Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tv Licence Letter.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    If you have a tv and just watch DVDs and stuff off the hard drive do you need a licence?

Yes. If you have a tv you must have a tv licence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭The Raptor

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    If you have a tv and just watch DVDs and stuff off the hard drive do you need a licence?

Apparently so because it can receive a signal. Just having a TV that can pick up the signal means you have to have a TV licence. It's stupid.

What if you have an old fashioned TV where you can't pick up a signal because everything went digital and you need a saorview box? What if you don't have a saorview box?

The Raptor wrote: »
    Apparently so because it can receive a signal. Just having a TV that can pick up the signal means you have to have a TV licence. It's stupid.

What if you have an old fashioned TV where you can't pick up a signal because everything went digital and you need a saorview box? What if you don't have a saorview box?

you still need to tv licence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Advbrd

How do you not have a bank account?

Bertie?

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Atari Jaguar

The Raptor wrote: »

You still need it because it's capable of receiving saeorview should you decide to buy a box.

You can cut out the aerial port on your TV but then you can get a Sky box so you need a licence

Funnily enough, I could have a sky box and PC monitor connected with HDMI, I wonder if I then need a licence.

• Advertisement

You still need it because it's capable of receiving saeorview should you decide to buy a box.

You can cut out the aerial port on your TV but then you can get a Sky box so you need a licence

Funnily enough, I could have a sky box and PC monitor connected with HDMI, I wonder if I then need a licence.

yes. The sky box and monitor would count. It would be an interesting one to argue before a judge.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Atari Jaguar

mansize wrote: »
    yes. The sky box and monitor would count. It would be an interesting one to argue before a judge.

Very much so.

Considering that PC monitor doesn't actually receive a signal it's the box that retrieves the signals. By that logic it should be an aerial, cable and sat licence. Mind you, if you were on Vodafone or Eir TV, you could just hide the box in the attic if you got a knock at the door from a licence inspector and then phone and say TV? I don't have one.

IPTV has no dishes or anything. Sure technically virgin media is the same just put the box up somewhere. Obviously Sky uses the big dish but same again just say it was there when you moved in. I don't think they have any jurisdiction to ask for bills to prove it.

One thing that should be amended is if a landlord supplies a TV to a tenant it should be the landlord paying the license. If I move into a house with a TV there and don't have a bit of interest in watching (or in my case it was an old portable with no chance of getting signal anyway) I shouldn't have to foot the bill and I don't imagine landlords would be happy for their TV to be thrown out or they wouldn't be willing to take it back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭Oodoov

The fine is unlikely to be that high. Why cant you get a licence? They are not that expensive tbf

Since when isnt 160 quid expensive?

If it wasnt expensive say circa 30 euro i'd consider paying it but 160 for a load of complete s h it? No thanks

Oodoov wrote: »
    Since when isnt 160 quid expensive?

If it wasnt expensive say circa 30 euro i'd consider paying it but 160 for a load of complete s h it? No thanks

€160 is about €13 a month- that's not expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

You should get a free bank account OP. There are loads of them that don't charge fees. And how are you paying your bills? Because most suppliers will give you a few quid off if you sign up to pay by DD. It sounds like that few quid would go to good use in your house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭smjm

As my Dad always used to say: it's a lot of money if you haven't got it!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Micky8728 wrote: »
    Never wstch the TV myself. My son watchs rte junior sometimes.. Just dont want to recieve a summons and then 1000 fine
    Then the kid should pay the fines.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭Nollog

By netflix standards rte should be 4k then :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

Hi. Received a letter this morning in post from Tv Licence crowd. Pretty much saying an inspector visted recently and we werent there. Then says "further action will be taken unless a Licence is purchased immediately".Should I be worried? Really cant afford it atm. And dont have abank account to do it by direct debit.

If they haven't your name then ignore it. And if you ever do answer the door to any of these morons then DO not, I repeat DO not give them your name or sign anything.

Say you are just working at the house and ask them if they want their drive tarmaced boss, along with saying you have some very reasonably priced power tools and saucepans for sale if they are interested. They won't return.

Being from Norn Iron I have no idea what sort of ****e RTe puts on but if it's anything like the BBC then I'm not surprised you don't want to pay it. The Brixton Broadcasting Corporation is a cabal of out of touch leftie luuvie types that would find it extremely hard to get a wage packet if it wasn't for the legalised extortion that is the TV license.

Letter was addressed to myself. Closed my bank account months back because i never used it and I kept getting charged fees. Thr bills are piling up this month. This is the last thing i needed:-(
    Ask a relative or friend to store the tv for you until you're able to afford the licence. In the meantime, tell your youngster it's broken, or in for repairs, or that someone borrowed it. Not easy, especially heading towards Christmas, but it's better than the fear of the courts. I hope your situation improves soon. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭mailforkev

How do you manage without a bank account?

The savings you'd receive by paying all your utility bills by direct debit via a bank account would probably nearly cover the €13 a month for the tv licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,089 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Sell the tv.
    Get a computer, if youve not already gotten one, doesnt need to be something crazy expensive.
    Stream everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 GiantTcr

Hi. Received a letter this morning in post from Tv Licence crowd. Pretty much saying an inspector visted recently and we werent there. Then says "further action will be taken unless a Licence is purchased immediately".Should I be worried? Really cant afford it atm. And dont have abank account to do it by direct debit.

If you live in a house, you should. Living in an apartment, it's normally easier to get away with. I closed the door in the face of the license inspector and was then sent another letter from "J. Brady" saying they will come back with the gardai and seize the TV so I paid up. You can file the letter away in the green bin, but they will eventually get the money out of you. You can arrange a payment scheme with the post office if you are short on cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 GiantTcr

timthumbni wrote: »
    If they haven't your name then ignore it. And if you ever do answer the door to any of these morons then DO not, I repeat DO not give them your name or sign anything.

Yeah a long time ago in Bethlehem. This no longer works. I never gave my name when they were at the door, nor when I finally paid up. They can and will return with the Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,035 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

I guess you never activated your bank card after all.

http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057564887/1#post98835167

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,417 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Don't pay it get your fine don't pay that go to prison for a few hours to clear the fine simples then repeat every year.

Or pay it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

As I've said before, the manner in which people are pursued over the tv license is a reflection of the relationship between RTE and Sean na Bhlogina citizen

As I've said before, the manner in which people are pursued over the tv license is a reflection of the relationship between RTE and Sean na Bhlogina citizen

If the TV licence collection is privatised and G4S take over you'll know all about ruthlessness

• Registered Users Posts: 28,949 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

mansize wrote:
    If the TV licence collection is privatised and G4S take over you'll know all about ruthlessness

Me loves neoliberalism!

I guess you never activated your bank card after all.

http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057564887/1#post98835167
    The OP said they closed their account a few months back
    Letter was addressed to myself. Closed my bank account months back because i never used it and I kept getting charged fees. Thr bills are piling up this month. This is the last thing i needed:-

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

If we're privatising why not go the whole hog? I'm sure the stars in Montrose will keep getting the big bucks

• Registered Users Posts: 28,949 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

If we're privatising why not go the whole hog? I'm sure the stars in Montrose will keep getting the big bucks

They might actually, privatisation isn't as amazing as you d think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

1) Adopt an elderly person

2) Sign your house/lease over to them

3) Free TV licence

• Registered Users Posts: 28,739 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

mailforkev wrote: »
    How do you manage without a bank account?

The savings you'd receive by paying all your utility bills by direct debit via a bank account would probably nearly cover the €13 a month for the tv licence.

Just on the DD angle... I have found Irish companies (Bord Gais, Meteor/Eircom, Vodafone to name the bigger ones) shockingly poor when it comes to DD management.

When they inevitably and frequently screw-up it takes weeks of chasing them to sort it out, generally only refunded by "credit on your next bill"

As a result I only allow DD access by bills of a fixed known amount (eg: Sky). The rest I pay myself through the Mybills site. A little more hassle for me, but at least I control what's being taken from my account.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

GiantTcr wrote: »
    If you live in a house, you should. Living in an apartment, it's normally easier to get away with. I closed the door in the face of the license inspector and was then sent another letter from "J. Brady" saying they will come back with the gardai and seize the TV so I paid up. You can file the letter away in the green bin, but they will eventually get the money out of you. You can arrange a payment scheme with the post office if you are short on cash.

They will seize the TV????? What TV? How did they know you have a TV. They sent you a letter saying they would come around with the Gardai. Do you really think without a name and without definite knowledge you even had a TV the gardai would send 2 0f their top detectives around to your door. Would they have a warrant? Whose name would the warrant be against? Maybe it's different down there but you would think that the gardai would have more important things to do.

Threatening letters are just letters. If they haven't your name and they cannot say for sure you have a TV then said letters should be filed in the bin. You caved in to these threatening letters as most do. That's how they work. Once you pay and they have your name then they have you for life.

Advertisement