Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wearing hoodies in the gym

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,122 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I wear a hoodie to the gym, standard penny's hoodie and occasionally a branded one. When I'm warm enough it comes off.

God I'm so hardcore. I'm just screaming for attention.

Who cares what's written on someone's hoodie? Or even if they wear one? I normally stay well away from the "fitness" forum here because of how poisonous it is. I see things haven't changed.

Lighten up ffs.

You seem very defensive. Its ok, you can wear a hoodie if you want.

It does look silly though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

...... I'm just screaming for attention.

Yup

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Horusire

Amirani wrote: »
    I generally walk to gym, so need to wear something more than a t-shirt. Don't do cardio in the gym because I prefer running outdoors, so I'm there exclusively for lifting; never really get too warm. Hood down the whole time, except when squatting because it gets in the way otherwise.

Don't see the big deal.

This x 10

I squat with the hood up half because it gets in the way, half because I squat embarrassingly low weight so I prefer to have tunnel vision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I wear a hoodie to the gym, standard penny's hoodie and occasionally a branded one. When I'm warm enough it comes off.

God I'm so hardcore. I'm just screaming for attention.

Who cares what's written on someone's hoodie? Or even if they wear one? I normally stay well away from the "fitness" forum here because of how poisonous it is. I see things haven't changed.

Lighten up ffs.

To quote myself here;
    Not something which would bother me

Lighten up ffs kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

Never mind the hoodies what about blokes in tights?:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,417 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

To quote myself here;

Lighten up ffs kid.

Kid?

Ok...Buddy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Kid?

Ok...Buddy.

Such a little snowflake. Awww

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

billyhead wrote: »
    Whats that all about? The tracksuit hoodies I am referring too

This is the new thing after pyjamas in the supermarket.

The beginning of the end, I tell ya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

Eoinbmw wrote: »
    Never mind the hoodies what about blokes in tights?:p

This

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Silane

Yeah tights on, hood up and the biggest most impractical set of headphones on the market seems to be the new uniform.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,882 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Amirani wrote: »
    I generally walk to gym, so need to wear something more than a t-shirt. Don't do cardio in the gym because I prefer running outdoors, so I'm there exclusively for lifting; never really get too warm. Hood down the whole time, except when squatting because it gets in the way otherwise.

Don't see the big deal.

That sort of explains things. I've always changed at the gym & showered & changed there when done. I wasn't really thinking of going already in gym gear. Makes sense

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Such a little snowflake. Awww

No more attacking posters. Next sly dig gets carded

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 24,554 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

For all y'all giving out about hoodies and tights, you'd better be colour coordinated or you're no better than animals.

And not cool animals like panthers.

Slugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Means Of Escape

You seem very defensive. Its ok, you can wear a hoodie if you want.

It does look silly though.

And you will look like a knack .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

This thread is the exact reason that people don't go to the gym! You get judged now on what you wear as well as everything else?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 843 ✭✭✭HandsomeDan

Stay on the cardio side of the gym and you'll be fine. It's the weights guys that are suspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,554 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Stay on the cardio side of the gym and you'll be fine. It's the weights guys that are suspect.

Not in my experience.

The guys lifting the heaviest weights are, more often than not, the soundest ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

The entire content of this thread makes me very sad for the state of the (sometimes lack of a) fitness community in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

I wear my hoodie til I warm up. Then I take it off.

I'm in a small gym that's freezing at 6am.

If I'm warming up back squats I might even put my hood up, depending on how thick the hood is.

Never thought much about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Wearing a hoodie is gay.

I train like the ancient Greeks, naked and covered in olive oil

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

I don't think most in this thread are judging people based on what they wear. Usually if you see something in the gym slightly out of the norm then it catches the eye that's all. I worked in with a lad before and he was wearing trackies and a hoodie with the hood up. It was during summer and I just couldn't understand how it was comfortable but it's not like I thought lesser of him. You could definitely use a hoodie for the start of your session these days though. Fckin freezing
    pilly wrote: »
    This thread is the exact reason that people don't go to the gym! You get judged now on what you wear as well as everything else?

If that's the reason people don't go to the gym then that's more their problem than other peoples.

I don't think most in this thread are judging people based on what they wear. Usually if you see something in the gym slightly out of the norm then it catches the eye that's all. I worked in with a lad before and he was wearing trackies and a hoodie with the hood up. It was during summer and I just couldn't understand how it was comfortable but it's not like I thought lesser of him.

If that's the reason people don't go to the gym then that's more their problem than other peoples.

It's not really. I have tried gyms in the past and the judgemental looks and comments totally put you off going back. Yeah, maybe it is a problem of confidence but listen we're not all demi gods. If everyone was more accepting then more people would be inclined to go to the gym is all I'm saying.

Most in this thread aren't judging I agree but the whole idea of starting it was a judgement. Why does it matter to you what anyone else wears? It's like commenting on people in the street, I'd never dream of it. Everyone to their own I say and I never stray from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,417 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

It's more to do with the elitism that exists in this forum rather than the state of the Irish fitness industry.

Manys a time I've forgotten my trainers or my shorts or something else from my gym bag, I've gone straight from work, I've gone in jeans once.

Whatever I just want to get my workout done, I won't let a workout go just because I forgot shorts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

Lukker- wrote: »
    Wearing a hoodie is gay.

I train like the ancient Greeks, naked and covered in olive oil

You must find it difficult to grip your barbell......................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

A few observations I would make:

I don't think noticing what anyone else is at in the gym means you are slacking or being nosey. To be honest it'd be strange not to look around the gym. In fact on the odd occasion I would speak to someone in the gym you'd be surprised how well up they are on what you are doing, or maybe not so surprised - I'd see the same faces in the same areas of the gym usually.

I have never noticed anyone specifically looking at me or commenting in a gym with regard to what I'd wear, nor generally would I see others checking out other gym-users. But I am sure they notice. I would assume people would see what I was wearing unless they had some reason for averting their gaze but cannot imagine they would be too bothered. That said, they are entitled to have a view on whether it is good/bad/silly/deadly!

As for the hoodie................surely this is an utterly deliberate 'designer skanger' look? It's a bit like the permo-tracksuit look. They are the kind of thing some people would not be found dead in, while others would almost determinedly wear nothing else. But gym-heads are often a different animal. You see them out and about in the middle of winter in skimpy t-shirts as if in mortal fear people might not know they go to a gym.

Finally, I appear to have been lucky in that I have never attended a gym without adequate heating.

Powerhouse wrote: »
    A few observations I would make:

I don't think noticing what anyone else is at in the gym means you are slacking or being nosey. To be honest it'd be strange not to look around the gym. In fact on the odd occasion I would speak to someone in the gym you'd be surprised how well up they are on what you are doing, or maybe not so surprised - I'd see the same faces in the same areas of the gym usually.

I have never noticed anyone specifically looking at me or commenting in a gym with regard to what I'd wear, nor generally would I see others checking out other gym-users. But I am sure they notice. I would assume people would see what I was wearing unless they had some reason for averting their gaze but cannot imagine they would be too bothered. That said, they are entitled to have a view on whether it is good/bad/silly/deadly!

As for the hoodie................surely this is an utterly deliberate 'designer skanger' look? It's a bit like the permo-tracksuit look. They are the kind of thing some people would not be found dead in, while others would almost determinedly wear nothing else. But gym-heads are often a different animal. You see them out and about in the middle of winter in skimpy t-shirts as if in mortal fear people might not know they go to a gym.

Finally, I appear to have been lucky in that I have never attended a gym without adequate heating.

Why is it a deliberate "designer skanger" look? That's what I don't get. Some people find them comfy, that's why the wear them, it's actually not easy to buy a sweatshirt now that doesn't have a hood I find. (I don't wear hoodies in the traditional sense btw but do wear the ones that zip off)

Ah there are definitely some gyms that are quite cold first thing in the morning, like any place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

Powerhouse wrote: »

I'm not sure I'd want a gym to particularly warm at 6am.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Or any time... you don't want it to be roasting if you're working up a sweat like
    So I always have a hoody or zippy jacket while warming up

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Hollis Hurlbut

I wear a hoody (hood down, always). Baffled as to why it bothers some people. I find hoody's a really comfortable item of clothing in general. Of course if I get too hot I take it off.

Why anyone would think an item of sports clothing looks out of place in a gym is bizarre.

People wearing beanies in the gym - whole different matter.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement