Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LETS ALL LAUGH AT PEOPLE WITH DEPRESSION!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Anxiety levels are sky high this week. Had a routine MRI this morning that I've been freaking out over, and they won't let me know the results for 2 weeks +.
    Came into work to hear the words every anxious person ADORES to hear from their boss: "Can we have a sit down later on today?" Can't think of a reason why other than to criticise my performance- which I'll readily admit has suffered of late due to the afforementioned anxiety.

Gaaaaaaaaaaaah :(

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Makapakka

OK so I'm craving sugar, chocolate, whatever.. that high. I've just had a dinner out with work, something I couldn't avoid, and didn't want to, as if I want to have a normal life, these things happen. But it's the "I need something sweet after dinner" setting that's in mode now. I am resisting.. I battle with myself all the time.. right I'm gonna go and get chocolate and start again tomorrow.. no don't do it because you'll regret it.. and on and on
    Thankfully I'm feeling grand strong today. Just trying to get through this week without a proper binge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭benny79

Everyday is an achievement Makapakka and 1 day at a time..

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Lollipops, they tell you 2+ weeks but the truth is that if there is anything wrong they will let you know in a day or two. Having worked in the system before (and while I cant say for sure for your hospital etc)... .what they normally do is give the MRI a cursory once-over and if everything looks normal they put it in the standard processing folder and let it go through the system. If there is something that looks wrong they investigate immediately and would be in contact to get you back in. Of course no one can be sure but in this sort of thing, no news is good news.

I saw something today that said "what we think we become" and I think that is what has happened to me. I knew I over ate n had a problem with food but self diagnosing myself with binge eating disorder I think has magnified the problem n caused many binges that didn't need to happen. I feel sometimes I'm letting myself be powerless towards food.

Question is how can I change this? My mind is much more likely to believe something negative about myself than to believe in the good, thus leading me to believe I have BED.

• Advertisement

Makapakka wrote: »
    I saw something today that said "what we think we become" and I think that is what has happened to me. I knew I over ate n had a problem with food but self diagnosing myself with binge eating disorder I think has magnified the problem n caused many binges that didn't need to happen. I feel sometimes I'm letting myself be powerless towards food.

Question is how can I change this? My mind is much more likely to believe something negative about myself than to believe in the good, thus leading me to believe I have BED.

It's often the case Makka that we use food as an emotional crutch. Do you think this is happening to you?

It's often the case Makka that we use food as an emotional crutch. Do you think this is happening to you?

Most definitely. Sometimes I can catch the emotions and "soothe" them other ways but other times I can't!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Most definitely. Sometimes I can catch the emotions and "soothe" them other ways but other times I can't!

Food is a comfort and a reward for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

The people I know of that got out of a hole did so by resolving to blindly follow the instructions of doctors/psych without question. They knew there was 'something' wrong, whether ye label it something or the other, getting better means first seeing someone, and second doing what they say. Everything else is going to leave you where are you are now, a little more contorted by thought. My point is, the resolve and commitment to the act is the most important thing. The worst part is that the reason most people cant get there is they think they have to be 'ready' and you never will be.

It's a very tricky issue to overcome. I wonder what it is that happens for you during the times you can't self-soothe? You need to start tackling the underlying reasons for how you feel Makka. Why such overwhelming emotions exist for you in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭candycock

This is my second nite of being in hospital,it's abit scary but I had to do it before I ended my own life,I'm on ciproglam and Librium,I went to hang myself Sunday but got caught,so I'm in now I'm safer and I resting and away from alcohol.hopefully brighter days will come.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭failinis

I am glad you are in a safe space now candycock, sometimes you need to be supported by others.

candycock wrote: »
    This is my second nite of being in hospital,it's abit scary but I had to do it before I ended my own life,I'm on ciproglam and Librium,I went to hang myself Sunday but got caught,so I'm in now I'm safer and I resting and away from alcohol.hopefully brighter days will come.

Look after yourself Candy. Life is painful right now but keep putting one foot in front of the other. You'll get there x

Feeling really emotional today, letting my emotions get the better of me. Feeling panicky over my eating habits. They just make me miserable. I just want this craving to stop. The fact I'm craving stuff emotionally makes me wonder am I faking it all.. how can I crave something all the freaking time and think I'm doing OK.. feeling OK.. act happy.. what is going on? Because I have been happy, having fun and all that.. but this thing with food.. junk food.
    I hate it. I want it to STOP. Now. I need a quick fix or else I'm gonna get diabetes or cancer or have a heart attack. I don't want to do that to my daughter. Is it creeping back on me under an invisible cloak? I don't know what to do any more. I've told my mum but I don't want to tell her the extent because she already worries so much about me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭La.de.da

Feeling really emotional today, letting my emotions get the better of me. Feeling panicky over my eating habits. They just make me miserable. I just want this craving to stop. The fact I'm craving stuff emotionally makes me wonder am I faking it all.. how can I crave something all the freaking time and think I'm doing OK.. feeling OK.. act happy.. what is going on? Because I have been happy, having fun and all that.. but this thing with food.. junk food.
    I hate it. I want it to STOP. Now. I need a quick fix or else I'm gonna get diabetes or cancer or have a heart attack. I don't want to do that to my daughter. Is it creeping back on me under an invisible cloak? I don't know what to do any more. I've told my mum but I don't want to tell her the extent because she already worries so much about me.

The connection with food and emotions is incredibly strong. One I deeply struggle with myself maka. As long as I know there's chocolate in the press it gives me comfort. It's my go too when I'm up in a heap.
    Food is my crutch my friend when times are rough. Makes me happy whilst eating and miserable afterwards. It's like a never ending circle.

What I've done is try have healthier versions available for example ill have dark chocolate cause I can't physically eat the same amount as milk. Low fat crisps etc. And bottles and bottles of water to fill me.

It's the one thing I can't break.

The thing is after a bad day or few hours eating not to try beat yourself up too much. Say 'that's happened now. It's over and try eat healthier for the next while.

It's fcukin hard. I know. Sorry for the long post. Just so you know your not alone like that x

EDIT: your G.P might be able to help. Or if there are any OA (overeaters anonymous) in your area.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Doc wants me to stay on my dosage for another few months, was hoping to come down a bit but she thinks with the job situation and my mother in hospital its best to wait until spring, though in relation to my job I may have a new role soon....fingers crossed I will and I can finally relax a bit more.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

I feel like iv lost the ability to enjoy something. I enjoy nothing anymore.

The rare night i go out with my 2 only "friends" ....i just cant enjoy anything. Its like im on a consent no emotion phase....im too young, im wasting my life feeling this way. And my bother is a nasty pig to me for no god solid reason.

Im so lost. I have no one, not even to lean on.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I can empathise, I get periods like that... periods when I know intellectually I should be loving something, or at least feeling "joy" but instead I seem to be on auto-pilot. Makes me feel hollow.

I find I have to kinda jump-start myself and do something pretty left-field. Do something out of the routine, something either new that you've been meaning to do try for a while or something you haven't done in a while and you know you like.

BUT... when you do it, completely commit to the moment. No analysing yourself and checking to see if you are enjoying it, connect completely with the moment in a sort of "to hell with the lot if ye, I'm going to give this a shot" sort of attitude. If you are checking yourself to see if you are enjoying it, you wont. Because you wont be doing X (the thing you might enjoy) you will be doing "checking myself to see if I'm enjoying something". Which isn't enjoyable. :)
    This works for me sometimes, a lot of the time in fact, but afterwards I have to ride that wave or I go right back where I was.

What age are you and what age is your brother? (sorry to be nosey but it matters I guess).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

It's been a while since i posted in here but i'm doing arguably worse than ever. Had another medication change (back to Sertraline with a higher dosage and beta-blockers instead of xanax for my panic disorder) so that's taking a bit of getting used-to and the side-affects seem a bit more noticeable this time around.

A few days ago a video came out online. A trailer for Planet Earth 2.

No matter how low you are feeling, how bleak things look or how lonely you are.....i really strongly recommend watching this.

I watch it a couple of times a day. The Hans Zimmer composed music is overlayed on breathtaking footage of life on our planet.

Give it a go. Life is pretty beautiful. Things will get better. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Having a really, really rough time of it lately. I've come to the conclusion that I have to change job for the sake of my mental health; I'm litetally shaking every time I walk through the door in the morning. I know I'm bad at the job, and last night I found an ad for my role on LinkedIn, so I'm guessing they know I'm bad at it too. I feel sick all the time.

I hate this, just when things were starting to go well in my personal life, my professional life goes up in flames.

• Advertisement

I have always struggled with the depression aspect of my bipolar. Mania is well controlled with just the occasional and short lived hypomania episodes.
    For over a year now I have been fortunate to have a friend who I can talk to and who completely understands me as we both have bipolar.
    I came to the conclusion in conjunction with my friend and my family that my version of being normal over the last few years is in fact very abnormal. The kids always know they can find me in or on the bed. It can take from a couple of days to a couple of weeks to start or finish simple tasks. I am generally lacking in emotions except the self-absorbing emotions when feeling low. Trouble is everyone including myself have adapted to this version of me. Only my friend was able to push me into understanding how abnormal it really was and that I needed to do something about it.
    Anyway I went to my GP today and discussed a major change in my medication. Am staying on my antpsychotic (always feels odd saying I take an antpsychotic) but steering clear of the SSRIs, SNRIs and Tricyclics, and starting a different type of Anti-depressant. The hope being that it will reduce my never ending fatigue and lack of emotion which are at the core of my depression.
    So the next month might be tough with withdrawal (gradual) of my SSRI and starting my new med.
    Am kinda writing this post so I can read it again over the next month if things get bad to remind me why I took this action and that I need to give myself time for the meds to stabilise.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 470 ✭✭Joe Musashi

I am a very bad depressive. The only enjoyment I get out of a day is 5/10 seconds when I wake up and don't realise where it is I am, but then the constant sense of misery sets back in.

I do take antidepressants and have tried a number of different types in varying doses but nothing seems to have helped me thus far. The most debilitating part is the constant feeling of fatigure and tiredness. Over the weekend, on one day I slept for 8-9 hours, woke up, felt exhausted but kept awake for another 6 hours and then went back to sleep for another 8 hours after that. I do not understand why it is that I feel tired all the time, but that feeling, and the thought of not being able to do get anything done or do the basic things in life like feeding yourself adequately brings me to the edge, honestly. I know there are people with things way worse then me but I just feel incapable of leading a normal, healthy life and developing the social relationships that others have. I live in almost complete isolation at this point. I have almost no interpersonal skills, I do not know how to approach or interact with people most days but then there are very rare occasions where I feel able to approach anyone in the room and make a really good impressio

I have been able to get away with being this depressed thus far mainly due to being a student. If I miss a day nobody notices or cares very much. If I was in a permanent job and felt this way I am not sure I would be able to manage.

I have started drinking heavily in the last few weeks. Last weekend I had a particularly bad/ dangerous weekend where I drank a lot of vodka (alone, of course), went out at around 2:30 and fell asleep on a park bench in the city centre for 2 and a half to 3 hours. Nothing happened to me, thank God, but a couple of days on I really feel like things are going out of control and getting much worse. For some people that may be a laugh amongst friends but for me it was more a sign of how things are deteriorating. I am not ordinarly I heavy drinker and have only been drunk maybe 4 times in my entire life by the way. I have started drinking by choice as it seems to be the only way to get me up, give me energy and get me going. Alcohol seems to remove that constant feeling of lethargy I have for a few hours at least.

I should have probably written this post anonymously given that there a few people on here who know me in real life, but **** it I have nothing to be ashamed of. I am depressed, alone, miserable, feel incapable of doing the basics, I am isolated from other people I may something in common with (Irish abroad etc) and I feel like things cannot get much worse for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I am a very bad depressive. The only enjoyment I get out of a day is 5/10 seconds when I wake up and don't realise where it is I am, but then the constant sense of misery sets back in.

I do take antidepressants and have tried a number of different types in varying doses but nothing seems to have helped me thus far. The most debilitating part is the constant feeling of fatigure and tiredness. Over the weekend, on one day I slept for 8-9 hours, woke up, felt exhausted but kept awake for another 6 hours and then went back to sleep for another 8 hours after that. I do not understand why it is that I feel tired all the time, but that feeling, and the thought of not being able to do get anything done or do the basic things in life like feeding yourself adequately brings me to the edge, honestly. I know there are people with things way worse then me but I just feel incapable of leading a normal, healthy life and developing the social relationships that others have. I live in almost complete isolation at this point. I have almost no interpersonal skills, I do not know how to approach or interact with people most days but then there are very rare occasions where I feel able to approach anyone in the room and make a really good impressio

I have been able to get away with being this depressed thus far mainly due to being a student. If I miss a day nobody notices or cares very much. If I was in a permanent job and felt this way I am not sure I would be able to manage.

I have started drinking heavily in the last few weeks. Last weekend I had a particularly bad/ dangerous weekend where I drank a lot of vodka (alone, of course), went out at around 2:30 and fell asleep on a park bench in the city centre for 2 and a half to 3 hours. Nothing happened to me, thank God, but a couple of days on I really feel like things are going out of control and getting much worse. For some people that may be a laugh amongst friends but for me it was more a sign of how things are deteriorating. I am not ordinarly I heavy drinker and have only been drunk maybe 4 times in my entire life by the way. I have started drinking by choice as it seems to be the only way to get me up, give me energy and get me going. Alcohol seems to remove that constant feeling of lethargy I have for a few hours at least.

I should have probably written this post anonymously given that there a few people on here who know me in real life, but **** it I have nothing to be ashamed of. I am depressed, alone, miserable, feel incapable of doing the basics, I am isolated from other people I may something in common with (Irish abroad etc) and I feel like things cannot get much worse for me.

I used to hate waking up. That was assuming to got any sleep (I had terrible insomnia at one time). Many a time I would go on a bender or take some tablets while drinking geniunley wishing I wouldn't wake up.

I used to think that my life was worthless, that I was a waste of space and that my life would never change. That there might be a solution to everybody on this planet. . . But it would somehow not work on me.

There was a time I was on anti depressants, sleeping tablets, zanex and still having a few drinks each week. My nerves were shattered (terrible anxiety) and I was constantly depressed to the point where I felt I couldn't go outside my house or do my job because I dreaded interacting with people.

I am typing this from an Applegreen garage. Spent the last hour and half doing some work on my laptop for a client of mine and after I type this I am going to a specific support group that I frequent weekly.

I only take a low dosage of a medication to help me sleep, don't drink, lost weight, get regular exercise, attend support groups, goto therapy when I need it and have a relationship with friends/family that I never imagined I could have.

Sharing my feelings on this thread really helped but to be frank I could only take really small bits in at the start because my mind was racing. It was also wired to always presume the worst and expect disappointment. In a way I was more comfortable with sadness/anxiety and expecting the worst, then I was with actually enjoying any snippet of happiness that I might be lucky to get any given day.

Taking action and steps was where it really started for me. Talking and thinking about my situation was only one stage of my recovery from the depths of despair to a really happy meaningful, peaceful life.

I lost my dad in march and there was a time when I never could of imagined being able to deal with that tragedy. It still hurts today but I have learned to much better deal with the knocks in life.

Going to CBT group (Aware do group sessions, I found them great), really helped. Confiding in my doctor (hes a good doctor) helped. Going to therapy helped. Talking with friends family helped. I learned that some friends/family are better at support then others, but that doesn't mean that the ones who don't support me don't care. They may just not know what to do or say.

If you feel isolated, by posting here you are reaching out and taking action to try and change that situation. I know what turning to alcohol did for me and I wouldn't wish it on anybody. Its scary because I got lost in the kind of world you are talking about and the saddest thing is that I was the last person to figure out what my problem was. But, I got help, support and listened to professional advice.

My ego and lack of humility prevented me from changing and learning new ways of living. The old "I know better" or "I don't like that " used to suppress my growth. Letting go of what I thought and believed and learning a new way of living and thinking has made my life unrecognizable from what it was 5 years ago. On paper the material things and physical things are the same (I didn't become rich) but emotionally I have a life beyond my wildest dreams.

PM me if you would like to talk one to one, otherwise keep posting here if you get something positive from it. Life is hard enough with support, but without any help, I know the depths of despair that used to haunt me. It took so much from me, including time I wont get back with my children or dad. You are still young and can turn things around because you have quickly identified a problem. Its not easy Joe, if it was everybody would be happy, but I believe if I can turn things around , people who have suffered like me can do it aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

I was site-banned on Boards for sending a troll an abusive PM. A couple of hours later i was un-banned and given a 2nd chance in the Prison Appeal Forum. It's very much an excuse but i stopped my 100mg of Sertraline cold turkey recently and it's been a pretty bad decision by me - i've been going through really bad dizzy spells, shaking spells and insomnia. If i get 2 hours solid sleep a night i've done well.

What that very brief episode made me realize is how important the community i feel part of (Boards.ie) is to me. That even the prospect of a 2-week ban made me feel very anxious. Afraid even. When i'm awake at 4am struggling, i find this site to be a tremendous comfort.

I've never met most of the people i interact with on Boards and i don't know their names, yet in my mind they're the closest thing to an outlet and escape i have from how i'm feeling.

I used to post in this thread almost daily until i drifted away from here.

I just want to extend this offer to every single person reading this thread and anybody who is suffering - My inbox is always open. You don't know my name, where i'm from or how i'm feeling but if you're struggling and want to talk at any time day or night, my inbox is open to you.

I stopped my tablets completely last Saturday. I don't want to be on them. I started a new food programme to get my body producing it's own serotonin but I guess I came off then too early. Yesterday and today have been really downers. No energy, low mood. I've had moments of ok-ness, but when I get time to think, my brain starts the downward spiral. I don't want to go back on my meds. I was strong enough to get off them last year, and nothing in my circumstances are making me feel low, it's just my head. Hormonal imbalance perhaps. I just want to feel happy most days and strong enough to deal with my off days. To know I'll come back again. But right now I'm scared I'll sink lower, my anxiety will flare up. The woman who gave me the new food programme was a nutritionist and she said my body was very wound up from food intolerences and stress and I just want to make it better. I wish I could just click my fingers and be in a better mood. I even went to my favourite dance class and it did nothing for me. I feel like crying. I want to cry to let it out. Bur the tears won't come.

I stopped my tablets completely last Saturday. I don't want to be on them. I started a new food programme to get my body producing it's own serotonin but I guess I came off then too early. Yesterday and today have been really downers. No energy, low mood. I've had moments of ok-ness, but when I get time to think, my brain starts the downward spiral. I don't want to go back on my meds. I was strong enough to get off them last year, and nothing in my circumstances are making me feel low, it's just my head. Hormonal imbalance perhaps. I just want to feel happy most days and strong enough to deal with my off days. To know I'll come back again. But right now I'm scared I'll sink lower, my anxiety will flare up. The woman who gave me the new food programme was a nutritionist and she said my body was very wound up from food intolerences and stress and I just want to make it better. I wish I could just click my fingers and be in a better mood. I even went to my favourite dance class and it did nothing for me. I feel like crying. I want to cry to let it out. Bur the tears won't come.

It's really important to wean off psychotropic medication Makka. A sudden stoppage can leave you with the same symptoms you were trying to battle in the first place. I would go to your doctor and see what he/she advises.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

I have always struggled with the depression aspect of my bipolar. Mania is well controlled with just the occasional and short lived hypomania episodes.
    For over a year now I have been fortunate to have a friend who I can talk to and who completely understands me as we both have bipolar.
    I came to the conclusion in conjunction with my friend and my family that my version of being normal over the last few years is in fact very abnormal. The kids always know they can find me in or on the bed. It can take from a couple of days to a couple of weeks to start or finish simple tasks. I am generally lacking in emotions except the self-absorbing emotions when feeling low. Trouble is everyone including myself have adapted to this version of me. Only my friend was able to push me into understanding how abnormal it really was and that I needed to do something about it.
    Anyway I went to my GP today and discussed a major change in my medication. Am staying on my antpsychotic (always feels odd saying I take an antpsychotic) but steering clear of the SSRIs, SNRIs and Tricyclics, and starting a different type of Anti-depressant. The hope being that it will reduce my never ending fatigue and lack of emotion which are at the core of my depression.
    So the next month might be tough with withdrawal (gradual) of my SSRI and starting my new med.
    Am kinda writing this post so I can read it again over the next month if things get bad to remind me why I took this action and that I need to give myself time for the meds to stabilise.

Could have been me that posted this. Same story. I go hypomanic on most anti depressants. I have found a bit of peace with 1000mg lithium and 300mg lyrica.

It's really important to wean off psychotropic medication Makka. A sudden stoppage can leave you with the same symptoms you were trying to battle in the first place. I would go to your doctor and see what he/she advises.

I hadn't been taking them regularly, so it was kind of a wean off them.. I was taking them for a few days then I'd forget for a few days then another few days and it'd go on and on so that wasn't good for my system either

I hadn't been taking them regularly, so it was kind of a wean off them.. I was taking them for a few days then I'd forget for a few days then another few days and it'd go on and on so that wasn't good for my system either

It really wasn't. I think there needs to be more awareness about the importance of those types of drugs, how they can impact upon you if not taken correctly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Big day in work tomorrow, but I'm prepared well and actually looking forward to it

Advertisement