Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snowflake Generation.

Options
  • 12-12-2016 1:53pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 566 ✭✭✭

The term refers to people reaching adulthood in the 2010s, The generation after millennials. This generation are characterised as being soft and overly sensitive, lacking resilience and ability to deal with the harshness of the real world. They value safety because they have been raised to fear everything around them, they have social behaviour issues, due to growing up in the age of "social media" they are unable to communicate with others without the use of technology.

Do you guys think this is an accurate description of young people today? or is it unfair?

Are you a Snowflake or Millennial. How do you feel about the overall public perception of your generation?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

Oi, do your own ecker!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I want €50 to participate

• Registered Users Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

The term is a good filter. Ignore people who resort to using it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Turtyturd wrote: »

Ah Turty, I was expecting a withering critique of Gen Snowflake, not their critics! :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭shane9689

everything you need to know is in this video

mind you, i don't agree with him 100% as he uses the soviet union as some strange and ill-fitted comparison, but his comments how the way univeristies are going is correct.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04wyGK6k6HE&t=3710s

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

This just reminded me of Tomi Lahren the other day on Trevor Noah - I'm a Millennial, I don't like labels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

Generation sh!thead would be more apt..

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Every generation is told that they're soft and weak and not as good as their predecessors.

It's all nonsense. The "snowflake" stuff is the swan song of people in the throes of a mid-life crisis who can't accept that they're no longer in tune with the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭brevity

Apparently if you show any empathy these days you are a snowflake/libtard/cuck...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

I'm glad there's no gross generalisations going on in here. Well reasoned and thought out debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭lc180

I really thought this thread was gonna about a chocolate bar. Man I'm old as f**k

• Registered Users Posts: 16,555 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

It's a nonsense term, just like virtually all the other terms.

They either have no meaning to start with, or are used so often and in so many situations that any original meaning has been completely diluted and lost.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I hear how shit my generation is so often, I think some of them are starting to believe it.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

Jim Reeves must be turning in his grave. ( if indeed he is in a grave).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

Turtyturd wrote: »

Excacly, had a poster here the other day saying ah the poor snowflakes, we were talking about provos in prison, you can call them a lot of things but snowflakes ain't one of them.

It's just another fashionable word to say when you haven't a clue. imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Some comedian who i can't recall says that it's the first generation who grew up receiving participation trophies.

They don't take losing or being told no well.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Some comedian who i can't recall says that it's the first generation who grew up receiving participation trophies.

And who were the generation who decided to hand out those participation trophies? ;)

"Kids these days are ..."

is basically saying, "My generation are so sh1t, we made a balls of raising the next one".

• Registered Users Posts: 14,694 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Ara balls
    Just remembered I'm old

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭soups05

in defense of that generation, i have a 25 year old son and a 23 year old daughter who roll their eyes and laugh at the idea of safe spaces. They are strong minded,independent and still care about others.

They don't succumb to the general view of millennials or snowflakes and none of their friends do either. Its a small minority of people who voice these idiotic view points, having spent too long on facebook or youtube.

I think most young people are sane,normal and just like any of us when we were that age.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

soups05 wrote: »
    in defense of that generation, i have a 25 year old son and a 23 year old daughter who roll their eyes and laugh at the idea of safe spaces. They are strong minded,independent and still care about others.

They don't succumb to the general view of millennials or snowflakes and none of their friends do either. Its a small minority of people who voice these idiotic view points, having spent too long on facebook or youtube.

I think most young people are sane,normal and just like any of us when we were that age.

I think you're right about the vocal minority but I also think that discussion of 'safe spaces' and the 'snowflake generation' is spurred on by the media as it generates traffic due to heated discussion on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

back when i were a lad, the teachers always said that 'empty vessels make the most noise'.

seems perfectly logical today too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭Oodoov

Definitely has a meaning to it without doubt and it's a worrying trend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Fluffy Cat 88

Generation X myself.

I remember older folk telling me how easy my life was compared to theirs back in the day. And so it continues.

Transport;
    Walking - bicycle - one car family - multi car family.

Communication;
    Phone box - house phone - mobile phone - smart phone.

Research;
    Older generation - encyclopedia - encarta - google.

Every generation has more convenience than the previous one. But at least mine didn't have social media and cyber bullying.

Back in my day blah.....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,981 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

A lot of the times 'generation snowflake' is mentioned it can be filed under the usual things older people say about younger people. Like 'where have all the good men/women gone' is something single people say when they can't get a date.

I think 'generation snowflake' is a phenomenon experienced by the user of the expression rather than the recipient. It usually happens when older people are so out of touch with the world that young people live in. They not only don't understand young people's behaviour, they also don't even know the factors that cause them.

'Generation snowflake' just tells me that the person using the expression is annoyed that things are done differently to when they were young, and they lack the self awareness to know that they also did things differently to their own parents/grandparents.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Rainman16 wrote: »
    The term refers to people reaching adulthood in the 2010s, The generation after millennials. This generation are characterised as being soft and overly sensitive, lacking resilience and ability to deal with the harshness of the real world. They value safety because they have been raised to fear everything around them, they have social behaviour issues, due to growing up in the age of "social media" they are unable to communicate with others without the use of technology.

Do you guys think this is an accurate description of young people today? or is it unfair?

Are you a Snowflake or Millennial. How do you feel about the overall public perception of your generation?

I don't subscribe to any of that. F*cking Millenials. Stupid carry on. People 'identifying' as Millennials etc, saying ''as a Millennial, I tend to....''get a grip. As for Generation Snowflake, that's tongue in cheek and is said to put people in a box, granted, it's warranted a fair bit of the time as some definitely endeavor to be offended. Anyway, shove your labeling, what's the fascination of grouping everyone into one set or another. It's such a Millennial thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

That's a bit rich, considering it's the previous generation that was handing those out. Nobody ever asked to receive one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭elefant

Excacly, had a poster here the other day saying ah the poor snowflakes, we were talking about provos in prison, you can call them a lot of things but snowflakes ain't one of them.

It's just another fashionable word to say when you haven't a clue. imo.

Ha! I've been following that thread without arguing for one side or the other, but that is a gross misrepresentation of how the term 'snowflake' was used there :pac:

He was scoffing at the idea of IRA members complaining about being treated harshly in prison. I don't think that sarcastic use of the term 'snowflake' in that context is much evidence for anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Wolf Club

The two most prevalent things associated with "Generation Snowflake" are probably safe spaces and trigger warnings, but have these actually caught on in Irish Universities? If you were studying Titus Andronicus, or something, would there be a warning on the cover advising the student to take care while reading it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

i fully agree i'm 25 and my OH is 23 , by times we both feel totally out of touch with our own generation including, my own sister who is 22.

There aren't 40 genders there's 2 at most 3 (2 + Neutral), i don't get how you can support all minorities when many of them hold conflicting values on each other, my sister again, is very pro LGBT , anti Church , openly atheist but also Pro Islam, it makes no sense , given Muslims have an even more negative view towords homosexuals and atheists than Catholics.

The participation award has allot to answer for , i played sport competitively my entire childhood i loved competing loved winning and hated loosing , but loosing teach's you and important life lesson sometimes your not the best , you have an off day or there's just someone better than you and on those day no you don't get the prize or the treat or whatever , you learn and the next time your better, you try harder, you train more , become better, then you win. the amount of people my age ive seen have near nearvous breakdowns because they haven't gotten a job after and interview or because they got some negative feedback in work is astonishing.

like it or not this is a weak fragile generation , i don't know is snowflake the right term but emotionally this is a weak weak generation, that struggle with any form of criticism or rejection.

Advertisement