Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This is Jobstown.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

infogiver wrote: »
    It's hot
    It's got pools
    It's got sky sports
    It's got proper food
    It's got Irish pubs
    With Irish people in them
    Wearing UK football jerseys
    What's not to like?

All of the above.

I once got lost and ended up in Jobstown in the middle of rush hour.

There was no traffic until I got out of Jobstown.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Birneybau wrote: »
    I dare say this was filmed ages ago.

you mean it's not live :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

Simples.
    You get the state to give you a free house. According to a lot of people you get to have 3 holidays a year too :pac:

No if you own or even part own a property then you won't be considered for the housing list and then won't get a council house.So it's not simples.
    By the time I left home I knew that I had to provide a roof for myself by going to work to exchange my effort and time for money.
    When I see able bodied people standing about not working and expecting to be housed and fed it still amazes me
    And I'm 52 now

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭nerobert

Anyone any idea when this will be on 3 player ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭A Battered Mars Bar

F*cking love these programmes. Haven't watched this yet though! Just pure indulgence watching how the other half live. All the luxuries they have and the bits where you say god damn losers! Etc it's great. Great televiewing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I was in conversation with 2 women who work in Housing in our LA
    When social housing tenants get into arrears and won't "engage" they will call on them at home often accompanied by a CWO to see if their are "social" issues that can be addressed and to basically help them to look at their income/expenditure etc
    Social housing is means tested so everyone just pays what they can afford
    The number of tenants who consider Sky tv full package at €105 per month "non-negotiable" is staggering
    Even when they're being told that they will have to cut back on something in order to pay the rent, or ultimately face eviction, the sky and the fags are "off limits"

What's gas there's currently 50+ million owed to local authorities due unpaid and rent arrears across the country ,
    And people actually blamed the recession can't pay €100 + to pay for the rent but as you said 120 on sky sports and the latest gadgets ,
    And having more kids

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Gatling wrote: »
    What's gas there's currently 50+ million owed to local authorities due unpaid and rent arrears across the country ,
    And people actually blamed the recession can't pay €100 + to pay for the rent but as you said 120 on sky sports and the latest gadgets ,
    And having more kids

Now I'm not being smart but I've sky plus sports and movies, multiroom, boxsets and HD for 96.50 per month

I'm not a LA housing tenant though but that 30+ per month saving they could get if they rang up might pay some of their rent.

I do think with some on the lower end of the social ladder that there is a lack of education/awareness out there and do wonder if they got that education would they be better off?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,477 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

nerobert wrote: »

It being TV3, probably sometime mid-2032

And having more kids

You can have a family in receipt of
    €188+
    €124+
    €60 (2kids)+
    €100 ( 18 year old) =
    €472
    And as you say rent €100 per week and they will be consistently in arrears safe in the knowledge that they won't be evicted.
    With the current crisis though I can see the arrears being clamped down on soon

• Registered Users Posts: 13,083 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

In fairness how do yous know there paying for sky ? Most people are using the android boxs for illegal streams as i do myself which are either free or a much much smaller fee for iptv.

Also i know for a fact a lot of people buy boxs of smokes in bulk cause there not buying them from the shop there buying them from someone whos selling them on the side for cheaper.

Nothing is as it seems lads :pac: .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

They should do a follow up called This Is Outraged Box Rooms so the country can crack a few tax-subsidized Dutchies and enjoy the storm.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

You know that 'Found Poems' thing that Dave Gorman does?
    Quality material right on this thread.

Phoebas wrote: »
    You know that 'Found Poems' thing that Dave Gorman does?
    Quality material right on this thread.

I've tried alerting him to liberal.ie Facebook page or FM 104 Jeremy and Adrian Facebook

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Stheno wrote: »
    All of the above.

I once got lost and ended up in Jobstown in the middle of rush hour.

There was no traffic until I got out of Jobstown.

You'll find very little traffic at rush hour in any housing estate around the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Seems one of the people mentioned in the programme are up in arms over it ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Plenty on the dole on the SS maybe a ...fast google..... Shankill the crap part Rathsallagh ? Make a great show ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Omackeral wrote: »
    ''Like I've to get 12 bottles of milk, 6 slice pans and whatever else and we haven't a penny to rub together at the end of the week.''

Meanwhile Sky Sports is on in the background and she's smoking in every single scene.

And then falls into the poverty and child poverty bull**** stats we have to listen to from sinn fein aaa pbp.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

The upper class: Keeps all of the money,pays none of the taxes.

The middle class: Pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.

The poor are there...just to scare the **** out of the middle class.

- George Carlin.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

No if you own or even part own a property then you won't be considered for the housing list and then won't get a council house.So it's not simples.
    By the time I left home I knew that I had to provide a roof for myself by going to work to exchange my effort and time for money.
    When I see able bodied people standing about not working and expecting to be housed and fed it still amazes me
    And I'm 52 now

You do realise I was making a joke right? :pac:
    But since you replied back with a serious reply I will give a serious reply too....

You say you are 52, right? well you're old enough to realise life isn't fair. You're old enough to realise everyone is out for as much as they can get. Some people do it the 'honest' way and work and save. Others milk the social welfare system. Life isn't fair.

Seems one of the people mentioned in the programme are up in arms over it ,

What did they expect :pac:
    A really good question to ask is why would anyone ever agree to appear on one of these programmes? you know you're going to come off as some dole sponge.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,454 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

222233 wrote: »
    I had to youtube and google this Jobstown and saw the strangest most ironic video ever; a number of people appear to be graduating from college, meanwhile a number of other people are staging some form of "traitor" protest outside the gates (not sure what it was actually I can't understand).

Linky to video?

• Advertisement

You do realise I was making a joke right? :pac:
    But since you replied back with a serious reply I will give a serious reply too....

You say you are 52, right? well you're old enough to realise life isn't fair. You're old enough to realise everyone is out for as much as they can get. Some people do it the 'honest' way and work and save. Others milk the social welfare system. Life isn't fair.

What did they expect :pac:
    A really good question to ask is why would anyone ever agree to appear on one of these programmes? you know you're going to come off as some dole sponge.

How did you get from my post that I'm crying "it's not fair!"
    Amazed is what I am, still, and I feel entitled to point it out, as do an increasing amount of people.
    They agree to appear on the Programme because they have an overwhelming sense of victimhood which they would like acknowledged by society in general.
    Then they kick up when they are presented with themselves as others actually see them and how they are in reality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭jimmy blevins

Linky to video?

That's the infamous water protest where Joan Burton was supposedly held against her will.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,186 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

nerobert wrote: »

Looks like it won't be going on the 3 Player, still not there.

It's repeated tonight at 11.20pm

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

Linky to video?

That's the infamous water protest where Joan Burton was supposedly held against her will.
    The woman who teaches boxing got a couple of very good digs in about the water charges. Lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Stheno wrote: »
    Now I'm not being smart but I've sky plus sports and movies, multiroom, boxsets and HD for 96.50 per month

I'm not a LA housing tenant though but that 30+ per month saving they could get if they rang up might pay some of their rent.

I do think with some on the lower end of the social ladder that there is a lack of education/awareness out there and do wonder if they got that education would they be better off?

This however,flies in the face of reality...

Reality is,that the schools in Jobstown and similar areas tend to be designated as "disadvantaged",a tag which then triggers a multi-agency package of assistances to their students.

Hint: If you want to see well resourced and equipped 2nd Level Schools,then do NOT head for the leafy middle-class suburbs.

However,resource provision does not tell the full tale...which tends to revolve around that old saying about "Bringing a Horse to water..etc etc..." ;)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

AlekSmart wrote: »
    This however,flies in the face of reality...

Reality is,that the schools in Jobstown and similar areas tend to be designated as "disadvantaged",a tag which then triggers a multi-agency package of assistances to their students.

Hint: If you want to see well resourced and equipped 2nd Level Schools,then do NOT head for the leafy middle-class suburbs.

However,resource provision does not tell the full tale...which tends to revolve around that old saying about "Bringing a Horse to water..etc etc..." ;)

A school (hence the DEIS funding you mention) is only one factor in educational underachievement. You've got stuff like home environment, historical familial underachievement, school social environment and peer pressure for a start. You confirm as much yourself by citing supposedly underfunded 'leafy' schools that, however, somehow still manage to maintain high rates of third level entry.

A relatively small but steady/growing number of kids do end up in third level from disadvantaged backgrounds despite all the setbacks. And indeed the overwhelming majority just end up as normal, working citizens even if they don't go to college. That's because only a small minority are the kind of inverterate lumpen types so beloved of the bed wetters here, who, dealt the same hand as the people they sneer at, would probably end up far worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭222233

Linky to video?

I believe it's a water protest, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzKz69VkYJE

Is this documentary up on 3 player yet, I'm fearful to watch it, I think it will make me eternally angry. I think it's disgraceful they named it after the town in which I'm sure there are plenty of hard working people.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

A school (hence the DEIS funding you mention) is only one factor in educational underachievement. You've got stuff like home environment, historical familial underachievement, school social environment and peer pressure for a start. You confirm as much yourself by citing supposedly underfunded 'leafy' schools that, however, somehow still manage to maintain high rates of third level entry.

A relatively small but steady/growing number of kids do end up in third level from disadvantaged backgrounds despite all the setbacks. And indeed the overwhelming majority just end up as normal, working citizens even if they don't go to college. That's because only a small minority are the kind of inverterate lumpen types so beloved of the bed wetters here, who, dealt the same hand as the people they sneer at, would probably end far worse.

That just about covers all the bases I reckon......

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

AlekSmart wrote: »
    That just about covers all the bases I reckon......

Just because there's not an environment or history of third level in families doesn't mean they're running amok like some of the nuts that always get highlighted. Often it's just not a priority, culturally and historically.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭C. Montgomery Gurns

I counted 4 packs of Silk Cut Purple on the table for one of the women. That's 40 quid of cigarettes. Her poor son (who has a child) thought you could buy an apartment for 30k.

The Darndale programme TV3 was a disaster in that it made the area look bad and one of the "Good Guys" on the show ended up going to prison for Armed Robbery.

I also think it was misguided to "celebrate" Jobstown when a young lad was murdered last week

I remember on the Darndale show there was a woman with months worth of rubbish piled up in the back garden because, she claimed, she couldn't afford her bin charges (mine come to a whopping 65 odd cent per day, or 32 cents each between her and her adult daughter).

Particularly galling was the empty box of Budweiser in the background among the rubbish as she was claiming this.

Advertisement