Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Israeli wildfires, possible arson attacks

Options
  • 24-11-2016 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭

Seems to have gone virtually unreported.

Following on from intifadas electronic, boulder-based and stabby/vehicular homicide (like Nice), Israel is now dealing with deliberately set fires. From friends in Israel I am reading reports of up to 200. They ask why their country is burning.

''Israel’s police chief, Roni Alsheich, told reporters that arsonists were suspected of setting some of the fires for political reasons. “It’s safe to assume that whoever is setting the fires isn’t doing it only out of pyromania,” he said. “If it is arson, it is politically motivated.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/nov/24/russia-turkey-cyprus-send-firefighting-planes-to-israel?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

They are really a paranoid country

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

You forgot to quote this bit.
    Despite claims by Israel’s security minister, Gilad Erdan, that 50% of the fires were “apparently arson”, the Israel police spokesman Micky Rosenfeld said investigators had not yet been able to determine whether any of the dozens of fires countrywide had been set deliberately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

They will just use it as an excuse to steal more Palestinian land.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Grayson wrote: »
    You forgot to quote this bit.

I chose to quote one bit, obviously the entire thing is there to read.

We don't officially know yet-that is why I said ''possible arson'' in the thread title.

Paranoid country..what a strange thing to say considering their experience with suicide bombings and the rest, and the fact that there is celebration from some people on Twitter with the hashtag Israel is Burning.

Personally sad to see it happen but no accounting for bad minded folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

For some reason I can imagine Israeli military forces going into the gaza strip with flame throwers

• Advertisement

They will just use it as an excuse to steal more Palestinian land.

I would hope further conflict does not ensue. By the way they are human beings living in Israel too.

I'm inclined to agree with Julie Lenarz
    ''#Israelburning soars to the third most popular hashtag worldwide - the perpetual, fanatical, irrational hatred towards Israel is repulsive.''

I would hope further conflict does not ensue. By the way they are human beings living in Israel too.

Unfortunately the behaviour and attitude of their government and military makes that easy to forget from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,699 ✭✭✭buried

"Can't be Global warming, that's a Chinese myth, it must be terrorism. Release the hounds"

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

buried wrote: »
    "Can't be Global warming, that's a Chinese myth, it must be terrorism. Release the hounds"

Fire breathing hounds?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Do the Israelis like ever fúck off?

Unfortunately the behaviour and attitude of their government and military makes that easy to forget from time to time.

You are, of course, fully entitled to your opinion.
    I'm just wondering would you feel the same about any other nation of people elsewhere whose government you perceive to have behaved unjustly in times of conflict?

Do the Israelis like ever fúck off?

I think that was the general idea of Israel in the first place. Not far enough for you eh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

I was thinking the whole middle east was gone up in a fireball, no such luck.

You are, of course, fully entitled to your opinion.
    I'm just wondering would you feel the same about any other nation of people elsewhere whose government you perceive to have behaved unjustly in times of conflict?

Oh I do. Id feel the same way about the Syrian government, US action in Iraq war, Russia with Ukraine, Myanmar and its ethnic cleansing.

Oh I do. Id feel the same way about the Syrian government, US action in Iraq war, Russia with Ukraine, Myanmar and its ethnic cleansing.

Would your response and comments be different were it Myanmar in this piece of news?

Without wanting to get into a discussion about the comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Other countries with appalling human rights records are universally condemned for thier actions. Israel? Not so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,699 ✭✭✭buried

Would your response and comments be different were it Myanmar in this piece of news?

Without wanting to get into a discussion about the comparison.

Most other countries don't blame naturally occurring wildfires in dry, high temperature and high wind weather areas as "acts of terror" though W

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

Other countries with appalling human rights records are universally condemned for thier actions. Israel? Not so much.

I am more interested in how the poster would feel were it another country esp. one whose government they don't agree with.

You will understand if I refrain from tearing into Israel in a tit for tat under the circumstances but everyone else can of course feel free to work way.

buried wrote: »
    Most other countries don't blame naturally occurring wildfires in dry, high temperature and high wind weather areas as "acts of terror" though W

They are accustomed to acts of terror and seem not to have come to that conclusion fully yet, or on a mere whim. We will have to wait and see what the conclusion is.

• Advertisement

I am more interested in how the poster would feel were it another country esp. one whose government they don't agree with.

You will understand if I refrain from tearing into Israel in a tit for tat under the circumstances but everyone else can of course feel free to work way.

You seem hung up on that. Why would my feelings change?

I'll just say though I think you're overlooking the likes of the BDS movement which gained fairly strong traction here and only applies to Israel.

You seem hung up on that. Why would my feelings change?

I wondered whether you would have more concern/less 'epicaricacy' about it if it wasn't Israel burning.

I wondered whether you would have more concern/less 'epicaricacy' about it if it wasn't Israel burning.

probably still hovering around the same really.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 806 ✭✭✭getzls

They are really a paranoid country

Not really considering the Islamic countries surrounding them want to destroy them.
    Fire Jihad.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I chose to quote one bit, obviously the entire thing is there to read.

We don't officially know yet-that is why I said ''possible arson'' in the thread title.

Paranoid country..what a strange thing to say considering their experience with suicide bombings and the rest, and the fact that there is celebration from some people on Twitter with the hashtag Israel is Burning.

Personally sad to see it happen but no accounting for bad minded folks.

You can't say it's possibly arson without including the fact that there's no evidence for arson.

That article is weird. In every other country where arson is committed it's generally committed by citizens. In Israel there's no evidence to suggest arson but they automatically think it's non jews doing committing arson.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Sure them lads are mad for burning bushes

Grayson wrote: »
    You can't say it's possibly arson without including the fact that there's no evidence for arson.

That article is weird. In every other country where arson is committed it's generally committed by citizens. In Israel there's no evidence to suggest arson but they automatically think it's non jews doing committing arson.

It's suspected by some including the police chief. Arrests have already been made. I don't think I've ever seen the police lay out their reasons for suspecting something early in an investigation like this. I assume something was witnessed.

I'm not sure that they automatically think it is non jews doing the arson but the notion that it could be a nationalist arsonist does make some sense given the current tensions, and it would seem to me that the widespread celebration does nothing to diminish the plausibility.

I'm not sure why the phrasing of the article is of greater concern either to be honest.

Also, I don't think it says that a non citizen is suspected. I might have missed something.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

getzls wrote: »
    Islamic countries surrounding them want to destroy them.

No they don't. Israel has peace deals with Jordan and Egypt for decades. When was the last time Lebanon or Syria initiated a conflict against Israel?

The only group calling for the destruction of Israel are Hamas who exist in Israel's enormous open air prison camp called Gaza.

• Advertisement

Not for the want of trying, J.T

Advertisement