Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attack and subsequent manhunt in France.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Has his thread on boards given you fear? Then log off. Stop trying to deflect. A woman was tied up then stabbed to death. Whatever it is it's still horrible and quite possible terrorist related and all you want to do is censor posters. Go away.

It could just be a robbery gone wrong. But how about we discuss what's happening then instead of crying about the thread title. At this stage it seems like it's over.

The only deflection was from the OP, steering a news story in a way that suits their own agenda before possession of the facts.

Surely someone as attuned to the mechanics of deflection as yourself would have picked up on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭s4uv3

Jesus wept this thread is hurting my brain. The little bit of brain I have, at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Butters1979

The only deflection was from the OP, steering a news story in a way that suits their own agenda before possession of the facts.

Surely someone as attuned to the mechanics of deflection as yourself would have picked up on that.

My sarcasm detector is off the scale. Still not discussing the incident itself. Just disrupting discussion and ad hominem. Well done. The strange thing is I don't think it's terrorist related either. Just that you can't stand suggestion it might be.

Dailymail (I know but it's the only place I can find any details at all) are saying the suspect has possible links to the retirement home. Disgruntled sacked employee possible? The fact the suspect left instead of hanging around for a shoot out makes me think it isn't a terrorist attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,317 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

So I'm confused. Are you saying it's impossible it's a terrorist attack or you cannot call anything a possible terrorist attack without evidence. Although of course evidence would mean it was definitely a terrorists attack.

Why would you even mention terrorism if there was absolutely no indication that it was terrorist related? There doesnt have to be definitive evidence but there has to be something. Otherwise you may as well describe it as a possible alien attack as another poster did. Using the word "possible" in the thread title is just clickbait shoite.

My sarcasm detector is off the scale. Still not discussing the incident itself. Just disrupting discussion and ad hominem. Well done. The strange thing is I don't think it's terrorist related either. Just that you can't stand suggestion it might be.

Dailymail (I know but it's the only place I can find any details at all) are saying the suspect has possible links to the retirement home. Disgruntled sacked employee possible? The fact the suspect left instead of hanging around for a shoot out makes me think it isn't a terrorist attack.

So that's a yes then?

We have a word in Donegal for people that suggest what something may or may not be before they have any facts about it, quite a lot of words actually.

• Advertisement

So that's a yes then?

We have a word in Donegal for people that suggest what something may or may not be before they have any facts about it, quite a lot of words actually.

I don't give a f^ck what 'words' you have in Donegal. Still not discussing the incident.

Why would you even mention terrorism if there was absolutely no indication that it was terrorist related? There doesnt have to be definitive evidence but there has to be something. Otherwise you may as well describe it as a possible alien attack as another poster did. Using the word "possible" in the thread title is just clickbait shoite.

Because we've had several terrorists attacks recently and not many alien attacks. It's precedence which makes people think it's a possibly. Why do you care if people think it is or not. Surely we'll find out and once we know the truth that's ok right?

Because we've had several terrorists attacks recently and not many alien attacks. It's precedence which makes it a possibly.

do you automatically assume every act of violence is a terrorist act?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

The woman who was stabbed to death was a 54-year-old laundress; a man was shot dead. Police have identified a suspect. Sounds like love to me.

do you automatically assume every act of violence is a terrorist act?

No. Some do initially feel more likely than others but that's just conjecture.
    I didn't assume it was a terrorist attack. Read my posts.
    Again discussing other posters instead of the incident.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

its a retirement home for missionaries. Just admit that you invented the terrorist thing from nothing because the reuters article certainly doesnt use that word.

The very fact that the article mentions the quote about nothing to suggest terrorism at this point shows that it's a natural and expected thing for people to wonder about.

In the same day there were reports of a very serious plot having been foiled in France. How can you blame someone for wondering?

I read page one and page five of this thread and the beginning and end are both full of the same posters doggedly demanding to know why the OP mentioned terrorism. FFs be reasonable.

No. Some do initially feel more likely than others but that's just conjecture.
    I didn't assume it was a terrorist attack. Read my posts.
    Again discussing other posters instead of the incident.

so what about this particular attack made you think it is a possible terrorist attack? It was a single assailant with a knife.

Oh, and a car was found 200 metres from the nursing home with a prop gun (not a real gun but a fake that shoots steel balls) in a bag and other stuff inside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

France24 saying suspect identified,not linked to terrorism.

The very fact that the article mentions the quote about nothing to suggest terrorism at this point shows that it's a natural and expected thing for people to wonder about.

In the same day there were reports of a very serious plot having been foiled in France. How can you blame someone for wondering?

So the article says that there is nothing to suggest it is a terrorist attack and yet the OP uses the title of "possible terrorist attack". Do you not think that qualifies as clickbait nonsense in pursuit of an agenda?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,281 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

gitzy16v wrote: »
    France24 saying suspect identified,not linked to terrorism.

Did they rule out aliens?

So the article says that there is nothing to suggest it is a terrorist attack and yet the OP uses the title of "possible terrorist attack". Do you not think that qualifies as clickbait nonsense in pursuit of an agenda?

Why would it be click bait? Does he get paid every time someone reads the thread?
    so what about this particular attack made you think it is a possible terrorist attack? It was a single assailant with a knife.

I explained I don't think it is terrorism, however a religious target in a country that has had several and thwarted several more terrorist attacks recently certainly made me think it was a possibility. Why would a single assailant not be terrorist? Weren't the train attacks single assailants. Wasn't Nice?

couldnt resist

How on earth is it an agenda or sign of one simply to wonder if it might be *another* terrorist attack. On the same day a huge terror plot was exposed in France. And when it was a monastery, after the recent murder of a priest in France.
    No, I do not think it was what you think it was. I think you are possibly making a mountain out of a molehill. What do you expect the OP to say if you keep at him/her enough, anyway?

Why would it be click bait? Does he get paid every time someone reads the thread?

why else use that title?

• Advertisement

I read page one and page five of this thread and the beginning and end are both full of the same posters doggedly demanding to know why the OP mentioned terrorism. FFs be reasonable.

Baseless speculation is reasonable?

Surely you have more cop on than that? Just because a newspaper that thrives on fearmongering, xenophobia and rabble rousing throws in its terrorism card is no excuse for anyone to do the same, unless you want to be considered at the same level

• Registered Users Posts: 24,304 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Not really, if you want to go with childish ad hominem insults continue. I am not regret posting it.

sorry

I was wrong. You're not a bit of a clown. You're a total clown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

No mention of alien attack so could still be a possible alien attack.

Baseless speculation is reasonable?

Surely you have more cop on than that? Just because a newspaper that thrives on fearmongering, xenophobia and rabble rousing throws in its terrorism card is no excuse for anyone to do the same, unless you want to be considered at the same level

I'm just saying it's understandable and forgivable that they OP wondered about the possibility and if it wasn't normal for people to wonder in the current climate why would the police (?) have even bothered to point out that it doesn't seem like terrorism at the moment?

Again what's to be achieved by heckling the Op anyway?

It's not an agenda - but perhaps it's a sign that it would be sensible to seek news sources like independent.co.uk, afp.com and so on. French reports are calling it 'meurtre' (murder) rather than 'attentat' (terror attack).
    The 'gun that shoots steel balls' is actually an Airsoft BB gun, from the sound of it. Perhaps not typical of our ideological pals.

Chuchote wrote: »
    It's not an agenda - but perhaps it's a sign that it would be sensible to seek news sources like independent.co.uk, afp.com and so on. French reports are calling it 'meurtre' (murder) rather than 'attentat' (terror attack).
    The 'gun that shoots steel balls' is actually an Airsoft BB gun, from the sound of it. Perhaps not typical of our ideological pals.

There you go, this is what a reasonable post looks like.

Again what's to be achieved by heckling the Op anyway?
    With all the craic with fake news over the past couple of months do you not think ordinary people like you and me should pull people up on it whenever we have the chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

lawred2 wrote: »
    sorry

I was wrong. You're not a bit of a clown. You're a total clown.

I will be asking for you to receive an infraction. I won't accept this. Attack the argument, not the person.

With all the craic with fake news over the past couple of months do you not think ordinary people like you and me should pull people up on it whenever we have the chance?

Nobody listens when I do and op didn't share fake news, they have even changed the title of the post so I think they deserve a bit of slack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,530 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Thread title changed.

I have a 9 week old kitten that likes to walk across my keyboard. Does that count as a terrorist attack?

Advertisement