Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unfunny Irish comedians <<MOD note in OP>>

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

Nobody headlines that festival. Where did you hear that nonsense?
    I'd assume they think having a prominent slot in one of the big 4 venues means headlining... but each of those venues have about 10-20 rooms each with 5-10 shows a day.

Jason Byrne is very prominently promoted at Edinburgh, but considering the way that festival works I suspect he has some kind of several year deal with one of the venues so that they promote him more. Doubt he makes huge money out of it all, practically no one does in Edinburgh, but the exposure of being treated like a big name there would help you a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Nobody headlines that festival. Where did you hear that nonsense?

"IRISH comedian Jason Byrne is officially the Edinburgh Festival’s biggest-selling funnyman."

https://www.sundaypost.com/fp/10-questions-for-edinburgh-fringe-comedian-jason-byrne/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

I was sure that the comedians themselves pay for their own promotion, venue etc. In order to get noticed. Can't see him being a big draw anywhere. If he played here where I live I don't know anyone who would go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

I was sure that the comedians themselves pay for their own promotion, venue etc. In order to get noticed. Can't see him being a big draw anywhere. If he played here where I live I don't know anyone who would go.

Comedy, much like music, can serve up the incredulous to some.

Well, Killnascully was on TV for what seemed like forever. There's no accounting for taste.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

el diablo wrote: »
    That traveller woman (can't remember her name- maybe Katherine Jenkins?) who somehow had her own show on Network 2 a few years back

She played lots of different characters.
    Anyway, she wasn't very good.

She's not an actual traveller, if it's the same one I'm thinking of. She is very annying and unfunny though.Katherine Lynch I think is who you mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Katherine Jenkins is a classically trained mezzo soprano from Wales - I think you might mean Katherine Lynch :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,746 ✭✭✭el diablo

She's not an actual traveller, if it's the same one I'm thinking of. She is very annying and unfunny though.Katherine Lynch I think is who you mean.
    Katherine Jenkins is a classically trained mezzo soprano from Wales - I think you might mean Katherine Lynch :D

Ha yes, that's who I meant. Katherine Lynch. :pac:

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Just looking at a packet of fags here, there is a picture of Andrew Maxwell blowing smoke into a babys face.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

This should be in a best Irish comedy moments thread, I know Jon Kenny has got some stick on this but his take on Eminem's Stan is a commendable moment, you will either love or hate this I don't care, it has to be posted, listen to when there is no small children around as its quite cursey and vulgar, but nonetheless.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement

This should be in a best Irish comedy moments thread, I know Jon Kenny has got some stick on this but his take on Eminem's Stan is a commendable moment, you will either love or hate this I don't care, it has to be posted, listen to when there is no small children around as its quite cursey and vulgar, but nonetheless.

I like Kenny, he was the talent and Pat Shortt was the passenger imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭HS3

Jason Byrne was on Sunday Brunch this morning. He was absolutely dreadful.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Its a bit hit and miss and the guest can be brutal sometimes but The Blame Game (BBC NI) is about the best Irish Comedy Show at the moment.

HS3 wrote: »
    Jason Byrne was on Sunday Brunch this morning. He was absolutely dreadful.

No change then. He's a moron.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

my da ended up drinking with him one night, he said he was the funniest person hes ever met in his life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,746 ✭✭✭el diablo

my da ended up drinking with him one night, he said he was the funniest person hes ever met in his life.

Maybe he is funny after all. I just can't understand a word he says.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

D'Unbelievables done regional comedy for an Ireland that doesn't really exist so much anymore, it's fairly understandable that it hasn't aged too well.

I always thought the two of them were great performers with a very strong dynamic who unfortunately were more than aware that they could coast on **** all and, due to the very Ireland centric nature of it all, stood to gain little from trying harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

D'Unbelievables done regional comedy for an Ireland that doesn't really exist so much anymore, it's fairly understandable that it hasn't aged too well.

I always thought the two of them were great performers with a very strong dynamic who unfortunately were more than aware that they could coast on **** all and, due to the very Ireland centric nature of it all, stood to gain little from trying harder.

D'unbelievables are funny because they are lambasting spud-munching boggers.

Never understood why the ag-diesel crowd found them funny and not offensive. Its basically culchie blackface.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Glenster wrote: »

Never understood why the ag-diesel crowd found them funny and not offensive. Its basically culchie blackface.

That's precisely why it's funny, though..you laugh because you know it's true, and it reminds you of certain people.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

The two lads themselves are from that culture.

If some jackeen was doing it, then it would be offensive to bogmonsters.

• Advertisement

You probably need to see just how awful other comedians that geared themselves towards a rural Irish audience were to get a full understanding of why D'Unbelievables were so successful. Can't remember any of their names now but check back in with me when I'm made listen to some during Christmas!

I don't like them at all but I can totally appreciate why they were so successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

I don't like d'unbelievables but Killnascully was ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭chakotha

Neil Delamere is more annoying than funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

D'unbelievables ... Its basically culchie blackface.

this is gold :D

I'm not a spud gobbling silage spreader but I always found D'unbelievables very funny. That their humour would never translate abroad was one of their strong points

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

The teacher sketches were very funny and nail on the head stuff.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭melon_collie

Deirdre O Kane
    Karl Spain
    Aisling B

All of the above are terrible

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Bambi wrote: »
    this is gold :D

I'm not a spud gobbling silage spreader but I always found D'unbelievables very funny. That their humour would never translate abroad was one of their strong points

They initially thought that it wouldn't translate outside of rural Limerick and Tipperary.

As a turnip eating, stone thrower I meet people similar to their characters on a regular basis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

That Stan thing is nonsense, shouty feckin language etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

They initially thought that it wouldn't translate outside of rural Limerick and Tipperary.

As a turnip eating, stone thrower I meet people similar to their characters on a regular basis.

Mothers family was from rural limerick, so i kinda got where they came from.

Though most of her family used about three phrases for 80% of their conversation with us city kids .

• Advertisement

I've never laughed at D'Unbelievables, mainly because they are terrible. I'd put them in the same boat as Cian Twomey. Nothing funny there but strangely popular.

Advertisement