Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

receiving TV via UPC wall connection but not subscribed?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭ozmo

stevek93 wrote: »
    Jasus alaonge has got popular again, I remember as a kid this was all we had to entertain ourselves with.

I have my digital box banished to back room as I hate the the way the fan comes on at odd times even when the tv is off.

The number stations on Analog is fine for me, and not far off the quality of the UPC SCART Digital box we have.

So anyone know simpliest way I can get SV + VirginMedia Analog on my tv without a separate settop box... ?

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

ozmo wrote: »
    I have my digital box banished to back room as I hate the the way the fan comes on at odd times even when the tv is off.

The number stations on Analog is fine for me, and not far off the quality of the UPC SCART Digital box we have.

So anyone know simpliest way I can get SV + VirginMedia Analog on my tv without a separate settop box... ?

Wonder if you can you use a splitter, having the Soarview and analog on the one coax?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,476 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

stevek93 wrote: »
    Wonder if you can you use a splitter, having the Soarview and analog on the one coax?

If you combine both and your Saorview comes from Three Rock there will be a signal conflict on UHF Ch.30. This frequency is used by Channel4 on analogue cable and Mux1 on Saorview.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

The Cush wrote: »
    If you combine both and your Saorview comes from Three Rock there will be a signal conflict on UHF Ch.30. This frequency is used by Channel4 on analogue cable and Mux1 on Saorview.

Best to stick to analog so. You can get a decent picture if from the analog if you do it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Is there any way of feeding these channels into something like TVheadend ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,568 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Ste- wrote: »
    Is there any way of feeding these channels into something like TVheadend ?

Use an ancient version that still supports Video4Linux and get multiple old WinTV cards. Otherwise no.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

L1011 wrote: »
    Use an ancient version that still supports Video4Linux and get multiple old WinTV cards. Otherwise no.

When you say multiple do you mean one card per channel type thing.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,568 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Ste- wrote: »
    When you say multiple do you mean one card per channel type thing.

Yeah. Not sure if multi channel analogue cards ever existed. You need to get PAL (I) compatible cards that support the full VHF band - some only support conventional Band III which means you miss these channels on normal setups:

CC 11 / 232 MHz - Sky1
    CC 13 / 248 MHz - Setanta Ireland
    CC 15 / 256 MHz - 3e*
    CC 16 / 264 MHz - Nickelodeon/Comedy Central
    CC 17 / 272 MHz - MTV
    CC 18 / 280 MHz - Sky News

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If you could use a filter / diplexer to block 30 then you could mix the analog signal with the 50/54 from Kippure.

Can we combine the saorview (hd rte) with the analong (other stations)?
    http://www.freetv.ie/tv-aerial-and-satellite-combiner/
    I would like use the analong + saorview on a tv that has 1 antanae socket.

I tried just wiring the two together using some connection block UPC left behind once (1 in and 2 out) and the Saorview signal was perfect but the analog stations although present, had bad reception. I've ordered the the connector above (2 in and 1 out) and Ill let you know if this is better.

My goal is to use the TV tuner to get both Saorview And the VM Stations so I dont need a second remote control.

“Roll it back”

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

IF and it's a big IF your set top box accepts CEC commands you could use one remote.

Some BluRay players do, Raspberry Pi does, not sure about chromecast
    most satellite receivers DON'T, some SKY boxes freak out

so YMMV

or get a universal remote control, unless you stuck with something like Virgin Horizon or Sharp TV's that don't use IR.

Or use boxes / TV that can be controlled from app on PC/Tablet/phone

If you could use a filter / diplexer to block 30 then you could mix the analog signal with the 50/54 from Kippure.
    If Kippure is available to you, not available to all, hence the reason Three Rock exists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

Can we combine the saorview (hd rte) with the analong (other stations)?

Using eg. This

http://www.freetv.ie/tv-aerial-and-satellite-combiner/

I would like use the analong + saorview on a tv that has 1 antanae socket.
    ... I've ordered the the connector above (2 in and 1 out) and Ill let you know if this is better.

The satellite/terrestrial combiner in the link? That's useless for what you're trying to do.

Thurston? wrote: »
    The satellite/terrestrial combiner in the link? That's useless for what you're trying to do.

Ahh- now you tell me- I waited a week before I ordered it.

I have no satelite, no sky no saorview box and no virgin digital box on this tv( digital box in another room).

Just a nice TV with builtin saorview that i want to get VirginMedia Analog cable + Saorview via rabbit ears on.

Both work brilliantly on their own - perfect clear signal with episode guides etc. - Rabbit ears antanae for Saorview and Cable for analog.
    TV is great so I want use its tuner and not have add an external box via hdmi

TV has 1 coax input- but also one of those large Cam? Card Sockets?- is that anything I can use for saorview?

Thanks.

“Roll it back”

CI socket is useless in Ireland. No encrypted over the air and even though most TVs do DVB-C, Virgin will never release a CAM.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Dave..M

The requirement reminds me of the old manually tripped game/aerial switch from my C64 days (similar to below but more blocky 1980's tech possibly with crusty celotape holding it together and zero possibility for automation!)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Coaxial-Female-Aerial-Switch-Splitter-x/dp/B000Q8FDIU

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Ahh- now you tell me- I waited a week before I ordered it.

I have no satelite, no sky no saorview box and no virgin digital box on this tv( digital box in another room).

Just a nice TV with builtin saorview that i want to get VirginMedia Analog cable + Saorview via rabbit ears on.

Both work brilliantly on their own - perfect clear signal with episode guides etc. - Rabbit ears antanae for Saorview and Cable for analog.
    TV is great so I want use its tuner and not have add an external box via hdmi

TV has 1 coax input- but also one of those large Cam? Card Sockets?- is that anything I can use for saorview?

Thanks.

A UHF/VHF combiner is what you need.

I had a tv connected to both analogue terrestrial and cable with one for years, worked OK.

both of these appear to be correct but the descriptions and pics are a bit vague.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Signal-Separator-Combiner-VHF-UHF-300-Analog-TV-Diplexer-Connectors-/322096758603

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fringe-Passive-Range-Inductive-Combiner-Splitter-/282257917151

Vic_08 wrote: »
    A UHF/VHF combiner is what you need.

I had a tv connected to both analogue terrestrial and cable with one for years, worked OK.
    The only problem I see doing that is you lose the 3 UHF channels from the cable network via the VHF input.
    CH 21 / 471 MHz - E4
    CH 30 / 543 MHz - Channel 4
    CH 34 / 575 MHz - Discovery Channel

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

The only problem I see doing that is you lose the 3 UHF channels from the cable network via the VHF input.

True.

I forgot that UPC had moved those channels from VHF band I.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

Is there anything that can be done with the ethernet port on the old silver boxes, as in pick up stations or installed custom firmware?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Nothing for end users

• Registered Users Posts: 8,360 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Hi - just moved into a rental property. I plugged the wall cable into the UPC box and connected to TV, tuned in "analogue" (which I know must just access the aerial which is receiving the digital signal) and have a fair few channels.

I *think* I am just receiving the free to air digital channels but don't want to be stung by UPC suddenly telling me that I need to pay.

Am I right in thinking that the UPC just accesses the aerial and without a set top box, etc, I am not getting channels that I should be charged for?

Interesting. How many channels are you getting and what are they?

If it's as people are suggesting here you should be getting Approx 11 channels?

(1) RTE1
    (2) RTE2
    (3) BBC1
    (4) BBC2
    (5) UTV
    (6) CHN4
    (7) TG4
    (8) Sky1
    (9) TV3
    (11) Setanta (No longer available)
    (10) 3E
    (12) Sky News

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Advertisement