Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Weekly LIVE iMPACT Wrestling Thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,552 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Delete or Decay:

I very much enjoyed this. I love Broken Matt.
    I laughed a lot at Broken Matt at the zoo saying Jeff used to be a spot monkey.

I hope Vanguard 1 is okay. One of my faves. (How has Matt got me emotionally invested in a fecking drone? He's a genius.)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Brilliant stuff again, Matt is a visionary :D

Did anyone see the press conference between EC3 and Lashley? I thought it worked really well, I really liked the presentation of it, and EC3 at the faceoff was great

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Brilliant stuff again, Matt is a visionary :D

Did anyone see the press conference between EC3 and Lashley? I thought it worked really well, I really liked the presentation of it, and EC3 at the faceoff was great

The only issue I had was showing how few people were there. You're pre-recording it, use camera angles that don't show all 20 people that showed up early for the show. Other than that annoyance, I enjoyed it. Who would have ever thought Bobby Lashley would become pretty good on the mic?

I enjoyed the latest in the saga:

Vanguard 1 and Senor Benjamin are okay thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,857 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Just watched last week's episode today. Still an episode behind, but all I can think is "Sure 'tis a grand championship belt"

• Advertisement

Loved the Heel Jeff Hardy cameo after being dipped in the lake. Also pretty sure the lake is their out whenever they decide to move on, have Matt be thrown in for the first time and come back as normal Matt Hardy.

I like the lake making people change into alternate gimmicks, like Joseph Park and serious Jeff with his personalised belt.

So is Aly going to suddenly become a skilled wrestler at some point? I noticed when talking backstage about the gift she got Gail, her voce was less high pitched.

I watched Broken Matt and Brother Nero vs Decay for the tag titles from Bound For Glory. I'd recommend giving it a watch. It's good fun. The first part of the match was average enough brawling but then it went backstage and became like the Final Deletion type stuff and it was enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Watched some of this today but my god the commentary team are horrendous.

The Hardys vs decay was a fun match.

Codys debut was just meh as he always is.

Brandi/maria was terrible.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I watched Broken Matt and Brother Nero vs Decay for the tag titles from Bound For Glory. I'd recommend giving it a watch. It's good fun. The first part of the match was average enough brawling but then it went backstage and became like the Final Deletion type stuff and it was enjoyable.

WTF was Jeff's crazy first transformation?

• Advertisement

WTF was Jeff's crazy first transformation?

I had no idea about that either but I saw online someone said it's a character Jeff created called Itchweed. There's a few whacky videos of him like that on Youtube.

This was delightful!

Great cameo appearance in this too.

I was a bit worried when they decided to go down the amnesia angle route but I'm enjoying it. And what a great jumper he's wearing.

Loved the line:
    "Debbie, can I trust him?"

"Reby! My name is Reby!"

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭A Rogue Hobo

Isn't it ironic...

Probably the first and last time I find Alanis Morissette hilarious in 2016

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Dad Hardy stuff from the latest impact was hilarious. Its exactly how you do comedy in wrestling. Matt Hardy is having a great year in 2016, character wise

The amnesia storyline is ovah!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,815 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

I caught Impact last night.

It is actually painful. Their roster as never been so bad. A huge chunk of their guys are wrestlers that couldn't get themselves over enough to graduate past NXT, let alone WWE's main roster. Could you class anyone as a truly top top notch superstar? Jeff Hardy's stock has gone down as much as Matt Hardy's has risen.

Bateman, O Shea, The Legionnaires (or whatever they are called), Storm, Galloway, Sandow and especially Richards. They are all yellow pack IMHO.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I tried watching a bit, and the main thing I took away from it is how excruciatingly bad commentary is. I know we've given WWE a lot of stick for their poor commentary over the last few years, but Pope and Mathews are just atrocious to listen to.

Matthews is a bit of a dud alright.

Serious smell of "Heat" or "Velocity" off him. That's the level you are dealing with.

ShagNastii wrote: »
    I caught Impact last night.

It is actually painful. Their roster as never been so bad. A huge chunk of their guys are wrestlers that couldn't get themselves over enough to graduate past NXT, let alone WWE's main roster. Could you class anyone as a truly top top notch superstar? Jeff Hardy's stock has gone down as much as Matt Hardy's has risen.

Bateman, O Shea, The Legionnaires (or whatever they are called), Storm, Galloway, Sandow and especially Richards. They are all yellow pack IMHO.

Sorry Shag, excuse my ignorance but what does that mean?

• Advertisement

Ah they have a decent enough roster. I think the likes of EC3, The Wolves, Lashley, Galloway, DJ Z, Trevor Lee, Mandrews, The Hardys, Moose and others are all very talented guys.

All of the above guys could easily slot into WWE (NXT in some cases). Take EC3. He is a star in my eyes, he just has it. When in NXT (the old tv show not the developmental), he was only ever to show glimpses of his potential in a badly written show in which very few people saw. He wasn’t given a fair chance. In TNA, he’s been given the opportunity and freedom to show what he can do. He’s in my eyes very similar to The Rock in terms of being very charismatic and comfortable on the mic and being decent enough in-ring.

Galloway is another talented ex WWE guy. He wasn’t ready for the main roster when he debuted, still immature and green in terms of being positioned where he was when he debuted. He devalued as a jobber as he grew ready to be pushed. Look at his work on the indies and in TNA, he’s one hell of a talented guy and I hope he gets another chance soon in WWE as he can be easily a mid-card talent.

The problem with TNA I feel the company just has a stink it just can’t shake. People don’t really give it a chance and when they do there is enough garbage to put people off. From awful booking in some cases, to the terrible commentary team (Josh and Pope are equally awful) to other less than stellar roster members (An aging Al Snow and an “I couldn’t be bothered” Damien Sandow to name but a few), , to the sub-standard production values, coupled with the behind the scenes nonsense affecting the show, TNA has plenty of negatives holding it down.

Wrestling is all about perception and presentation, and right now TNA is a damaged product. While they are doing a lot of things right in some places, it’s hard for the talented roster to constantly shine and come off as big stars in TNA currently.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow_Pack

It's quite snobby I know. If we look at it as Ric Flair in his prime being the finest of fine wines, TNA would at present equate to a crate of Dutch Gold.

Aye I get ya now Shag. But it’s not TNAs roster holding it back, well maybe to a small degree in relation to depth and the few duds they have. It’s the perception and presentation of the show that hold it back.

Take TNA vs WWEs two main shows.

Presentation wise, one is extremely well produced compared to the other. From the lighting, to the entrance way, even to the colour scheme of the sets, TNA looks sub-standard right off the bat. WWEs production is top notch in regards how we see the product. TNA is a company cutting corners and can’t barely stay afloat let alone compete with WWE in that respect.

From commentary, WWE aren’t great but they are still leaps ahead of TNA. The Pope is a nice guy, but he makes Booker T seem like Bobby Heenan. And as for Josh Matthews, he is putting himself over and is waaaaay too smarky for anyone’s liking. He just comes off bitter while ignoring his main duties of putting the talent over. A change here could easily make TNA more watchable.

As far as storylines, they are as good as WWEs. Poor in places and great in places, nothing blow away in recent memory but by in large they are very similar in this regard. Sure you could argue that Broken Matt Hardy has been teh standout character in wrestling this year over any WWE wrestler.

In relation to the rosters, WWE obviously are ahead. They rely on the star power of part timers to drive the big events and have a great pool of talented wrestlers who they can’t seem to make into top stars par a few. TNA have very little star power, but they’ve done a good job at building their top guys up to be fair. Lashley has been booked strong (though I disliked him losing to Edwards), EC3, Galloway, Mike Bennett have all been elevated since joining (in EC3s case from nothing), as well as others like Rosemary and DJ Z. Booking on the lower, middle of the card isn’t great but the top end of the card has been decent enough. There roster has their fair amount of duds (Sherra, Al Snow, Aron “Damien Sandow” Rex, Jessie Godderz, An aging Abyss, The Legion). But overall they have a good roster, with many of them could easily hold their own in WWE.

Overall its the presentation and perception of TNA which hold sit back, not the roster.

Pope has improved, but still has quite a way to go. He would really benefit from a secondary show to get him used to it rather than being thrown in full time. Mathews is just awful but works cheap and won't cause problems because he knows he has no other options. With TNA not having a lot of money to spend, replacing him probably isn't a high priority unfortunately.

Has anything been said about their TV deal here? Only three more weeks on Challenge and they haven't announced anything yet as far as I've seen.

You could fire Josh and replace him with any current employee. Money saver.

beakerjoe wrote: »
    You could fire Josh and replace him with any current employee. Money saver.

Mathews does production too. You'd have to replace him there also. I'd love him gone but don't see it happening. They made a lot of cuts and he survived them all so someone thinks he is worth keeping. Hopefully whoever that is also leaves.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Josh is by far the worst commentator in wrestling and always has been.

Looking forward to tonight's show

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Pope has improved, but still has quite a way to go. He would really benefit from a secondary show to get him used to it rather than being thrown in full time. Mathews is just awful but works cheap and won't cause problems because he knows he has no other options. With TNA not having a lot of money to spend, replacing him probably isn't a high priority unfortunately.

Has anything been said about their TV deal here? Only three more weeks on Challenge and they haven't announced anything yet as far as I've seen.
    Oh yes he will. The man is notorious for being a monumental arsehole to both fans and wrestlers. When TJ Perkins said he didn't want to be Manik any more, Mathews started giving him ****e on twitter and said he should just leave. He was also an ass towards JR, and started bragging about all the money he made while other TNA wrestlers were late on getting paid.

I thought Total Nonstop Deletion was great.

I roared laughing when
    Skarsgard the dilapidated boat broke up the pinfall attempt
    and I was nearly crying over
    "the man with 3 H's would be proud of the way we buried this young promising talent"

• Advertisement

I was watching it wondering what the hell was going on. Was crazy. even having wrestlers being supposedly killed. Then all the random appearances.

Advertisement