Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

U2 Joshua Tree Tour 2017 / 2019 **No Ticket Sales**

• 26-12-2016 10:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 37,713 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

If anyone saw u2s Christmas message they mentioned that 2017 will be a huge year for the band. Songs of Experience will be released and there will be 'special' shows to commemorate the 30th anniversary of the Joshua Tree album

I wonder what and where these JT shows will be played ??. Have a feeling they take place in big cities such as London, Paris, New York, LA, Sydney etc. Obv Dublin could get a show but they might shock people and play a show/shows in the Olympia ( tickets will sell in a flash), maybe those 2 Croke Park shows next summer are saved for u2 ???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭lukin

Ha, you beat me to it, was gonna post bout this :D
    If Croker's three concert limit is enforced then two nights is the max they can play because as you say Coldplay have one night taken. Two will not be enough to satisfy demand in my opinion. I think the last two tours that they played in Croker they played three nights. Would it be better to play The Aviva instead?
    I have never been to a gig in Croke park but I have been told the sound is crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

lukin wrote: »
    Ha, you beat me to it, was gonna post bout this :D
    If Croker's three concert limit is enforced.
    In 2014 permission was given for 7 days of non sporting events to happen in croke park, and up to 9 actual events as brooks was permitted 2 gigs on 2 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,355 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Croke park is kinda crap. 2 week residency in the 3arena ftw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭The Raptor

rubadub wrote: »
    In 2014 permission was given for 7 days of non sporting events to happen in croke park, and up to 9 actual events as brooks was permitted 2 gigs on 2 days.

I don't think he had the license for those two gigs in the one day. It was discussed as an option and based on a new and updated event plan, the council would consider it. So there never was a license was for those two gigs in the one day.

I don't think something on that scale will happen again. I think if they go over the three they have to follow the new concert licensing laws.

I think the council has to have their decision made a month before the event happens. As far as I know the promotors also have to have consultantion meetings if they plan on adding more dates.

Somehow, I'm getting the feeling that there won't be enough time between extra meetings and having their application into the council in time for a summer gig.

You're looking at two more dates for 2017. There won't be anymore.

• Site Banned Posts: 880 ✭✭✭whiteshorts

I have never been to a gig in Croke park but I have been told the sound is crap.

Depends on where you are in the ground.
    You're looking at two more dates for 2017. There won't be anymore.

Would Marley or Slane ever get a shout?
    Big capacity and at least there's a "fair" chance of everybody getting a ticket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭SteM

Would Marley or Slane ever get a shout?
    Big capacity and at least there's a "fair" chance of everybody getting a ticket.

Sure Marley only holds 32k or so iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,713 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Joshua_Tree_Tour

They played 2 dates in Croke Park and 1 date in PUC Cork on the original JT tour. They may play those venues again on the new tour and be the first act too play the new PUC ???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

PTH2009 wrote: »
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Joshua_Tree_Tour

They played 2 dates in Croke Park and 1 date in PUC Cork on the original JT tour. They may play those venues again on the new tour and be the first act too play the new PUC ???

A PUC show would be a massive coup for Cork - be great to see it happen.

marvin80 wrote: »
    A PUC show would be a massive coup for Cork - be great to see it happen.

It would rule and really showcase the new stadium. It would sell out no doubt

Hopefully the tour will be announced very soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Broken Hearted Road

If U2 are to play croke park in summer of 2017, it will be announced by now. No doubt about that. I don't see tickets going on sale in January for gigs to take place for around July. That's a 6 month time frame. The timeframe is usually longer 7/8/9 months+ between ticket sales and gigs taking place.

I reckon if there's any more gigs for Croke park planned for the summer, it will be Garth Brooks taking the other 2 slots. GB over in America likes a short time frame between ticket sales and gigs taking place and I think the time frame is usually 6 weeks. Over here, he doesn't have that much control over that time frame. He does still like the short time frame andthe shortest he will get here will be 6 months. I reckon if there's any news in the next few more weeks about a croke park gig or two, it will be Garth Brooks. Very very doubtful it will be U2.

• Advertisement

If U2 are to play croke park in summer of 2017, it will be announced by now. No doubt about that. I don't see tickets going on sale in January for gigs to take place for around July. That's a 6 month time frame. The timeframe is usually longer 7/8/9 months+ between ticket sales and gigs taking place.

I reckon if there's any more gigs for Croke park planned for the summer, it will be Garth Brooks taking the other 2 slots. GB over in America likes a short time frame between ticket sales and gigs taking place and I think the time frame is usually 6 weeks. Over here, he doesn't have that much control over that time frame. He does still like the short time frame andthe shortest he will get here will be 6 months. I reckon if there's any news in the next few more weeks about a croke park gig or two, it will be Garth Brooks. Very very doubtful it will be U2.

On the I&E tour they announced the Irish gigs in September 2015 and they took place November 2015 (about 5 weeks after the ticket sale), Other dates on the tour were announced earlier

On the I&E tour they announced the Irish gigs in September 2015 and they took place November 2015 (about 5 weeks after the ticket sale), Other dates on the tour were announced earlier

It could very well be U2. Or Garth Brooks. But it won't be any more than two nights.

That is not correct. The Croke park gigs in July 2009 were announced in March of that year. The June 2005 gigs in Croker were announced in January of that year. So still plenty time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,217 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Why on Earth you didn't say 'Joshua Tree' in the thread title baffles me...

Birneybau wrote: »

I was using the mobile site and was too lazy lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Birneybau wrote: »

I got all excited about a U2/Timberlake mash-up show.

What a let down.

U2 would likely get more "special treatment" than the likes of that chancing money grabbing prick garth brooks, and I doubt they would try and pull a similar stunt, even far less likely after seeing the debacle he caused. I remember the Taoiseach got involved when U2 wanted 2 gigs in slane.
    I was using the mobile site and was too lazy lol
    you can edit thread titles by editing the post and clicking "go advanced". I never copped what JT was meant to mean until that recent post.

I remember the Taoiseach got involved when U2 wanted 2 gigs in slane.

That happened because Bertie (who was Taoiseach at the time) saw it as an opportunity to make himself popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Easterly Beasterly

U2 would likely get more "special treatment" than the likes of that chancing money grabbing prick garth brooks, and I doubt they would try and pull a similar stunt, even far less likely after seeing the debacle he caused. I remember the Taoiseach got involved when U2 wanted 2 gigs in Slane

U2.. the lads who rip the country of tax revenue at every opportunity? The only special treatment I'd be giving them is a tax bill :)

U2 would likely get more "special treatment" than the likes of that chancing money grabbing prick garth brooks, and I doubt they would try and pull a similar stunt, even far less likely after seeing the debacle he caused. I remember the Taoiseach got involved when U2 wanted 2 gigs in slane

Garth was of course being greedy. Its why he turned down 3 gigs. He could have earned himself more than half of what he was meant to get.

Why Tampa, Florida also got cancelled. There was a scheduling conflict at the venue. He could have played two nights there. But he couldn't play one night because of the scheduling conflict, so he didn't play any of them, I think it was 3 nights over there. He didn't want to disappoint anyone. Dublin wasn't any different.

Wish people would stop turning it around onto him. The fault was very much on our side. Those tickets shouldn't have been sold. Not for Croke Park considering the promotors and the council knew about the issues with the locals. They knew there was going to be a backlash.

Dublin city manager even said it himself. The second time the tickets went on sale, they were consulted before they went on sale and he said it himself that he didn't have a problem but there may be some objections.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

I got all excited about a U2/Timberlake mash-up show.

What a let down.
    Much better than the John Terry Collaboration I pictured!:eek::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Fortyjocks

The Raptor wrote: »
    Garth was of course being greedy. Its why he turned down 3 gigs. He could have earned himself more than half of what he was meant to get.

Why Tampa, Florida also got cancelled. There was a scheduling conflict at the venue. He could have played two nights there. But he couldn't play one night because of the scheduling conflict, so he didn't play any of them, I think it was 3 nights over there. He didn't want to disappoint anyone. Dublin wasn't any different.

Wish people would stop turning it around onto him. The fault was very much on our side. Those tickets shouldn't have been sold. Not for Croke Park considering the promotors and the council knew about the issues with the locals. They knew there was going to be a backlash.

Dublin city manager even said it himself. The second time the tickets went on sale, they were consulted before they went on sale and he said it himself that he didn't have a problem but there may be some objections.

In fairness he should have honoured the 3 gigs he had the go ahead for given originally only two went on sale. People who had tickets, hotels, flights etc for those shows should not have been let down, it was the artist who let those people down & it left a sour taste! Comparing the gigs to picking between his kids was a bit much. lets hope any similar farce is avoided with the remaining 2017 Croke Park gigs whoever is lined up for them.

Fortyjocks wrote: »
    In fairness he should have honoured the 3 gigs he had the go ahead for given originally only two went on sale. People who had tickets, hotels, flights etc for those shows should not have been let down, it was the artist who let those people down & it left a sour taste! Comparing the gigs to picking between his kids was a bit much. lets hope any similar farce is avoided with the remaining 2017 Croke Park gigs whoever is lined up for them.

Completely agree. He should have done the three. It was outside issues that was out of his control.

Still doesn't make him greedy for wanting it to be fair. You don't sell tickets and cancel on them. That was very much our fault.

Also, they hadn't an issue leading up to the concerts, safety tests were being passed, etc, etc. To pull the plug at the last minute was stupid. The concerts themselves weren't an issue, so I can see why he would be pissed off that two were cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭weadick

Time for u2 to come back to cork. No excuses now with the new stadium.

weadick wrote: »
    Time for u2 to come back to cork. No excuses now with the new stadium.

if they play similar venues to the 1987 Joshua Tree tour than Cork could be included

It would be a massive coup for the city with tickets being like gold. 2 Croke Park shows are a possibility too

saw somewhere that there is a gig announcement on the 5th Jan for the Dodger Stadium in LA, rumours of it being U2

if they play similar venues to the 1987 Joshua Tree tour than Cork could be included

It would be a massive coup for the city with tickets being like gold. 2 Croke Park shows are a possibility too

saw somewhere that there is a gig announcement on the 5th Jan for the Dodger Stadium in LA, rumours of it being U2

If they're playing stadiums in the US, it could be a stadium tour here.

If they're playing stadiums in the US, it could be a stadium tour here.

Looking like it

The I&E tour was all arenas so I imagine the arena boat is docked for the moment and stadiums are next

At least ticket prices could be bit lower for stadoums, prices on the I&E tour were horrendous

Looking like it

The I&E tour was all arenas so I imagine the arena boat is docked for the moment and stadiums are next

At least ticket prices could be bit lower for stadoums, prices on the I&E tour were horrendous

Well, if they don't play Croke Park, I don't know. I'm trying to follow each announcement in hope that it could be someone else.

But then I remember when Garth was here in 2014 doing his press conference in Croke Park, he did say that the tour won't be 'here'. I picked up on that as it won't be in Croke Park. Now that the RDS is back in use, it could be there.

lukin wrote: »
    That happened because Bertie (who was Taoiseach at the time) saw it as an opportunity to make himself popular.
    Not sure if you are agreeing or disagreeing with me saying U2 are more likely to get "special treatment". I doubt Bertie would have stuck his nose in if it had been the stereophonics (who headlined slane the year after).
    Though you are trying to be smart/sarcastic, you are correct, this was proof of his greed. They were claiming doing just 3 concerts was not economically viable.

I very much doubt they would have made a loss, just not made as much as he would liked to have make, so rather than do that he disappoints all those fans. He took a risk to make more money and lost, and all those fans lost due to his greed too.
    He didn't want to disappoint anyone.
    he did though, I can't believe the crap he was spouting at the time, making it out like it was "Sophie's choice" and dragging his dead mother into it, disgusting shameful behaviour. This backfired on him very badly though, since to save face he had to stick to his ultimatum, trying to blackmail/threaten the authorities into allowing it.
    Wish people would stop turning it around onto him. The fault was very much on our side. Those tickets shouldn't have been sold. Not for Croke Park considering the promotors and the council knew about the issues with the locals..
    Do you seriously not think GB knew about issues with the locals?!, do you really think nobody in his camp would have been aware and not told him?!?

The issues U2 had when they had 3 gigs was all over the media, there was huge backlash from residents. As a causal gig goer I was amazed they were planning so many gigs, as I was well aware of the supposed 3 gig limit, before it was being said all over the new again. People in the actual concert industry would have been very much aware. In the early stages of planning for this they were told again of the limits.

He certainly knew of the risk he was taking and so is very much amongst those "at fault".
    they were consulted before they went on sale and he said it himself that he didn't have a problem but there may be some objections.
    Yep, so he took the chance knowing fine well the risk. Pure chancer as I was saying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭weadick

Remember there was a couple of lads from Cobh who set up an actual campaign to bring U2 back to Cork, I think it was around the time of Vertigo, they were called Electricco as far as i recall. I remember talking to one of them before who actually met Bono and mentioned it to him to which he replied 'where's the venue?'!

Advertisement