Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Generation Snowflake

Options
  • 27-06-2016 10:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭

I've just been reading an article about a new book called 'I find that Offensive' by a 56 year old author writing about 'Generation Snowflake' .

She says:

“This generation has been reared to believe that safety trumps all. When they were growing up they were stopped from going out on their bikes because there were ‘probably paedos on every street corner’. In short, they were brought up to believe that everything was scary. This is coupled with the trend of catastrophising every social problem.

"By giving importance to every perceived slight felt by the younger generation, they grow up unable to deal with the hardships of the world. And when every jibe or insult is treated as a serious offence, it trivialises more important issues."

Just wondering if people agree or disagree with her.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Apparently we are all to be offended by Adele at Glastonbury yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

Sorry, but After Hours is my Safe Space. Please do not post anything like this as it will trigger me.

f*ck this world

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

Utter nonsensical generalisation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Moo Moo Land

Generation Snowflake? There is truth in that alright. I like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

Our parents probably also thought we were soft as ****e too.
    Growing up in houses with running water, electricity, cars and heating.

• Advertisement

I've just been reading an article about a new book called 'I find that Offensive' by a 56 year old author writing about 'Generation Snowflake' .

She says:

“This generation has been reared to believe that safety trumps all. When they were growing up they were stopped from going out on their bikes because there were ‘probably paedos on every street corner’. In short, they were brought up to believe that everything was scary. This is coupled with the trend of catastrophising every social problem.

"By giving importance to every perceived slight felt by the younger generation, they grow up unable to deal with the hardships of the world. And when every jibe or insult is treated as a serious offence, it trivialises more important issues."

Just wondering if people agree or disagree with her.

First things first, what are her qualifications in sociology, psychology etc?

If it's just a book of her observations about "things", meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭jigglypuffstuff

Utter nonsensical generalisation.

aww, did that offend you snowflake?:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

She used to be a mental health social worker, apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

You can even get reprimanded for slapping a waitress on the arse these days. The world's gone nuts!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

A good aul nuclear war will get everyone to harden da fúck up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

I think there is a grain of truth to it alright but like everything else it gets blown out of proportion.
    Duggy747 wrote: »
    Do I get to push the big button though? It's so shiny!

Duggy747 wrote: »

The extra limbs might help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

I'd agree,easy to pick out,all you have to do is criticise them and it's like sending out the bat signal,they all arrive to tell you how wrong you are..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

its funny that people don't get the irony in the term "micro aggression "

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

It will be great when all this hard older generation are dependent on the working younger generations for their health care and pensions: the snowflakes can then say that ye are so hard ye don't need pensions and such. Do without. Harden the **** up.

First things first, what are her qualifications in sociology, psychology etc?

If it's just a book of her observations about "things", meh.
    Couldn't disagree more.

Auguste Comte, the father of sociology, dropped out of university with no qualifications.

It's the same in many fields of the social sciences and the arts. How many of the great architects of the 20th century had architecture degrees? None of the big names, as far as I am aware. I believe Le Corbusier started his career as a watchmaker.

That's another problem with Generation Snowflake: the notion that a university degree entitles its bearer to respect and authority. No, your ideas rely on their own intellectual rigour, and not on the amount of alphabetic characters you attach to your name.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,577 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I lose respect for people who throw about labels like 'snowflake'.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

osarusan wrote: »
    I lose respect for people who throw about labels like 'snowflake'.

You take that back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

Where the **** did this "Snowflake" term grow from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

I agree with Fizzlesticks. Often people get offended on behalf of others who actually don't have any problem with the way someone has spoken or acted.
    Some people just love showing off their PC credentials, even when they haven't a clue what they're talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

RWCNT wrote: »
    I'm sure it's just about snowflakes being delicate and unique.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,415 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

py2006 wrote: »
    Apparently we are all to be offended by Adele at Glastonbury yesterday.

****ing Adele.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Mr. Farage

I have a friend who installs and fixes those electric gates in peoples driveways. He started the business in 2005 and even through the recession his business has grown year on year. He now employs 12 people and has plans to expand. So what's that got to do with the OP's post I hear you cry?

People are more afraid now than they have ever been and the vast majority of the houses installing these gates are normal three and four bedroom houses not country mansions who's owners have been programmed by main stream media to believe ISIS are going to behead them or every second man is a possible pedo. Fear is used as a weapon and we see it everywhere around us. People have health insurance, life insurance, house insurance, travel insurance, gadget insurance etc.. it's like we can't ever take a risk "just in case". We live in a mixed social and private housing estate and the number of parents from the private houses who won't let their kids outside to play is obvious compared to the kids from social housing who spend most of their time you know just being kids.

Hope things change and people can just learn to stop being so offended and worried about every little thing as life is far too unpredictable and special to spend it worrying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

Ahh...this is one of those delightful topics where everyone believes it's the other folks that are in the wrong and nobody really considers the other persons point of view.
    Everything goes round in circles until everyone's slightly pissed off and more polarised in their opinions.

Good times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

I'm actually waiting for that book to be delivered at the moment, really looking forward to reading it.

The so called "generation snowflake" seems to be a sub set of the current 18-25 year olds. I have lived with one (thankfully not any more), and I must say it was like living with a child throwing toys out of the pram anything she was under stress, or she came across something that didn't up to her ultra high PC standards.

Once she lost the plot with me for calling one of my mates a "big girls blouse" when he ran away from a wasp. Apparently the biggest insult I could have given him (a man) was calling him a woman. She wasn't too happy when I told her to man up! :D
    Mr. Farage wrote: »
    every second man is a possible pedo.
    I know what you mean, one of my mates gets strange looks when he brings his daughter to the play ground. he lets her off, and he sits there until she is finished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

Sure, you can't even call your dog N*gger any more.

Even Blackie is too much for some.

• Advertisement

RWCNT wrote: »

A term to ridicule overbearing parents that think their crotchspawn (or semen demon) is going to invent the cure for cancer.

Advertisement