Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Female student beaten up in Maynooth(NO SPECULATION)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Definitely does. I think the majority who are dismissing it are the 'well they wanted equality' brigade.

Maybe it is just not everyone buys into the idea that guys would just shrug off a fractured eye socket and dislocated jaw because they played football when they were a kid.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 861 ✭✭✭MeatTwoVeg

Del.Monte wrote:
    People in general are being attacked far more in recent years - that isn't a golden age fallacy.

Wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Advbrd wrote: »
    Yeah, so is mine. Maynooth is a good university town. I lived there for eight years, before I had kids and spent a lot of time on the p1ss there with no hassle at all. I have two nieces currently in Maynooth. Don't let this put you off. It is a random attack and I doubt you will hear of similar in Maynooth in the next 20 years.

Ah yeah I know you're right but you can't help but worry when you hear this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

The only thing that would prepare you for getting a punch in the face is getting a punch in the face.

No amount of contact sport will prepare you for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Advbrd

And that would do what for law and order ? as I was answering Op who says law n order is falling down and then wants to hang folks from trees.

Do you really think that would solve it ?

Massive improvement. Maybe not trees, gallows would be better. Scumbags removed from society can only be a good thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Just goes to show how desensitised people are to violence against males.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Did you ever think of asking yourself why it hits a vein more with you than were the victim male. Wouldn't have anything to do with conditioning now would it?

Call me crazy but I have the same amount of empathy for the victim of the following recent assault (for example) as I would have had were they female.

http://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/man-left-scarred-after-savagely-12030762

It's absolutely conditioning. Conditioning of thousands of years where men were expected to be the primary protector of their family.

Combined with modern pressure on women to be ever more perfect in their appearance. Not dismissing the impact of a facial injury on a male - but there's no denying that the psychological effect would be greater for a female.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Mr. FoggPatches

A young girl gets a hammering and boards posters have managed to turn it into a men v women thread.
    Christ

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

psinno wrote: »
    Maybe it is just not everyone buys into the idea that guys would just shrug off a fractured eye socket and dislocated jaw because they played football when they were a kid.

My post is up to interpretation so that fair enough. Not what I said (or intended to). If you've taken hits before due to hobbies, lifestyle etc... it'll linger in your head less from a mental POV. Physical injuries hurt and are gotten over equally between the sexes. No difference there. This is just to try to clarify my point and it is only my POV. I don't want to get into a quote war due to me not articulating myself properly.

Del.Monte wrote: »
    How about getting the Minister for Justice on to the radio to explain what's happening and keep on her case over it. Ditto the Garda Commissioner if she has any time to spare away form sending gmails. Examples need to be made and these scumbags should be hunted down and then sent down for a long, long time.

Seriously? You seem to have had a very extreme reaction to this particular crime.
    I'm not sure it requires the minister for justice to keep the public updated on every little detail of the investigation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,806 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Advbrd wrote:
    Massive improvement. Maybe not trees, gallows would be better. Scumbags removed from society can only be a good thing.

There's no proof that things such as capital punishment reduce crime, your probably better off tackling the root causes of criminality to try reduce crime

• Registered Users Posts: 15,753 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I can't speak for the 60's but things are certainly much better now than they were 20 years ago.

Husbands attacking wives and kids...all behind closed doors and mostly unreported.
    Kids getting state-santioned beatings, sorry 'discipline' (and worse) in schools and wall of silence and veneer of respectability drawn around it. Truly a golden age...

There may have been less overt violence, but to say it didn't exist is poppycock. There will always be and always has been scumbags in society.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

psinno wrote: »

I don't think anyone believes that, or that anyone said that's the case.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    There's no proof that things such as capital punishment reduce crime, your probably better off tackling the root causes of criminality to try reduce crime

I cannot claim to have any facts and figures to back it up but logically' if the criminal elements are no longer part of society then they are no longer able to carry out crime. It can be argued that someone will always take their place: remove them also.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 PoorAuldDivil

A young girl gets a hammering and boards posters have managed to turn it into a men v women thread.
    Christ

India could declare war on Pakistan tonight and after a few replies the thread would turn into the usual Gender Wars.

Advbrd wrote:
    I cannot claim to have any facts and figures to back it up but logically' if the criminal elements are no longer part of society then they are no longer able to carry out crime. It can be argued that someone will always take their place: remove them also.

Criminality has always existed and always will, I know a retired parole officer, he told me it is not possible to rehabilitate all criminals but our current rehabilitation rate is roughly 40%. That is a sigh of a failing system. You 'll find most criminals suffering from a set of very complex issues, the most common would be mental health issues, personality disorders, behavioural problems, learning disabilities etc etc. These issues are further compounded by failures in our social systems to adequately deal with these complex issues.

Criminality has always existed and always will, I know a retired parole officer, he told me it is not possible to rehabilitate all criminals but our current rehabilitation rate is roughly 40%. That is a sigh of a failing system. You 'll find most criminals suffering from a set of very complex issues, the most common would be mental health issues, personality disorders, behavioural problems, learning disabilities etc etc. These issues are further compounded by failures in our social systems to adequately deal with these complex issues.

I have become hardened in my attitude to criminality. I used to be a bit more touchy feely. Regardless of their problems, they do not have the right to commit crime. If you choose to break the law you pay the penalty which in this country is generally way too soft.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

MeatTwoVeg wrote: »
    Wrong.

Your proof of this please and not dragging up stats from the 1840/50s when the country was in a state of agrarian/political unrest.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Just goes to show how desensitised people are to violence against males.

Of ffs, I would feel just as strongly about a man being beaten up, but this is the latest case and particularly brutal I haven't the time or energy to start a thread on every attack.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Advbrd wrote: »
    I have become hardened in my attitude to criminality. I used to be a bit more touchy feely. Regardless of their problems, they do not have the right to commit crime. If you choose to break the law you pay the penalty which in this country is generally way too soft.

I feel the same albeit towards violent crime mostly. Okay, I know shoplifting etc. is still crime I kind of understand why people would do it from desperation.

It's the random violence that is not born from desperation that I just don't feel there is any redemption from.

• Advertisement

Advbrd wrote:

Your change in attitude is understandable when you hear stories such as this one, and other stories of repeat offenders. It's very frustrating for all, a trip to your local court house is eye opening. Of course nobody has the right to commit a crime but when you start looking into complex root causes such as autism, adhd, dyslexia, bi-polar and even more more complex behavioural problems such as sociopathic and even psychopathic behaviour, the mystery starts to come clear. We need to start to address these complex social issues if we are to truly start reducing crime rates. We are getting better but have a long way to go. There's tons of other root causes of criminality as well including environmental issues, none of these issues are easily solvable and of course criminal acts need to be punished. It won't be solved on boards but it is a fascinating problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Raised in Moyglare myself and shocked by what has happened.

I hope they find the scum that has done this.

We really need to look at some real deterrents to stop scum like this attacking our young men and women.

I'd be all for 20 years hard labour for a first offence of this magnitude and then throw away the key for anything else. Don't just lock them in a cell with their playstations and TV's.

I think we have surrendered to the ultra liberals and pc do gooders though.

We'll hear all of the usual BS now about the perp having a hard upbringing, involved in drugs etc.

We need to take back our streets and let everyone feel safe. We are quick enough to protest over water charges etc. The next time we see a lenient sentence for this type of crime we should be put protesting.

Hope the young one makes a full recovery but I think the mental scars will be her biggest battle.

Your change in attitude is understandable when you hear stories such as this one, and other stories of repeat offenders. It's very frustrating for all, a trip to your local court house is eye opening. Of course nobody has the right to commit a crime but when you start looking into complex root causes such as autism, adhd, dyslexia, bi-polar and even more more complex behavioural problems such as sociopathic and even psychopathic behaviour, the mystery starts to come clear. We need to start to address these complex social issues if we are to truly start reducing crime rates. We are getting better but have a long way to go. There's tons of other root causes of criminality as well including environmental issues, none of these issues are easily solvable and of course criminal acts need to be punished. It won't be solved on boards but it is a fascinating problem.

You complete idiot.

Are you actually linking Autism to crimes such as this? Idiotic.

It's the likes of you that need to realise sometimes people who commit these crimes are pure scum and need to be dealt with as such.

Root causes my hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Christ

It's a horrendous horrendous assault but according to some on here an 18 year old guy should just kinda shrug it off and get on with it. That's what's rubbing some people up the wrong way.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

fizzypish wrote: »
    I have had lasting problems from it myself but I do think that men to women, A higher % of guys can shrug off the mental issues (I'd not in that % so I do see your point). Physically, a broke bone or a concussion is the same regardless. People can't walk that off. I'm derailing the thread a tad so to reiterate back to the OP, I do think a vicious assault on a woman, child or elderly person hits a vein. I'm not saying that a guy can just walk it off, that would be sexist but to me, this particular case does ring a bit rougher.

That explains the higher rates of suicide among men so.

You complete idiot.

It's the likes of you that need to realise sometimes people who commit these crimes are pure scum and need to be dealt with as such.

Root causes my hole.

thank you for you mature response! yes autism has been linked to criminal behaviour, im sure theres plenty of peer reviewed work on this. of course not all those who suffer with autism commit crimes but if you do have autism, you have a higher chance of ending up in the world of criminality than those that dont. i have seen this happen. i have also been informed that if you have a learning disability such as dyslexia, you to have a higher chance of ending up in the world of criminality than somebody that doesnt. i was told a study was done in a scottish prison some time ago and they found 60% of the population was dyslexic. please be aware im generalising and i know as much as anybody about this crime in particular but yes i suspect the criminal of this story is more than likely suffering from some of the complex issues i have mentioned before. im sure theres plenty of peer reviewed research available on the weird wide web related to these issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Horrible assault, and I think it is worse than the 'everyday' stuff. The every stuff doesn't even get reported on.

Also dislike the gender angle here - being a man wouldn't make this any less painful or scary.

Also dislike the 'playing sport gets you used to rough stuff' angle - I was a local football player and got rough tackles and all that and was also an amateur boxer and obviously got punched in the face plenty of times. That is all stuff in a controlled environment, and there are rules. That doesn't count for anything when it's on a dark street, with no referee to wave them off.

thank you for you mature response! yes autism has been linked to criminal behaviour, im sure theres plenty of peer reviewed work on this. of course not all those who suffer with autism commit crimes but if you do have autism, you have a higher chance of ending up in the world of criminality than those that dont. i have seen this happen. i have also been informed that if you have a learning disability such as dyslexia, you to have a higher chance of ending up in the world of criminality than somebody that doesnt. i was told a study was done in a scottish prison some time ago and they found 60% of the population was dyslexic. please be aware im generalising and i know as much as anybody about this crime in particular but yes i suspect the criminal of this story is more than likely suffering from some of the complex issues i have mentioned before. im sure theres plenty of peer reviewed research available on the weird wide web related to these issues.

Absolute baseless and ignorant comments not backed up by any evidence other than "I have heard" and "I was told".

Idiot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

You complete idiot.

Root causes my hole.
    Absolute baseless and ignorant comments not backed up by any evidence other than "I have heard" and "I was told".

Idiot.

Just because you don't agree with someone doesn't make them an idiot ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Christ

Didn't you know? This incident of a young woman being horribly beaten is a great example of sexism against men. Somehow.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement