Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hair transplant diary (ongoing)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Would there be an issue with Rooney taking any of the drugs needed to stop further hair loss in terms of them affecting his performance? Could that be a reason why it doesn't look as good as it should.

It is advised to take finasteride after a HT surgery. Side effects are mostly sexual, so I doubt the drugs affected his football skills at least. But he could have easily not taken them due to personal sexual or mental health issues.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Simon2015

Would there be an issue with Rooney taking any of the drugs needed to stop further hair loss in terms of them affecting his performance? Could that be a reason why it doesn't look as good as it should.

The drug can cause serious cognitive problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

sky88 wrote: »
    Just on Rooney his hair always seemed farily thin so I always thought that that had something to do with how his looks

I'd rather look at Fabregas HT as it's more the temple that he got done. Rooney was nearly bald when he got his first one.

Cesc's hair looks a bit knotty since he got it done. The OP's is looking damn good and a much better job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

Hi OP how is your hair doing now, i recently just gave up fin after 3 years as it was not helping, my hair is really getting me down at the moment, wish i had the balls to get transplant like you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,774 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

iebamm2580 wrote: »
    Hi OP how is your hair doing now, i recently just gave up fin after 3 years as it was not helping, my hair is really getting me down at the moment, wish i had the balls to get transplant like you.
    Hi iebamm,
    It's pretty good, very similar to my most recent post on page 4. Happier with the right side than the left side, but these things are never perfect. I tend to post those pics after I've gotten a haircut, so I'll do another in a couple of weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

You still taking fin or minox speedboat?

You still taking fin or minox speedboat?
    Both, although I think I will wean myself off fin soon. Will likely go for another op on my crown in a few years (I have about 2000 healthy grafts remaining that I can use) and live off that and minox!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭Passenger

What dosage were you on if you don't mind me asking? Any side-effects from fin?

Passenger wrote: »

What dosage were you on if you don't mind me asking? Any side-effects from fin?
    1mg per day. Ended up getting gyno surgery 2.5 years ago although doctor said it was pseudogynecomastia and didn't contain breast tissue, and I had been using fin for about 7 years beforehand with no noticeable sides. So maybe it was the fin, maybe it wasn't but have cut down the dosage since and going to start weaning off it entirely.

• Advertisement

One of Ireland's most respected Doctors said this about the Finasteride.

b901b59be9.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Relikk

Yeah OK Simon, we get it. Thanks.

17-month pics below. Pretty happy, things fairly identical to my last image post. Left side could be better, but in general seem to be maintaining new hair as it happened a year ago.
    HfZgpQU.jpg?1
    xoXpy2Y.jpg?1
    1ZHqsRp.jpg?1
    OZwW7mI.jpg?1
    JfDt7vk.jpg?1
    cX2Nl

17-month pics below. Pretty happy, things fairly identical to my last image post. Left side could be better, but in general seem to be maintaining new hair as it happened a year ago.
    HfZgpQU.jpg?1
    xoXpy2Y.jpg?1
    1ZHqsRp.jpg?1
    OZwW7mI.jpg?1
    JfDt7vk.jpg?1
    EKZLSHE.jpg?1

Messed up the photo upload process originally, but unable to delete this follow-up post. :ermm:

Good stuff. Are you still using Regaine? Have you started weening off the Finasteride?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,318 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

What a great job!

Good stuff. Are you still using Regaine? Have you started weening off the Finasteride?
    Thanks. Weaning off the Finasteride, still using Regaine - won't be going off that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 adz88

Absolutely fantastic, delighted it looks so well. I'm planning on going abroad after the summer and your hairline was very similar to how mine looks. I'm 30 next year and have been gradually losing my hairline since about 23. So I've always known this may be an option down the line. It's gone to the stage where letting it grow out is only making it more noticeable and it's something I'm always thinking about everyday. Your story has definitely helped me make my decision easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 azMark09

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

azMark09 wrote: »
    The surgeon I went to charged €2 per graft for an FUE procedure. For comparison, a popular clinic in Dublin charges €10 per graft.

So I paid for 2250 grafts, and I had a small discount (I think it was €200-300) for the post-op photos they took immediately after the procedure. In total it was about €4250 or so.

I'm a little bit confused on pricing here because I came back from my consultation 3 days ago from one of the big names in Dublin and I was quoted €2,500 for 1,300 grafts.  If that's the case then Turkey is not all that cheap? I have looked into this before and from what I've read Turkey is supposed to be a lot cheaper than €2.00 per graft?

For a couple of hundred more I think the better option is to go Irish. I was also informed after 9 months if I needed more grafts to thicken my hair it would be done for free.
    That sounds remarkably cheap to me, and the idea of simply giving away more grafts for free down the line seems like madness. The clinic I mentioned in the previous post (*cough* Blackrock *cough*) is still charging €10 for a FUT procedure, while most of the best surgeons in Europe only use FUE at this point. 
    I've no idea how a clinic in Ireland would be able to undercut a competitor by offering 80% cheaper grafts, but rather than look at the savings and make a decision based on that, try to research the doctor who will be performing the surgery. Check out as many forums, word of mouth, before/after pics you can find. Those grafts are one-time-only extractions and can't be cloned, so you have to make sure they're in safe hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,323 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

If azmark09 is thinking of the same place that I'm thinking, they're offering FUE as opposed to the FUT available at *cough*

Rikand wrote: »
    If azmark09 is thinking of the same place that I'm thinking, they're offering FUE as opposed to the FUT available at *cough*
    If it's an Irish clinic with a great doctor, good online recommendations, and is offering FUE grafts at only €2, then by all means go for it. I would also advise FUE (which I went for) over FUE due to the lack of scarring.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 azMark09

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I know HR-BR is expensive but to be honest, as someone who just has Finasteride prescribed there, I'm genuinely impressed with the effort they make despite the fact that a simple annual appointment relatively speaking earns them nothing whatsoever. The surgeon (I think his name is Joe) always goes out of his way to have a good lengthy conversation and is a very pleasant, down to earth man who never struck me as a salesman.

I know on Groupon or a while back there was a place in Dublin offering something like 800 or 1k grafts at heavily discounted rate of 1K or something similar - saw it on bargain alerts here on boards. Would love to know how anyone got on with that one! Can't remember what place it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭St1mpMeister

Hi lads, I just had the FUE op done and was recommended to get some minoxodyl to encourage speed of the new follicle growth.

So where is the cheapest place to get it at the mo? Regaine from boots UK with Parcel Wizard?

I guess I need about 6-9 months worth to cover the growth period.

cheers

So where is the cheapest place to get it at the mo? Regaine from boots UK with Parcel Wizard?

Answered your own question there. :) This was the most affordable option for me a few years ago anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭St1mpMeister

Answered your own question there. :) This was the most affordable option for me a few years ago anyway.

Cool, and once the new follicles have grown out, I'd like all remaining DHT-affected hair to fall out so I can get the rest replaced (donor area is great thankfully but I still have pending areas where hair will fall out over next few months/years and was too early to do it now).

So does hair fall happen pretty soon after stopping Regaine?

Also foam or liquid better?

So does hair fall happen pretty soon after stopping Regaine?

Also foam or liquid better?

Well foam is less greasy anyway. I'd recommend that option. It will fall out relatively quickly once you stop using it though it might depend on the individual's coverage and DHT levels, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Pug160

Hello fellas. I'm currently thinking about getting a hair transplant done myself but I still have a lot more questions than answers at this point. The biggest question of all is: do you need to take, and keep taking finasteride (or anything else which may have a similar effect) for the transplant to work long term? I seem to be hearing different opinions. Having read some of the horror stories about finasteride, it's really something I don't want to take. Although with that being said, I am currently taking saw palmetto and astaxanthin. I did this out of curiosity rather than any real expectation..
    Another really big question for me is what clinic to actually go to. I don't know anyone who has had this procedure done so I can only really try my best to look at reviews and get advice on forums like this.

Advertisement