Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baked anything tasty lately?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Rogueish

Just after taking 2 apple pies out if the oven. My mum gave me a bag of windfalls plus some cooking apples I had in the bottom of the fridge that had to be used up. They smell divine. I put ground cinnamon and cloves in. Saying that I hate making pastry so I cheated and used ready made.

I also made a batch of oatmeal raisin cookies with the kids Friday evening. It was my first time making cookies and I was pleasantly surprised. I made about 2 dozen if them and looking at the box there is only one left. The plan was to dip them in chocolate but they didn't get that far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭The Raptor

Let me know how you find them :)

I'll make them next weekend and i'll let you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭The Raptor

Today's cooking banana and walnut bread. It smells lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,580 ✭✭✭Kat1170

A friends 96yo mother tried some of my Spicy Fruit Soda bread the other day. She reckoned it was 'Quite nice, considering it was baked by a man'. High praise indeed :D:D:D

Only just found this thread, pics the next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Wanderer41

Made a chocolate cake yesterday. It's so so so good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Wanderer41 wrote: »
    Made a chocolate cake yesterday. It's so so so good.

Any pics?! Probably gone by now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Wanderer41

leahyl wrote: »
    Any pics?! Probably gone by now :D

I'll see if I can get a pic when I get home unless it's mysteriously eaten by then :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Blackberry cobbler with the first crop of berries from the garden. Yum with some orange zest through the berries!

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭earlytobed

Have done Carrot Cake from Lidl's Easter booklet a couple of times lately
    Tatally delicious, though it's got 500g of icing sugar in the filling/covering alone

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I made the easiest and nicest brown bread ever this morning, it's a yeast recipe but doesn't require kneading. I used stoneground wholemeal flour for the first time and I think that added to the flavour.

It's a Donal Skehan recipe but is almost identical to a Ballymaloe bread: http://www.donalskehan.com/recipes/irish-brown-yeast-bread/

I tried to upload a photo but for some reason Tinypic is giving me the url for a pic of someone's car engine instead, lol.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Tinypic is behaving today :)

jim80w.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Apple tart from the windfalls! I am crap at baking cakes/bread as they either never rise of just don't taste right but the one thing I can do well is pastry :D

If anyone would like some cooking apples in Dublin just give me a shout and I can bring up a bag of them when I go up again. Although I don't know what the apple tree pollinated with this year, there's a lot of red showing on the skin.

I made a rhubarb & custard cake this morning. It's cooling so I haven't tasted it yet.
    http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/10500/rhubarb-and-custard-cake

j7b89g.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

omg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

Was my OH's birthday. Made a chocolate cake with salted caramel swiss meringue buttercream, chocolate ganache, and honeycomb bark.

IMG_7501%20copy_zpsirgylmti.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

SB_Part2 wrote: »
    Was my OH's birthday. Made a chocolate cake with salted caramel swiss meringue buttercream, chocolate ganache, and honeycomb bark.
    ]

:p That can't be real?!

It's the most beautiful looking cake I've ever seen. How long did it take you to do? I'd love to hear the process (not necessarily the recipe as I'd never have the ability to do it)

And here was I, coming in to say that I'm gonna try make butter biscuits with the toddler today. :o

Tbh it took too long. I made the salted caramel and the honeycomb the day before I needed them.

I started baking the chocolate cake layers at 10am. Had to do 2 at a time because my oven isn't great. I had to let them cool completely (this is something I never too - I'm always too quick to start messing with them).

Then I made the swiss meringue buttercream and added about 4-5 tablespoons of the salted caramel at the end.

I should have made the chocolate ganache at this point but I wasn't thinking straight and made it much later.

To assemble I cut the layers of the cake to make them as even as I could. Spread the buttercream on them and then crumb coated the whole thing and put it in the fridge for 2 hours (a freezer might have been better!). Made the chocolate ganache (2:1) and then covered the cake in that. Poured the remaining caramel over the top. With the leftover buttercream and ganache, I did some piping and then put the honeycomb bark on top.

If you want the recipe just pop me a PM and I'll give it to you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

^That cake looks absolutely amazing, even on my phone!!! Well done you!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

SB_Part2 wrote: »
    Was my OH's birthday. Made a chocolate cake with salted caramel swiss meringue buttercream, chocolate ganache, and

Good GOD!

I made a rhubarb & custard cake this morning. It's cooling so I haven't tasted it yet.
    http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/10500/rhubarb-and-custard-cake

Ok, trying to make this at the moment. I have a 23cm tin but it's not loose-bottomed. Can I line the tin with grease proof paper or tin foil to help lift it out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Yeah I made biscuits with the toddler. Between wrestling raw egg off him while he tried to eat it, him trying to put oregano into the dough and then him getting bored it was a disaster. Funny, but a disaster.

Aaaand I misread the recipe and used about a third of the butter I should have. So after all that the bikkies are dry and way too sweet.

Ok, trying to make this at the moment. I have a 23cm tin but it's not loose-bottomed. Can I line the tin with grease proof paper or tin foil to help lift it out?

I'm way too late, but because it's such a solid cake and it's left to cool in the tin I'd say it will be fine.

I'm way too late, but because it's such a solid cake and it's left to cool in the tin I'd say it will be fine.

Lined it with tinfoil anyway. Pulled out no problem.

A44EE15E-8057-4E41-8EA4-C5157F6F9BB4_zpsttphcqto.jpg

(Photo taken in car on the way to donate cake to cake sale).

God I love that rhubarb and custard cake. Dying to make it again now.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Rogueish

It's the baby's christening tomorrow and we are having the celebration at home. The hot food is being catered but I'm doing the sides, desserts and christening cake. Over the last few days:
    1 x Carrot cake complete with orange cream cheese icing
    1 x 3 layer coconut and lime cake (christening cake) I'm just after finishing the decorating. I don't know how to post pics on the phone.
    2 x apple pies
    1 x apple and blackberry pie

Just some Sunday morning scones :)

9piXkkW.jpg

Still using up apples so I made apple & cheddar scones yesterday. I couldn't get any taste of apple but the texture was lovely, very light and fluffy on the inside and sharp tang of cheese.
    Made 10 and when I went to get a photo there were 4 left :eek:
    Not normally something I'd eat with scones but they were yummy with ripe tomatoes!

More appley goodness! This morning I made up the recipe for Brown butter apple loaf, but last minute change to buns as I wanted them baked quickly.

WnVMZjWl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

Made this rolo caramel cheesecake last night for today's desert. It's all gone now, but it was amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

More appley goodness! This morning I made up the recipe for Brown butter apple loaf, but last minute change to buns as I wanted them baked quickly.

WnVMZjWl.jpg

Can I have the recipie please? I have lots of apples to use. I generally make chutney and blackberry and apple crumble.

Advertisement