Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Grey skies give way to......

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

3/1/17 5km 38:40
    Splits: 7:09, 7:29, 8:05, 7:42, 8:02

One of those "I don't want to go running" runs. But I knew if I didn't go out, I'd be kicking myself. Pretty slow to be honest, body was tired after my first day back in work. I am enjoying getting out in the fresh air and clearing the head.

I know I should get out tonight but have so much on this evening that I won't be home til late and it will be cold and dark :(

Anyone else find that the past few days when they got out for a run, that people were looking at them thinking "ah yeah, start of Jan, new years resolution"? I had one fella say something like that to me last night actually - maybe because I was going so slow he probably thought I was new to running! I felt like shouting "no actually I've been running for a while, it's an all year round thing for me, not a new years fad!"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Heh, yeah I've noticed a lot more runners out this week and I've been thinking that about them. But then I realised they might be thinking it about me too, so I carefully made sure to wear my Race Series and Marathon tshirts after that. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Heh, yeah I've noticed a lot more runners out this week and I've been thinking that about them. But then I realised they might be thinking it about me too, so I carefully made sure to wear my Race Series and Marathon tshirts after that. :D

And you medals around your neck, surely some training benefit in that!!

Sat 7/1/17 5km 38:33
    Splits: 7:13, 7:26, 8:14, 7:77, 8:04
    Had planned on doing parkrun this morning, I wanted to try out my new garmin watch and parkrun tshirt. Also I was going to be volunteering for the next few weeks with the influx of new people for Operation Transformation. However there was a bigger crowd than expected, very few of the regulars and short on volunteers so I put on my marshal's bib. Said I would run the course after but the child didn't want to hang about. So decided I would get out when I got home, kept putting it on the long finger then got out around 3 when I realised it was going to get dark soon and I wanted a run in daylight!
    Went along the local cycleway and it was a bit of a struggle if I'm honest. Was tired, probably a bit dehydrated and just wasn't feeling the love for the cycleway. Also the digestive system was playing up and really had to ease up the last 200m.

Sun 8/1/17 10km 1:13:44
    Splits: 6:57, 6:59, 6:47, 7:16, 7:08, 6:55, 8:27, 8:01, 7:31, 7:26

Decided this year if I want to even consider doing a half marathon I should get a bit more comfortable with longer distances. I picked a nice route for my first long run of the year, down through the town and out the old main route to my 5km turning point and back, it's one I've done a few times so I'm comfortable enough with it. Only paying attention to my splits now as I typed them in, it was actually a decent enough run down on paper. Km 7/8 were slower due to a phone call that brought me down to a walk for a bit. However when I look at my pace graph on strava yes it's more telling of how my run felt, up and down - running and walking breaks. When I got to my 3km mark I briefly thought I could turn now and have 6km done at least. But stubbornness in me said no I set out to get 10km done, I'll be kicking myself if I didn't. So I carried on and it was grand, it was do-able although it has made me a little anxious that I did struggle and slow with this, how on earth am I going to manage a half?! It's a case of we'll see how the year goes...

Well done on the 10km. The thoughts of going from 10Km to HM is daunting but you're not going to do it in one big jump so don't worry about it.

The splits on the 10km were maybe a bit fast to start out, if you took it a bit slower at the start you will find it easier and it will definitely help to build that stamina towards the HM.

• Advertisement

HigginsJ wrote: »
    The splits on the 10km were maybe a bit fast to start out, if you took it a bit slower at the start you will find it easier and it will definitely help to build that stamina towards the HM.
    Oh I agree, I couldn't believe how quick the first 3km were going by the splits, my first km from the house is downhill into the town, then I do just find myself moving quick enough through the street to the far end of town, I didn't realise I was moving that fast!

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Oh I agree, I couldn't believe how quick the first 3km were going by the splits, my first km from the house is downhill into the town, then I do just find myself moving quick enough through the street to the far end of town, I didn't realise I was moving that fast!

I have the benefit of the 1st km being all uphill so slows me down out the gate, although I'm not one who typically takes my own advice around pace :P

HigginsJ wrote: »
    I have the benefit of the 1st km being all uphill so slows me down out the gate, although I'm not one who typically takes my own advice around pace :P
    Aww well at least you have a nice downhill km to finish on.
    I keep telling myself that to finish my run with a hill is good training... :P

Mon 9/1/17 5km 49:57 (walk)

Routine at home all shaken up this year, the next week or two will see us trying to get to grips with it. Young fella had just started with the athletics club (I don't know if ye recall I had been trying for AGES to get him into the local AC, he had his first session last night and loved it!). Anyway he didn't really want his mum hanging about so I had kinda planned running the 5km loop nearby. Then I twigged that his training is near same location our parkruns are held and I didn't get to do the course last Saturday as I was volunteering, so I decided I would walk it. It was different to say the least because a) it was dark, b) I was walking and c) I was on my own. Glad I decided to walk as I had run 15km in the previous 2 days and to be honest the walk along the hills and mucky parts was certainly a workout on the legs!

Didn't get out as much as I would have liked last week. It was our first week back to all work, school, hobbies etc so getting free time to get out for a run fell down the list of priorities and then it got to the "I know I should go out but I can't motivate myself" stage which is regretful.
    Didn't get out at all all week. Friday eve got a circuits class done, was tough as I had only been one other time since start of Dec due to being sick. So I noticed how much harder certain exercises were and how easy it can be to lose what fitness and flexibility and strength you have gained.

Sat 5km 57mins 41
    So I volunteered at my local parkrun to be the walking ambassador with operation transformation. It was great to see a few walkers at parkrun as we tend to usually only have runners. It was nice to walk the parkrun for a change and got to chat to a few new people going around.

Sunday - had planned to get out for my long run today. I woke at a reasonable time but I lay in bed for a while and couldn't get motivated to get out for my run :(

Monday 8km 1hr 5mins
    Splits: 7:07, 7:52, 8:32, 8:46, 8:52, 7:55, 8:20, 8:01

Had planned a longer route this evening but I had unexpected but welcome company and as a result we were chatting and the run ended up being slower (which wasn't a bad thing) and we had to cut short as under time constraints. Did find the first few kms tough as I didn't warm up properly and my calves were tight. I stopped for a little bit, stretched them out and was grand after.

• Advertisement

I haven't updated this all week. Maybe because I didn't do any running all week and crammed it all into the weekend, which is probably wrong but I literally got out any chance I could get!

Fri 20/01/2017 Total 8.7km Total time 58mins 45sec
    ok this was over 3 different runs...
    First one I had a bit of spare time between finishing work and collecting the child, so I changed quickly and got out on the road. However as the saying goes, "more haste, less speed". I had to pause twice to stretch out the calves and the return leg of the run was through gritted teeth as I realised I went out further than I should have, the calves were sore and I was rushing to get back home so I could collect the youngster.
    2nd run of the day - I usually have a fitness class on Friday evenings, I was in my gym clothes waiting for the hubbie to land home, so I could nip over early and get a few laps done. Got 2km done before fitness class started.
    Last run of the day was part of the fitness class! They decided to do half the session outside with intervals, slow jog then fast sprint, with the slow parts getting shorter and the faster parts getting longer. I'm sure there's a technical term for it. It was actually good and a bit of a challenge.

Sat 21/01/2017 5km approx. 1 hour
    I was walking again at parkrun for Operation Transformation. Glad to see another good turnout again and some faces back from the previous week. It would be lovely if some of the new faces could stay on through the year but we shall see. I forgot to start my watch, I had about 1.5km done before I realised it. It was a lovely crisp morning but I should have worn more layers, I was frozen by the time I finished.

Sun 22/01/2017 12km 1hr 31mins
    Splits: 7:01, 7:01, 7:18, 7:15, 7:46, 6:57, 8:23, 8:08, 7:01, 8:16, 7:45, 8:02
    I knew I needed to get out for a long run, I skipped last week's one. So I think this was more of I have to go rather than I want to go. But I said 12km was ok, I had done it before, I know I can cover it. I was tough. I wasn't feeling that tired, my legs weren't heavy but for some reason my ankles were a bit sore. First 4kms were fine then after that it was run to the next gate, run to the sign, walk for a bit etc. Just wasn't feeling it.

Mon 23/01/2017 8.3km 1:01:42
    Splits: 8:02, 7:17, 7:58, 7:18, 6:58, 7:08, 7:16, 7:36, 6:43 (0.3)

Youngster was at training so I laced up the runners and got out myself. Along some road which I had never run before but they were well lit, and busy with cars and people. Roads I have driven before but never run, climbs where I didn't know were climbs! Got 2 frights though with cyclists flying towards me dressed head to toe in black with no lights. But I did enjoy this run, no niggles or anything. Think I'm happy enough with it, 8km/5mile in an hour, respectable enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

Well done on your runs Sunny Dayz. You seem to be getting back into a routine. I'm well impressed at your 12 km run. I'm planning on that distance the weekend after next.

Trying to find the time to post. It's one thing to make comments on Boards, it's another thing to find the time to actually sit down and write a detailed post for your training log!

Friday 27/01/17 approx. 2.5 km in 15 mins
    Back with the GAA club tonight and out doing the intervals again. Didn't time it but it works out at approx this.

Saturday 28/01/2017 5km approx 50 mins.
    Again doing operation transformation walking ambassador at the local parkrun. I have to say it's great to see many of the same faces turn up every week to walk the course. I really do hope they keep it up. However I found that this week many of the walkers cut short at 4km. Look it's their decision at the end of the day and they should still be applauded for getting up early on a Saturday morning and doing some exercise, it's so easy to stay in bed! However, me being stubborn and not wanting to get a time for only doing 4km I ran the last km myself to get the 5 in.

Sunday 29/01/2017 5km 30:23
    Splits: 6:03, 6:00, 6:17, 6:13, 6:03
    Not actually a race but a group run organised for the 5km a day group for Jan (which I think I only got half the mileage done!). However the group event was well organised and had such a great atmosphere, it was so enjoyable. But secretly I was hoping to get around the 30mins mark. The route was fairly congested so I just went with the flow, no panic and there's no point in giving out about it (like I hear two people do), everyone was going at their own pace and just happy to run together.
    2nd km spread out a bit and I kept pace with a few others around me.
    3rd km was the slowest and I was a bit annoyed with myself initially and couldn't figure out why at first. Then from looking back it was where I was coming up behind walkers who had started earlier and also meeting faster runners who were on the way back. So the road was pretty congested and a bit of slowing down and weaving about. Once I realised it was that I didn't mind my split then.
    4th I did walk briefly I think I was going a bit too fast beforehand and took a quick breather. Last km was enjoyable with the view and the camaraderie that we were near the finish. There were many people on the run who had never ran 5km before. To be honest it was a run that I needed, a bit of company and to actually enjoy my run.

Monday 8.5km 1:05:26
    Splits: 7:08, 7:46, 8:22, 8:18, 7:13, 7:42, 8:06, 7:29, 6:08 (0.5)
    Youngster was at training so I laced up and hit the road again doing the same route as last Monday. I really must do warm up stretches before heading out, I do be just in a rush to get going cos I only have an hour and a bit, but I had to stop 1km in to stretch the calves. I should know this. After that bit of stretching no problem with the calves. I think it was moreso tiredness this evening, few more walking breaks than I should have taken. Last half km is faster because it started bucketing down rain!

Not as much to report this week

Friday 3/2/17 2.2km 14:08
    Splits: 6:09, 6:15, 7:04 (0.2)
    Intervals before the GAA session in the gym. I have to say I do enjoy them and am seeing the benefit of them. I no longer dread the whistle to speed up and curse him out of it to blow the slow down whistle! Leg work in the gym after, bit sore after.

Sat 4/2/17 4.7km 46:13
    Walking with operation transformation and parkrun. I'm guessing the gloss of parkrun has worn off many new years resolutions, quite a few of the people who had started walking with OT and parkrun weren't there this morning, maybe it was the cold morning. I don't think they even mention parkrun on OT anymore and I was told it was for as long as the show is on (til mid Feb). Anyway one of the other parkrun regulars said she would do the walk if I wanted a run but I didn't fancy taking off layers for running so we walked together chatting. Again I forgot my watch at the start.

Sunday 5/2/17 0km
    Had planned on doing a local run in aid of a school (not my son's school) but a) I was wrecked after being on the go all day Sat and b) it was quite frosty and it was going to be along sheltered country roads which probably would be dicey. So I stayed in bed!

Mon 6/2/17 10km 1hr 12 mins
    Splits: 6:35, 7:07, 7:53, 7:41, 7:23, 7:44, 6:48, 7:00, 7:10, 6:09
    Now that's more like it! Pegged it as soon as I dropped the young fella to athletics and decided to go a different route, a loop which encompassed part of the out and back I had been doing the past few Mons. I did have to pause after 2km and stretch out the calves - I'm going to have to find better warm ups for these, it's been the same the last few runs at about this point in my run. Normally once I stretch them out a bit they are fine after but they did feel tight a few times along the run. But I have to say I did enjoy this run, it didn't feel long as I was mainly running in town. I was getting near my car when I seen I had 8.5km done but still had 15 mins before I needed to collect himself. So I did a bit of a loop around the area where his training is to bring it up to 10km!

Again another quiet week on the log and running front.

Fri 2.3 km 15 mins
    Splits: 6:11, 6:22, 6:20 (0.3)
    GAA club session, 15 mins interval before bums and tums in the gym. Enjoyed this again, it is getting easier. When I looked at my pace graph on strava after (I'm a nerd for that kind of stuff!) I liked that you could clearly see my fast and slow intervals. And I was happy that my fast intervals remained fast to the end of the session.

Sat 0km
    Couldn't attend parkrun and had a family thing on. Thought I would get out for a few km later in the afternoon but body wasn't feeling the best so gave it a miss.

Sun 0km
    After feeling under the weather the previous day, I hadn't an ounce of energy in me. My plan had been to get some sort of a run in, preferably a long run but I couldn't even muster up enough energy to put a toe outside the door!

Mon 7km 1hr 4mins
    Hubbie offered to drop son to training so I could rest at home. But I said no I'll bring him and go for a walk while I waited, I had to make myself get out and do something. Wrapped up good and warm and walked the nearby cycleway which is lit up at night. Was a little wary going on it in the dark on my own but there were lots of other people out walking on it which is great to see. However very few cyclists or runners, and any I did see spent more energy weaving in and out of the walkers doing 2 or 3 abreast any side of the track they liked. But a nice brisk fresh enjoyable walk.

The next 2 months are going to be busy most weekends so I'm going to have to plan my long runs better and sort out what races I'm going to do and commit to it!

I wish I could fill this post with lots of running, but naw!
    I'm just finding it so difficult to get out this past few weeks both due to lack of time and motivation. I guess my running has fallen down the list of priorities in our household; work, childcare, cooking, cleaning, chores, family & friends, son's hobbies, husband's hobbies - they all take precedence. Everything seems to take time and leaves none for my running. I'm hoping when the evenings get a bit longer that I can get out then.

Anyway since my last log post I haven't run. I did do a mountain climb/hike last weekend with a group along a range I had said this past 10 years I must do and I'm so glad I did it. It was tougher than I thought, I assumed I would find it grand, sure I'm fit....ish! But it was really enjoyable, good company, spectacular views. One of the girls had a fitbit on and hers said we covered just over 11 km and it took us 3-3.5 hours with a few breaks along the way for snacks and sightseeing.

Then last night I got out for a brisk walk 4.3km in about 40mins. Good to get some air into the lungs. Bit of giving out to myself: here was me hoping to break 30mins for 5k, break 60 mins for 10k and possibly do a half - I'm not going the right way around it, I should be more motivated than this! Maybe I need to sign up to a race, commit to a training plan, I think I'm a bit too lax at the moment, I need some sort of plan or schedule.

Hi Sunny Dayz, sorry to hear you are struggling a bit with your running at the moment. I know what it is like when life is busy and it is so hard to fit everything in.

Maybe signing up to a race and finding a structured plan to stick to would help. My motivation is the half in June and that thought got me out running early mornings this week. The thought of not being prepared enough to complete it is a great motivator.

I notice you list all the things that take precedence, maybe it is time for you to do something for yourself to take a bit of precedence too. We can all be guilty of putting everyone and everything before ourselves, as if our needs and wants should be way down the list of priorities. I know that I did this for years, not anymore though. I know the housework has definitely taken a hit since I started this running lark!

Don't find the time to run, make the time. Schedule it in to your busy day like you do everyone else's activities. It is so important to keep your "me" time not just from a physical aspect but also a mental one.

Well done on making the time to get out for a walk last night, make sure you make it more regular from now on!

Sorry for preaching but I can see from your previous posts how much you enjoy running, don't let it fall by the wayside.
    Summer is on the way, hopefully the brighter evenings will help you to get out more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,289 ✭✭✭ariana`

You mention 5k/10k & half marathon goals, which one of those is most important to you right now? Deciding on a goal is half the battle. Once you have a goal then you can plan/work towards that goal. If the plan or goal is a long way away (a half marathon training plan might be 16 or more weeks) then come up with some interim goals or races to keep you going.

Could you aim to do Park run every 4 weeks or so, seeing improvement is also very motivational.

Planning ahead helps me, I plan my runs 3-4 days ahead, i use any slot available such as running around the football pitch while kids are at training or doing a short one during lunch break at work. I have 3 kids and a full time job so it's the only way. Oh and i do minimal chores, something's gotta give, i've accepted if i want a nice/tidy house then i'd have to stop running and that ain't happening :D

Ah thanks for taking the time to reply to me, wasn't expecting any replies, was just trying to get my thoughts in some sort of order.
    I have races in mind for the year, even written in the calendar but haven't actually registered for any yet. I think I need to sit down, work out what races/events I'm going to do, register for them = making a commitment. Then I need to look at our family schedule and work out when to fit in training.

I do parkrun and enjoy it. But just checked, I haven't run my local since mid Nov! Was out sick for Dec and was volunteering as walk ambassador/ tail runner since start of Jan. Yep need to get a proper parkrun - run in!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Agree with advise given above. Your time is valuable and your hobbie of running is just as important as the rest of the family's. I got selfish last year and scheduled my running/fitness classes first. Now "mams runs" are important part of weekend schedule. I'm lucky that I can run at lunchtime so just 2 weekend runs to fit in. I was managing & training girls football teams as well as club secretary, and my 3 kids were playing with various team so I had to step away from the football and let someone else in, 5yrs stint was enough, me thinks!!;)

Pick 1 target and the pick a training plan to get you there, then move to the next target.

Check out Hal Higdon for 8 week plans for 5k, 10k and longer ones for half marathon.

Time to make you no1 in the list of things to do. Good luck with your targets, all achievable if you get consistent training in.

Thanks for the replies. I still think my running is well down the list of priorities, it's just a matter of making the time and having a bit more motivation about me.
    So I actually got some running done over the weekend.

Friday 24/2/17 4.3 km 29:47
    Splits: 7:08, 6:48, 7:04, 6:48, 6:22 (0.3)
    Hubbie was home earlier from work this evening. I coulda stayed chatting to him before my fitness class but no I pegged it as soon as he got in the door and got half an hour running around the track done before my fitness class started. I was strangely pleased with how smooth my pace graph looked on strava after, normally it's more up and down for me! Also had a spotify playlist going with old school music; Britney Spears, Nirvana, Christian Aguilera, Destinys Child - memories of my teenage years!

24/02/17 2.4km 15:31
    Splits: 6:24, 6:31, 6:27 (0.4)
    15 mins of intervals around the pitch as part of our fitness class. My faster splits probably weren't as fast as they had been in previous weeks with the run before class but still a clear distinction between my slow and fast intervals, still gave it a good shot. Fitness class after.

25/02/2017 4.8km 35:21
    Splits: 6:45, 7:32, 7:16, 7:46, 7:03 (0.8)
    My local parkrun, first time I've actually run at it since mid Nov! Mentally I was looking forward to getting at it again but my body had other ideas. It was tired and sore after the previous evenings session(s). I kinda forgot about parkrun on the Friday evening! So the body was sore and tired. Also there was a low turnout and mainly faster runners so I was a little disappointed to know I would still be near the end even though I was running! As the course is grass and trail it was quite slippy in spots so I did more walking, I wasn't in the humour for a slip or a fall. Ran alongside the husband and that kept both of us going. Chatted to distract each other, anything just to keep going. Admittedly not the most enjoyable parkrun I had, but done none the less just before the rain. Body was still quite sore for the rest of the day and into Sunday. It looks like it's going to be April before I can get another run at my local parkrun :(

Mon 27/02/17 7km walk 1hr 07mins
    After getting wet at the end of parkrun last Saturday, then getting changed and heading into town for breakfast I realised I forgot my coat. Sunday was spent motorsport marshalling with Storm Ewan for company so by Monday I could feel a head cold coming on so I opted for a brisk walk while the young master was at athletics. The body never really warmed up even though I was walking at a brisk and consistent pace.

Friday was with my local gaa ladies for a great workout in club gym! No intervals outside for the start and I didn't get down early enough for a few laps myself so no running.

Sat 04/03/17 parkrun-day 34:06
    Splits: 6:31, 6:51, 6:57, 6:49; 6:50
    Modified route at my local parkrun as the ground was saturated from the rain all week. And it started rain just as the run director finished his talk! Some parts of the course were still quite slippy and get worse as the run went on. The modified course is also a tougher course IMO so I just made a mental note to just keep going! A fairly small crowd giving the weather and there was also a few events on that would have taken the regulars away. But I spied one of the regular ladies who does a nice pace and said to myself I would keep up with her. She was nice and steady with her pace and I probably freaked her out running behind her! I thanked her after for her pace-making! Rain stopped just as we finished and turns out I was last in!

Mon 06/03/17 8.3km 1hr 2 mins
    Splits: 6:56, 7:37, 8:13, 7:57, 7:27, 7:49, 7:27, 6:57, 5:50 (0.3)
    Bit of a puzzler for me! The route I ran is 10km on the button, I've done it before. My watch told me I did it in 1 hr 16mins which is about right. But something funny happened on my 2nd km and my watch tells me it took me 21 mins to do my second km, eh yeah maybe if I was walking backwards! I must have lost signal or something, bit annoying if I'm honest. During my 2nd km I had to stop and stretch out the calves, they were like two solid blocks in my legs but after a slow run they loosened out a bit. Second half of my run was more enjoyable, I got over my watch cock-up and got into my run and a bit of head space: got my work for the week planned out, I'm away next weekend so I've mentally packed my bag! To be honest I didn't really want to stop running but the child had to be collected! Got a little ego boost on the last km of my run, a car drove by with a group of young lads who rolled down the window and shouted "go on gorgeous!". Ah bless them, they are probably closer to my son's age than my own! :P

I've committed myself to 2 races. I registered for the VHI women's mini marathon. It's a great event, fantastic atmosphere but not a pb event for me (anymore, it used to be!) Will try to get there earlier this year, was tight for time last year delayed at bag drop. I'm still in the fast jogger section which is 60-75 mins so I want to get nearer the front (of that section) this year, was near the back of it last year.
    I've also registered for the Roscommon 10km at the start of April (they have a half and full on also) so I've downloaded the mapmyrun trainer app to give me some sort of structure for the next few weeks. Last night was 1 hour long. This week I've to fit in 30 mins easy and 35 mins pace.

Well done on getting back on track. Having the two races to focus on will keep you motivated. Good luck with your training. Enjoy your weekend away.

Thurs 09/03 4km 30 mins
    Splits: 7:09, 7:27, 7:23, 7:20

Busy evening but managed to sneak out for my 30 mins easy run. Have to say it was actually enjoyable, funny how I was saying sure it's only 30 mins easy, sure it's only about 4km. Only!! Nice and even, just mosey along!

Sat 11/03 5km parkrun 34:06
    Splits 6:46, 6:49, 7:21, 7:32, 5:55

Was away at the weekend so we took the opportunity to be a parkrun tourist and our first parkrun abroad! We got a taxi out to the park as we weren't sure which bus would bring us. Got to the park and start area in plenty of time to introduce ourselves and do few stretches. The run is 2 and half laps of the park, so basically, 1 lap = 2 km. I wasn't chasing a time, just to do it and enjoy it. I stuck with the hubbie and we ran 2 laps together, enjoying the scenery of the park, chatting to others around us. It was a hilly course so we just took it at a handy pace to enjoy it. Past the 4km mark hubbie said you go on for the finish, although he wasn't to far behind me in the end. The young fella went off at the start and we didn't see him again til the finish, he did it in 26:47.

Mon 13/03/17 10km 1hr17
    Splits: 8:31, 7:03, 8:16, 7:24, 8:09, 8:00, 7:49, 7:34, 7:32, 6:28

Bit of a meh run this evening. First km I was on the phone so that's why I had a slow start. I found it to be a sluggish run overall. I'm blaming tiredness after a busy weekend and day at work. Was going good up to 2km then calves got sore so a few walking breaks. Then from 7km to the end I just put the head down and kept it going. Just looking at my pace graph and there's a lot of up and downs, I didn't think I took that many walking breaks but no a lot of it is waiting to cross roads at junctions. As it's an evening run and I'm on my own, I want to remain on well light, busy routes from a personal safety aspect, at least until the evenings are brighter. Top left of my left foot was a bit sore, and was a bit sore again this morning when I first put my heels on.

Well done on a long run yesterday.

We all have "off days" but you got the miles in the legs.

No advice re. sore foot, hope it feels better soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,289 ✭✭✭ariana`

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Mon 13/03/17 10km 1hr17
    Splits: 8:31, 7:03, 8:16, 7:24, 8:09, 8:00, 7:49, 7:34, 7:32, 6:28

Bit of a meh run this evening. First km I was on the phone so that's why I had a slow start. I found it to be a sluggish run overall. I'm blaming tiredness after a busy weekend and day at work. Was going good up to 2km then calves got sore so a few walking breaks. Then from 7km to the end I just put the head down and kept it going. Just looking at my pace graph and there's a lot of up and downs, I didn't think I took that many walking breaks but no a lot of it is waiting to cross roads at junctions. As it's an evening run and I'm on my own, I want to remain on well light, busy routes from a personal safety aspect, at least until the evenings are brighter. Top left of my left foot was a bit sore, and was a bit sore again this morning when I first put my heels on.

I've had a similar sounding pain before, it was a tendon which flared up when i increased my mileage. It would be ok while running but flare up after a run and be sore the following morning, especially after long runs. I got it when i started HM training, it settled when i dropped the miles after the HM and when i built them back up i did it more slowly (this was the advice i was given) and it hasn't been a problem since.

Been a bit quiet on the running front this past week. Was crazy busy with life in general. When I did have free time, the weather was awful (yes I should just suck it up!) I felt guilty for missing parkrun on Saturday cos we had made other plans.

Mon 20/3/17 9.3km 1hr10mins
    Splits: 7:20, 7:35, 7:59, 7:45, 7:41, 7:39, 7:19, 7:42, 7:16, 6:17 (0.3)

I think I really needed this run, not to get mileage done but to clear my head, had a pretty frustrating day at work, home wasn't much better. At the 2.5 km mark I was nearly crying, not to do with running but just my thoughts. But when the watch beeped for 3km I couldn't believe it was 3km already, my calves felt fine, I felt fine for running so that cheered me up. Think I enjoyed the slower pace, I hadn't to slow down to a walk, only pausing at junctions. There's a fair climb on the 6th km which I've always had to stop and walk but this time I just kept going! The route I had planned was an out and back totalling 8km. When I got near the finish and seen I had 10 mins still to spare before I collect the child I nipped along a nearby loop where one of my friends used to live and that brought me up over the 9km mark. Is it ok to feel a bit smug?!

The plan I'm (loosely) following says 1:20 on Weds, 45 easy on Thurs and 1:30 on Sun. We have a crazy busy week at work this week, crazy busy weekend at home, might try for a bit of a run Thurs eve, Gaa circuits Fri and maybe a little run Sat eve over at my friend's place. I should really be getting one long run in before the 10km but it's not looking likely.

• Advertisement

You were right to get out for a run when things are getting on top of you. It really does help. That was a great run last night.

When is the 10km you are doing? Going on last night's time you will have no bother with it even if you do not manage to get another long run in. Good luck with it.

Advertisement