Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€15 - 20GB + Unlimited any network calls and texts + free roaming - Lycamobile

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 MacTiarnain

Just to let ye know, the free roaming doesn't apply for all of Spain, e.g the Canary Islands, as my dad was on this plan and he ended up spending 30 euro worth of credit when he thought it was free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭rustledjimmies

BandMember wrote: »
    I kinda thought that alright - even though I received mails to say that it had been sent and another one saying "now that you've received your sim card"... I suppose I better request another one and hope for better luck this time.... :(

I just bought a Lycamobile SIM in a convenience store for 99c to get started. Seemed easier and quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭BandMember

Nice one! I might see if I can find a shop that sells them tomorrow and pick one up.... Should I call into a store to get my service cancelled and phone unblocked from my current provider?

BandMember wrote: »
    Nice one! I might see if I can find a shop that sells them tomorrow and pick one up.... Should I call into a store to get my service cancelled and phone unblocked from my current provider?

Oi, you again. I told you not to do this once already!!!

> Should I call into a store to get my service cancelled?
    Yes, if you never want to use your phone number again. No, otherwise.

> and phone unblocked from my current provider?
    Yes, you'll need the SIM lock removed from your phone. I'm assuming you got your phone via your carrier.

So, basic plan would be:
    1. Get a Lycamobile SIM
    2. Register SIM on Lycamobile.ie
    3. "Port" your existing phone number into Lycamobile (https://account.lycamobile.ie/portinrequest_irl.aspx?lang=en&_ga=1.240426307.1776446872.1468017731&affiliatedcode=0)
    4. Buy the "Ireland Plus" bundle 'coz it's a mad deal, especially tomorrow.

Oi, you again. I told you not to do this once already!!!

> Should I call into a store to get my service cancelled?
    Yes, if you never want to use your phone number again. No, otherwise.

> and phone unblocked from my current provider?
    Yes, you'll need the SIM lock removed from your phone. I'm assuming you got your phone via your carrier.

So, basic plan would be:
    1. Get a Lycamobile SIM
    2. Register SIM on Lycamobile.ie
    3. "Port" your existing phone number into Lycamobile (https://account.lycamobile.ie/portinrequest_irl.aspx?lang=en&_ga=1.240426307.1776446872.1468017731&affiliatedcode=0)
    4. Buy the "Ireland Plus" bundle 'coz it's a mad deal, especially tomorrow.

:pac::pac::pac: Yeah, it's me again.... :P

I know you answered me already, but after talking to my current provider and trying to cancel my service, I was more confused than ever because they really gave me the runaround.... :(

So, in short, I registered on the website for a SIM, they confirmed the SIM had been shipped, got a further mail saying "now that you've received your SIM" (but I haven't, yet) so just going to see if I can buy one in a local shop tomorrow instead.

Are you the guy who told me not to bother with this because I don't know what the hell "port" means? I still don't! :D

I really hope that I don't get stung for the rest of this month plus another month from my current provider though (on billpay but out of contract) if they reckon I have to give them 30 days notice.... :confused:

• Advertisement

I know you don't know all these things but you would if you'd just put in a teeny, tiny bit of effort yourself. You've obviously not bothered and I can't handhold you through this. Drop into a Tescos and have the folk at the Mobile counter sort this one out for you. Lyca's not for you, sorry.

I have looked into it and read a fair bit of this thread and the Lyca website itself. I've looked at that link and it seems easy enough. Should be good to go now. Sorry I don't know what the technical terms are, maybe if you had said them in layman's terms I'd have copped it long ago. Obviously, nobody ever had to explain to you what porting is, you've known it since birth...

Thanks for your help and your posts though, I really do appreciate them as they have been a great help and hopefully I'll be up and running soon.

What does porting a phone number mean

Top hit is:"Simply put, transferring/Porting a number means taking an existing phone number from one provider and transferring it to another."

I was steering you away from this because "porting" has been mentioned numerous times in this thread, not just by me, and you've not looked it up or asked what it was. Switching to Lyca, purely online, isn't as straightforward as it should be. I had issues with an account password reset that needed a little thinking outside the box solution to get around and others have had, for example, data configuration issues with their phones which they had to sort out themselves.

If the meaning of "porting" is throwing you, this is only the entrance to the rabbit hole now...

So, what is you're saying that unless you are tech savvy, there is no point in signing up to this service? Not being smart or anything, genuinely wondering.

I suppose that is the downside of signing up to an online service if you have any problems....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

If it helps, i worked in IT and telecoms for several years (20+) and only got to know what porting was after 'national roaming' was introduced. In fact, porting is a nickname, the correct name is mobile number portability, and usually called full number portability (prefix like 085, 086 also moves), but i still needed an explanation of the details at the time.

I am in favour of simplifying language as much as possible to make technology accessible to all, as described here "Cut the Code: Why Speaking In Technical Jargon Is Not Making You Look Smarter". I hope this helps end this discussion because it is not very relevant.

• Advertisement

Thank you Zynks, that was a very helpful post and your second paragraph is the point I was trying (but failing miserably) to make. If things are explained in laymans terms, I get them. I don't understand or know what all the technical terms are, neither do a lot of people.

Anyway, sure with a free SIM and a a tenner for the first month, I don't have anything to lose if it doesn't work - I can always use the phone again and try another provider....

Lol, you guys make learning a new word similar to getting a degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭celt2005

Does Unlimited National Mins in all national deals include Mobile phone calls?

Unclear as they also state lyce to lyca calls

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭NATLOR

celt2005 wrote: »
    Does Unlimited National Mins in all national deals include Mobile phone calls?

Unclear as they also state lyce to lyca calls

Yes, all landline and mobile calls to any network

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

NATLOR wrote: »
    Yes, all landline and mobile calls to any network

...except for non-geo numbers (1850, 1890, etc). Even for 1800 freephone numbers you need to have credit over the bundle, even if the call is free. That's a strange one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭castle2012

Ported over to lyca just over a month ago and I have to say. Network coverage exact same as tesco and I'm only paying 9 quid a month cheap as chips

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭maurice1

Just a reminder for people who don't call or SMS a lot but whatsapp and use data;

I put €5 via paypal (non recurring) on my phone.
    This gives me 10Gb (*147#) & 25 Irish landline/mobile calls, and 6 SMS out of my bonus €1 credit with 10c over!!

when this is finished after a couple of weeks, I can put on another €5 for the same again, that will get me till end of month.

I am still left with €10 on my account if I stayed at less than 50 mins and 13 SMS.

The following month I can buy the €9 300mins,300sms&1Gb,

Sometimes I will just keep doing the €5 topup and keep the credit for buying roaming addon for my hols

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,030 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

maurice1 wrote: »
    Just a reminder for people who don't call or SMS a lot but whatsapp and use data;

This gives me 10Gb (*147#) & 25 Irish landline/mobile calls, and 6 SMS out of my bonus €1 credit with 10c over!!

when this is finished after a couple of weeks, I can put on another €5 for the same again, that will get me till end of month.

I am still left with €10 on my account if I stayed at less than 50 mins and 13 SMS.

The following month I can buy the €9 300mins,300sms&1Gb,

Sometimes I will just keep doing the €5 topup and keep the credit for buying roaming addon for my hols

Which plan is that? I have both of my lads on lyca and I top them up by €5 every month for the 10gb of data, beside a couple of calls to me, they mainly use whatsapp and viber, and their Mam is on lyca so they get those calls and texts for free, however, they dont get to keep their credit thou, the calls to me are always taken from their €6.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭bigboss1986

Can someone tell me wich plan would be fine for internet roaming and calls in Canary Islands?Im so confused with those plans.

ATM I have :Europe PLUS, 300 International & National Mins,3 GB National Data for €10

Will this work in Fuertaventura (internet and calls? )If not how much they charge for internet abroad?Cant find any info on their website

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭maurice1

@Aquos76
    This isn't a plan it is what you get free when you topup by €5 online

@bigboss1986
    http://www.lycamobile.ie/en/roaming-sim-card for calls, yet I understand your confusion as I haven't bought these bundles and I still get free IE calls home when in UK from my €9 bundle and UK mobile calls are charged as if I were in Dublin 9c/min.

http://www.lycamobile.ie/sysimages/editorfiles/Home_April_2015_IE1.pdf for data

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

@Bigboss1986 : dont know about Europe PLUS but with the International Red bundle roaming calls do not come out of the bundle ( i.e. they are charged for as made ), also the data is National ( rather than international ).

Roaming calls : Its seems that free roaming is included with only some national bundles ( but who knows ! )

http://www.lycamobile.ie/en/roaming-sim-card

Data : If you do a bit of travelling then three.co.uk internet with legs might be the best international data option.

Has anyone managed to get a SIM from Lycamobile.es ? ( that will sort out spanish data & stop the need to roam )

What does TXTing SAVE to 2525 do to the call costs ( with & without bundles )?

There is a lot of mystery around Lycamobile. The main mobile operators have their fair share of mystery too - they just hide it better:p.

maurice1 wrote: »
    @Aquos76
    This isn't a plan it is what you get free when you topup by €5 online

I wasn't aware of the 25 mins and the texts, do you happen to have a link to where that is on their website?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭wiz569

Aquos76 wrote: »
    I wasn't aware of the 25 mins and the texts, do you happen to have a link to where that is on their website?

Here m8

http://www.lycamobile.ie/en/extra-credit-and-national-minutes-with-every-top-up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

is the original deal from the OP still valid? i recently moved to lyca and topped up by 15€ thinking i would get unlimited calls/text to all irish networks. i texted my brother twice today (he is on 3) and it took 30c out of my balance

You have to actually BUY one of the bundles to get the deal - topping up isn't enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

ah i see, thanks for clearing that up. will do next time

wiz569 wrote: »

I spoke to CS on this issue today, it seems my lads were actually getting this 25mins also, however the free minutes with these top up only last the calendar month and not the duration of the 30 days top up as with the data that also comes with the top-ups. So because I was topping my lads up around the 25th of each month they were only getting the benefit of these calls for a couple of days.

So realistically you'd want to be topping up around the 1-3rd of the months so as you could get the full benefit of the 25mins. Neither of my lads would use much more that 25 mins a month anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Guys has anyone managed to bypass the tethering restriction with something a 5 year old could do? No rooting or anything too technical?

cormie wrote: »
    Guys has anyone managed to bypass the tethering restriction with something a 5 year old could do? No rooting or anything too technical?

Is there a tethering restriction? I just tried switching on the hotspot on my wife's iphone and I was able to connect to it no bother. Speeds weren't great, but still worked fine thou.

IMG_5195_zps5xsfoo7z.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Is there a tethering restriction? I just tried switching on the hotspot on my wife's iphone and I was able to connect to it no bother. Speeds weren't great, but still worked fine thou.

IMG_5195_zps5xsfoo7z.png

Was it any better when a speed test was done on the phone while not tethering? I think the speeds are about correct. Lyca speeds are generally poor.

Advertisement