Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This is Jobstown.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

tupenny wrote: »
    I thought it was a very good watch. The blonde lady who lost her partner and continued the boxing club was great. Inspiring even!
    Read this thread before watching and expected to be outraged!

Shame she's been getting badly abused on Facebook and threatened with legal action from his ex wife

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭AryaStark

222233 wrote: »
    I believe it's a water protest, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzKz69VkYJE

Is this documentary up on 3 player yet, I'm fearful to watch it, I think it will make me eternally angry. I think it's disgraceful they named it after the town in which I'm sure there are plenty of hard working people.

There are plenty of hard working people on the show. I am well impressed so far. Especially with the guy who is saving for flying lessons... working hard to get what he wants.
    Also the mma fighter and the lady boxing trainer are both working hard for the community.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

I read somewhere recently that something like 45 percent of adult males in the area are unemployed.

Does anyone have any idea what area, or estate, in Ireland had the highest unemployment rate when our economy was at its peak? (summer 2008). There is a hilariously blinkered leftist on The Journal who claimed that of the 4% of the population unemployed during the boom only a tiny fraction of them were unemployed for more than 12 months. This surely must be bollocks. I know a fair few men almost continuously unemployed since the 80's recession. Add to that we have something like 18,000 heroin addicts in the country, the majority of them unemployed, and a few thousand more from certain....social groups who are evasive of work, this tiny proportion claim sounds like bollocks.

A lot of the people you describe above wouldn't be classed as unemployed though, they would be on disability.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

I think it was kind of exemplified that past episode, the girl who did the boxing got pregnant, after being refused to be allowed to go back to the local school cos she's caused so much trouble and been suspended so many times, etc. And her mums response was 'its not my business, gotta let kids find their own way'

My childhood wasn't perfect, my dad battered me black and blue every day and did all sorts to me, but I can't imagine my actual good parent my mother, letting me just give up on life like that at such an early age. Basically allowing her to become a mini version of her mum, its so sad and stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

Gatling wrote: »
    tupenny wrote: »
    I thought it was a very good watch. The blonde lady who lost her partner and continued the boxing club was great. Inspiring even!
    Read this thread before watching and expected to be outraged!

Shame she's been getting badly abused on Facebook and threatened with legal action from his ex wife
    Why is she getting abused. She us an obvious asset to the area imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Why is she getting abused. She us an obvious asset to the area imo.

Cos she's not his first wife or whatever. People are stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭BabyCheeses

Just watching the full episode here. There communion outfits are an absolute disgrace. Easily 2ks down the drain.

Everybody seems to have apple products too :rolleyes:

Is that you Joan?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,365 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I though discussion of TV programs was not allowed on AH?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Just watching the full episode here. There communion outfits are an absolute disgrace. Easily 2ks down the drain.

This is one thing which bugs me about Catholicism. The lavish displays of wealth of some (not all) members on Sacrament days like First Communion. Same thing with the establishment itself and the likes of Vatican City.

Christ abhorred that kind of bull, he lived a humble, poor lifestyle. Wealth meant nothing to him.

This is one thing which bugs me about Catholicism. The lavish displays of wealth of some (not all) members on Sacrament days like First Communion. Same thing with the establishment itself and the likes of Vatican City.

Christ abhorred that kind of bull, he lived a humble, poor lifestyle. Wealth meant nothing to him.
    Good job he didn't live in jobstown then. !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Is that you Joan?
    I don't think was Joan
    And this isn't Joan

Things like big **** off tvs , ott communion celebrations, etc can leave people in wealthier areas who don't have money for things like that asking themselves questions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭C. Montgomery Gurns

I think it was kind of exemplified that past episode, the girl who did the boxing got pregnant, after being refused to be allowed to go back to the local school.

To hear her moaning about there being nothing to do in Jobstown.

She has, shown in the documentary alone, a boxing club and an MMA club on her doorstep.
    Probably a few other sports clubs to boot.
    She lives down the road from a Leisureplex, a cinema, what once was Ireland's largest shopping centre. She lives a short bus trip/ Luas ride from a city centre visited annually by millons of tourists. She lives a few miles from a great day's hiking in the hills above Tallaght.

Put her in some kip of a country town in Roscommon and see how many facilities she is gifted there. But no. Her family can't afford to fix their own windows and doors rather than bleeting to the corpo to do it but they can afford another baby at 17 or whatever.

So darcy his present partner and baby got the house. But did he ever get a job ? 4th time I have asked this on this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭C. Montgomery Gurns

So darcy his present partner and baby got the house. But did he ever get a job ? 4th time I have asked this on this thread.

I missed the first episode. In our present high demand high cost climate how did an unemployed teenage couple manage to get a house at an anyway affordable rate? I know it's technically illegal to turn down people paying part of the rent via rent allowance but still.

The granny was some sight smoking infront of the kid and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭milehip

Yeah he got the start allright,next week I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,186 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I'm very liberal regarding people being on social welfare once their not working or claiming several payments. So that side of the programme woouldn't bother
    me.
    The one thing that really pushes my buttons is when people are in council house and don't carry out basic repairs. The hinges never fell off any of our doors over the years and if they did they'd be easily replaced same goes with the window all it didn't require much to fix to keep out the draft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭Robineen

Elemonator wrote: »
    To be honest OP, I'd rather be a hard worker and come out with a smidge less than the dole a week than sit around and be a waste of space. It's good for anyone.

+1. I am seriously ill and consequently not working currently. I would love to be working and wouldn't care less that a tiny fraction of my taxes would be going towards dole moochers. Honestly would not care less. It's not healthy to stew in bitterness over something like that. Dole moocher have a sh1te life from what I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Robineen wrote: »
    +1. I am seriously ill and consequently not working currently. I would love to be working and wouldn't care less that a tiny fraction of my taxes would be going towards dole moochers. Honestly would not care less. It's not healthy to stew in bitterness over something like that. Dole moocher have a sh1te life from what I can see.

Sadly,there is in Ireland,a very significant number looking at it from a different perspective.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

I'm very liberal regarding people being on social welfare once their not working or claiming several payments. So that side of the programme woouldn't bother
    me.
    The one thing that really pushes my buttons is when people are in council house and don't carry out basic repairs. The hinges never fell off any of our doors over the years and if they did they'd be easily replaced same goes with the window all it didn't require much to fix to keep out the draft.

Probably because, Most of the stuff in CC house are made of MDF or cheap Chipboard. Does not take anything more that regular wear and tear to pull the screws out. Then you have to move the hinges. General painting should be no issue. But stuff like toilets flusher mechanisms these days are pretty flimsy. Most inside doors now would have 3 spot hinging and fire doors as well no issue there. It's the likes of kitchens cabinets, Wardrobes. I have seen some of the stuff they put in these places. It's not actually designed to last more than about 2 years. They expect you to start gutting the place and putting in your own stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

mariaalice wrote: »
    I though discussion of TV programs was not allowed on AH?

Is talking about talking about tv programmes ok?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Probably because, Most of the stuff in CC house are made of MDF or cheap Chipboard. Does not take anything more that regular wear and tear to pull the screws out. Then you have to move the hinges. General painting should be no issue. But stuff like toilets flusher mechanisms these days are pretty flimsy. Most inside doors now would have 3 spot hinging and fire doors as well no issue there. It's the likes of kitchens cabinets, Wardrobes. I have seen some of the stuff they put in these places. It's not actually designed to last more than about 2 years. They expect you to start gutting the place and putting in your own stuff.

When you're renting a house at a massive discount covered by the tax payer and state things like that should be your responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JaCrispy

Jobstown. Such a misnomer.

When you're renting a house at a massive discount covered by the tax payer and state things like that should be your responsibility.

Really, So you fix stuff in a house you rent ? It's the landlords responsibility. Especially if the place is falling apart with normal wear and tear. I wish people would just think for a second. Putting people up in Private rental would be prohibitively expensive.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

The rent is means tested now so that your paying just what you can afford and no more.
    For some tenants this meant that their rent was reduced
    All LA tenants got letters explaining that the rent no longer covered repairs (except of course structural issues) and you would have to replace and repair from your own means.
    Some people are having a lot of trouble accepting this.

infogiver wrote: »
    The rent is means tested now so that your paying just what you can afford and no more.
    For some tenants this meant that their rent was reduced
    All LA tenants got letters explaining that the rent no longer covered repairs (except of course structural issues) and you would have to replace and repair from your own means.
    Some people are having a lot of trouble accepting this.
    Maintenance and Repairs to your Council Home

If you are a tenant in a Dublin City Council home on which you pay rent, the following repairs will be carried out by us:

Structural repairs
    Roof repairs, repairs to external walls and doors
    Electrical faults
    Window Repairs (excluding glass)
    Flooding
    Any other repairs due to the normal wear and tear

That's no longer the case in the large IN land county where I live.

infogiver wrote: »
    That's no longer the case in the large IN land county where I live.

Convenient care too link ? I picked Dublin as it's the first pop-up.

Convenient care too link ? I picked Dublin as it's the first pop-up.

http://www.tipperarycoco.ie/sites/default/files/Publications/Tenants%20Handbook%20Housing%20Maintenance%202015_0.pdf

Pages 17 to about 22 spell out what the tenant is now responsible for
    Very interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭ShadyAcres

I remember a couple of years ago channel 4 did a similar program to this in an area I used to live in in England. I even recognised one or two people on it who were the main characters and boy were they characters. I can remember this family 15 or 20 years ago. The type that it wouldn't surprise me if they were on Jeremy Kyle. They really did pick the worst of the worst.
    The area itself isn't that bad. There's no piles of rubbish on the streets like was projected but channel 4 were making out that every single family were the lowest of the low when it wasn't the case. They were even paying gangs of youngfellas to ride up and down the street on their mountain bikes popping wheelies. The program was called skint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

To be fair, people are focusing on the cartoon dysfunctional family (as fully intended by the programme makers who no doubt trawled the estate to find them) at the expense of the others - The majority of the other families that are actually working. The family whose daughter has emigrated to try and get on. The fella setting up his gym. The woman trying to run a community resource by herself for local kids. The young fella trying to finance his own pilot dreams despite all the hurdles around him. Knowing the area well, the latter are far more representative of the majority of people than the former but nobody outside the area cares.

Advertisement