Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paris again?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Mary63

I think its better to shoot them dead if only from an economic point of view.It costs thousands to keep people in prisons.

I wouldn't be thinking of hatchet mans family at all, I do think of the soldiers families though, so worrying to have your sons and daughters putting themselves in danger to protect us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

A lot of Muslums were shot. Pointed to a white supremicist. .

As was perfectly demonstrated by last year's mosque attack in Zurich... No wait, that wasn't a white supremacist after all, perhaps it's the murder of the two Imans in New York I'm thinking of, that was carried out by a white supremacist wasn't it... Well no, no it wasn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Vital Transformation

Don't bring a knife to a gunfight.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,152 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

This attack is another nail going into the French and more especially Parisian tourist industry.

Numbers visiting the Lourve have been down over the last couple of years and this aint going to help it.

I know statistically some will argue the chance of terrorist attack is very small and there is more chance of being hit by bus, but how many would want to go visit somewhere that is a major target.

And I don't think it is comparable to the likes of London in 1980s/1990s where the PIRA were more interested in causing very expensive widespread damage to infrastructure rather than just killing people.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

As was perfectly demonstrated by last year's mosque attack in Zurich... No wait, that wasn't a white supremacist after all, perhaps it's the murder of the two Imans in New York I'm thinking of, that was carried out by a white supremacist wasn't it... Well no, no it wasn't.

I had to make it my sig due to the sheer volume of posts around here that are logical fallacies but I do admit I enjoy subdividing fallacies into the appropriate category

Your post by my reckoning is a combination of the loaded question fallacy and the sadly overused and rather dull moving the posts fallacy. Lots of posters here call it the strawman argument but I think that's rather cliché these days.

Sadly you don't win a prize or get a sweet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moving_the_goalposts

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loaded_question

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭b_mac2

I can't wait until LePen gets in to power over there. You can be fückin sure that incidents like this, will be very very rare when she does.

The French won't be told it's just something that they have to put with either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

b_mac2 wrote: »
    I can't wait until LePen gets in to power over there. You can be fückin sure that incidents like this, will be very very rare when she does.

LePen at the moment is not going to win

However, a couple of major attacks in the next couple of months could change things

Laois_Man wrote: »
    LePen at the moment is not going to win

Déjà vu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭HONKEY TONK

Donald Trump

A new radical Islamic terrorist has just attacked in Louvre Museum in Paris. Tourists were locked down. France on edge again. GET SMART U.S.

Twitter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭HONKEY TONK

If LePen gets into power. The EU will be over.

Ireland will be back in the 1980s

Are you ready for that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

What can Le Pen do to stop these attacks ? Martial law ? Deport 10% of the population ?

I'm genuinely curious, I always read stuff like how the far right candidates will put a halt to it, without anything to back that claim up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Twitter
    https://twitter.com/MintRoyale/status/827504765856841729

^^^ More on the Trump tweet

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

It should be noted that his admin actually blamed the attack in Canada on Muslims and never corrected themselves as well. Its amazing how far right violence is given a complete free past, by the right.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    What can Le Pen do to stop these attacks ? Martial law ? Deport 10% of the population ?

I'm genuinely curious, I always read stuff like how the far right candidates will put a halt to it, without anything to back that claim up.

Maybe she will inspire a few more people to go shoot up mosques and murder?

If LePen gets into power. The EU will be over.

Ireland will be back in the 1980s

Are you ready for that?

If it means us leaving the EU, Vive Le Pen!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,143 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Im glad he was stopped. It's funny how nobody comments on the fact that the streets of many European cities are now patrolled by heavily armed soldiers in full combat gear. It's just the new normal apparently

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Unemployment and economic issues are bigger problems for people over here, even if some sections of the media would have us believe that it's not. Marine LePen doesn't have the economic savvy to get France out of the doldrums. But I suppose if she makes a big song and dance about Muslims then no-one will notice...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Yes, yes indeed , because a planned 30 man swat move is exactly the same as a split second 1 on 1 knife attack :rolleyes:
    :D

One said it never happens in Real life.

I'm guessing all this is feeding to the right now in France. So France out of the EU if she gets in any takers on bets ?

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Im glad he was stopped. It's funny how nobody comments on the fact that the streets of many European cities are now patrolled by heavily armed soldiers in full combat gear. It's just the new normal apparently

France has had soldiers on their streets since at least 1995, during the GIA's bombing campaign.
    If it means us leaving the EU, Vive Le Pen!

Somehow I always have this idea that people who think like this haven't got a clue what the EU does or doesn't do.
    What do you think would be better when out of the EU ?

And don't give me that 'sovereignty' crap ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭skankkuvhima

I had to make it my sig due to the sheer volume of posts around here that are logical fallacies but I do admit I enjoy subdividing fallacies into the appropriate category

Your post by my reckoning is a combination of the loaded question fallacy and the sadly overused and rather dull moving the posts fallacy. Lots of posters here call it the strawman argument but I think that's rather cliché these days.

Sadly you don't win a prize or get a sweet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moving_the_goalposts

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loaded_question

You should be careful of pointing out other peoples fallacies

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Fallacy_fallacy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

Reminds me of the Brazilian tourist just going about his day in London they shot in the tube.

:eek: Nasty! Couldn't they have just gone for his legs?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,143 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

France has had soldiers on their streets since at least 1995, during the GIA's bombing campaign.

)

I remember seeing the odd soldier at the airport or some such during my visits years ago but the constant presence of 10,000 of them patrolling tourist sites and shopping malls is a bit different don't you think?

Stigura wrote: »
    :eek: Nasty! Couldn't they have just gone for his legs?

No, Once the officer shoots he is trained for central mass for a kill shot. It's not Hollywood. Legs and arms are really hard to hit they flail around. Even stuff like the beanbag rounds from shotguns are central mass. Once lethal force is deemed to be used it is applied.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭elefant

No, Once the officer shoots he is trained for central mass for a kill shot. It's not Hollywood. Legs and arms are really hard to hit they flail around. Even stuff like the beanbag rounds from shotguns are central mass. Once lethal force is deemed to be used it is applied.

Think you missed the joke about being shot in the tube.

elefant wrote: »
    Think you missed the joke about being shot in the tube.

Sorry did not see the "Right up Main street" ref :P

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

I grew-up in France in the 80s/90s and never saw something like the current set-up.

It's not only large cities either. A few months ago I was stopped by armed military while waking in the centre of the fairy small and quite city I grew up in, because there was a bomb threat at the local synagogue and the streets around it were all in lock-down. I haven't lived there for over a decade but this was definitely not something to expect back then and it would have made the headlines of the local paper with possible mentions on national ones - now it is seen as normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Reminds me of the Brazilian tourist just going about his day in London they shot in the tube.

I remember that case differently. Was he not running from police who shouted at him to stop at a high-tension time in a south London tube station (high tension as in the immediate aftermath of the 07/07/05 tube bombings)?

Still tragic mind you, but not exactly in the 'going about his day' ballpark.

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    I remember seeing the odd soldier at the airport or some such during my visits years ago but the constant presence of 10,000 of them patrolling tourist sites and shopping malls is a bit different don't you think?
    Bob24 wrote: »
    I grew-up in France in the 80s/90s and never saw something like the current set-up.

It's not only large cities either. A few months ago I was stopped by armed military while waking in the centre of the fairy small and quite city I grew up in, because there was a bomb at the local synagogue and the streets around it were all in lock-down. I haven't lived there for over a decade but this was definitely not something to expect back then and it would have been the headlines of the local paper with possible mentions on national ones - now it is seen as normal.

It definitely increased in scale, but it's not a new phenomenon.

Especially near big tourist areas like in this case.

• Advertisement

topper75 wrote: »
    I remember that case differently. Was he not running from police who shouted at him to stop at a high-tension time in a south London tube station (high tension as in the immediate aftermath of the 07/07/05 tube bombings)?

Still tragic mind you, but not exactly in the 'going about his day' ballpark.
    I suppose he was wearing a heavy coat with wires sticking out of it too.

Advertisement