Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips Hue FAQ

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭randombar

Any way of getting a switch to work on chandelier type lights?

Just set up hue today and I've already ordered 3 more coloureds.

Reckon a couple of strips now and I'll really impress.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭GopErthike

2 questions....

With the Hue switch can I set it up for "all off" for example?

If there is a power cut and I'm not home, do they all come on when power is restored? Or do they remember they were off?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I orderd the e27 colour starter kit 2015 by pure impulse 2 weeks ago cost me €134, anyone interested in taking it off my hands it's still sealed, would want a few quid for postage just want to get my money back, would be easier than returning to Amazon Germany.
    Theses are the 10w 2015 ones, there's newer 2016 ones out which are 9w currently £150 on Amazon.
    Bought the gu10 2016 starter kit and 2 x B22 colour bulbs from Amazon Spain instead.

Hope the mods don't mind, said i'd put it here if nobody wants them I'll return to Amazon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Patww79 wrote: »
    What fitting are they?

E27

• Advertisement

Sorry I wasn't trying to be smart,

I assumed most people knew the E was for Edison Screw and the B was for Bayonet, with the number being the diameter E27 = 27mm Edison screw, E14 = 14mm, B22 = 22mm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Shred

I don't Andy was being smart Patww79, most of us are familiar with the sizes and as you say it's quite easy to quickly find out. Either way, if you're not intersted in drunkmonkey's starter kit I know someone who might?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I've never looked at the numbers in my life as I always just replaced a bulb with the same bulb. I noticed lots of them while I was trying to buy on Friday but all the amazon listings had pictures anyway so I paid no heed.

I need bayonet ones anyway.

You can buy adapters cheaply so any size will fit.

You pop in like a bulb and then bulb fits in.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭randombar

I orderd the e27 colour starter kit 2015 by pure impulse 2 weeks ago cost me €134, anyone interested in taking it off my hands it's still sealed, would want a few quid for postage just want to get my money back, would be easier than returning to Amazon Germany.
    Theses are the 10w 2015 ones, there's newer 2016 ones out which are 9w currently £150 on Amazon.
    Bought the gu10 2016 starter kit and 2 x B22 colour bulbs from Amazon Spain instead.

Hope the mods don't mind, said i'd put it here if nobody wants them I'll return to Amazon.

So tempted, if I bought more now I might be divorced though. Hopefully I sell my phone in the next few days and have a bit of cash for ya.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Bayonet versus screw isn't accurate enough.

For instance bulbs in the US are screw, but they are e26 rather then e27 we have in Europe.

For instance I made the mistake of buying a Hue bulb in the US because I thought the same that it was screw in. When I got back I discovered that it was e26 so doesn't fit and more importantly is rated for use with only 110v power and not 220v like we have here in Ireland.

Of course then there are e14 "screw" bulbs which are also quite common in Europe, usually in chandeliers. And in bayonets you also have the smaller b15 bulb in the UK, in addition to the b22 that you are probably thinking of.

So precision is important with these sort of things, specially when these days people are buying from international websites.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Where are you based monkey?
    Are these the same as the ones that were on the Spanish amazon site posted earlier in the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Pretty sure the Amazon.ES ones were the newest ones, here's the link to the ones I bought:

https://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B01LZ8QYPI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Pretty sure the Amazon.ES ones were the newest ones, here's the link to the ones I bought:

https://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B01LZ8QYPI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Yea I bought them also.
    Just thinking I could cancel the order and take the ones drunkmonkey has above ,
    Save me waiting the week or 2 for them to arrive :-P
    If they arn't the same version I probably wait.

GopErthike wrote: »
    2 questions....

If there is a power cut and I'm not home, do they all come on when power is restored? Or do they remember they were off?

Can anyone shed any "light" on these questions please?

2 questions....

You can set a dimmer switch to turn all the lights off, Id say the tap switch can do similar.

In the event of a power cut, when power is restored all lights will come back on providing they were originally turned on at their traditional light switch (i.e. Energised)

You can set a dimmer switch to turn all the lights off, Id say the tap switch can do similar.

In the event of a power cut, when power is restored all lights will come back on providing they were originally turned on at their traditional light switch (i.e. Energised)

Ok thanks.

So, excuse my ignorance. That means if they are energised but in the off position by the app or whatever, when power is restored, they would then actually illuminate again until they are turned off by the app again?

So, excuse my ignorance. That means if they are energised but in the off position by the app or whatever, when power is restored, they would then actually illuminate again until they are turned off by the app again?

Correct, a power cut will essentially revert the bulbs back to standard bulbs and when they next receive power again, they will simply act as a regular bulb and come back on a standard white colour (regardless of what colour they were set to before the power cut)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,900 ✭✭✭paulbok

If they are in a scheduled scene or routine they will come on as the default white when power is restored but will change to that scene after a minute or two. Same if lights are controlled by a sensor, once it is triggered. You shouldnt have to do anything to get back to normal, save wait a few minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Dunjam

Amazon.es have the 2m Lightstrip Plus for €36.44.

Dunjam wrote: »
    Amazon.es have the 2m Lightstrip Plus for €36.44.

Damm you!!

9.07 delivery, couldn't just buy one, had to get 2 strips and a dimmer switch.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,685 ✭✭✭irelandrover

i just promised myself this morning I wouldnt buy anymore Hue products. now i have a lightstrip ordered and just got an email about 40% off all Hue products.

i just promised myself this morning I wouldnt buy anymore Hue products. now i have a lightstrip ordered and just got an email about 40% off all Hue products.

Where's this 40% off?

I still need 3 ceiling lights but not in stock anywhere.

Where's this 40% off?

I still need 3 ceiling lights but not in stock anywhere.

i have a friend working for philips

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

Care to share!

If he can get 3 of these I know how he can make a handy 40% profit on them.
    https://www.dmlights.co.uk/philips_hue_still_ceiling_light_white~0TUOZ

If he can get 3 of these I know how he can make a handy 40% profit on them.
    https://www.dmlights.co.uk/philips_hue_still_ceiling_light_white~0TUOZ

I'll check. It would all be pretty messy however where he buys then and sends them to me where i forward them on.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,927 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Group buy on some hue starter kits??... :p

...kinda serious like....

Advertisement