Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Tommy Tiernan Show Thread - Mod warning, see OP

• 05-01-2017 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Tommy Tiernan's spanking new chat show kicks off tonight on RTE 1 @ 10:15pm. I always feel a little apprehensive ahead of his television appearances as they can be hilariously funny or fall flat. I like the guy a lot so I'll be tuning in tonight. I'll be willing him on.

Tommy's improvised chat show first started out on radio, RTE's 2fm to be exact and I thoroughly enjoyed each episode. There were four shows recorded in The Sugar Club in Dublin in front of a live audience. Tommy was really on form, he seems to feed off the audience.

Whenever I need a laugh, I listen to Podcast 4 - about 26 minutes in, he interviews the writer, Donal Ryan and the two of them had the best craic. I've received a few funny looks at work for laughing out loud while listening to it (with earphones in).

Tommy Tiernan @ The Sugar Club (Podcasts)
    tommy-tiernan-06.jpg
    No stranger to television chat shows, Tommy Tiernan has performed and been a guest on some of the biggest and most established ones in the world. For a long time Tommy has wanted to host his own TV chat show - one with an edge that re-invigorates the format.

For Tiernan the element of surprise is key to the success of such a show: "One of the great things about the old Late Late Show was not knowing who the guests were until they appeared on screen, it kept the whole thing lively, so I just thought, well how would it be if the host didn't know who they were until they walked out either. Doing it in front of a live audience is the key for me, it all seems like good unpredictable fun."

On 5th January, 2017, television audiences will be treated to a brand new series of The Tommy Tiernan Show. Hosted by the comedian, this is a chat show with a difference where neither Tiernan, the studio audience or the viewers at home know who the guests are until they walk out on stage!

A master of improvisation, Tommy thrives on the adrenaline of no preparation and shows that bring him to the edge of a cliff. He realises that the mystery guest format has the potential for disaster.or some kind of delightful mess! But, as last year's pilot episode for The Tommy Tiernan Show proved, in the hands of an inquisitive, articulate and intelligent man, with a great instinct for the hidden depths in everyday life, there is potential for great humour and freewheeling wildness.

Recorded in front of a live audience, in the very studio where Tommy made his television debut with Gay Byrne all those years ago, The Tommy Tiernan Show incorporates stand-up, live music, sketches.and great chat!

http://www.rte.ie/tv/programmes/tommytiernanshow.html

==============

Mod - This thread is about Tommy's interview show on RTE on Saturday nights. It is not about the ins and outs of his stand up tour, backlash or whatever offence he has caused or apologised for in that part of his life. Posters are also asked to keep their comments out of the gutter, thanks.

Post edited by The Black Oil on
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

This format was already tried with disastrous results in the 1990s, with results so bad it ended up on a "worst shows in the 1990s" type of show for everyone to look back and laugh at. I wouldn't be surprised if that's where Tiernan/RTE got the idea. Amazing how RTE and Tiernan are now trying to pass this off as something new.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

They did a pilot for this, and Des Bishop's show, at Christmas last year.

Tommy's show started off as funny but the joke of him not knowing who the guest was started to wear thin towards the end, well middle.

I haven't seen tonight's show but I noticed they tweaked Des Bishop's show a bit between last year and this so they might do the same with Tommy's tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

Was it really a shock that it was him? We saw the Aslan drum kit from the very start of the show.

On a side note, what's with RTE and their misery segments. Even this has it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,715 ✭✭✭lertsnim

He has no idea who the guests are? Aslan drum kit in the studio and out walks Christy Dignam as the guest.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

The set has a Mad Men feel to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Billy McGuinness and Twink would be good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

On a side note, what's with RTE and their misery segments. Even this has it.

I was thinking the exact same thing just as Christy himself wondered what sort of show he's on.

It's like the Meaning of Life with Uncle Gaybo Tommy Tiernan.

Snap

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

It's like the Meaning of Life with Uncle Gaybo Tommy Tiernan.

And the old Late Late Show set depending on the angle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,076 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Does he have a few quests on?

In fairness to Tommy, he is a better interviewer than Tubs or D'arcy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Tommy's show started off as funny but the joke of him not knowing who the guest was started to wear thin towards the end, well middle.

Remember him interviewing an MMA girl and he hadn't a clue who she was.
    In fairness to Tommy, he is a better interviewer than Tubs or D'arcy.

Setting the bar low there, Lady Chatterton.

Does he have a few quests on?
    Two guests per show.

Berserker wrote: »
    Remember him interviewing an MMA girl and he hadn't a clue who she was.

Setting the bar low there, Lady Chatterton.
    When he was doing this show on radio the same thing happened.....and he said...

"Hello, nice to meet you, can you remind us who you are again" :D

At least Tommy is staying quiet and letting the guest talk. Tubberdy and Darcy would be butting in with the next question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭savemefrom

I like Christy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

This is actually dreadful.

Who is up next? Surely we can wheel out someone with an ailment or the like?

We can be certain that Hector will appear on the show at some point.

Tommy is almost in tears :(

• Registered Users Posts: 81,076 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

LLS and all that ****, lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

Maybe it's his health or the lapel mic but taking those big gasping breaths is not conducive to singing well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭savemefrom

This is actually dreadful.

Who is up next? Surely we can wheel out someone with an ailment or the like?

We can be certain that Hector will appear on the show at some point.

Harsh

• Registered Users Posts: 7,077 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Not sure what to make of it but I'm hoping it turns out to be a good show.

LLS and all that ****, lol.
    I'm surprised he said that as the LLS has been good to Christy and Aslan down through the years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

I'm surprised he said that as the LLS has been good to Christy and Aslan down through the years.

Yeah, been a big supporter of Aslan and Irish music in general to be fair to the LLS.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Brinimartini

Am I crazy or am I right, didnt Yes have a big hit with How can I protect you in this crazy world before Aslan?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

"he didn't mean it that way!"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

Am I crazy or am I right, didnt Yes have a big hit with How can I protect you in this crazy world before Aslan?

christy wrote it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭bobmalooka

I'm fairly sure it was meant like all that stuff rather than calling the LLS sh!t.

• Advertisement

Christy is grand and all that but we've heard the same stories om the LLS before. At least he's not pluggung anything

Advertisement