Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Use your bloody hand brake!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

But theres no rule about also taking your foot off the brake pedal.

May not be a written rule but it should be common courtesy.

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Tickets on sale now!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Carpentry

I drive automatic. Wife passed the test recently, was never told by the instructor to go into neutral gear and use handbrake. Thats one thing.

Another thing is that cars like Mercs and Lexus have "leg handbrake", dont know how to call it, but you basically put/release brake pedal which is next to the gas pedal on the left using your foot. I know, parking brake its called. Cant imagine doing this every time I stop.

Another thing, indicators on the car in front of you, they can be more disturbing than brake lights, especially at night. What would you then ? Sunglasses after dark ?

Some things are unavoidable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Neilw

My car has auto hold, as soon as I stop it applies the brakes and brake lights stay on. Nothing I can do about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭duffman3833

That why I love UK and up north you get the orange 1st
    if this was down south it would help traffic flow better as people will be more prepared to take off from lights, only downside i can see to it is there will be a lot of drag races :)

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭SBPhoto

If you are being blinded by Brake Lights and indicators i would suggest you get an eye test as soon as possible, But you can't win someone else posted recently about not being able to see the indicators on some cars as they are so small.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

my car has hillstart assist and stop start so basically you never use the handbrake unless parked. Sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭sbs2010

Carpentry wrote: »
    I drive automatic. Wife passed the test recently, was never told by the instructor to go into neutral gear and use handbrake.

My wife is taking lessons at the minute in an automatic and her instructor has told her to apply handbrake (operated by left foot) if stopped for 10secs or more.

So that's not necessary to pass the test then , no?

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭SBPhoto

my car has Electric Handbrake, hillstart assist and stop start so don't have or need a handbrake to use

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

Carpentry wrote: »
    I drive automatic. Wife passed the test recently, was never told by the instructor to go into neutral gear and use handbrake. Thats one thing.

Another thing is that cars like Mercs and Lexus have "leg handbrake", dont know how to call it, but you basically put/release brake pedal which is next to the gas pedal on the left using your foot. I know, parking brake its called. Cant imagine doing this every time I stop.

Another thing, indicators on the car in front of you, they can be more disturbing than brake lights, especially at night. What would you then ? Sunglasses after dark ?

Some things are unavoidable.

It's refered to as an emergency brake..

Same thing as a handbrake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Carpentry

sbs2010 wrote: »
    My wife is taking lessons at the minute in an automatic and her instructor has told her to apply handbrake (operated by left foot) if stopped for 10secs or more.

So that's not necessary to pass the test then , no?

I dont know if she'd been stationary for more then 10 minutes, I'd say she wasn't, but she was taking lessons with instructor and he never mentioned that. Same during the test. She passed it first time, never using N gear or handbrake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭White Clover

KC161 wrote: »
    Many Irish drivers don't know what they are!

It seems many cars don't have indicators!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

I was surprised when I did driving test in Ireland after 13 years driving experience, and I was told by instructor, to engage handbrake when stopped at junctions, lights, etc...

Nonsense, and I never did this outside driving test in Ireland - before or after it.

I generally use handbrake very seldom.
    Never during driving (except maybe from some odd handbrake u-turns ;) )
    And very seldom during parking - only when parked on a hill or in high winds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Thought I was the only one who really hated this...and once you notice it you can't unnotice it :-(

When you are already stopped, for instance at traffic lights, please engage your hand brake and take your foot off of the brake pedal..................

Nah........... I'll use the footbrake............. cheers though

• Registered Users Posts: 7,922 ✭✭✭cletus

I've literally never been dazzeld by brake lights

• Registered Users Posts: 7,423 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Most new VAG cars have an electronic "handbrake" with auto-hold. Auto-hold engages whenever you come to a stop at a junction or whatever. Even if you take your foot off the brake pedal, hold remains engaged until you blip the throttle again. While hold is engaged, the brake lights stay lit. The handbrake only engages when you park up and turn off the ignition. I haven't manually applied a handbrake in 4 years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 820 ✭✭✭BunkMoreland

I never use the handbrake while stopped. Never put it in neutral either. Such messing about.

Put it into first, foot on clutch and brake. If it annoys you, I really couldn't give a ****!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

In the 1970s some cars were made with a relay that dimmed the rear indicators and the brake lights if the side lights were on. This had the effect of reducing the dazzle for the following drivers. It was dropped for some reason.

I have a Golf manual and I always put the handbrake on and select neutral when stopped at lights. I also have an automatic that shuts off the engine when stopped and restarts the engine if I release the foot brake. So foot stays on the foot brake until I am ready to go. Nothing I can do about it - so sorry guy behind, but if it troubles you, your eyesight might need checking..

Eyesight should be tested at every renewal of the driving licence. Eyesight does deteriorate with age, and glaucoma and macular degeneration can go unnoticed until it is too late.

Should have gone to Eyesight Savers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

Most cars don't bother me - but Hyundai's seem to have abnormally brighter lights than most other brands.

Nate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

Where I come from we call it a parking brake as you only use it when parking up and leaving the car (also can be used on steep hill starts). I make no apologies for blinding you. I will continue to leave my car in gear with my foot on the brake pedal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,928 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Pet Hate:

Brake lights can be quite bright, especially newer LED based ones. They are bright for a reason, to warn cars behind that you are stopping.

When you are already stopped, for instance at traffic lights, please engage your hand brake and take your foot off of the brake pedal. This will prevent the driver behind you being dazzled by your shiney brake lights!

Thank You!

Polite Rant Over!

I'd say there's a few people out there struggling with electrical hand brakes. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭kirving

What's with the "I couldn't give a crap if I blind you" posts? Not exactly a courteous attitude to have in general.

Not that it makes the slightest bit of difference, but at least some agree that the issue is a function of modern car design and there's very little that can be done about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

CiniO wrote: »
    I was surprised when I did driving test in Ireland after 13 years driving experience, and I was told by instructor, to engage handbrake when stopped at junctions, lights, etc...

Nonsense, and I never did this outside driving test in Ireland - before or after it.

I generally use handbrake very seldom.
    Never during driving (except maybe from some odd handbrake u-turns ;) )
    And very seldom during parking - only when parked on a hill or in high winds.

I learnt to drive in Ireland and passed my test here also. There was never any requirement to use the hand brake apart from when parked.

Must have been your instructor!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

In the 1970s some cars were made with a relay that dimmed the rear indicators and the brake lights if the side lights were on. This had the effect of reducing the dazzle for the following drivers. It was dropped for some reason.

I have a Golf manual and I always put the handbrake on and select neutral when stopped at lights. I also have an automatic that shuts off the engine when stopped and restarts the engine if I release the foot brake. So foot stays on the foot brake until I am ready to go. Nothing I can do about it - so sorry guy behind, but if it troubles you, your eyesight might need checking..

Eyesight should be tested at every renewal of the driving licence. Eyesight does deteriorate with age, and glaucoma and macular degeneration can go unnoticed until it is too late.

Should have gone to Eyesight Savers.
    I have to do a medical to renew my licence every 5 years at a cost to myself.

It should be mandatory to do a medical with every licence renewal regardless of age.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,465 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Pet Hate:

Brake lights can be quite bright, especially newer LED based ones. They are bright for a reason, to warn cars behind that you are stopping.

When you are already stopped, for instance at traffic lights, please engage your hand brake and take your foot off of the brake pedal. This will prevent the driver behind you being dazzled by your shiney brake lights!

Thank You!

Polite Rant Over!

What? Thats a joke surely. Have you sat a test?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

I'm aware of the issue with brake lights on at lights etc when in traffic, especially as my car has retrofitted rear LED brake lights from the next year's facelift. The best that I can normally do is put the selector in park when I know I'm going to be a while in that queue of traffic. If it's going to be 10-15 seconds, it's better for me to stay in D and on the brake. Longer than that, into P and off the brake.

+1 for the medical eye check, it's always good to get a clear bill, and if anything is ontoward, early detection heightens the chance of a cure or any mitigation of the condition.

And yes, I've also found that the Hyundai cars have very high surface brightness rear lights, and they are not comfortable to sit behind. I suppose better that than poor rear lights like the cars in the 80's..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

But only if you are going to pay attention to the sequence of the traffic lights and not sit there for ages after the lights turn green trying to get the car in gear and move off.

Doesnt stop you applying the handbrake
    Del2005 wrote: »
    Both my current and last car recommended keeping my foot on the break when stopped and I'm sure that most autos are the same.

If you are getting dazzle I'd be looking at your windows as any dirt on the inside will cause this or it could be an eye problem, I get terrible dazzle and staring when driving Fords with the heated screen yet no one else seems to notice I get a full eye test annually.

Your car recommended it, what is this a black trans am with a sweeping red light on the front? where did it recommend it?
    As a stationary object, I'd expect anything that hits into you, it wont matter what brakes are on, if there's enough force to move you, it'll move you.

Its still going to better with the brake applied and will mean you will stop sonner rather than roll if hit or some way incapacitated.
    BronsonTB wrote: »
    May not be a written rule but it should be common courtesy.

I agree, but courtesy is gone

• Registered Users Posts: 18,945 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

cerastes wrote: »

Your car recommended it, what is this a black trans am with a sweeping red light on the front? where did it recommend it?

No need for fancy talking cars when I have this amazing thing called the owners manual.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,967 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

The hand break is also known as the parking break.
    I don't believe I've ever used it at traffic lights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

KC161 wrote: »
    Many Irish drivers don't know what they are!
    You're a bit slow off the mark, I'm sure that's the point he was making ;)

Advertisement