Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tv Licence Letter.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Sillybillyx

Micky8728 wrote: »
    Hi. Received a letter this morning in post from Tv Licence crowd. Pretty much saying an inspector visted recently and we werent there. Then says "further action will be taken unless a Licence is purchased immediately".Should I be worried? Really cant afford it atm. And dont have abank account to do it by direct debit.

Tv licence resistance Ireland, it's a Facebook group join it and will assure you you will never pay a TVs licence again, I stopped paying it years ago go have a read there you'll understand it better, even had a court appearance and won

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Atari Jaguar

What if I put my foot through it? Right there and then, infront of the inspector :D

You still didn't have a licence up to that moment which you're liable for

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Only looked into this thread to see if someone would post this:

https://youtu.be/k5CeDPnM00Y?t=21s

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

GM228 wrote: »
    You can't remove an implied right because it dosn't apply, the inspector has a lawful right and you can't use "reasonal force" to remove a trespasser either unless criminal trespass applies and you are doing so to protect yourself or your property.

Read the Broadcasting Act and you will see the inspector has got the right to check for a TV, and by the way the issuing of the warrant if required is actually a simple quick process.

It would appear then that you are powerless in the face of the powers of the "officers of the issuing agent"...

or get a warrant if entry is refused.

and then it would appear that the "officers of the issuing agent" can be refused entry. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭Stasi 2.0

the courts would disagree with you.

District court judgments don't establish precedent in Irish law
    Tv licence resistance Ireland, it's a Facebook group

Much as there is a gap in the Irish market for such a thing I find it hard to take seriously any outfit which sets up a facebook page in lieu of a proper website.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

Tv licence resistance Ireland, it's a Facebook group join it and will assure you you will never pay a TVs licence again, I stopped paying it years ago go have a read there you'll understand it better, even had a court appearance and won

What a load of rubbish, a group who incorrectly reference Gary Doyle Orders and breaches of Data Protection laws is best suited to be discussed on this thread.

GrumpyMe wrote: »
    It would appear then that you are powerless in the face of the powers of the "officers of the issuing agent"...

and then it would appear that the "officers of the issuing agent" can be refused entry. :confused:

You can refuse them entry all you like but they are still legally allowed onto your property, but not using force, so if you are refusing them entry by blocking their way then they need a warrant, otherwise they don't.

Stasi 2.0 wrote: »
    District court judgments don't establish precedent in Irish law

I never said they did, the DC does not make judgements.

The law is clearly written, such a matter would only need clarification of the High Court (or the Supreme Court after that) when there is a vagueness in the wording or meaning of something, the wording is clear, a DC judge would not need clarification on what "weather or not" means, it's plain english.

And the likelyhood of an ordinary joe taking such to the High Court for clarification is next to nil due to the efforts and costs associated with what is essentially a minor criminal point.

Until such happens a DC judge will continue to read the plain english meaning of the legislation and apply it as such.

You can refuse them entry all you like but they are still legally allowed onto your property, but not using force, so if you are refusing them entry by blocking their way then they need a warrant, otherwise they don't.

So does that mean if you invite/allow them in, they can come in but otherwise they can't, without going through the simple quick process of getting a warrant?

I would think the same applies to most/all callers including the ubiquitous door to door salesman type! :rolleyes:

So does that mean if you invite/allow them in, they can come in but otherwise they can't, without going through the simple quick process of getting a warrant?

I would think the same applies to most/all callers including the ubiquitous door to door salesman type! :rolleyes:

They have the lawful right to enter any premises with or without your permission without a warrant, what they don't have is the lawful right to enter any premises using force - that is when they need a warrant.

So for example say your standing in your garden and you refuse them entry they can walk right past you and enter your property (at a reasonable time) once they don't use force - i.e push you or force open a door.

Someone who has a lawful right to be somewhere can not be a trespasser.

• Advertisement

So hypothetically TV dude comes in my garden gate ignores my shout to "get off my property" (which he is on BEFORE he approaches front door if there is a garden) opens my front door only to be attacked and severely injured by my (licenced) dog and there is no TV on the premises what happens then.....He was warned !

• Registered Users Posts: 12,170 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

We have a TV in the front room but the curtains are always closed so you can't see it. I was at home alone one Monday afternoon and I opened the door a few inches when I heard a knock. Hello TV license inspector the guy says and holds up some ID in my face. I said "Oh hello" and gently closed the door again, went out the back door, through the courtyard and on to a different street. Went for a pint came back an hour later and he was gone. Haven't heard from them since. Although we did get a flyer recently saying inspectors will be around again.

So hypothetically TV dude comes in my garden gate ignores my shout to "get off my property" (which he is on BEFORE he approaches front door if there is a garden) opens my front door only to be attacked and severely injured by my (licenced) dog and there is no TV on the premises what happens then.....He was warned !

You will be liable as dog attacks on a person and livestock bear the doctrine of strict liability.

Even when there is a trespasser on your property you are still liable - but only in accordance with the rules of law relating to liability for negligence.

They have the lawful right to enter any premises with or without your permission without a warrant, what they don't have is the lawful right to enter any premises using force - that is when they need a warrant.

So for example say your standing in your garden and you refuse them entry they can walk right past you and enter your property (at a reasonable time) once they don't use force - i.e push you or force open a door.

Someone who has a lawful right to be somewhere can not be a trespasser.

"Someone who has a lawful right to be somewhere can not be a trespasser" good to know!

Having a lawful right and the real world are two distinct places.

Mr Inspector can't come in unless you allow/invite him in or he has gone to the trouble of getting a warrant by making a statement on oath that he has good reason to believe that there is an unlicensed television in the premises - which would be hard to do in the OP's situation - TV in the attic.

"Someone who has a lawful right to be somewhere can not be a trespasser" good to know!

Having a lawful right and the real world are two distinct places.

Indeed, however if you use force to remove the inspector from your property or call Gardaí telling them that you have a "trespasser" on your property or you try take legal action against them and you will soon see that the law will quickly beat what people believe in the "real world".

Mr Inspector can't come in unless you allow/invite him in or he has gone to the trouble of getting a warrant by making a statement on oath that he has good reason to believe that there is an unlicensed television in the premises - which would be hard to do in the OP's situation - TV in the attic.

You would be surprised what a judge will sanction, the act of refusing someone access when they have a lawful right to do so could see the judge being happy with the inspectors reasonable suspicion that the owner is hiding something. In reality though warrants are rarely issued for such purposes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11 london bus 200

i got a letter looking for a tv licence the last day, ****ing crazy as i haven't had elecdtricity in over ten years, the esb wires got knocked in a storm, and have no ****ing tv,

admittedly id sit out in the car to listen to the radio but never rte,

so i have to write a letter back to them now ,

i need a secratray

• Registered Users Posts: 15,857 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

You will be liable as dog attacks on a person and livestock bear the doctrine of strict liability.

Even when there is a trespasser on your property you are still liable - but only in accordance with the rules of law relating to liability for negligence.

A person is entitled to access to your front door unless you lock the gate. However it's a totally different ball game if they open it. It would be reasonable for a person to defend themselves first if a they found someone in their house.

Are we saying that a TV license inspector has the same rights as a bailiff, in that he can make peaceful entry if a door is unlocked ?

The police in the UK told me to put a padlock on my gate. They said that anyone on the property would be guilty of entering secure premises rather than trespass. Is there such a law here ?

Discodog wrote: »
    It would be reasonable for a person to defend themselves first if a they found someone in their house.

This is where things can get very messy, yes you are correct is is reasonable to defend yourself using reasonable force if you believe that someone has entered your premises for the purposes of commiting an offence even if they havn't actually entered to commit an offence.

In such a case you can use reasonable force and be free from commiting an offence to protect yourself or another person present in your house from injury, assault, detention or death caused by a criminal act, to protect your property or the property of another person from appropriation, destruction or damage caused by a criminal act, or to prevent the commission of a crime or to effect, or assist in effecting, a lawful arrest.

But here's the sting, that dosn't apply when someone is present lawfully performing a function authorised by or under any enactment. In that case even if you believed it to be a genuine case of protecting yourself or your property then you could be guilty of an offence such as assault etc.

Are we saying that a TV license inspector has the same rights as a bailiff, in that he can make peaceful entry if a door is unlocked ?

A Sheriff as opposed to a Bailiff has the power here and may enter any dwelling using force. There is some doubt as to weather a Bailiff is afforded the same legal protections and rights as a Sheriff, something which the Law Reform Commission reported to the Attorney General years ago.

The police in the UK told me to put a padlock on my gate. They said that anyone on the property would be guilty of entering secure premises rather than trespass. Is there such a law here ?

Trespass is still trespass either way, in the UK just like here it's a civil issue rather than a criminal offence - although the UK have a criminal offence of aggrevated trespass.

What is intended as a result of the trespass is what is important, for example if someone unlawfully enters a premises with the intention of commiting an arrestable offence then it's an offence of burglary, but not trespass whilst say breaking a lock to enter a premises could be criminal damage.

i haven't had elecdtricity in over ten years, the esb wires got knocked in a storm, and have no ****ing tv,

What ?

Dog behind closed door and TV dude ignored a warning -who is being negligent ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

Why don't they just take it from public funds, forget all this grabass.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭Oodoov

It shouldnt be funded by anyone except advertisers or maybe anyone who wants to subscribe to it. Let them stand or fall on their own.

Dog behind closed door and TV dude ignored a warning -who is being negligent ?

TV inspector isn't a trespasser so it's irrelevant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭Oodoov

TV inspector isn't a trespasser so it's irrelevant.

They are trespassers if not invited inside the property.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

You want to pay more tax to pay Joe Duffy €400,000 for a phone show? Or talentless Tubridy even more for an outdated glorified advertorial show.
    The whole concept of a licence is bizarre in this day and age.
    If people want RTE, they can subscribe and pay for it themselves.Forcing people to pay? Nah.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,531 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Probably because they have always done it this way.You'd be surprised how many things like this just carry on for that reason.
    In truth the tv licence is an outmoded concept and increasingly becoming unenforceable. It's a bit like the window tax from the 18th century.In years to come people will look back and say how did we allow it to keep going so long past it's time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

Because then they'd have to justify it every time a budget comes around. And there's no justifying the hundreds of millions spend on the crap RTE produce.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Why do so many people have no problem paying this tax? RTE f*cking advertise. If they were making quality programming and had no adverts, like the BBC with Planet Earth and some of the really quality drama they've had in the last few years - then I might pay it, but at the moment we're just paying a fee, even if we don't watch their channel, to pay ridiculous salaries to talentless clowns.

Because then they'd have to justify it every time a budget comes around. And there's no justifying the hundreds of millions spend on the crap RTE produce.

Whatever we may think of RTE public service broadcasting is a vital public good and we need to face up to paying for it but not by an outmoded licencing system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

elperello wrote: »
    Whatever we may think of RTE public service broadcasting is a vital public good and we need to face up to paying for it but not by an outmoded licencing system.

Sorry, no. It isn't. It's a government mouthpiece and a gravy train for those on board.

• Advertisement

Sorry, no. It isn't. It's a government mouthpiece and a gravy train for those on board.

I'd rather take my chances with with a properly regulated public broadcasting service in preference to relying on Fox or Sky or some such.

Advertisement