Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your favourite unsolved mystery?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Rippington

Not sure if this one was said already but it has always interested me.

The Hinterkaifeck Murders.

Between finding foorsteps in the snow leading to the farm and none away,a maid thinking it was haunted and then they all get lured to the barn and killed one by one with a pickaxe! :eek:

Then its thought that the person stayed there afterwards keeping the farm going as smoke was seen coming from it and cattle fed.

Creepy!

The wiki page is here

This one has more details and pics
    That is deeply disturbing alright .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,509 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

BUMP!!!!

Just remember this great thread that has all the interesting story's. But watched the TV3 programme that Donal McIntyre did on the disappearance of Trevor Deely last night. Very sad, I was always of the opinion that he had slipped and accidentally fallen into the river after the bad weather when he decided to walk home. But after watching the programme, I'm not so sure, there defintely is a darker scenario to his disappearance. Terrible on the family who have had to go through all the years not knowing what happened to him..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

Mysterious "ghost boats" — wrecked wooden ships with decaying corpses on board — are washing up on the shores of Japan.

Nearly a dozen boats carrying decomposing bodies were found off the country's northwestern coast in just one month, the coast guard said in December. The first boat was found in October, and in November officials discovered 10 bodies in three boats at Ishikawa prefecture. Later, they found another boat with six skulls and a body that was nearly intact.

Several signs point to North Korea. Most of the boats carried equipment and signs written in Korean, and one was had a scrap of cloth resembling a torn bit of the North Korean flag. However, authorities have not been able to confirm their origin or why the people on board perished.

More than 30 boats were found in 2015. There were 65 the year before and 80 in 2013.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

MadDog76 wrote: »
    Mysterious "ghost boats" — wrecked wooden ships with decaying corpses on board — are washing up on the shores of Japan.

Nearly a dozen boats carrying decomposing bodies were found off the country's northwestern coast in just one month, the coast guard said in December. The first boat was found in October, and in November officials discovered 10 bodies in three boats at Ishikawa prefecture. Later, they found another boat with six skulls and a body that was nearly intact.

Several signs point to North Korea. Most of the boats carried equipment and signs written in Korean, and one was had a scrap of cloth resembling a torn bit of the North Korean flag. However, authorities have not been able to confirm their origin or why the people on board perished.

More than 30 boats were found in 2015. There were 65 the year before and 80 in 2013.

There was an article in a German paper quite a while back on those - the most likely explanation is that it's North Korean fishers. The explanation provided was that as food shortages are becoming more severe, more and more people try and take up fishing. They go on rather long trips, hoping for enough catch not just to feed themselves but sometimes the entire community and then sell some on, and take great risks for it. Many are inexperienced, and the small, wooden boats aren't really made for venturing out that far. Fuel is also rationed, so it's possible that some simply have run out.

Edit : Found the article, it's quite in-depth, including interviews with defected North Korean fishermen. But in German, I'm afraid :
    http://www.zeit.de/2016/24/japan-geisterschiffe-tote-seeleute-nordkorea

MadDog76 wrote: »

Horrific.

What a ghoulish country, where people would risk the possibility of taking such risks of dying in agony, presumably of thirst/hunger, to put a meal on the table.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

BUMP!!!!

Just remember this great thread that has all the interesting story's. But watched the TV3 programme that Donal McIntyre did on the disappearance of Trevor Deely last night. Very sad, I was always of the opinion that he had slipped and accidentally fallen into the river after the bad weather when he decided to walk home. But after watching the programme, I'm not so sure, there defintely is a darker scenario to his disappearance. Terrible on the family who have had to go through all the years not knowing what happened to him..

Yeah that's strange Mike I always thought the poor young man fell into the Canal but watching last nights program is after kind of changing my mind.The man seen walking behind him in the C.C.T.V. just' looks too off for me.Sixteen years later and I still often wonder about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,509 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

Yeah that's strange Mike I always thought the poor young man fell into the Canal but watching last nights program is after kind of changing my mind.The man seen walking behind him in the C.C.T.V. just' looks too off for me.Sixteen years later and I still often wonder about him.

Yeah the way the man in the CCTV camera moves, its like he's stalling and waiting for a moment to sort of do something, it is creepy. The timeframe that passed did'nt help either as I think it was said, that it was around 72 hours later that a missing persons investigation was launched and that is valuable time lost in order to get an actual investigation in place and to organise a search party.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,383 ✭✭✭cml387

I watched it but I was not impressed.
    No new information at all.
    One thing that strikes me is that he is not walking very steadily in the last cctv image and that whereas his colleague diplomatically described him as "tipsy" he was a guy who liked a drink and had been out since 4pm.

I think he got lost and either fell from a height or somehow fell asleep in some location and died of exposure. The fact that his body wasn't found may suggest he was collected with the refuse by accident and dumped.

It's very sad, and having been that soldier when I was young and carefree, it could happen to any of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Not sure about this :cool:

Fact or fiction?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

LordSutch wrote: »
    Not sure about this :cool:

Fact or fiction?
    True.

In the sense that the UK had a Black Knight which was developed into the Black Arrow which did launch a satellite.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

MH370 .... still.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭bazza1

Ryan Tubridy..........why?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

Elisa Lam. What more could we ask for?

What are these noises that are still supposedly being reported across the world?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Kauto0709

Stigura wrote: »
    Elisa Lam. What more could we ask for?

Yeah a pretty strange one alright. Sounds like the bipolar playing up in the video but how she ended up in the tank??

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,046 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Zodiac. San Francisco. Unsolved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I just watched the Trevor Deely programme after reading the posts here. I always thought it was the accepted theory that he had an accident but apparently not. I would tend to take Donal MacIntyre with a pinch of salt but it seems several connected with the investigation believe a simple accident to be unlikely. Puts it all in a whole new light.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

probably been talked about but did they ever get to the bottom of the mary cileste? was always fascinated with that one when i was younger!

Depp; Marie Celeste has ~ sadly ~ been well and truly sorted.

Google it. There's some site where the guy's gone through all the Lloyds type papers. Checked up on the Captain. The works.

Sorry, I can't remember the details now, to offer a synopsis. But, yeah; Cracked wide open. Actually no mystery at all. Something to do with the Captains daughter being sick, or something?

Huzzaaaarr!!! Here!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

childhood ruined :D

Or...

Excellent! :) It won't allow me to copy /paste. But, see the first paragraph under " Conclusions ", on the site I link to.

Scientists have now Proven then exactly what my man postulated.

Entire mystery blown clean out of the water.

Depp wrote: »
    childhood ruined :D

LMFAO!!! Exactly!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Kauto0709

Stigura wrote: »
    Depp; Marie Celeste has ~ sadly ~ been well and truly sorted.

Google it. There's some site where the guy's gone through all the Lloyds type papers. Checked up on the Captain. The works.

Sorry, I can't remember the details now, to offer a synopsis. But, yeah; Cracked wide open. Actually no mystery at all. Something to do with the Captains daughter being sick, or something?

I can't see anything in those links about the captain's daughter being sick?

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Cosmicfox

What are these noises that are still supposedly being reported across the world?

Oh yeah,the sky trumpet thing. I read some theory that it's just machinery from construction sites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭The Wolverine

Ah so the whole bloody sword and table perfectly set was from a short Conan Doyle story on it.

The testimony of the ships boarders said everything was all over the place and wet from being tossed about in damp weather and rough seas.

The sextant and chronometer were gone so they obviously launched the life boat, but I think the most horrifying thing is they must have left the line tied to the ship from the life boat intending to get back to her once they watched her for a time and saw she wasn't going on fire or sinking.

It seems the rope line snapped and they would have most likely watched in horror as she sailed away from them with no way to catch her :(

Kauto0709 wrote: »
    I can't see anything in those links about the captain's daughter being sick?

No. Possibly not. And my memory isn't an engine of perfect recall either. That's why I wrote " or something? " ;)

Sorry about all this. I was born and raised in a time long before every Tom, Dick and Harry could, at a few key strokes, dissect and throw back at one every word one uttered.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Portals in time, I hope!

• Advertisement

It seems the rope line snapped and they would have most likely watched in horror as she sailed away from them with no way to catch her :(

Should have had a rake of slaves on the oars. And Cozy Powell on the drum! :D

Advertisement