Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum alcohol pricing is nigh

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,079 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Is this definitely going to happen. Like is there a date set for its introduction.

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,552 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Our alcohol-related problems are not caused by price and won't be fixed by increasing the price.

It's sad that after all these years, there seems to be no other ideas for a way to address our alcohol problems, apart from just raising the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,079 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

But precisely because they are responsible it won't be much more.

I buy cases of Guinness cans at Xmas for 1 euro approx per can.

I still have them from last year.

Under MUP, the price would be 2.00 approx.

That's a 100% increase.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Geuze wrote: »

That's a 100% increase.

So you still have your cans. Problem solved. :)

But precisely because they are responsible it won't be much more.

What's your definition of responsible? I would consider myself responsible when it comes to alcohol. I cause no trouble, don't increase any costs to the government through crime, A&E visits or anything else. But I drink a could amount at the same time so doubling the price would be very noticeable to me yet I don't absolutely nothing to deserve having to pay more.

It's total nonsense and anyone defending it hasn't a clue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

What about road deaths? Why not increase car insurance by 100%? It will stop all the problem drivers so will reduce deaths & accidents

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Ban alcohol, problem solved.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 393 ✭✭Mortpourvelo

Giblet wrote: »
    Ban alcohol, problem solved.

Yeah worked in 1919 in the States didn't it ?

Plus are you going to replace the 100,000 jobs and 2bn revenue ???

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭DaraDali

Help!!!! wrote: »
    What about road deaths? Why not increase car insurance by 100%? It will stop all the problem drivers so will reduce deaths & accidents

Also put all sweets up 300% this will help with obesity in the same way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

shure lets go the whole hog and ban tampons. Women wont menstruate then as tampons wont be available to them, just like the alcoholic who wont drink cos it's to dear...:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Geuze wrote: »

That's a 100% increase.
    They're gone off by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Yeah worked in 1919 in the States didn't it ?

Plus are you going to replace the 100,000 jobs and 2bn revenue ???

We're trying to protect lives here, LIVES! This has nothing to do with money, shame on you for being so cynical! Ban alcohol and we can move towards a healthier utopia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭Oodoov

We should ban breathing, that way nobody will take up hospital beds.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

DaraDali wrote: »
    Also put all sweets up 300% this will help with obesity in the same way.

Only cheap sweets though. Lindt chocolates (which I buy) should not be affected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭_Jamie_

€48 for 24 cans of generic beer. That is mental, that is just mental. And I'm not a drinker really, so I'm looking at this from the outside.

Bulk buying of booze should mean discounts kick in. €2 per can when one is buying in bulk is robbery.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 393 ✭✭Mortpourvelo

Giblet wrote: »
    We're trying to protect lives here, LIVES! This has nothing to do with money, shame on you for being so cynical! Ban alcohol and we can move towards a healthier utopia.

I so hope that is industrial strength sarcasm!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 861 ✭✭✭MeatTwoVeg

_Jamie_ wrote: »
    €48 for 24 cans of generic beer. That is mental, that is just mental. And I'm not a drinker really, so I'm looking at this from the outside.

Bulk buying of booze should mean discounts kick in. €2 per can when one is buying in bulk is robbery.

€2 per can is very cheap.

People have been brainwashed by so much cheap alcohol that they think it's expensive.

I would put the MUP at around €2.50 or €3 and I presume that is the long term goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

You won't, because MUP will be introduced into both jurisdictions in the country at the same time, as this makes clear.

They will because the north will introduce a proper minimum price of £0.50p per unit. 1 litre of vodka costs £18(normal price not discounted). It contains 37.5 units. So that will increase the cost of 1 litre of smirnof by .75p

Ireland has decided on €1 per unit which takes 1 litre of vodka from €28(normal price) to €37.50 an increase of €9.50

So a Northern policy causes an increase of 75p and Irish policy causes an increase of €9.50

• Registered Users Posts: 6,540 ✭✭✭Allinall

They will because the north will introduce a proper minimum price of £0.50p per unit. 1 litre of vodka costs £18(normal price not discounted). It contains 37.5 units. So that will increase the cost of 1 litre of smirnof by .75p

Ireland has decided on €1 per unit which takes 1 litre of vodka from €28(normal price) to €37.50 an increase of €9.50

So a Northern policy causes an increase of 75p and Irish policy causes an increase of €9.50

You've just made all that up.

Allinall wrote: »
    You've just made all that up.

What exactly have i made up?

• Advertisement

MeatTwoVeg wrote: »

People have been brainwashed by so much cheap alcohol that they think it's expensive.

I would put the MUP at around €2.50 or €3 and I presume that is the long term goal.

Luckily it wont come in, but you are free to pay whatever you want for a can

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

I know, right? Who buys beer that's cheaper than €2? In cans, for God's sake?

Skangers, that's who. Minimum pricing might put manners on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,651 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

By what metric do you equate it as cheap?

By the metric most sensible people use IE "what does it cost in other countries" it is one of the most expensive if not the most expensive alcohol, in many cases by a multiple of 3 or 4

• Registered Users Posts: 6,540 ✭✭✭Allinall

What exactly have i made up?

That £0.50p X 37.5 (units) results in a 75p increase in a bottle of Smirnoff for starters.

Help!!!! wrote: »
    Luckily it wont come in, but you are free to pay whatever you want for a can

I don't drink cans, just bottles. I'd expect to pay for more than €2 for a decent ale.

VinLieger wrote: »
    By what metric do you equate it as cheap?

By the metric most sensible people use IE "what does it cost in other countries" it is one of the most expensive if not the most expensive alcohol, in many cases by a multiple of 3 or 4

Ireland is not like other countries in our unhealthy relationship with alcohol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Right2Write

Brings the whole water charge thing into light.

Just because a very small few can't handle their drink shouldn't mean it ruins it for the rest of us.

Up north we go.....

F*** them - time to start up the home brew and knock up a bit of the mountain dew.

Allinall wrote: »
    That £0.50p X 37.5 (units) results in a 75p increase in a bottle of Smirnoff for starters.

Go to tesco in the north and you will find 1 litre of smirnof vodka at £18

Go to any article on the norths introduction of minimum price and they state a £0.50p per unit.

1 Liter of smirnof Vodka contains 37.5 units.

0.50 x 37.5 = £18.75

£18.75 - £18.00 = £0.75p increase.

Is that straight forward enough for you??

• Registered Users Posts: 17,651 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Ireland is not like other countries in our unhealthy relationship with alcohol.

Great non-answer

Again I ask what METRIC do you base 2 euro for a can of beer is cheap?

• Advertisement

I don't drink cans, just bottles. I'd expect to pay for more than €2 for a decent ale.

So do you agree that because of the number of deaths on Irelands roads we should put car insurance up by 100% & more going by size of cars engine?
    This would take the problem people off the roads because they would not be able to afford insurance

Advertisement