Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LETS ALL LAUGH AT PEOPLE WITH DEPRESSION!!

Comments

I have always struggled with the depression aspect of my bipolar. Mania is well controlled with just the occasional and short lived hypomania episodes.
    For over a year now I have been fortunate to have a friend who I can talk to and who completely understands me as we both have bipolar.
    I came to the conclusion in conjunction with my friend and my family that my version of being normal over the last few years is in fact very abnormal. The kids always know they can find me in or on the bed. It can take from a couple of days to a couple of weeks to start or finish simple tasks. I am generally lacking in emotions except the self-absorbing emotions when feeling low. Trouble is everyone including myself have adapted to this version of me. Only my friend was able to push me into understanding how abnormal it really was and that I needed to do something about it.
    Anyway I went to my GP today and discussed a major change in my medication. Am staying on my antpsychotic (always feels odd saying I take an antpsychotic) but steering clear of the SSRIs, SNRIs and Tricyclics, and starting a different type of Anti-depressant. The hope being that it will reduce my never ending fatigue and lack of emotion which are at the core of my depression.
    So the next month might be tough with withdrawal (gradual) of my SSRI and starting my new med.
    Am kinda writing this post so I can read it again over the next month if things get bad to remind me why I took this action and that I need to give myself time for the meds to stabilise.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 470 ✭✭Joe Musashi

I am a very bad depressive. The only enjoyment I get out of a day is 5/10 seconds when I wake up and don't realise where it is I am, but then the constant sense of misery sets back in.

I do take antidepressants and have tried a number of different types in varying doses but nothing seems to have helped me thus far. The most debilitating part is the constant feeling of fatigure and tiredness. Over the weekend, on one day I slept for 8-9 hours, woke up, felt exhausted but kept awake for another 6 hours and then went back to sleep for another 8 hours after that. I do not understand why it is that I feel tired all the time, but that feeling, and the thought of not being able to do get anything done or do the basic things in life like feeding yourself adequately brings me to the edge, honestly. I know there are people with things way worse then me but I just feel incapable of leading a normal, healthy life and developing the social relationships that others have. I live in almost complete isolation at this point. I have almost no interpersonal skills, I do not know how to approach or interact with people most days but then there are very rare occasions where I feel able to approach anyone in the room and make a really good impressio

I have been able to get away with being this depressed thus far mainly due to being a student. If I miss a day nobody notices or cares very much. If I was in a permanent job and felt this way I am not sure I would be able to manage.

I have started drinking heavily in the last few weeks. Last weekend I had a particularly bad/ dangerous weekend where I drank a lot of vodka (alone, of course), went out at around 2:30 and fell asleep on a park bench in the city centre for 2 and a half to 3 hours. Nothing happened to me, thank God, but a couple of days on I really feel like things are going out of control and getting much worse. For some people that may be a laugh amongst friends but for me it was more a sign of how things are deteriorating. I am not ordinarly I heavy drinker and have only been drunk maybe 4 times in my entire life by the way. I have started drinking by choice as it seems to be the only way to get me up, give me energy and get me going. Alcohol seems to remove that constant feeling of lethargy I have for a few hours at least.

I should have probably written this post anonymously given that there a few people on here who know me in real life, but **** it I have nothing to be ashamed of. I am depressed, alone, miserable, feel incapable of doing the basics, I am isolated from other people I may something in common with (Irish abroad etc) and I feel like things cannot get much worse for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I am a very bad depressive. The only enjoyment I get out of a day is 5/10 seconds when I wake up and don't realise where it is I am, but then the constant sense of misery sets back in.

I do take antidepressants and have tried a number of different types in varying doses but nothing seems to have helped me thus far. The most debilitating part is the constant feeling of fatigure and tiredness. Over the weekend, on one day I slept for 8-9 hours, woke up, felt exhausted but kept awake for another 6 hours and then went back to sleep for another 8 hours after that. I do not understand why it is that I feel tired all the time, but that feeling, and the thought of not being able to do get anything done or do the basic things in life like feeding yourself adequately brings me to the edge, honestly. I know there are people with things way worse then me but I just feel incapable of leading a normal, healthy life and developing the social relationships that others have. I live in almost complete isolation at this point. I have almost no interpersonal skills, I do not know how to approach or interact with people most days but then there are very rare occasions where I feel able to approach anyone in the room and make a really good impressio

I have been able to get away with being this depressed thus far mainly due to being a student. If I miss a day nobody notices or cares very much. If I was in a permanent job and felt this way I am not sure I would be able to manage.

I have started drinking heavily in the last few weeks. Last weekend I had a particularly bad/ dangerous weekend where I drank a lot of vodka (alone, of course), went out at around 2:30 and fell asleep on a park bench in the city centre for 2 and a half to 3 hours. Nothing happened to me, thank God, but a couple of days on I really feel like things are going out of control and getting much worse. For some people that may be a laugh amongst friends but for me it was more a sign of how things are deteriorating. I am not ordinarly I heavy drinker and have only been drunk maybe 4 times in my entire life by the way. I have started drinking by choice as it seems to be the only way to get me up, give me energy and get me going. Alcohol seems to remove that constant feeling of lethargy I have for a few hours at least.

I should have probably written this post anonymously given that there a few people on here who know me in real life, but **** it I have nothing to be ashamed of. I am depressed, alone, miserable, feel incapable of doing the basics, I am isolated from other people I may something in common with (Irish abroad etc) and I feel like things cannot get much worse for me.

I used to hate waking up. That was assuming to got any sleep (I had terrible insomnia at one time). Many a time I would go on a bender or take some tablets while drinking geniunley wishing I wouldn't wake up.

I used to think that my life was worthless, that I was a waste of space and that my life would never change. That there might be a solution to everybody on this planet. . . But it would somehow not work on me.

There was a time I was on anti depressants, sleeping tablets, zanex and still having a few drinks each week. My nerves were shattered (terrible anxiety) and I was constantly depressed to the point where I felt I couldn't go outside my house or do my job because I dreaded interacting with people.

I am typing this from an Applegreen garage. Spent the last hour and half doing some work on my laptop for a client of mine and after I type this I am going to a specific support group that I frequent weekly.

I only take a low dosage of a medication to help me sleep, don't drink, lost weight, get regular exercise, attend support groups, goto therapy when I need it and have a relationship with friends/family that I never imagined I could have.

Sharing my feelings on this thread really helped but to be frank I could only take really small bits in at the start because my mind was racing. It was also wired to always presume the worst and expect disappointment. In a way I was more comfortable with sadness/anxiety and expecting the worst, then I was with actually enjoying any snippet of happiness that I might be lucky to get any given day.

Taking action and steps was where it really started for me. Talking and thinking about my situation was only one stage of my recovery from the depths of despair to a really happy meaningful, peaceful life.

I lost my dad in march and there was a time when I never could of imagined being able to deal with that tragedy. It still hurts today but I have learned to much better deal with the knocks in life.

Going to CBT group (Aware do group sessions, I found them great), really helped. Confiding in my doctor (hes a good doctor) helped. Going to therapy helped. Talking with friends family helped. I learned that some friends/family are better at support then others, but that doesn't mean that the ones who don't support me don't care. They may just not know what to do or say.

If you feel isolated, by posting here you are reaching out and taking action to try and change that situation. I know what turning to alcohol did for me and I wouldn't wish it on anybody. Its scary because I got lost in the kind of world you are talking about and the saddest thing is that I was the last person to figure out what my problem was. But, I got help, support and listened to professional advice.

My ego and lack of humility prevented me from changing and learning new ways of living. The old "I know better" or "I don't like that " used to suppress my growth. Letting go of what I thought and believed and learning a new way of living and thinking has made my life unrecognizable from what it was 5 years ago. On paper the material things and physical things are the same (I didn't become rich) but emotionally I have a life beyond my wildest dreams.

PM me if you would like to talk one to one, otherwise keep posting here if you get something positive from it. Life is hard enough with support, but without any help, I know the depths of despair that used to haunt me. It took so much from me, including time I wont get back with my children or dad. You are still young and can turn things around because you have quickly identified a problem. Its not easy Joe, if it was everybody would be happy, but I believe if I can turn things around , people who have suffered like me can do it aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

I was site-banned on Boards for sending a troll an abusive PM. A couple of hours later i was un-banned and given a 2nd chance in the Prison Appeal Forum. It's very much an excuse but i stopped my 100mg of Sertraline cold turkey recently and it's been a pretty bad decision by me - i've been going through really bad dizzy spells, shaking spells and insomnia. If i get 2 hours solid sleep a night i've done well.

What that very brief episode made me realize is how important the community i feel part of (Boards.ie) is to me. That even the prospect of a 2-week ban made me feel very anxious. Afraid even. When i'm awake at 4am struggling, i find this site to be a tremendous comfort.

I've never met most of the people i interact with on Boards and i don't know their names, yet in my mind they're the closest thing to an outlet and escape i have from how i'm feeling.

I used to post in this thread almost daily until i drifted away from here.

I just want to extend this offer to every single person reading this thread and anybody who is suffering - My inbox is always open. You don't know my name, where i'm from or how i'm feeling but if you're struggling and want to talk at any time day or night, my inbox is open to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Makapakka

I stopped my tablets completely last Saturday. I don't want to be on them. I started a new food programme to get my body producing it's own serotonin but I guess I came off then too early. Yesterday and today have been really downers. No energy, low mood. I've had moments of ok-ness, but when I get time to think, my brain starts the downward spiral. I don't want to go back on my meds. I was strong enough to get off them last year, and nothing in my circumstances are making me feel low, it's just my head. Hormonal imbalance perhaps. I just want to feel happy most days and strong enough to deal with my off days. To know I'll come back again. But right now I'm scared I'll sink lower, my anxiety will flare up. The woman who gave me the new food programme was a nutritionist and she said my body was very wound up from food intolerences and stress and I just want to make it better. I wish I could just click my fingers and be in a better mood. I even went to my favourite dance class and it did nothing for me. I feel like crying. I want to cry to let it out. Bur the tears won't come.

Makapakka wrote: »
    I stopped my tablets completely last Saturday. I don't want to be on them. I started a new food programme to get my body producing it's own serotonin but I guess I came off then too early. Yesterday and today have been really downers. No energy, low mood. I've had moments of ok-ness, but when I get time to think, my brain starts the downward spiral. I don't want to go back on my meds. I was strong enough to get off them last year, and nothing in my circumstances are making me feel low, it's just my head. Hormonal imbalance perhaps. I just want to feel happy most days and strong enough to deal with my off days. To know I'll come back again. But right now I'm scared I'll sink lower, my anxiety will flare up. The woman who gave me the new food programme was a nutritionist and she said my body was very wound up from food intolerences and stress and I just want to make it better. I wish I could just click my fingers and be in a better mood. I even went to my favourite dance class and it did nothing for me. I feel like crying. I want to cry to let it out. Bur the tears won't come.

It's really important to wean off psychotropic medication Makka. A sudden stoppage can leave you with the same symptoms you were trying to battle in the first place. I would go to your doctor and see what he/she advises.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

I have always struggled with the depression aspect of my bipolar. Mania is well controlled with just the occasional and short lived hypomania episodes.
    For over a year now I have been fortunate to have a friend who I can talk to and who completely understands me as we both have bipolar.
    I came to the conclusion in conjunction with my friend and my family that my version of being normal over the last few years is in fact very abnormal. The kids always know they can find me in or on the bed. It can take from a couple of days to a couple of weeks to start or finish simple tasks. I am generally lacking in emotions except the self-absorbing emotions when feeling low. Trouble is everyone including myself have adapted to this version of me. Only my friend was able to push me into understanding how abnormal it really was and that I needed to do something about it.
    Anyway I went to my GP today and discussed a major change in my medication. Am staying on my antpsychotic (always feels odd saying I take an antpsychotic) but steering clear of the SSRIs, SNRIs and Tricyclics, and starting a different type of Anti-depressant. The hope being that it will reduce my never ending fatigue and lack of emotion which are at the core of my depression.
    So the next month might be tough with withdrawal (gradual) of my SSRI and starting my new med.
    Am kinda writing this post so I can read it again over the next month if things get bad to remind me why I took this action and that I need to give myself time for the meds to stabilise.

Could have been me that posted this. Same story. I go hypomanic on most anti depressants. I have found a bit of peace with 1000mg lithium and 300mg lyrica.

It's really important to wean off psychotropic medication Makka. A sudden stoppage can leave you with the same symptoms you were trying to battle in the first place. I would go to your doctor and see what he/she advises.

I hadn't been taking them regularly, so it was kind of a wean off them.. I was taking them for a few days then I'd forget for a few days then another few days and it'd go on and on so that wasn't good for my system either

I hadn't been taking them regularly, so it was kind of a wean off them.. I was taking them for a few days then I'd forget for a few days then another few days and it'd go on and on so that wasn't good for my system either

It really wasn't. I think there needs to be more awareness about the importance of those types of drugs, how they can impact upon you if not taken correctly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Big day in work tomorrow, but I'm prepared well and actually looking forward to it

FortySeven wrote: »
    Could have been me that posted this. Same story. I go hypomanic on most anti depressants. I have found a bit of peace with 1000mg lithium and 300mg lyrica.

It's been a tough few weeks. Insomnia has been ever present. I am lucky to get more than 2 hours sleep.
    Since my meds change, there has been one life changing difference. After years of incessant fatigue, I find that I am awake all day long, without the need to go lie down for a nap. This is despite the insomnia.
    A few thing that are not pleasant and have not subsided is agitation and anger. I can not get rid of it. It may well be due to the interaction between my antipsychotic and the new anti-depressant. I will have to discuss this with my doctor.
    Another 2 weeks before I go see my doctor. I hope that the insomnia and being wide awake all day, does not end up in a payback situation.

mansize wrote: »
    Big day in work tomorrow, but I'm prepared well and actually looking forward to it

Today went well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

Been v anxious the last few days, the loniness Im gong through.doesn't help....Im so scared of the future. Im scared of people Im scared of life

Been v anxious the last few days, the loniness Im gong through.doesn't help....Im so scared of the future. Im scared of people Im scared of life

Hope things look up soon

Feeling low again. I just want to be happy. Satisfied. I am thinking.. where is my life going? Is this all I have to do to live for the next 50 years and then die? I have my daughter and it scares me so much to think about leaving her or her leaving me. Argh my mind can't seem to stop the bad thoughts when I come off the meds but I don't want to be on them. I feel like I'm living, constantly thinking of the next step.. when I get a better wage, when I'm skinny, when I'm healthy, when I've my own place, when when when.. it's a constant thought in my head. Just can never live in the here and now. I'm always worrying about something. I've a doc app on Friday so I'll talk about my meds then. I feel quite alone though because i stopped seeing my therapist too.

It is coming up to my time of the month too so that could be the dip in mood.

I go from feeling quite positive to feeling quite low a lot. Not manically, just tiredness comes upon me to stop the positivity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I just like this guy more and more every time I see him. Fair dues!!

http://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2016/1117/832329-al-porter-reveals-stigma-of-depression/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

ongarboy wrote: »
    I just like this guy more and more every time I see him. Fair dues!!

http://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2016/1117/832329-al-porter-reveals-stigma-of-depression/

Thought it was one of the bravest things i ever seen anyone do on live tv. Fair play to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

I can hugely relate, SAC. Just don't know where to turn anymore.

I get scared too Hugo. Such fragile creatures us humans. Sometimes there isn't anywhere to turn. Sure there may be people who care and who will listen but you can still be left feeling alone and not fully understood.

There is one person who will never ever let you down and that's yourself. Know who you are, learn to own all parts of you. Don't distract from how you feel. Take your meds properly (if any) but remember the hard work is ultimately down to you. If you can manage to get to that place then the fear won't overwhelm as much nor will the loneliness.

x.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

I get scared too Hugo. Such fragile creatures us humans. Sometimes there isn't anywhere to turn. Sure there may be people who care and who will listen but you can still be left feeling alone and not fully understood.

There is one person who will never ever let you down and that's yourself. Know who you are, learn to own all parts of you. Don't distract from how you feel. Take your meds properly (if any) but remember the hard work is ultimately down to you. If you can manage to get to that place then the fear won't overwhelm as much nor will the loneliness.

x.

Thanks, P. x

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,917 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

feel a bit depressed as im 27 and still single. been single since 2013 didnt have a date since then or been with a girl. I fear i still will be single by the time im 33

I want to explore online dating but have been hearing bad things

My ambitions is too get a factory or steady job (full time 5 days a week etc), get married and have kids.

I was diagonsed to be on the Austism Spec (slight Aspergers) back in 2013 which affected my previous relationship id say (social issues etc) but i knw the issues ill face and hopefully i can manage that in my next relationship (if theres is one)

any advice ??

PTH2009 wrote: »
    feel a bit depressed as im 27 and still single. been single since 2013 didnt have a date since then or been with a girl. I fear i still will be single by the time im 33

My ambitions is too get a factory or steady job (full time 5 days a week etc), get married and have kids.

I was diagonsed to be on the Austism Spec (slight Aspergers) back in 2013 which affected my previous relationship id say (social issues etc) but i knw the issues ill face and hopefully i can manage that in my next relationship (if theres is one)

any advice ??

I'm 27 and have been single for almost two years. I have a young child too which makes it hard to meet someone. I do get lonely and want to meet someone but I'm waiting until the time is right. I left my last relationship because the person wasn't right for me and I'm not gonna settle. Try not to let it consume you, continue doing things you love and I believe that the right person will come along when the time is right!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

PTH2009 wrote: »

any advice ??

I know it may mean nothing but i wouldn't give up hope of finding someone and the online dating thing can work it is how i met the person im with now. Once you filter out the idiots then there a good people on there that may feel how you feel so its worth a shot. Get to messaging someone and see how it goes and before you know it things could change in what appears an instant. Go into it with an open mind and you never know who you may meet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭La.de.da

I second what makka said. Don't get too hung up or obsessed with looking for a relationship. Focus on yourself for a while. Find out who you are.

I'm 32 single 3ish years and I've no intention of changing that for anyone not deserving of my time love and heart.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 161 ✭✭OCEANIC FIZZY POP NINE

Low cost registered counselling options midland region? Whats available?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

This is a good list... I dunno about low cost but most counsellors are open to discussing costs.

http://www.counsellingdirectory.ie/

DeVore wrote: »
    This is a good list... I dunno about low cost but most counsellors are open to discussing costs.

http://www.counsellingdirectory.ie/

Also www.iahip.ie and www.iacp.ie. They are the two regulatory bodies and have a list of fully accredited and trained therapists. Fees can be negotiable but if going to a private practice then most will be a minimum of €50. Therapists have a lot of overheads I imagine.

There are counselling centres which offer as low as €20 for the unemployed but I'm not aware of any in the midlands.

Counselling can be invaluable for some people with mental illness. I know I spent a year in it when I was going through a bad time in my early 20s.
    I really don't understand why counselling is not made available (without several months waiting time) for those that need it. Even if it saved one life it would be worth it. I imagine it would save a lot more than 1 life in Ireland.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

And save the country a bag load of money in the process... an ounce of prevention being worth a pound of cure and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Should the media not shy away from the word 'suicide', read the sad article about Claire McSorley and all the references were to her sudden death. I know it's good to be sensitive but is wearing kid gloves helpful?

• Advertisement

cloudatlas wrote: »
    Should the media not shy away from the word 'suicide', read the sad article about Claire McSorley and all the references were to her sudden death. I know it's good to be sensitive but is wearing kid gloves helpful?

So very sad. I believe the media should be more forthcoming when it comes to suicide. Kid gloves will drive it further in to the realm of "shh don't talk about such things". Now I'm open to taking a different view because it's a subject which is complex and difficult. I'd be interested in hearing other opinions on it.

So very sad. I believe the media should be more forthcoming when it comes to suicide. Kid gloves will drive it further in to the realm of "shh don't talk about such things". Now I'm open to taking a different view because it's a subject which is complex and difficult. I'd be interested in hearing other opinions on it.

Totally agree that it should be reported more in the media and not shoved under the carpet.
    I know that people are concerned about the media reporting suicide and the effect it can have on the family. Is it that much different than the reporting of fatal car accidents where drivers are at fault of killing someone. No one worries about the impact those reports have on families.
    No need for the media to mention names, give it the same level of coverage that car accidents get.
    If it was on TV everyday, it would not be long until there was an outcry about it.

I am feeling really sad today. I "follow" Facebook pages of kids who have cancer and a lot of them have passed away recently, and I feel like I'm.. grieving or something, even though I don't know any of them. I then start thinking about my own parents deaths (that have yet to happen), or what if my daughter got cancer, or I did and had to leave her behind. I just can't stop thinking these things. And I was feeling great last week. And then I got sick, and that led to feelings of sadness and weakness.. I don't know if I should go back to counselling. It's like I'm only realising that when people die, they're gone, forever. I know this is so morbid. I was fine last week? And now I'm not. And I'm giving out to myself that I'm not. How do you accept the bad days as bad days and move on? I hate feeling low.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭benny79

I am feeling really sad today. I "follow" Facebook pages of kids who have cancer and a lot of them have passed away recently, and I feel like I'm.. grieving or something, even though I don't know any of them. I then start thinking about my own parents deaths (that have yet to happen), or what if my daughter got cancer, or I did and had to leave her behind. I just can't stop thinking these things. And I was feeling great last week. And then I got sick, and that led to feelings of sadness and weakness.. I don't know if I should go back to counselling. It's like I'm only realising that when people die, they're gone, forever. I know this is so morbid. I was fine last week? And now I'm not. And I'm giving out to myself that I'm not. How do you accept the bad days as bad days and move on? I hate feeling low.

I know this is very obvious but I would stop following them pages straight away.. Have a mantra mine is "life is good, life is great, all goods things happen to me" I say it a couple of times a day out loud.. and go back to counselling even once a month I find it great!The mantra was actually my counselors idea ;):

I will probably go back on medication. I don't want to feel this way any more. And I can't deal with the highs and lows. It's not fair on my daughter, or myself. I hate that I feel like a failure for going back on them, I literally feel anxiety because of my thoughts about taking the meds. I just feel like I'm the only one in the world who feels like this, when I KNOW that everyone has their own issues. It's just the fact it could be like this for my life. I'm scared.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭benny79

Hi Maka why dont you go back to counselling before you decide on going on meds ..I found this worked wonders for me and really helped me when I was in a very bad place..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

I've been so tempted to take the Sertraline my neurologist prescribed. I did some research though and a lot of people said it made their anxiety worse?? That's the thing I want to treat!!

Does anyone ever feel like super agitated/restless or tense? Can feel it all over your body even if you're in a relaxed atmosphere and not under pressure.. I feel like my system is screaming.. not in pain though. It's just like AWAKE and won't calm down.. I swear, I hate this illness.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Does anyone ever feel like super agitated/restless or tense? Can feel it all over your body even if you're in a relaxed atmosphere and not under pressure.. I feel like my system is screaming.. not in pain though. It's just like AWAKE and won't calm down.. I swear, I hate this illness.

I become restless in a sense, where I could go on full session cleaning the house and gardens in one day. Anyone else who is well managed, become somewhat anxious?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Laeot

Hello all.
    Christmas can be a lovely time but just remember that if you don't feel festive and full of cheer like 'most' people then you are not alone. It can be hard putting on a front when you are feeling low or empty inside.
    Keep well all...

How do you accept your anxiety? I think it's worse than depression, it's so annoying, it puts a dampener on things. I was playing with my daughter and laughing and having fun, but there was a niggle in my head over something, nothing, I don't know. It's worry about worrying. I let my mind get too worked up about things, thinking I have depersonalisation now.. and I let myself build that worry by reading things and thinking I have all these symptoms.. worry about worry.. I have good days, I can accept them. I am trying to accept the bad days, but it's HARD. I am starting cbt next week. I know looking at the anxiety as a bad thing is the root of my anxiety hahah.. it's just about focusing on the good things

In Paris - feeling much more relaxed

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭phenom

How do you accept your anxiety? I think it's worse than depression, it's so annoying, it puts a dampener on things. I was playing with my daughter and laughing and having fun, but there was a niggle in my head over something, nothing, I don't know. It's worry about worrying. I let my mind get too worked up about things, thinking I have depersonalisation now.. and I let myself build that worry by reading things and thinking I have all these symptoms.. worry about worry.. I have good days, I can accept them. I am trying to accept the bad days, but it's HARD. I am starting cbt next week. I know looking at the anxiety as a bad thing is the root of my anxiety hahah.. it's just about focusing on the good things

No mental health issue is worse than the other my friend. All can lead to very dark places. Its about accepting the situation you are in . Try some techniques to deal with your anxiety .....one that you finds works for you. Its easy to say "try no to worry" but certainly not as easy to put that into practice. I would recommend a 10 minute meditation to start of with, the Headspace app is a great place to start. Also a worry in your head is always going to be 100 times worse than reality. Im sure you look back at certain situations in your life you will realize this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭tomthetank

I think i might be depressed. I have a decent job no money worries an incredible family and noone on the outside would think it possible, but some days I just stay in bed all day. Literally all day. if I have nowhere to be like work and no big commitments and my oh is working and wont be over until later, i will stay in bed until sometimes 6pm and have a big internal argument with myself about being a lazy useless heap of crap for not being able to do anything about it.

I don't think i like myself very much. i live abroad and have few friends here, most of them are back in ireland, and i have pretty much no social life outside of the time i spend with my boyfriend. i am consumed by worries and stresses as i get older too (31) about how i am ever going to move up in life - afford a mortgage, get back to ireland (which has no real job prospects for me), have a family, get my life together. I'm ok financially but basically living the life of a 20 year old, renting a room in some stranger's house and despite saving years away from being able to achieve any of these things.

the problem is there is no room for depression in my life. I have a very mentally unwell sibling 100% dependent on my parents and another sibling who has already gone through depression. i have always been the "Stable" one, the one my ageing parents don't need to worry about, the one who can sort herself out. I've found myself isolating myself from people as a result, it's easier to let people down through lack of contact than to face my issues head on, which i don't feel equipped to do really at the moment. i can't face the reality of being someone with depression. a lot of the time i don't think im depressed and just someone who is excessively selfish and lazy, someone with a victim complex. what's the difference really?

Anyway sorry for the ramble. Today is really the first day I've said (written) it aloud, admitted that there very well may be a problem.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Be proud of posting, no matter what there's always someone here for you. It's very brave to face problems especially when you are in another country, hopefully you'll get some relief from talking more about things, take care..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭Cartouche

I find the title of this thread a bit unfair to be honest
    we dont "All Laugh" at people with depression !

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Cartouche wrote: »

Did you have a read of the opening post at all? No?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭La.de.da

It's really just a little cliche in the title.
    It's a less informal thread set up by the Devore (director of boards). It reaches out to a wide community.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Laeot

It's entirely tongue-in-cheek !
    It's a nice thread to drop in to on occasion and it really demonstrates that one is not alone with this illness...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,117 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

It's laughed at by small minded people where I come from

If someone's going through a hard time acting strange or out of character the reaction from some is to gossip and say things like yer man is acting strange lately or yer man ain't right in the head to they easy option that's taken after somone sadly takes there life by branding them as selfish....

The reality is far too many people have all the answers as regards depression or anxiety and are very quick to judge ...and not so quick to help

Until people's attitude changes sadly the title remains perfect towards the small minded

• Advertisement
Advertisement