Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jimbo Slice memorial thread, feat Nate Dogg - The new Off Topic thread

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

They've cool stuff in penneys atm got some blue workout leggings

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

bluewolf wrote: »

Are they squat proof?

Oh - and I suspect different pics were expected !

Yeah i think they are ill try em out at home a bit first!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Thanks. I'm glad someone around here has some style.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,499 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Now Google ads is showing me nothing but leggings and t-shirts with meerkats in space. Thanks a bunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,537 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Now Google ads is showing me nothing but leggings and t-shirts with meerkats in space. Thanks a bunch.

To be fair, that's probably the most amusing thing about this whole debacle.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

You are welcome.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Blue workout leggings, blue top, blue runners, blue shaker, sorted. I just really need the blue version of my squat shoes, can't find em anywhere

Da ba di da ba di :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

Blue workout leggings, blue top, blue runners, blue shaker, sorted. I just really need the blue version of my squat shoes, can't find em anywhere

Da ba di da ba di :D

Which shoes do you have? I think Adidas has a few of the Powerlift 3s in a blueish colour.

There's a blue Nike Romaleo 2 colourway as well, might even be able to bag them at a bargain price with the Romaleo 3 being released.

• Advertisement

I think i have power perfect ones
    I'm buying a belt soon so shoes will have to wait a few months but that sounds handy - thanks!

Riddle me this...

If I put you in a field, or on a beach (ie; no walls, railings, doors, etc.), and gave you a set of dumbbells and a bench (adjustable), what exercises, using either (or neither) of those pieces of equipment could you use, to work on doing pull ups?

(post assumes you can't do pull-ups but want to improve)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,470 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Balance upside down on your head on the bench and work the dumbbells in a pullup motion. I dunno?

Closest I can think of is doing one-arm DB rows and chest supported DB rear delt flyes. Won't help much with your pullups but it'll work roughly the same area.

yeah struggling to think of any 'pulling' motion you can do without an actual bar/ledge/etc. to hold onto to pull up on. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 17,470 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Get a shovel, dig a hole thats about a foot deeper than you are tall and narrower than the length of the shovel. Then get into the hole, put the shovel across the top and use it for pullups. You're welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,924 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Bent over rows, or chest supported rows would be even better imo

• Registered Users Posts: 12,696 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Get a shovel, dig a hole thats about a foot deeper than you are tall and narrower than the length of the shovel. Then get into the hole, put the shovel across the top and use it for pullups. You're welcome.

Ye but if he works till failure then he's stuck in the hole. What if it rains? If he's struggling with pull ups then surely a muscle-up to get out will be impossible. You didn't think this through

• Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Finished a tub of pre-workout last week, it was strong enough with about 325mg of caffeine per scoop along with a few other things. Took about 3 months to go through it. How long of a break would you give it before going back on it (i.e. to lower the caffeine tolerance back down)? A month?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,537 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Ye but if he works till failure then he's stuck in the hole. What if it rains? If he's struggling with pull ups then surely a muscle-up to get out will be impossible. You didn't think this through

Inflatable arm bands on his ankles, obviously.

Cake Man wrote: »
    Finished a tub of pre-workout last week, it was strong enough with about 325mg of caffeine per scoop along with a few other things. Took about 3 months to go through it. How long of a break would you give it before going back on it (i.e. to lower the caffeine tolerance back down)? A month?

There's little point really. Caffeine tolerance only takes a few days.
    3 days in one study (250mg x 3 per day) I seen. Given its a 3 month supply, you'll probably at the max for the majority of that time regardless. Im unsure how a non-daily dose affects tolerance build up though. DO you drink coffee/tea?

FWIW the same study found that it takes longer than a day, but less than 3 weeks for the tolerance to return to baseline. Could be as low as a few days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Mellor wrote: »
    There's little point really. Caffeine tolerance only takes a few days.
    3 days in one study (250mg x 3 per day) I seen. Given its a 3 month supply, you'll probably at the max for the majority of that time regardless. Im unsure how a non-daily dose affects tolerance build up though. DO you drink coffee/tea?

FWIW the same study found that it takes longer than a day, but less than 3 weeks for the tolerance to return to baseline. Could be as low as a few days.
    Cheers for the info Mellor. I used to drink a cup of coffee a day but I'm kind of doing a little experiment to go a few weeks of basically no caffeine, then go back on the pre-workout to see how much of a difference it makes starting from scratch. Sometimes I find there's not much difference and a lot of it is just "in the head" so I want to just put it to the test. Might even run another little trial after that by taking a caffeine pill under the same conditions.

The studied I mentioned a study on coffee drinkers. As I was drinking a lot last year. 10-15 cups a week at a guess. (Actually coffees, not the buckets of milk they serve in the likes of Costa/Starbucks and everywhere I went in Ireland)

They had people abstain for 3 weeks. Before going back on the caffeine. Strong caffine reactions, for the first days, but levelled off after day 3. That doesn't mean that there no effect after 3 days, just that the effects are stable and will be the same after 30 days of caffeine. Which explains why I have 2+ coffees a day without issue. But people who've only ever had the odd random coffee go on likes it's meth, and wonder how you can ever sleep 12 hours later.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Riddle me this...

If I put you in a field, or on a beach (ie; no walls, railings, doors, etc.), and gave you a set of dumbbells and a bench (adjustable), what exercises, using either (or neither) of those pieces of equipment could you use, to work on doing pull ups?

(post assumes you can't do pull-ups but want to improve)

pull overs for lats and bent over rows??

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bigronnie9

Can anybody recommend somewhere in Cork to buy Hex Dumbbell sets??

bigronnie9 wrote: »
    Can anybody recommend somewhere in Cork to buy Hex Dumbbell sets??

Not Cork exactly but found online that these fellows had the best price I could find when I was buying.

http://www.fitnessequipmentireland.ie/shop/hex-dumbbells/

chunky peanut butter > smooth

also panda peanut butter > *

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭ Jemma Weak Headset

Mellor just on the coffee drinking.

I recently had a full medical, all went well except for stage one hypertension. I ticked all the boxes in terms of good diet, low sodium, non smoker, moderate drinker and plenty of exercise but where I fell down was coffee intake.

I was easily having five expresso's a day, I fecking love my coffee.

Not wanting to completely crash I started to reduce my coffee over a seven day period and my BP is steadily come back to normal as my coffee intake was reduced.

I'm down to an expresso in the morning and one in the afternoon (pre-training) and feel so much better for it.

My resting heart rate was low anyway and hasn't changed all that much, but I'm surprised at how rapidly my stage one hypertension dropped to 'pre-hypertension and back to normal this morning. I'll continue to monitor it in my training log for awhile.

I was only up to about 3 a day. I'll have to go through that study again some time. From memory the applicants were on about 5 cups worth. The just of that that the effects on blood pressure drop gradually reduce over he first 3 day, and then stablize. That's all tolerane takes. But it still has an effect on BP. say for example, +30% on day 1, buy drops to +10% beyond day 3 (numbers made up).
    The effects last a few hours so at 5 a day I'd say you were constantly running a raised BP.

Can't beat an espresso before 9am rolling sessions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,696 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Mellor wrote: »
    I was only up to about 3 a day. I'll have to go through that study again some time. From memory the applicants were on about 5 cups worth. The just of that that the effects on blood pressure drop gradually reduce over he first 3 day, and then stablize. That's all tolerane takes. But it still has an effect on BP. say for example, +30% on day 1, buy drops to +10% beyond day 3 (numbers made up).
    The effects last a few hours so at 5 a day I'd say you were constantly running a raised BP.

Can't beat an espresso before 9am rolling sessions.

I'm not an espresso drinker but how long would the effects of an espresso last in a workout?

Advertisement