Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unfunny Irish comedians <<MOD note in OP>>

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,453 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Des Bishop. Was hoping the Chinese would hold onto him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 353 ✭✭discodiva92

Jon Kenny didnt do Stan
    A musician from Limerick did

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

Kevin McGahern anyone?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

D'Unbelievables done regional comedy for an Ireland that doesn't really exist so much anymore, it's fairly understandable that it hasn't aged too well.

I always thought the two of them were great performers with a very strong dynamic who unfortunately were more than aware that they could coast on **** all and, due to the very Ireland centric nature of it all, stood to gain little from trying harder.

I would have to say I like D'Unbelievables and Pat Shortt. It is funny and reminds one of people one knows. Their portrayals of culchies, pub experts and GAA men are spot on. Their DVDs are good as was Pat Shortt's Killinaskully and their appearances in Father Ted. All this was way way better than Mrs Brown and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Carson10

Oliver Callan - brutal

Des Bishop - Time to go back to America and look after his mother (as per tv ad)

IRISH COMEDIANS PLEASE STOP WITH IRISH MAMMY JOKES AND 'LEFT THE IMMERSION ON JOKES

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Carson10 wrote: »
    Des Bishop - Time to go back to America and look after his mother (as per tv ad)

basically he's got one gag....a yank living in Ireland who observes irish eccentricity's and pokes fun at them, and thats about it

kinda funny at the start now its getting boring

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 353 ✭✭discodiva92

I dont get Aishling Bea at all.only thing ive seem her on is 8 out of 10 cats

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

fryup wrote: »
    basically he's got one gag....a yank living in Ireland who observes irish eccentricity's and pokes fun at them, and thats about it

kinda funny at the start now its getting boring

Goes back to NY and drops the accent back to a New Yoiikker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

Two points about Des Bishop .......... first off, he's not Irish ....... he's Irish-American ........ and secondly, he's f*cking hilarious!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

MadDog76 wrote: »
    Two points about Des Bishop .......... first off, he's not Irish ....... he's Irish-American ........ and secondly, he's f*cking hilarious!!!

Went to see him once, left at the interval because he made zero jokes, just terrible "banter" with the giggling girls in the front row.

He is garbage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,433 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

I can condense Des Bishops act into one paragraph.

Oh my God lads , the immersion . I ca n't stop ****ing laughing . Whenever I think of someone forgetting about the immersion I laugh so hard that my spine slides out of my arse and runs out the door . It 's so ****ing funny , it 's just the funniest , most Irish ****ing thing in the whole wide world . Everyone should laugh their heads off at the immersion , the immersion is the epitome of being Irish . ****ing hell , I am dying of laughter thinking about that immersion lads . IT 'S ****ING HILARIOUS ****ING COMEDY GOLD , THE OSCAR FOR BEST ****ING COMEDY GOES TO THE IMMERSION , HAS ANYONE FORGET TO TURN IMMERSON OOF ? I FORGET AND IT 'S ****NIGN HILARIOUSOUS I CA N'T EVEN TYPE I AM LAUGH ! G SO HARD AT THE IMMERSION TOP COMEDY GOLD IRISH SO IRISH YOU KNOW YOU 'RE IRISH WHEN YOU FORGET ABOUT THE IMMERSION IREWINQSADKLMMMMMMMMMMZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.......

• Registered Users Posts: 17,270 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

The Healy-Raes are the best comedians Ireland has - laugh every time they're on TV

But totally agree with the OP, especially Tiernan - money for old rope

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

Des Bishop having his own show again. For fu**k sake you have RTE going to cut back on making childrens programmes and then they go and pay this clown to talk crap.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭selassie

Al Porter on Michael McIntyre's show just there, killed his 5 minutes. Probably my favourite up and coming Irish comedian actually has punch lines and can put together a decent short set.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭zeroliner

David McSavage. I'm not just mentioning him because I don't find him funny. I find him kinda scary. I encounter him on a regular basis. He's not funny. He's kind of intimidating.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Skommando

I can condense Des Bishops act into one paragraph.

Oh my God lads , the immersion . I ca n't stop ****ing laughing . Whenever I think of someone forgetting about the immersion I laugh so hard that my spine slides out of my arse and runs out the door . It 's so ****ing funny , it 's just the funniest , most Irish ****ing thing in the whole wide world . Everyone should laugh their heads off at the immersion , the immersion is the epitome of being Irish . ****ing hell , I am dying of laughter thinking about that immersion lads . IT 'S ****ING HILARIOUS ****ING COMEDY GOLD , THE OSCAR FOR BEST ****ING COMEDY GOES TO THE IMMERSION , HAS ANYONE FORGET TO TURN IMMERSON OOF ? I FORGET AND IT 'S ****NIGN HILARIOUSOUS I CA N'T EVEN TYPE I AM LAUGH ! G SO HARD AT THE IMMERSION TOP COMEDY GOLD IRISH SO IRISH YOU KNOW YOU 'RE IRISH WHEN YOU FORGET ABOUT THE IMMERSION IREWINQSADKLMMMMMMMMMMZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.......

I wouldn't give up the day job just yet if I were you . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

D'unbelievables. Name is apt

Tommy Tiernan.

Can somebody explain how they are funny?

Not even funny accidentally.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭rmchmufc

I see Andrew Maxwell has gotten a few mentions already in this thread and rightly so because he is absolutely dreadful.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,127 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

zeroliner wrote: »
    David McSavage. I'm not just mentioning him because I don't find him funny. I find him kinda scary. I encounter him on a regular basis. He's not funny. He's kind of intimidating.

I saw him perform at a comedy club and he was just like that. Really creepy to the women present too. It was just such a weird vibe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭el diablo

Skommando wrote: »
    I wouldn't give up the day job just yet if I were you . . .

Well the "immersion" joke is probably one of the finest pieces of comedy of the last twenty years.

Here it is in all its glory. :rolleyes:

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Grayson wrote: »
    I saw him perform at a comedy club and he was just like that. Really creepy to the women present too. It was just such a weird vibe.

You should have stayed in your safe space Grayson.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Grayson wrote: »
    zeroliner wrote: »
    David McSavage.  I'm not just mentioning him because I don't find him funny.  I find him kinda scary.  I encounter him on a regular basis.  He's not funny.  He's kind of intimidating.

He was very annoyed when Tubridy got the LLS (he was an audience warmer upper), and stormed home like a kid who lost 3-and-in with their own ball. 
    He kicked up such a storm that all of his political connections made sure he got his own tv show.
    BTW, He is creepy and scary in real life, not just in his 'act'. 
    He is not a nice person on any scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I haven't read the full thread (just page 1 and this page) so apologies if someone has mentioned this already, but I can guarantee you if you ever listen to a Funny Friday on Liveline on RTÉ radio 1 you will think the people slated as being unfunny on this thread are the second coming of Bill Hicks.

Suckit wrote: »

Just out of curiosity, what is it that you find so creepy about him?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Just out of curiosity, what is it that you find so creepy about him?
    Maybe that he calls himself Jimmy and eats Garlic.. ;)
    Specifically, - creepy - He is creepy. He has an odd mannerism about himself and he does not have an awful lot of respect for people that he deems (for reasons only known to himself) lesser than him. Put that with the females and very much the males, that he meets in a less than pleasant situation. He is a f**k**g creep.
    He is also worse than that but you asked specifically about why i think a creep. I will not answer any more about him, but i will say go visit places that he is known.
    Back On Topic he is not funny. At all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭el diablo

Maybe that he calls himself Jimmy and eats Garlic.. ;)
    Specifically, - creepy - He is creepy. He has an odd mannerism about himself and he does not have an awful lot of respect for people that he deems (for reasons only known to himself) lesser than him. Put that with the females and very much the males, that he meets in a less than pleasant situation. He is a f**k**g creep.
    He is also worse than that but you asked specifically about why i think a creep. I will not answer any more about him, but i will say go visit places that he is known.
    Back On Topic he is not funny. At all.

The Savage Eye was bleedin' deadly though.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Des Bishop is smug and super preachy and dresses it up as comedy. He's a neurotic Yank masquerading as a Plastic Paddy.

Ed Byrne is just poor. Actually, really poor.

Deidre O'Kane is cringeworthy in seeming to try really hard at getting a laugh and falling flat on her face.

Katherine Lynch was a bit funny when she started her show but it's just got incredibly lame and repetitive now.

Bridget and Eamonn are mildly funny now and then and they get the 80s down to a tee but they're a bit too 2010s looking at the 80s from today's perspective.

Pat Shortt is just diabolical. Killinascully was a televisual abortion that made the Healy Rae clan look like global urban sophisticates.

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Des Bishop is smug and super preachy and dresses it up as comedy. He's a neurotic Yank masquerading as a Plastic Paddy.

He was 16 when he moved over here.. I think he completely milks the yank thing for all its worth. He has been living here most of his life.. Super preachy alright, and that's not funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭yorlum11

Liam28 wrote:
    Al Porter anyone? Best I can say about him is that he is not as bad as Oliver Callan. And the original and worst unfunny comedian, Brendan O'Carroll. Say 'feck' enough times and some people will laugh. Still he has made his fortune in the UK. Agree about Tommy Tiernan and Des Bishop who have not been funny in 10 years. And Jason Byrne never was and never will be funny. There are some good Irish comedians. Dara OBriain is funny and witty. Mario Rosenstock is talented and funny some of the time. Eh, I'm sure there are more. Here's a classic sketch from the late, great Dave Allen.

Dave Allen. Best Irish comedian of all time. IMHO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Suckit wrote:
    He was very annoyed when Tubridy got the LLS (he was an audience warmer upper), and stormed home like a kid who lost 3-and-in with their own ball. He kicked up such a storm that all of his political connections made sure he got his own tv show. BTW, He is creepy and scary in real life, not just in his 'act'. He is not a nice person on any scale.

Are they related to some degree? Cousins or something.

To be fair if that's true he was right, a terrible decision.

Advertisement