Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tv Licence Letter.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Micky8728 wrote: »
    And don't have a bank account to do it by direct debit.
    Go to the bank with cash, fill out a credit transfer form, and pay it. You could probably also pay at the An Post post office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭the dark phantom

diomed wrote: »
    Go to the bank with cash, fill out a credit transfer form, and pay it. You could probably also pay at the An Post post office.

Thats the worst thing he could do, Then they will have his name and hound him every year to pay for the stupid thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Our licence inspector has changed the letters a bit. Used to be the occupant. Now it's the tenant from two tenancies ago. Dunno where they got her name from but she's gone 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Micky8728

Letter was addressed to myself. Closed my bank account months back because i never used it and I kept getting charged fees. Thr bills are piling up this month. This is the last thing i needed:-(

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭eet fuk

Letter was addressed to myself. Closed my bank account months back because i never used it and I kept getting charged fees. Thr bills are piling up this month. This is the last thing i needed:-(

Are you a drug dealer?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭Oodoov

We got several threatening letters from them some years back which we completely ignored and that was that. Have not heard from them in years now. I'm sure at some stage the licence fee will be done away with it's laughable the service that is provided.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,946 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

mansize wrote: »
    You can receive a court summons

Who do they summon?

Never wstch the TV myself. My son watchs rte junior sometimes.. Just dont want to recieve a summons and then 1000 fine

Never wstch the TV myself. My son watchs rte junior sometimes.. Just dont want to recieve a summons and then 1000 fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Del2005 wrote: »
    Who do they summon?

The OP to Court. C&F €160 plus costs

• Advertisement

The fine is unlikely to be that high. Why cant you get a licence? They are not that expensive tbf

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Atari Jaguar

The fine is unlikely to be that high. Why cant you get a licence? They are not that expensive tbf

They cost a 160 quid like.

With a months worth of bills and Christmas expenses that is a hard few pound to come by. And the fine is that high, first offence is 1000, second offence is 2k. Non payment of fine means prison term.

They cost a 160 quid like.

With a months worth of bills and Christmas expenses that is a hard few pound to come by. And the fine is that high, first offence is 1000, second offence is 2k. Non payment of fine means prison term.

I've not seen a €1,000 fine for a first offence

get a CU account and pay by DD, its about €13 a month

Nobody has said it yet so just for the record: your "tv license inspector" is also your local fear an phoist so he'd have a very good idea of the occupier's name after a very short period of delivering your post.

I moved into a new place a few years ago and a couple of months into it I got a knock on the door from my postman asking for the license. I showed it to him with my old address on it and he updated our address on An Post's records.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 299 ✭✭Old Bill

Hi. Received a letter this morning in post from Tv Licence crowd. Pretty much saying an inspector visted recently and we werent there. Then says "further action will be taken unless a Licence is purchased immediately".Should I be worried? Really cant afford it atm. And dont have abank account to do it by direct debit.

I wounld not engage with them.

if you have TV get them to prove it.

Nobody has said it yet so just for the record: your "tv license inspector" is also your local fear an phoist so he'd have a very good idea of the occupier's name after a very short period of delivering your post.

I moved into a new place a few years ago and a couple of months into it I got a knock on the door from my postman asking for the license. I showed it to him with my old address on it and he updated our address on An Post's records.

thats not true.

The TV licence inspector works for An Post, but is not a post man

thats not true.

The TV licence inspector works for An Post, but is not a post man

In my case he definitely was. No better person for having intelligence on the comings and goings of an address either.

In my case he definitely was. No better person for having intelligence on the comings and goings of an address either.

An Post do manage the TV Licence so no doubt they cross share information

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭kyote00

At this stage, they (RTE) should just make their service a subscription service (like Sky, Amazon etc...)

If you want to watch RTE, pay the subscription - otherwise don't...

Obviously this will never happen as RTE would be bankrupt the week after...

Funny how people took to the streets over Water charges but not this BS....

kyote00 wrote: »
    At this stage, they (RTE) should just make their service a subscription service (like Sky, Amazon etc...)

If you want to watch RTE, pay the subscription - otherwise don't...

Obviously this will never happen as RTE would be bankrupt the week after...

Like with the water charges even if they stopped charging you a 160 for the license, they'd just take it from tax money. One way or another it's being paid. RTÉ is our national broadcaster whether we like it or not.

If we get rid of them we lose out on a lot of Radio stations and TV programmes. Saeorview is also owned and ran by RTÉ so that goes too.

Also it's easy to say "ah sure who even watches it anymore"... a lot of people do. Like if Rté stopped where would you watch Irish news and weather? Just an example. There's a lot of decent programming on RTÉ but jaysus like you're not going to like everything they produce. It's all a give and take.

Also a separate discussion but we should be paying for our water, it isn't free to maintain water supplies there's a hell of a lot of work that goes into making it drinkable and Irish water since inception have done a lot of work helping take people off boil water notices. The councils can't be trusted to fill a hole in the road, I wouldn't trust them with my fcuking drinking water either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,213 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

I've just got the 3rd letter addressed to "The New Resident". Haven't bothered to open it. I don't have a TV. The previous letter said an inspector had called and "observed evidence of a television set at the premises". Its a 1st floor apartment......

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    I've just got the 3rd letter addressed to "The New Resident". Haven't bothered to open it. I don't have a TV. The previous letter said an inspector had called and "observed evidence of a television set at the premises". Its a 1st floor apartment......

Them boys are divils for climbing.

But seriously they will use ladders.

And can't you be done for having a satellite dish or Roof aerial because you have the capacity to receive a tv signal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Cdosrun

Has anyone tried to phone them to say yes I do have it.?
    You will not get an answer.
    I got the letter today but I have a license.
    I got a latter last month aswell.
    Happy Xmass Anpost.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,675 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I was away for 5 weeks over the summer when my TV licence expired. I was sent three letters by An Post, each one more threatening than the last. The last letter was titled "legal notice." Of course I paid up but it was ridiculous the degree of intimidation - what if a vulnerable and very anxious person got these?

B*stards!!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭The Raptor

Hi. Received a letter this morning in post from Tv Licence crowd. Pretty much saying an inspector visted recently and we werent there. Then says "further action will be taken unless a Licence is purchased immediately".Should I be worried? Really cant afford it atm. And dont have abank account to do it by direct debit.

So if you weren't there, how did they get to ask you if you had a licence or not?

That's an absolute nasty letter to receive. You're at fault if you're not there.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,033 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

kyote00 wrote:

It's even funnier how people took to the streets over our housing/homeless crisis and the calamity that is our public health care system, oh wait.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Riva10

How do you not have a bank account?
    Bertie Aherne our ex-Taoiseach did'nt have a bank account and see what happened him.:D

JupiterKid wrote: »
    I was away for 5 weeks over the summer when my TV licence expired. I was sent three letters by An Post, each one more threatening than the last. The last letter was titled "legal notice." Of course I paid up but it was ridiculous the degree of intimidation - what if a vulnerable and very anxious person got these?

B*stards!!:mad:

I don't think they care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Riva10 wrote: »
    Bertie Aherne our ex-Taoiseach did'nt have a bank account and see what happened him.:D

He got a load of speaking gigs which paid him lots of money.

Op get rid of the TV.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

If you have a tv and just watch DVDs and stuff off the hard drive do you need a licence?

Advertisement