Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

LETS ALL LAUGH AT PEOPLE WITH DEPRESSION!!

Comments

FortySeven wrote: »
    Could have been me that posted this. Same story. I go hypomanic on most anti depressants. I have found a bit of peace with 1000mg lithium and 300mg lyrica.

It's been a tough few weeks. Insomnia has been ever present. I am lucky to get more than 2 hours sleep.
    Since my meds change, there has been one life changing difference. After years of incessant fatigue, I find that I am awake all day long, without the need to go lie down for a nap. This is despite the insomnia.
    A few thing that are not pleasant and have not subsided is agitation and anger. I can not get rid of it. It may well be due to the interaction between my antipsychotic and the new anti-depressant. I will have to discuss this with my doctor.
    Another 2 weeks before I go see my doctor. I hope that the insomnia and being wide awake all day, does not end up in a payback situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

mansize wrote: »
    Big day in work tomorrow, but I'm prepared well and actually looking forward to it

Today went well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

Been v anxious the last few days, the loniness Im gong through.doesn't help....Im so scared of the future. Im scared of people Im scared of life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Been v anxious the last few days, the loniness Im gong through.doesn't help....Im so scared of the future. Im scared of people Im scared of life

Hope things look up soon

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Makapakka

Feeling low again. I just want to be happy. Satisfied. I am thinking.. where is my life going? Is this all I have to do to live for the next 50 years and then die? I have my daughter and it scares me so much to think about leaving her or her leaving me. Argh my mind can't seem to stop the bad thoughts when I come off the meds but I don't want to be on them. I feel like I'm living, constantly thinking of the next step.. when I get a better wage, when I'm skinny, when I'm healthy, when I've my own place, when when when.. it's a constant thought in my head. Just can never live in the here and now. I'm always worrying about something. I've a doc app on Friday so I'll talk about my meds then. I feel quite alone though because i stopped seeing my therapist too.

It is coming up to my time of the month too so that could be the dip in mood.

I go from feeling quite positive to feeling quite low a lot. Not manically, just tiredness comes upon me to stop the positivity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I just like this guy more and more every time I see him. Fair dues!!

http://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2016/1117/832329-al-porter-reveals-stigma-of-depression/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

ongarboy wrote: »
    I just like this guy more and more every time I see him. Fair dues!!

http://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2016/1117/832329-al-porter-reveals-stigma-of-depression/

Thought it was one of the bravest things i ever seen anyone do on live tv. Fair play to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

I can hugely relate, SAC. Just don't know where to turn anymore.

I get scared too Hugo. Such fragile creatures us humans. Sometimes there isn't anywhere to turn. Sure there may be people who care and who will listen but you can still be left feeling alone and not fully understood.

There is one person who will never ever let you down and that's yourself. Know who you are, learn to own all parts of you. Don't distract from how you feel. Take your meds properly (if any) but remember the hard work is ultimately down to you. If you can manage to get to that place then the fear won't overwhelm as much nor will the loneliness.

x.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

I get scared too Hugo. Such fragile creatures us humans. Sometimes there isn't anywhere to turn. Sure there may be people who care and who will listen but you can still be left feeling alone and not fully understood.

There is one person who will never ever let you down and that's yourself. Know who you are, learn to own all parts of you. Don't distract from how you feel. Take your meds properly (if any) but remember the hard work is ultimately down to you. If you can manage to get to that place then the fear won't overwhelm as much nor will the loneliness.

x.

Thanks, P. x

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,754 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

feel a bit depressed as im 27 and still single. been single since 2013 didnt have a date since then or been with a girl. I fear i still will be single by the time im 33

I want to explore online dating but have been hearing bad things

My ambitions is too get a factory or steady job (full time 5 days a week etc), get married and have kids.

I was diagonsed to be on the Austism Spec (slight Aspergers) back in 2013 which affected my previous relationship id say (social issues etc) but i knw the issues ill face and hopefully i can manage that in my next relationship (if theres is one)

any advice ??

PTH2009 wrote: »
    feel a bit depressed as im 27 and still single. been single since 2013 didnt have a date since then or been with a girl. I fear i still will be single by the time im 33

My ambitions is too get a factory or steady job (full time 5 days a week etc), get married and have kids.

I was diagonsed to be on the Austism Spec (slight Aspergers) back in 2013 which affected my previous relationship id say (social issues etc) but i knw the issues ill face and hopefully i can manage that in my next relationship (if theres is one)

any advice ??

I'm 27 and have been single for almost two years. I have a young child too which makes it hard to meet someone. I do get lonely and want to meet someone but I'm waiting until the time is right. I left my last relationship because the person wasn't right for me and I'm not gonna settle. Try not to let it consume you, continue doing things you love and I believe that the right person will come along when the time is right!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

PTH2009 wrote: »

any advice ??

I know it may mean nothing but i wouldn't give up hope of finding someone and the online dating thing can work it is how i met the person im with now. Once you filter out the idiots then there a good people on there that may feel how you feel so its worth a shot. Get to messaging someone and see how it goes and before you know it things could change in what appears an instant. Go into it with an open mind and you never know who you may meet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭La.de.da

I second what makka said. Don't get too hung up or obsessed with looking for a relationship. Focus on yourself for a while. Find out who you are.

I'm 32 single 3ish years and I've no intention of changing that for anyone not deserving of my time love and heart.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 161 ✭✭OCEANIC FIZZY POP NINE

Low cost registered counselling options midland region? Whats available?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

This is a good list... I dunno about low cost but most counsellors are open to discussing costs.

http://www.counsellingdirectory.ie/

DeVore wrote: »
    This is a good list... I dunno about low cost but most counsellors are open to discussing costs.

http://www.counsellingdirectory.ie/

Also www.iahip.ie and www.iacp.ie. They are the two regulatory bodies and have a list of fully accredited and trained therapists. Fees can be negotiable but if going to a private practice then most will be a minimum of €50. Therapists have a lot of overheads I imagine.

There are counselling centres which offer as low as €20 for the unemployed but I'm not aware of any in the midlands.

Counselling can be invaluable for some people with mental illness. I know I spent a year in it when I was going through a bad time in my early 20s.
    I really don't understand why counselling is not made available (without several months waiting time) for those that need it. Even if it saved one life it would be worth it. I imagine it would save a lot more than 1 life in Ireland.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

And save the country a bag load of money in the process... an ounce of prevention being worth a pound of cure and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Should the media not shy away from the word 'suicide', read the sad article about Claire McSorley and all the references were to her sudden death. I know it's good to be sensitive but is wearing kid gloves helpful?

• Advertisement

cloudatlas wrote: »
    Should the media not shy away from the word 'suicide', read the sad article about Claire McSorley and all the references were to her sudden death. I know it's good to be sensitive but is wearing kid gloves helpful?

So very sad. I believe the media should be more forthcoming when it comes to suicide. Kid gloves will drive it further in to the realm of "shh don't talk about such things". Now I'm open to taking a different view because it's a subject which is complex and difficult. I'd be interested in hearing other opinions on it.

So very sad. I believe the media should be more forthcoming when it comes to suicide. Kid gloves will drive it further in to the realm of "shh don't talk about such things". Now I'm open to taking a different view because it's a subject which is complex and difficult. I'd be interested in hearing other opinions on it.

Totally agree that it should be reported more in the media and not shoved under the carpet.
    I know that people are concerned about the media reporting suicide and the effect it can have on the family. Is it that much different than the reporting of fatal car accidents where drivers are at fault of killing someone. No one worries about the impact those reports have on families.
    No need for the media to mention names, give it the same level of coverage that car accidents get.
    If it was on TV everyday, it would not be long until there was an outcry about it.

I am feeling really sad today. I "follow" Facebook pages of kids who have cancer and a lot of them have passed away recently, and I feel like I'm.. grieving or something, even though I don't know any of them. I then start thinking about my own parents deaths (that have yet to happen), or what if my daughter got cancer, or I did and had to leave her behind. I just can't stop thinking these things. And I was feeling great last week. And then I got sick, and that led to feelings of sadness and weakness.. I don't know if I should go back to counselling. It's like I'm only realising that when people die, they're gone, forever. I know this is so morbid. I was fine last week? And now I'm not. And I'm giving out to myself that I'm not. How do you accept the bad days as bad days and move on? I hate feeling low.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,103 ✭✭✭benny79

Makapakka wrote: »
    I am feeling really sad today. I "follow" Facebook pages of kids who have cancer and a lot of them have passed away recently, and I feel like I'm.. grieving or something, even though I don't know any of them. I then start thinking about my own parents deaths (that have yet to happen), or what if my daughter got cancer, or I did and had to leave her behind. I just can't stop thinking these things. And I was feeling great last week. And then I got sick, and that led to feelings of sadness and weakness.. I don't know if I should go back to counselling. It's like I'm only realising that when people die, they're gone, forever. I know this is so morbid. I was fine last week? And now I'm not. And I'm giving out to myself that I'm not. How do you accept the bad days as bad days and move on? I hate feeling low.

I know this is very obvious but I would stop following them pages straight away.. Have a mantra mine is "life is good, life is great, all goods things happen to me" I say it a couple of times a day out loud.. and go back to counselling even once a month I find it great!The mantra was actually my counselors idea ;):

I will probably go back on medication. I don't want to feel this way any more. And I can't deal with the highs and lows. It's not fair on my daughter, or myself. I hate that I feel like a failure for going back on them, I literally feel anxiety because of my thoughts about taking the meds. I just feel like I'm the only one in the world who feels like this, when I KNOW that everyone has their own issues. It's just the fact it could be like this for my life. I'm scared.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,103 ✭✭✭benny79

Hi Maka why dont you go back to counselling before you decide on going on meds ..I found this worked wonders for me and really helped me when I was in a very bad place..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

I've been so tempted to take the Sertraline my neurologist prescribed. I did some research though and a lot of people said it made their anxiety worse?? That's the thing I want to treat!!

Does anyone ever feel like super agitated/restless or tense? Can feel it all over your body even if you're in a relaxed atmosphere and not under pressure.. I feel like my system is screaming.. not in pain though. It's just like AWAKE and won't calm down.. I swear, I hate this illness.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Makapakka wrote: »
    Does anyone ever feel like super agitated/restless or tense? Can feel it all over your body even if you're in a relaxed atmosphere and not under pressure.. I feel like my system is screaming.. not in pain though. It's just like AWAKE and won't calm down.. I swear, I hate this illness.

I become restless in a sense, where I could go on full session cleaning the house and gardens in one day. Anyone else who is well managed, become somewhat anxious?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Laeot

Hello all.
    Christmas can be a lovely time but just remember that if you don't feel festive and full of cheer like 'most' people then you are not alone. It can be hard putting on a front when you are feeling low or empty inside.
    Keep well all...

Advertisement