Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Baked anything tasty lately?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

Is anyone baking anything for Halloween? Looking for ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

SB_Part2 wrote: »
    Is anyone baking anything for Halloween? Looking for ideas.

This is my go-to Halloween recipe. I up the pumpkin content to 3 cups (I just boil and puree the pumpkin) and it's absolutely delicious, so moist and yummy! Great with a cream cheese icing. http://southernfood.about.com/od/pumpkins/r/bl30212s.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

I made this recently for a friends birthday, it went down a treat, there wasn't a bit left.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3092/ultimate-chocolate-cake

Absolutely delicious, I'm already looking for another occasion to make it. :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Ooh that looks amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I made this recently for a friends birthday, it went down a treat, there wasn't a bit left.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3092/ultimate-chocolate-cake

Absolutely delicious, I'm already looking for another occasion to make it. :o

That's a fantastic recipe! Have made that a good few times now for people in work and was actually paid to make it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭tampopo

I made a rhubarb & custard cake this morning. It's cooling so I haven't tasted it yet.
    http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/10500/rhubarb-and-custard-cake
    G]

I made this last week and it was a fabulous recipe. Scraped around for the last of the rhubarb in F&B. It was worth it. Can't wait for next year to make it again
    Thanks Db.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,312 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

tampopo wrote: »
    I made this last week and it was a fabulous recipe. Scraped around for the last of the rhubarb in F&B. It was worth it. Can't wait for next year to make it again
    Thanks Db.

Made this a while ago and agree, cake stays moist for days and very tasty. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Lyra Fangs

Made some stuff for halloween for the guys in work :)

tTDoEA1.jpg

Edit: Can someone please tell me why my imgur link isn't working and the image doesn't show up??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Lyra Fangs wrote: »
    Made some stuff for halloween for the guys in work :)

q6fAW

Edit: Can someone please tell me why my imgur link isn't working and the image doesn't show up??

You're using the direct link, trying to embed http://imgur.com/a/q6fAW, You need to use the link that ends in .jpg, or the one termed 'BB code' and inside the tags.  Looks amazingly yummy btw!

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Lyra Fangs

You're using the direct link, trying to embed http://imgur.com/a/q6fAW, You need to use the link that ends in .jpg, or the one termed 'BB code' and inside the tags.  Looks amazingly yummy btw!

Thank you!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Made the Christmas cake mix this evening, and it's looking good for baking in the morning :D

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Musefan

11i0278.jpg
    Nadiya Hussain's Big Fat British Wedding Cake with a lemon buttercream icing.

Decided to use up some of my over stock of Christmas cake ingredients today and made up a fruit cake loaf mix. Threw in some Chinese five spice powder in lieu of my regular spices and added some chopped dried apricots and pineapple into the mix. The batter was delicious..hopefully the cake will be it's equal ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Banana bread , can't go wrong and it tastes exquisite.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

It's cold outside, christmas is approaching - The German in me decided that I had better start the baking. So today I've made Spitzbuben :

2uhl5oi.jpg

Next week, I'll make Vanillekipferl, then Husarenkrapfen, then... well, then I might need an insulin shot and maybe some counselling.

Cake turned out OK, and can smell the five spice. Should taste good - don't think I'll bother icing it, and will just tuck in later :P

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Musefan

Little Rugelach... Pecan, Walnut & Honey filled. Just heaven!

23wk9cz.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

My Christmas cakes and some banana muffins!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

Made this for my birthday cake! Looks a mess because I just slapped on different buttercream that I'd made a few days earlier but the 'galaxy' buttercream colour is a bit of a thing now. Well according to Pinterest! It was a white chocolate mud cake and it was honestly the tastiest thing I've ever baked! It was my first attempt at it so I was so thrilled! This was the recipe I used

https://www.nigella.com/recipes/members/oooolivoooos-white-chocolate-mud-cake

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Hazelnut sticks

IMG_0190_zpsxtjhufgs.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

What is a hazelnut stick? It looks like a lovely moist cake bar?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Was on holidays the last week and in need of a quick addition for a dinner party (hate going with hands hanging) I tore up some leftover croissants and pain au chocolat from breakfast, knocked up a custard, couple of teaspoons of cinnamon, bunged it in the oven, and the job was a good one. Happy hosts and guests.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Latatian

Made apple amber- bit of pastry, mixed an egg yolk with cooled cooked apples, topped with meringue from the egg white. Baked without the meringue until the apple and pastry were browned, then topped with meringue and put back in so that it was golden brown but still soft inside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

Latatian wrote: »
    Made apple amber- bit of pastry, mixed an egg yolk with cooled cooked apples, topped with meringue from the egg white. Baked without the meringue until the apple and pastry were browned, then topped with meringue and put back in so that it was golden brown but still soft inside.

That sounds gorgeous. I might try making it. Have you got a recipe?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

dee_mc wrote: »
    What is a hazelnut stick? It looks like a lovely moist cake bar?

Nah, not moist. More of a biscuit.

SB_Part2 wrote: »
    That sounds gorgeous. I might try making it. Have you got a recipe?

I didn't use a recipe. I just cooked 3 bramleys, put it on top of some shortcrust pastry, put an egg yolk into it and the juice of a lime. I baked it for 20 minutes. I mixed 1oz sugar with the egg white and put it on top and baked for another 10.

Okay, I put a 'meringue' into which I had forgotten to put sugar on it first, scraped that off after 10 minutes, baked for 10, then put the other meringue on top.
    http://www.food.com/recipe/apple-amber-421308

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Well, I hope it's tasty!

m76lxe.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭RuckingSwimmer

Made some white chocolate and cranberry cookies for a Christmas staff meeting in work the other day. Used this recipe http://www.ilovecooking.ie/recipe/cranberry-white-chocolate-cookies/. Swapped out the egg for some Greek style natural yogurt as one of my colleagues is allergic to eggs.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭sdp

christmas cakes, 8 inch and 6 inch , peaks could have been better :o

13e03323-920f-4be7-ba54-a5806c27195a_zpsbvczoycp.jpg
    5da84ce4-933f-4b50-8462-6320dbd5f1e8_zpsoytwieji.jpg

• Advertisement

Dunno what you're talking about, those peaks look fabulous. I mean, eh, er, you make another one and I'll quietly dispose of that one.

Do exactly the same thing in blue and it's the most astonishing storm-tossed sea.

Advertisement