Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum alcohol pricing is nigh

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,540 ✭✭✭Allinall

Go to tesco in the north and you will find 1 litre of smirnof vodka at £18

Go to any article on the norths introduction of minimum price and they state a £0.50p per unit.

1 Liter of smirnof Vodka contains 37.5 units.

0.50 x 37.5 = £18.75

£18.75 - £18.00 = £0.75p increase.

Is that straight forward enough for you??

I do apologise.

You are indeed correct, if the .50p per unit is what they go for.

I was stupidly working on a 50p increase.

I'll just slowly reverse out of here until I have something sensible to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭_Jamie_

MeatTwoVeg wrote: »
    €2 per can is very cheap.

It's not. It's on the higher end for mass-produced beer.

Home-brewing will definitely increase in popularity. I'm not sure why people are making out that home-brewed beer is swill. I don't drink beer but my beer-drinking friends rate it and some of them really know their beer. And I'd be very keen to try home-made cider.

My brother-in-law is making his own beer these days. The first batch cost €80 for 40 bottles. That cost was down to the initial outlay for all the equipment needed. €2 a bottle for that batch and it was likely much nicer than mass-produced beer. He is currently in the process of brewing batch number two. The outlay for this batch was €20. €0.50 per bottle. Not too shabby.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,651 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

_Jamie_ wrote: »
    It's not. It's on the higher end for mass-produced beer.

Home-brewing will definitely increase in popularity. I'm not sure why people are making out that home-brewed beer is swill. I don't drink beer but my beer-drinking friends rate it and some of them really know their beer. And I'd be very keen to try home-made cider.

My brother-in-law is making his own beer these days. The first batch cost €80 for 40 bottles. That cost was down to the initial outlay for all the equipment needed. €2 a bottle for that batch and it was likely much nicer than mass-produced beer. He is currently in the process of brewing batch number two. The outlay for this batch was €20. €0.50 per bottle. Not too shabby.

I can make a very decent batch of 30 bottles of wine for about 50 cent a bottle. Similarly the first and second batches cost more due to equipment purchases, but by the 3rd batch your making your money back very quickly.

Also depending on the kit you use you can even do it all in 7 days

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

But they're responsible so they'll either only get a small amount of it or - something that is seemingly anathema to most people here - come up with a mad idea like 'I can do without alcohol'.

Why the f*ck should they have to if they're responsible though? That's the whole point.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 861 ✭✭✭MeatTwoVeg

VinLieger wrote: »
    Great non-answer

Again I ask what METRIC do you base 2 euro for a can of beer is cheap?

The metric of €2 not being much money.

• Advertisement

Help!!!! wrote: »
    So do you agree that because of the number of deaths on Irelands roads we should put car insurance up by 100% & more going by size of cars engine?
    This would take the problem people off the roads because they would not be able to afford insurance

I've no idea what you're talking about. This thread s about MUP.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

If it is not much money, how will it deter anyone from buying alcohol?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 393 ✭✭Mortpourvelo

Ah, snobbery.

Grand.

Anyway as a responsible adult who is of age, not causing trouble and was last anywhere near an A&E 6 years ago (fall, broken bone - guaranteed it would have hurt A LOT less if I'd been on the beer) - I'm off to Dunnes to avail of their lovely offer on chilled Staropramen.

Five bottles (500ml) for ten euro.

Before the puritans on here tell me I can't and even if I could I shouldn't as I'm destroying society.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

€48 for a slab of 24 can hahahahah

Yeah, I don't think so. Just like anything when the price goes stupid high, options will present themselves via loopholes or black market.

• Advertisement

I can make a very decent batch of 30 bottles of wine for about 50 cent a bottle. Similarly the first and second batches cost more due to equipment purchases, but by the 3rd batch your making your money back very quickly.

Also depending on the kit you use you can even do it all in 7 days

Perhaps I've been unlucky but I've never had a home made wine that's been anything other than piss

Of course you can't tell the maker this.

You'll be able to pick up a decent bottle of French for less than a €10 even after MUP, the way some people are going on about it you'd swear the world was ending rather than a eminently sensible proposal to protect people from a deluge of cheap alcohol being pushed by the supermarkets.

I think a simpler solution would just be to have off-licenses stop selling alcohol to people in tracksuit bottoms, pajamas, belly tops, baseball caps, Man U or Celtic gear, or hoopy earrings.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Anyway as a responsible adult who is of age, not causing trouble and was last anywhere near an A&E 6 years ago (fall, broken bone - guaranteed it would have hurt A LOT less if I'd been on the beer) - I'm off to Dunnes to avail of their lovely offer on chilled Staropramen.

Before the puritans on here tell me I can't and even if I could I shouldn't as I'm destroying society.

Sure that's €2 a bottle, grand. What's your complaint again?

If it is not much money, how will it deter anyone from buying alcohol?

I'd agree. It should be higher.

Staropramen.

Mmm, skunked beer.

Im not asking if you personally consider 2 euro to not be a lot of money.

Thats not the question so for the third time how is 2 euro for a can of beer cheap?

pilly wrote: »
    Sure that's €2 a bottle, grand. What's your complaint again?

Thought we'd covered that ?

Dutch Gold is 2 quid a can - NO WAY is anything approaching decent going to be less than 3-50.

And the main point is I resent being lumped in with knobs who can't handle it.

Remember that kid in school that arsed around all the time ? Everything would get cancelled for the good kids cos of that little b**tard.

Why should us responsible drinkers pay more because of the knob who can;t handle his ale ? It won't stop him - he'll still drink as much but watch crime skyrocket to pay for it.

Im not asking if you personally consider 2 euro to not be a lot of money.

Thats not the question so for the third time how is 2 euro for a can of beer cheap?

Because €2 isn't a lot of money for a can of beer.

That's why it's cheap.

What don't you understand about that?

Mmm, skunked beer.

I like it!

Reminds of a bar where it was on draught and the first pint was "Pint of Staropramen please mate".

Pint 6 was point and "thaaaa".

:)

Perhaps I've been unlucky but I've never had a home made wine that's been anything other than piss

Of course you can't tell the maker this.

You'll be able to pick up a decent bottle of French for less than a €10 even after MUP, the way some people are going on about it you'd swear the world was ending rather than a eminently sensible proposal to protect people from a deluge of cheap alcohol being pushed by the supermarkets.

Ohh so we're back to this false narrative of bottles that are currently priced at 8-10 euro wont raise their prices in line with the cheapest of the cheap being forced to sell at 8-10 euro, so they can continue to keep their relative position in the market of being better than tesco own brand plonk?

• Advertisement

Dutch Gold is 2 quid a can - NO WAY is anything approaching decent going to be less than 3-50.

That's already the case, so no change there.

Ohh so we're back to this false narrative of bottles that are currently priced at 8-10 euro wont raise their prices in line with the cheapest of the cheap being forced to sell at 8-10 euro, so they can continue to keep their relative position in the market of being better than tesco own brand plonk?

I think we established you had no evidence that any narrative was false.

Oh wait, I forgot.
    The Journal said it would be.
    Right
    My apologies.

I think we established you had no evidence that any narrative was false.

Oh wait, I forgot.
    The Journal said it would be.
    Right
    My apologies.

And the independent and the examiner, not to mention the department of health who gave each of them the numbers and who are crafting the bill in the first place......

I like it!

Reminds of a bar where it was on draught

No problems on draught - skunking is cause by light getting at it through the pale green bottles. Seriously, crack a bottle and take an immediate sniff. That skunk smell is not a component of the draught version - all non-draught beer should be in dark bottles or cans.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭bear1

And the independent and the examiner, not to mention the department of health who gave each of them the numbers and who are crafting the bill in the first place......

You're wasting your time with that poster.
    You could throw all the links you want and he'd still be denying them.

I disagree, the "drinking problems" are myths from the government.
    Do you agree with minimum alcohol pricing?

Yes, but primarily because of the increased revenue, clawback of welfare :)

It's redistributing the redistributed money, more of my tax will go to services etc, brilliant IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

Augeo wrote: »

Yes, but primarily because of the increased revenue, clawback of welfare :)

It's redistributing the redistributed money, more of my tax will go to services etc, brilliant IMO.

No its not...It goes to the brewers/shopkeepers.

I disagree, the "drinking problems" are myths from the government.
    No its not...It goes to the brewers/shopkeepers.

lol classic.

Long may you think so :)

There is obviously increased revenue from the VAT alone ;)

Yes, but primarily because of the increased revenue, clawback of welfare

If that's what you want, we should just increase excise duty on alcohol and have the taxman collect the extra. That would cost me more than minimum pricing will, but I would support it. It is fair and discourages abuse by all.

Minimum pricing is designed to do two things:

1) Punish the poor
    2) Help the Vintners Association

The poor are not my favourite class of people, but I do like them more than Vintners, so I am not in favour of minimum pricing as policy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

lol classic.

Long may you think so :)

There is obviously increased revenue from the VAT alone ;)

Yes, VAT only. ;)

Advertisement