Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attack and subsequent manhunt in France.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,317 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Chuchote wrote: »
    It's not an agenda - but perhaps it's a sign that it would be sensible to seek news sources like independent.co.uk, afp.com and so on. French reports are calling it 'meurtre' (murder) rather than 'attentat' (terror attack).
    The 'gun that shoots steel balls' is actually an Airsoft BB gun, from the sound of it. Perhaps not typical of our ideological pals.

the OP linked to a reuters article that said
    A sources said there was nothing at this stage to suggest what he called a terrorist attack.
    . the problem is not the news source. the problem is the spin the OP tried to put on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,317 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Nobody listens when I do and op didn't share fake news, they have even changed the title of the post so I think they deserve a bit of slack.

it was a mod that changed the title not the OP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Thread title changed.

I have a 9 week old kitten that likes to walk across my keyboard. Does that count as a terrorist attack?

Just keep it away from the right 'alt' key :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Why all the excitement? Someone may have made a mistake! [shrug]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Advbrd

lawred2 wrote: »
    sorry

I was wrong. You're not a bit of a clown. You're a total clown.

Nice one. Worth the pending infraction.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Jesus this has descended into a trivial abyss of infighting and petulant name calling . I'll count my losses and I'll admit I was wrong.

Advbrd wrote: »
    Nice one. Worth the pending infraction.

You applaud that? grow up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Chuchote wrote: »
    Why all the excitement? Someone may have made a mistake! [shrug]

Because normal people (including me and you) with no iron (of any political side) in the fire, so to speak, can just let the specualtive title go and discuss the news, knowing it will be updated as more news comes in.

The latest seems to be:
    Un homme de 47 ans, qui a servi dans l'armée, était activement recherché vendredi après le meurtre d'une femme commis jeudi soir dans une maison de retraite à Montferrier-sur-Lez (Hérault), près de Montpellier, pour lequel les enquêteurs privilégiaient la "piste locale".

ie, A man aged 47 who served in the Army was actively sought on Friday after the killing of a woman committed on Thursday night in a nursing hoe in Montferrier-sur-Lez (in the Hérault district), near the city of Montpellier, for which the investigators are targeting a local investigation.

(My French isn't great, it's school French upgraded a bit with the help of Duolingo and chats on Skype, but that's more or less it.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭Goya

Suspecting the body of a woman covered in stab wounds is possibly the result of a terrorist attack is worse than every terrorist attack ever.

• Advertisement

Thread title changed.

I have a 9 week old kitten that likes to walk across my keyboard. Does that count as a terrorist attack?
    Well no of course - a human being stabbed to death and an ensuing police hunt would be closer though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

Flimpson wrote:
    Suspecting the body of a woman covered in stab wounds is possibly the result of a terrorist attack is worse than every terrorist attack ever.
    Not assuming that every car backfiring is an act of Islamic terrorism is worse that collaborating with the Nazis.

This is a fun game of false dichotomies you've made up isn't it.

The same row is going on in Twitter in the hashtag #montferriersurlez:

'Fachosphère:"Encore 1 musulman surement"
    'Gauche:"Tant mieux c pas un musulman"'

• Registered Users Posts: 24,305 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I will be asking for you to receive an infraction. I won't accept this. Attack the argument, not the person.

Ok Matilda.

Can I ask that you refrain from clickbait threads in future please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

In all effing fairness it was a terrorist attack numpties.....whoever that person who was stabbed must have been terrorised out of their mind.

It doesn't have to be politically or religiously motivated to instill fear in some poor unfortunate.

Some people, I don't know....

terrorism
    ˈtɛrərɪzəm/Submit
    noun
    the unofficial or unauthorized use of violence and intimidation in the pursuit of political aims.
    "the fight against terrorism"

Some languages, I don't know...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,242 ✭✭✭✭looksee

There you go, this is what a reasonable post looks like.

Why should the OP get to be the only one to post non-reasonable posts?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

looksee wrote: »
    Why should the OP get to be the only one to post non-reasonable posts?

:confused: two wrongs don't make a right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Baseless speculation is reasonable?

Surely you have more cop on than that? Just because a newspaper that thrives on fearmongering, xenophobia and rabble rousing throws in its terrorism card is no excuse for anyone to do the same, unless you want to be considered at the same level

It seems from this thread that some people just wanted it to be a terrorist attack. Must be a disappoint outcome.

Not assuming that every car backfiring is an act of Islamic terrorism is worse that collaborating with the Nazis.

This is a fun game of false dichotomies you've made up isn't it.
    I was using exaggeration because of the way some people are losing their absolute sh*t and even resorting to insults because of the thread starter's mistake. There is more concern about that than about the actual attack!

The person who posted about their kitten was using exaggeration also. Although that wasn't a great analogy because even when using exaggeration there's a grain of truth. They were making out this is a minor incident which it obviously isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

Flimpson wrote:
    I was using exaggeration because of the way some people are losing their absolute sh*t and even resorting to insults because of the thread starter's mistake. There is more concern about that than about the actual attack!

The person who posted about their kitten was using exaggeration also. Although that wasn't a great analogy because even when using exaggeration there's a grain of truth. They were making out this is a minor incident which it obviously isn't.
    People weren't losing their sh*t. They were telling OP to stop clutching at his/her pearls and perhaps wait until we knew what had happened before suggesting motivations. At which point people were accused of defending/excusing terrorism.

The alt righters have gone from being offended by some people not using the phrase Islamic terrorism to rushing to see who can signal their virtues first by crying Islamic terrorism every time someone gets a football to the groin.

• Advertisement

I see the 54-year-old woman who was stabbed to death is being described as 'elderly'. Hmph.

Her mourning husband is quoted as saying she had no problems with anyone. She was a nurse's aide rather than a laundress. Bizarre story.

People weren't losing their sh*t. They were telling OP to stop clutching at his/her pearls and perhaps wait until we knew what had happened before suggesting motivations. At which point people were accused of defending/excusing terrorism.

The alt righters have gone from being offended by some people not using the phrase Islamic terrorism to rushing to see who can signal their virtues first by crying Islamic terrorism every time someone gets a football to the groin.

I'm not an alt righter??????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Can we have the same attitude to when we are discussing "hate" crimes and so on, because its not just the right that leaps to label events to fit their narrative without evidence.

Additionally there has been occasional downplaying of terrorist acts in France and the killing of the Priest a few months ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Butters1979

Lot's of thought policing going on around after hours theses days.

-Look at this story, i think it's a possible terrorist attack
    -where's you proof?
    -I don't have proof, I didn't say i know, I said i think it might be
    -you can't say that,
    -i think i can
    -no you can't, silence, how dare you suspect something without absolute proof, shame, racist, alt right, islamphobia!

Backed up by the mods as well, welcome to after hours, boards new safe space. "The threads title offends me. Whaaa"

Guess what people, aside from a few white knights, most who read that article this morning thought about the possibility of terrorism, after some of the recent terrorist attacks and attempt to deflect and cover up by the media, I'm still not convinced it isn't. This is the world we live in, where attacks are the norm and will keep happening. And there's always a bunch of people who will deny it to the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

You're collateral damage in the trench wars of ideology, dude. :D

If don't conform to a certain groups way of thinking around here then apparently you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,530 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Lot's of thought policing going on around after hours theses days.

Thought policing me hole. It's clickbait subject policing.

Also ignoring posters who are directly name calling.

Thought policing is exactly what it was. He was not click baiting and you know it. You can look at OP's thread history to be sure of that.

Also moderating the OP's title but no issue with people calling him names.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,530 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Also ignoring posters who are directly name calling.
    Thought policing is exactly what it was. He was not click baiting and you know it. Also moderating the OP's title but no issue with people calling him names.

What? Where did this happen? Did you report the posts?

Advertisement