Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to improve Dublin Bus Services in 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

D8 boy wrote: »
    For example, in 2007, the subsidy to bus services in Brussels, which has a flat fare, was 68% of costs, compared with 29% in Dublin.

Is that including all subsidies, like purchase of vehicles?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

In a fair few European countries vehicles are funded out of subsidy directly, whereas in Ireland they are funded in addition to subsidy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Install cameras in buses which take pictures of cars in bus lanes..

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

As a 66/67 bus user, they really need to update this route. It is far too long, especially at rush hour. It should either bypass Chapelizod at peak times or bypass Lucan village, preferably both. At least half an hour could be knocked off the journey by this measure. If necessary have the 66a or 66b service these places, but not the buses travelling all the way from Maynooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭BrianG23

OscarMIlde wrote: »
    As a 66/67 bus user, they really need to update this route. It is far too long, especially at rush hour. It should either bypass Chapelizod at peak times or bypass Lucan village, preferably both. At least half an hour could be knocked off the journey by this measure. If necessary have the 66a or 66b service these places, but not the buses travelling all the way from Maynooth.

I remember this bus used to regularly skip the intel stop due to max capacity. Nothing worse than seeing a bus drive by 3 days in a row. Then the leixlip trains are delayed every other day. **** I hate public TP in Ireland. The worst of it is when you have to commute through connolly grabbing a second bus/train. My god do those inconsistent times really show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

Yep, I travel from Belfield to Maynooth. Plenty of times I have been working late, missed the 66, been unable to get on a 67 as it is full, and have seen an empty 26, 66b show up a few minutes later, no doubt able to serve most of the same passengers who took my spot on the 67.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭defrule

A place I went to recently had an express interchange station. It was a bit like a toll area on the highway. X buses would stop there and you can switch to another X bus free.

The idea was that you might being trying to get from A to D but there is not X bus for it. So you take X bus A to B, get off at the interchange midway and go on the next C to D bus that arrives for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭sharper

I got the 67 from the city centre yesterday at around 4:10 and got into Maynooth about 20 minutes before the 66x leaving the city centre at 5pm.

Why did I get the 67 instead of the 66? Because I was tracking the arrival time of the 66 using the app. It went from "arriving in 13 minutes" to "arriving in 5 minutes" so I had to leave work in a rush. Then from across the bridge I saw it pull up to the stop and leave while it was at "arriving in 4 minutes". In the space of two minutes it went from "Don't even bother going to the stop yet" to "It's gone".

Meanwhile the 67 that followed counted down to "arriving in 4 minutes" and stayed there for 5 minutes. I was as well to leave work when I'd planned to and go have a coffee until 5pm.

The worst part of the real time tracking isn't that it's wrong but that it never improves. Busses that didn't track two years ago still don't. Arrival times vary all over the place and if you know a route well you can usually estimate it's arrival time yourself better than the supposedly real time system will tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭BrianG23

sharper wrote: »
    I got the 67 from the city centre yesterday at around 4:10 and got into Maynooth about 20 minutes before the 66x leaving the city centre at 5pm.

Why did I get the 67 instead of the 66? Because I was tracking the arrival time of the 66 using the app. It went from "arriving in 13 minutes" to "arriving in 5 minutes" so I had to leave work in a rush. Then from across the bridge I saw it pull up to the stop and leave while it was at "arriving in 4 minutes". In the space of two minutes it went from "Don't even bother going to the stop yet" to "It's gone".

Meanwhile the 67 that followed counted down to "arriving in 4 minutes" and stayed there for 5 minutes. I was as well to leave work when I'd planned to and go have a coffee until 5pm.

The worst part of the real time tracking isn't that it's wrong but that it never improves. Busses that didn't track two years ago still don't. Arrival times vary all over the place and if you know a route well you can usually estimate it's arrival time yourself better than the supposedly real time system will tell you.

Yeah its a real pain in the whole. Its happened to me way to many times. On another note i've had trains arriving both late and EARLY. 4-5 minutes early. How does that happen.

Arriving at a bus and/or train is just flipping a coin. Don't expect it to actually follow a schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Art(h)ur

flat fare systems do not generate as much revenue as a zonal or graduated fare system.
    Not sure how the fare structure and the farebox recovery are connected. I'm not familiar with the detils of the Brussels example you've quoted but I would suspect any of the following to play a part:

- low demand and high supply (an unsuccessful attempt to bring in more passengers by high frequencies)?
    - flat fare deliberately set at a level to encourage more passengers?
    - high levels of fare evasion?

In fact, I would expect a flat fare structure to discourage people as if you're journey happens to require a transfer (or two), you are charged double (or triple) - a transfer penalty, quite literally. In which case you have low demand, which causes low farebox recovery = high subsidy.

While, in my view, a distance-based or zone-based fare structure is a superior concept to a single fare (due to encouraging v. discouraging transfers), in Dublin the practicalities are against tagging both on and off on a bus. Even we finally move away from the need to interact with the driver, getting on and off a bus is still likely to be longer than in other European countries. So adding another process of tagging off could put us back where we are now in terms of disasterous stop dwelling times. Examples of bottlenecks:

1) The narrow gangway at the front of a bus, behind the driver's cab - only one person at a time can walk through, not enough room for two so you'll still have queues on the way in (assuming the middle door would be used for getting off at the same time).

2) On the Continent a typical 10 meter single decker with capacity of 90 people has 3 doors. Some double deckers in Dublin with capacity of 120 people have 2 doors. So we'll never achieve compareably speedy boardings, even with faster Leap card readers and the like.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

It may not suit you, but I see a lot of school kids that depend on that routing from chapelizod, Lucan and leixlip who go up to maynooth.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Art(h)ur wrote: »
    In fact, I would expect a flat fare structure to discourage people as if you're journey happens to require a transfer (or two), you are charged double (or triple) - a transfer penalty, quite literally. In which case you have low demand, which causes low farebox recovery = high subsidy.

There is absolutely no reason why you couldn't operate a flat fare and still continue the travel 90 discount!

Tag-on the first bus, pay €2, tag on the second bus within 90 minutes pay just €1. The coding in the ticket machines can easily work all this out, jsut as they do today.

I'd also argue that the Dutch Style tag-on/tag-off even through single door buses would still be faster then what we currently have today, with the horrendously slow interaction with the driver. Specially if the ticket machines were updated to make them faster like they are in other companies.

Today you have to place the card on the drivers ticket machine, tell him the fare you want, wait for the Leap screen to load on his ticket machine and for him to then select the fair you asked for. Really it all takes ages!

Switching to having people quickly tagging-on as they enter and again quickly tagging-off as they leave feels like it would be much quicker to me, then interacting with the driver.

And of course it would work much faster on the double door buses where it is actually used.

Either way the current way of paying is horribly broken, and it badly needs fixing ASAP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

For me the biggest thing that needs to improve is that buses need to actually run. Around 2 out of every 5 buses I go for just don't run for "operational reasons". In the past three weeks I have taken the bus 12 times and 5 just didn't show at all. I know I am taking buses at off peak times that may not be deemed priority but it's hard to have confidence in a system that is so unreliable. Perhaps it is certain routes that are affected more than others and maybe rush hour buses are given priority, but I don't know how anyone could rely on this service to get to work when a no-show means an hour's wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Kyleboy

For me the biggest thing that needs to improve is that buses need to actually run. Around 2 out of every 5 buses I go for just don't run for "operational reasons". In the past three weeks I have taken the bus 12 times and 5 just didn't show at all. I know I am taking buses at off peak times that may not be deemed priority but it's hard to have confidence in a system that is so unreliable. Perhaps it is certain routes that are affected more than others and maybe rush hour buses are given priority, but I don't know how anyone could rely on this service to get to work when a no-show means an hour's wait.

You seem to be very unlucky, what buses do you take?

Kyleboy wrote: »
    You seem to be very unlucky, what buses do you take?

25a - mostly evenings and weekends. I don't use the bus to commute - this is for visiting family. It's not my own local route either and I sincerely hope it's better at peak times for commuters. But my experience as someone taking the bus a few times a week at off peak times does not give a good impression of reliability.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I'm a 25A/25B user. Have had the "operational reasons" excuse given out to me a few times after tweeting Dublin Bus. It's so annoying. I mean if a bus is not running don't put it on the RTPI or better still put it on the RTPI saying not running due to operational reasons.

You don't mind me asking when these buses weren't running and what direction?

It';s become very apparent that the 25B suffers from this phenomenon a lot less.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Bray Head

For medium-large cities, flat fare systems do not generate as much revenue as a zonal or graduated fare system.  Large cities with a flat fare typically provide much higher subsidy for their bus systems.  For example, in 2007, the subsidy to bus services in Brussels, which has a flat fare, was 68% of costs, compared with 29% in Dublin.   
    I am not sure I buy this comparison.

Ticket prices in Brussels are extremely cheap. It is a €7.50 for a 24-hour ticket and just €499 for a yearly pass for bus and metro.

A bus and Luas ticket in Dublin is €1620 which even with Taxsaver is much more expensive than Brussels. There would be protests but the citizens of Brussels could easily handle 50% more in fares - it is on the whole not a poor city. So maybe the high subvention is down to a policy choice on low fares.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Low fares to encourage use perhaps because the costs of the subvention are offset elsewhere in the economy.

I'm a 25A/25B user. Have had the "operational reasons" excuse given out to me a few times after tweeting Dublin Bus. It's so annoying. I mean if a bus is not running don't put it on the RTPI or better still put it on the RTPI saying not running due to operational reasons.

You don't mind me asking when these buses weren't running and what direction?

It';s become very apparent that the 25B suffers from this phenomenon a lot less.

Both directions. Towards city centre mid afternoon at weekends - between 2 and 4pm. From city centre at weekends around between 8 and 10pm. I've actually found the Saturday 6.30pm bus from town doesn't show more often than it does, though it wouldn't be every Saturday I get it. I also find the 25b seems to be prioritised - think I've posted about that before here.

I'm taking this route just over a year now and it's just shocking. I take it more often during summer months and during a wider variety of times (more midweek) during those months and it was just as bad. I spent many summer evenings sitting on the railings of Merrion Square from 9pm to 10pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭D8 boy

Bray Head wrote: »
    I am not sure I buy this comparison.

Ticket prices in Brussels are extremely cheap. It is a €7.50 for a 24-hour ticket and just €499 for a yearly pass for bus and metro.

A bus and Luas ticket in Dublin is €1620 which even with Taxsaver is much more expensive than Brussels. There would be protests but the citizens of Brussels could easily handle 50% more in fares - it is on the whole not a poor city. So maybe the high subvention is down to a policy choice on low fares.

I agree, the flat structure is not the only reason for the high subsidy in Brussels. As in many mainland European cities, there is an explicit policy to provide a good service at moderate costs even if that entails considerable subsidy. But a flat fare has to be relatively low so as not to deter passengers making short trips so it generally requires more subsidy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭D8 boy

Art(h)ur wrote: »
    Not sure how the fare structure and the farebox recovery are connected.
    It was something I found in an OECD report when I was wring my MSc thesis, many years ago! The report doesn't seem to be downloadable unless you have a subscription rot the OECD library. Eyeballing the Wikipedia entry on farebox ratio would suggest it's still the case, especially as it does include entries from UK cities apart from London which generally have graduated fares, and high farebox ratios.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Tallinn has free PT for residents. I don't want to even imagine how high the subsidies are there. It'll cost a hell of a lot to get PT fares down to match cities specifically picked for having low fares.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭StreetLight

Both directions. Towards city centre mid afternoon at weekends - between 2 and 4pm. From city centre at weekends around between 8 and 10pm. I've actually found the Saturday 6.30pm bus from town doesn't show more often than it does, though it wouldn't be every Saturday I get it. I also find the 25b seems to be prioritised - think I've posted about that before here.

I'm taking this route just over a year now and it's just shocking. I take it more often during summer months and during a wider variety of times (more midweek) during those months and it was just as bad. I spent many summer evenings sitting on the railings of Merrion Square from 9pm to 10pm.

The 25 group of routes lack sufficient running time, so sometimes the inbound ones are told to operate to Bachelors Walk only, so they can turn around at O'Connell Bridge and start working outbound again from Aston Quay.

This can happen at any time of the day or night. There appears to be no urgency to rectify it. Maybe they're waiting for the Luas works to be completed.

It may not suit you, but I see a lot of school kids that depend on that routing from chapelizod, Lucan and leixlip who go up to maynooth.

My guess is what they need to do is expand the operation of the 66x. It's also the only bus that serves Glenn Easton.

I've taken the 66 at different times of the day from the city centre and it's consistently close to full at it's current route and frequency.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

But how quickly does it empty out once it leaves the city? Are hoards of people getting off a third of the way along the route?

I'd guess about 1/3 full by the time it gets past Leixlip. It's hard to know how many people wanted to get to Maynooth but couldn't because it was full.

The Xs generally remain full until Glenn Easton. The outgoing X's can often be full before Leixlip so I think there are quite a few trying to get to/from Maynooth.

The 25 group of routes lack sufficient running time, so sometimes the inbound ones are told to operate to Bachelors Walk only, so they can turn around at O'Connell Bridge and start working outbound again from Aston Quay.

This can happen at any time of the day or night. There appears to be no urgency to rectify it. Maybe they're waiting for the Luas works to be completed.

Yes I have seen this happen a few times (been on buses that terminate at Bachelor's Walk because they are late). However, I find DB are usually honest when this happens and clearly state that the inspector on duty decided to curtail the route and operate from the quays only. That's if you ask them on Twitter - obviously they don't bother notifying customers unless asked, either through RTPI or just a tweet or note on the website. That is rarely given as the reason for no shows in the late evening though - that's always just operational reasons. Also, no shows from the Lucan terminus are just as common.

A relative works for the company and has asked around on what the operational reason for 25a not running so frequently is and was told it was simply lack of drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I haven't been into Sandymount for a few months because I go to college in Bray now. But if the OP suggested that the 1 & 47 routes should be taken out of Sandymount altogether & leaving it only with a 77a would leave passengers with a much worse service than anticipated.

I would prefer adding the 77a as an extra route from Tallaght & let it terminate at St. Johns Church like the No. 1 route.

Just to note OP that the old 77 route was merged with the 27 to Jobstown under Network Direct.

A lot of students & some staff members attend Roslyn Park College in Sandymount. They use the bus to get to College live in areas like Tallaght, Santry, Blanchardstown, Drumcondra, Finglas & Portarlington. They would largely use the 1 to get off in DCC & get another bus, Luas or train to get home. When the students get on a bus from the college to DCC sometime after 4pm; both a 1 & 47 arrive at the stop at the same time. However there is a large gap of 45 minutes to wait for the next 47 into DCC afterwards between 4pm & 4:45pm. If the 77a retained it's 20 minute frequency or if it had a slightly better one; it would take a lot of passengers off the 47's hands from Sandymount into DCC because it works on the same route as the other two routes.

The current 77a terminus is at Ringsend Bus Garage btw. They currently use it as a turnaround point for this route to go on the journey back to Citywest. Am I right to say that extending the 77a to Sandymount will probably add up to an extra 15 minutes to the route?

Getting rid of the 47 could make sense if demand had allowed it to be a good idea. You will have to be careful with that route as you couldn't possibly repeat the situation of it being redundant by leaving it at Donnybrook Garage as a terminus all over again.

It would probably be much better to re-align that route into DCC back through Merrion Road & Ballsbridge as per the 4, 7, 7a, 27x & 120.

There are students who use the 18 as well to get into college. If that route was extended into Liffey Valley as per the OP's post. It could be still be a good idea in theory. The only difference is the route terminus outside Roslyn Park College in Sandymount. Having the 18 bus there normally blocks the 1 & 47 to pick up or drop off passengers nearly every time it starts there. If you workmen parking their vehicles at that stop; it is another kettle of fish for Dublin Bus to resolve.

I also heard rumors last year that the 1 was meant to be extended from Santry to Dublin Airport. But no further updates on these changes have been made since they was first announced. Has there any development on this stage yet as it could be a very option for passengers to get from Sandymount to Dublin Airport.

Aircoach recently announced they are to get rid of the Sandymount variation on their Greystones & Dalkey routes in their new timetables.

Would it not be a good idea for Dublin Bus now to take over those arrangements by replacing these Aircoach services with a 1 to the Airport?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

Would like to see a bus route go from Dun Laoghaire to Tallaght via sandyford using the Sounth Dublin Green route. Basically, a straightened out version of the 75 that doesn't take the piss with huge detours due to years of legacy route changes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭howiya

I thought I was bad. I only get buses to work. Have other arrangements for getting home. At least 1 day a week there'll be a no show. So I'm only at 1 of 5. Tweet dublin bus but the only reply you ever get is "operational reasons".

If you knew in advance the bus wasn't running it would be some improvement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement