Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Baked anything tasty lately?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

Is anyone baking anything for Halloween? Looking for ideas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭dee_mc

SB_Part2 wrote: »
    Is anyone baking anything for Halloween? Looking for ideas.

This is my go-to Halloween recipe. I up the pumpkin content to 3 cups (I just boil and puree the pumpkin) and it's absolutely delicious, so moist and yummy! Great with a cream cheese icing. http://southernfood.about.com/od/pumpkins/r/bl30212s.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

I made this recently for a friends birthday, it went down a treat, there wasn't a bit left.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3092/ultimate-chocolate-cake

Absolutely delicious, I'm already looking for another occasion to make it. :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Ooh that looks amazing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I made this recently for a friends birthday, it went down a treat, there wasn't a bit left.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3092/ultimate-chocolate-cake

Absolutely delicious, I'm already looking for another occasion to make it. :o

That's a fantastic recipe! Have made that a good few times now for people in work and was actually paid to make it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

I made a rhubarb & custard cake this morning. It's cooling so I haven't tasted it yet.
    http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/10500/rhubarb-and-custard-cake
    G]

I made this last week and it was a fabulous recipe. Scraped around for the last of the rhubarb in F&B. It was worth it. Can't wait for next year to make it again
    Thanks Db.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,616 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

tampopo wrote: »
    I made this last week and it was a fabulous recipe. Scraped around for the last of the rhubarb in F&B. It was worth it. Can't wait for next year to make it again
    Thanks Db.

Made this a while ago and agree, cake stays moist for days and very tasty. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Lyra Fangs

Made some stuff for halloween for the guys in work :)

tTDoEA1.jpg

Edit: Can someone please tell me why my imgur link isn't working and the image doesn't show up??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Lyra Fangs wrote: »
    Made some stuff for halloween for the guys in work :)

q6fAW

Edit: Can someone please tell me why my imgur link isn't working and the image doesn't show up??

You're using the direct link, trying to embed http://imgur.com/a/q6fAW, You need to use the link that ends in .jpg, or the one termed 'BB code' and inside the tags.  Looks amazingly yummy btw!

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Lyra Fangs

You're using the direct link, trying to embed http://imgur.com/a/q6fAW, You need to use the link that ends in .jpg, or the one termed 'BB code' and inside the tags.  Looks amazingly yummy btw!

Thank you!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Made the Christmas cake mix this evening, and it's looking good for baking in the morning :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Musefan

11i0278.jpg
    Nadiya Hussain's Big Fat British Wedding Cake with a lemon buttercream icing.

Decided to use up some of my over stock of Christmas cake ingredients today and made up a fruit cake loaf mix. Threw in some Chinese five spice powder in lieu of my regular spices and added some chopped dried apricots and pineapple into the mix. The batter was delicious..hopefully the cake will be it's equal ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Banana bread , can't go wrong and it tastes exquisite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

It's cold outside, christmas is approaching - The German in me decided that I had better start the baking. So today I've made Spitzbuben :

2uhl5oi.jpg

Next week, I'll make Vanillekipferl, then Husarenkrapfen, then... well, then I might need an insulin shot and maybe some counselling.

Cake turned out OK, and can smell the five spice. Should taste good - don't think I'll bother icing it, and will just tuck in later :P

Little Rugelach... Pecan, Walnut & Honey filled. Just heaven!

23wk9cz.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

My Christmas cakes and some banana muffins!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

Made this for my birthday cake! Looks a mess because I just slapped on different buttercream that I'd made a few days earlier but the 'galaxy' buttercream colour is a bit of a thing now. Well according to Pinterest! It was a white chocolate mud cake and it was honestly the tastiest thing I've ever baked! It was my first attempt at it so I was so thrilled! This was the recipe I used

https://www.nigella.com/recipes/members/oooolivoooos-white-chocolate-mud-cake

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,506 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Hazelnut sticks

IMG_0190_zpsxtjhufgs.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭dee_mc

What is a hazelnut stick? It looks like a lovely moist cake bar?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Was on holidays the last week and in need of a quick addition for a dinner party (hate going with hands hanging) I tore up some leftover croissants and pain au chocolat from breakfast, knocked up a custard, couple of teaspoons of cinnamon, bunged it in the oven, and the job was a good one. Happy hosts and guests.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭Latatian

Made apple amber- bit of pastry, mixed an egg yolk with cooled cooked apples, topped with meringue from the egg white. Baked without the meringue until the apple and pastry were browned, then topped with meringue and put back in so that it was golden brown but still soft inside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

Latatian wrote: »
    Made apple amber- bit of pastry, mixed an egg yolk with cooled cooked apples, topped with meringue from the egg white. Baked without the meringue until the apple and pastry were browned, then topped with meringue and put back in so that it was golden brown but still soft inside.

That sounds gorgeous. I might try making it. Have you got a recipe?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,506 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

dee_mc wrote: »
    What is a hazelnut stick? It looks like a lovely moist cake bar?

Nah, not moist. More of a biscuit.

SB_Part2 wrote: »
    That sounds gorgeous. I might try making it. Have you got a recipe?

I didn't use a recipe. I just cooked 3 bramleys, put it on top of some shortcrust pastry, put an egg yolk into it and the juice of a lime. I baked it for 20 minutes. I mixed 1oz sugar with the egg white and put it on top and baked for another 10.

Okay, I put a 'meringue' into which I had forgotten to put sugar on it first, scraped that off after 10 minutes, baked for 10, then put the other meringue on top.
    http://www.food.com/recipe/apple-amber-421308

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,611 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Well, I hope it's tasty!

m76lxe.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭RuckingSwimmer

Made some white chocolate and cranberry cookies for a Christmas staff meeting in work the other day. Used this recipe http://www.ilovecooking.ie/recipe/cranberry-white-chocolate-cookies/. Swapped out the egg for some Greek style natural yogurt as one of my colleagues is allergic to eggs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭sdp

christmas cakes, 8 inch and 6 inch , peaks could have been better :o

13e03323-920f-4be7-ba54-a5806c27195a_zpsbvczoycp.jpg
    5da84ce4-933f-4b50-8462-6320dbd5f1e8_zpsoytwieji.jpg

• Advertisement

Dunno what you're talking about, those peaks look fabulous. I mean, eh, er, you make another one and I'll quietly dispose of that one.

Do exactly the same thing in blue and it's the most astonishing storm-tossed sea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭janmaree

Any "Blue Bloods" fans will have noticed the Reagans drooling over this cheesecake and so I downloaded the recipe kindly provided by the grandson of the original Junior, and made it yesterday. It takes a while to put together for the first time but well worth it. The base is a thin vanilla flavoured sponge cake with a very traditional filling (I added lemon zest, mainly because I had it in the fridge but also because I simply love vanilla and lemon together). It's truly delicious and already a bit of a mangled mess, so no photos, I keep stopping by to "tidy it up" :o! I bake cheesecakes nowadays in a water bath, made easy by using a giant magic roasting bag....simples! I wish I'd taken a photo but I was so impatient, I dug into it while it was still warm. Shame on me.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

C24oCCFXAAAdkc7.jpg:small Not baked, but amaretto fudge, dipped in dark chocolate.

The fudge was too soft as I didn't beat it enough, so the chocolate is for structural integrity. Super smooth buttery fudge, complemented by the dark chocolate.

Sausage meat quiche with red pepper and topped with melted cheese.

WP_20170129_001_zpsrqk61lxx.jpg

and these, my first ever attempt. While the oven was on. Only had one egg, so halved the ingredients.

WP_20170127_008_zpsw45cgosb.jpg

A Seven Seed Plaited Bread

C605CDA6-2A1B-45FE-916B-10719E465AA4_zpsphjbaal7.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

^^ Oh lawd....just hand me a lb of real butter please and leave us alone for an hour :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭irishmoss

A Seven Seed Plaited Bread

Ooh can you share the recipe please. Looks fantastic

irishmoss wrote: »
    Ooh can you share the recipe please. Looks fantastic

It was from a bag of eight (not 7!) grain strong flour mix I think I bought in Aldi.

700g Eight Grain Flour
    15g salt
    25g olive oil
    15g dried yeast
    430ml water

Mix flour and salt together in a mixing bowl then separately measure out water, add oil and yeast then leave for 10 mins to activate. Add to flour and with a dough hook mix on slow for 8-10 mins.

Leave to rise for 30-40mims

Knock back and separate into three equal pieces. Roll out to make three sausage-shapes about 30cm long.

Plait as you would hair tucking in each end under the loaf to make it neat.

Put plaited dough loaf on a floured baking tray and cover with cling film for an hour.

Remove cling film and place in a hot oven 220c fan for 30-40 mins.

It was from a bag of eight (not 7!) grain strong flour mix I think I bought in Aldi.

700g Eight Grain Flour
    15g salt
    25g olive oil
    15g dried yeast
    430ml water

Mix flour and salt together in a mixing bowl then separately measure out water, add oil and yeast then leave for 10 mins to activate. Add to flour and with a dough hook mix on slow for 8-10 mins.

Leave to rise for 30-40mims

Knock back and separate into three equal pieces. Roll out to make three sausage-shapes about 30cm long.

Plait as you would hair tucking in each end under the loaf to make it neat.

Put plaited dough loaf on a floured baking tray and cover with cling film for an hour.

Remove cling film and place in a hot oven 220c fan for 30-40 mins.

I am SO going to try that this weekend! Thank you!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I'm trying to get my baking mojo back, I haven't baked at all this year. So this morning I made a raisin and sultana sponge traybake. It's too hot to cut yet but I'm enjoying the smell :)

CAke.jpg

Really want to get back into baking too but every time I do I just end up eating it all :rolleyes:

I have a wedding on the 1st June so maybe after that I can get back into it again....for the moment, I have to watch it :P

Looking at this thread is really helping though :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Lemon drizzle cake with lemon curd fresh cream and raspberries. The first thing I've baked in months

Lemon curd and vanilla sponge cake with buttercream.

JDBaleC.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Musefan wrote: »
    Lemon curd and vanilla sponge cake with buttercream.

JDBaleC.jpg

Right! :mad: Thats it! :mad: I've had enough of this thread! :mad: I'm taking up baking! :mad:

I made three rhubarb & strawberry crumble tarts today. One to eat, one to freeze and one to give away.

IMG_2473.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

They look amazing DB.

I'll send you my address for the one your giving away :P

I had promised my husband, so I made snow cake. Something his dd had come up with years ago. Essentially a victoria sandwich, only instead of strawberries and cream it's filled with jam (mango and pineapple this time) and covered in coconut butter cream and sprinkled with desiccated coconut to make it look like snow. I'm not the biggest fan of butter cream myself, but I kept it thin so it's actually pretty edible.

207l4ly.jpg

I made the rhubarb and custard cake at the weekend. Dizzyblond's recipe (via the BBC)?

It's delicious isn't it? I don't actually use a recipe apart from the crumble topping which is an old Odlums one, but I'll have a look at the BBC one :)

I made a Victoria Sandwich and blueberry muffins at the weekend, first time baking in ages :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,611 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Shenshen wrote: »
    I had promised my husband, so I made snow cake. Something his dd had come up with years ago. Essentially a victoria sandwich, only instead of strawberries and cream it's filled with jam (mango and pineapple this time) and covered in coconut butter cream and sprinkled with desiccated coconut to make it look like snow. I'm not the biggest fan of butter cream myself, but I kept it thin so it's actually pretty edible.

Could I have the recipe for this please?

• Advertisement
Advertisement