Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek: Beyond

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,473 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

ScumLord wrote: »
    And as we know the petrol in that motorbike would have been completely useless if it had been sitting there for even a few months.

nah, it'll be advanced future petrol of course...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

nah, it'll be advanced future petrol of course...

Space petrol is what is used in space motorbikes. The shelf life of space petrol is based on dramatic effect rather than chemistry.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Space petrol is what is used in space motorbikes. The shelf life of space petrol is based on dramatic effect rather than chemistry.
    The captain of that ship is probably looking down from heaven watching kirk zip around and is finally feeling vindicated for lugging that bike, all the tools needed for the regular maintenance checks and the fuel around for all those years. Was it on the bridge too?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,643 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Yea I'd agree.. I meant to say "have a hard time thinking of this series.... etc" (edited accordingly :)) but I'll probably need a rewatch to see if I like it better than the first (which itself took me 2 run-throughs to be objective about)

There is a lot to like in this film which surprised me after the "featuring Rhianna" trailer. Put it this way... I'd watch this again whereas Into Darkness is beyond (no pun intended :p) salvaging for me

^^ I agree with what you said here. Into Darkness is just terrible.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

The captain of that ship is probably looking down from heaven watching kirk zip around and is finally feeling vindicated for lugging that bike, all the tools needed for the regular maintenance checks and the fuel around for all those years. Was it on the bridge too?

There is no heaven.

But otherwise, yes presumably.

In the future, being a basketcase will be perceived as diversity.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Em,
    Did the captain of that ship not try and kill Kirk and everyone else who escaped thanks to said Motorbike.

or did I miss some sarcasm?

Finally got to watch it. Despite all the spoilers, that most of turned out, not to either be true or relevant, I thought it was decent enough.

The Sound thing was explained, made sense. I thought all the talk of Sulu being Gay was pointless. It should make no difference anyway, but truth be told, if it had not have been said out loud, I don't even think I would have noticed. The other ha;f was so minorly involved, he could have been a husband, brother, au pair, family friend, it really was a non thing, which I have to say I am glad of, why they felt the need to mention it in the build up is a mystery to me.

As far as the new Trek goes, as good as it is going to get in regards relating to the old trek. The characters were the closest they have ever been to their old trek counterparts.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I think that's my main problem with the whole series. I liked the first one and parts of Beyond but all three are like a modern band attempting a cover version of The Beatles, upping the tempo and slapping a load of hip hop all over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I thought it was average. A movie or series is only as good as it's "bad guy". The problem is that the bad guy was weak and uninspired. I think Idris Elba is great but he can only work with what he's given. This has always been the problem with Star Trek - Old and new. We all remember Kahn and The Borg and V'ger. But what was Klingon Doc Brown's name? Or Spock's brother or Malcolm McDowell or F Murray Abraham. I can't even remember Peter Weller's name in the last one. Oh it was Marcus. I only remember that because of his daughter - he was very bland too.
    The motorbike scene was just terrible. Pointless, stupid and poorly done. I did laugh hard at the Beastie Boys scene. Thought that was very funny.... I only hope that's what they were going for.

I actually like Quinto as Spock. But didn't like his "horsh*t" comment. Cringeworthy. (Reminds me of Data swearing and going "YESS!" in one of the other movies).

Uhura as usual just there to look worried.

Pegg's accent..... And he has a Scottish wife?

I actually like Pine as Kirk. As someone said, he's pretty immature (Too immature to command) but I like that. Bit of fun.

Needless to say: Urban's McCoy just fantastic as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,716 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I think the only thing Beyond will be remembered for is that it was significantly better than Into Darkness, but averge overall.. but one point:
    But what was Klingon Doc Brown's name? Or Spock's brother or Malcolm McDowell or F Murray Abraham.

Kruge, Sybok, Soren, Ruafu :p

(that's - honestly - without Googling.. yes I'm a nerd.. and/or have seen those films far too many times!) :pac:

• Advertisement

watched it over the weekend, what a trainwreck!
    The only person I could even be bothered to care about is McCoy, the script was a mess and the action tedious and overblown like most films of the last couple of years.

as for the surfing of the wave of exploding ships :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Kurn

I really enjoyed it. Thought the 'sound thing' was a joke, and some of the CGI made my head hurt, but as far as the reboot goes - not bad...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

OK - I've seen Beyond.

Not bad. Not bad at all. I definitely think it's a big improvement on Into Darkness and something of an improvement on the Lens Flare episode. ;)

Yes. It is more like proper Trek. I disagree with those that said the story was a mess. It was there and was told by the end.

Pine and Urban portrayed their characters very well and I could almost feel Shatner and Kelley coming through. Quinto doesn't play Spock at all well. I say this as Nimoy's Spock is by far my most favourite Trek character. There was no chemistry between Kirk and Spock, though there was some between Spock and Bones.

Some specifics:
    • Death of the Enterprise - I felt nothing for it. I balled my eyes out in ST:TSFS when she blew (and still get a lump to this day when I see it), but for this ship, I have no attachment to it.
    • Why did the shells of people that Krall took energy from all look like a gaunt Anton Yelchin? I kept saying to myself "Did they kill him off here?" :confused:
    • I liked the way they had the swarm come for the Franklin and look like a surfers dream wave! :D
    • I had a little tear or two at the photo.
    • The end credit sequence was very reminiscent of a TOS ending (though they had stills back then as opposed to this visual feast).
    • I had the entire cinema to myself by the time the dedication came on (only about 10 people in the cinema for that sitting). I had a little cry then.

I'm happy to have seen it.

I re-watched this at the weekend in 3D, just in case it added anything (not really - the 3D-ness wasn't very in-your-face).

My opinion on it has gone down.

On mature reflection the story wasn't really articulated very well, including Krall's backstory (I seemed to think it was crystal clear when I first saw it, but not now).

The motorbike, the music WMD (although I liked the song), Kirk & Spock keeping secrets from each other ... a lot of stuff and nonsense.

I also really did not like this view of the Enterprise:
    400541.png
    It made it seem almost anorexic, having the nacelles in so close to the body.

So I don't think I will be re-watching this any more. I've seen each of JJ Trek's twice.

I've seen the TOS movies dozens of times and will do so again.

I've seen the TNG movies probably about 10 times and would watch most of them again.

Not the KT movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

I also really did not like this view of the Enterprise:
    400541.png
    It made it seem almost anorexic, having the nacelles in so close to the body.

It looks like a bicycle part.

The Enterprise has no sense of scale or heft in the new universe.

The movie Enterprise's always had a sense of heft. Like they were big vessels.

0da972d1ede850a63baeb94966e08139.jpg

enterprise-and-satellite.jpg

latest?cb=20060705221701

Now it's lost all of that.

hqdefault.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I still don't feel like we've ever had a good on-screen look at the ships in the new films. Certainly nothing like TMP or even your original movie shots above. Nothing to say "wow, look at THIS!".

It's all whizzing, zooming, spinning past, surrounded by lens flair, or "what if the camera is a missile crashing along/into the hull!".

It's like they don't know what to do with the thing.

quad_red wrote: »
    The Enterprise has no sense of scale or heft in the new universe.

The movie Enterprise's always had a sense of heft. Like they were big vessels.

Now it's lost all of that.

especially with the new one supposedly being absolutely massive in comparison
    2009enterprise.jpg

2009enterprise.jpg

That's ****ing ridiculous. I get that coming across the Nerada would prompt bigger ships but the power plants and metallurgy alone required are beyond that era

• Registered Users Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

So which is it???
    400637.JPG

The short one is the one they planned, the long one is the actual size when you look at the likes of the shuttle bay and certain design features.

Long story short, it was meant to be the short one, but artistic license meant that some of the shots are impossible with that size and you end up with giant enterprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Watched it myself and it's better than Into Darkness but the 2009 reboot is still the best of the three.

I also got a real sunshine (2007) vibe with certain elements of the story.

• Advertisement

That's ****ing ridiculous. I get that coming across the Nerada would prompt bigger ships but the power plants and metallurgy alone required are beyond that era

We're talking about a civilisation capable of propelling spacecraft at thousands of times the speed of light and of converting matter and into energy and back again at will. I never assumed that the size of the ships had anything to do with technological limitations. They're just based on function, mission specification, that sort of thing.

We're talking about a civilisation capable of propelling spacecraft at thousands of times the speed of light and of converting matter and into energy and back again at will. I never assumed that the size of the ships had anything to do with technological limitations. They're just based on function, mission specification, that sort of thing.

The material stress would be immense, can't just ignore momentum stresses. I imagine that's their "structural integrity field" but the material will determine the field strength required. So need super materials or super energy generation. Also stresses if warp power is down and maneuvering at sub light, with regular fusion power

The power output to create warp fields that size, weapons, sheilds, integrity field and everything else?
    That's touted in TNG as being possible due to its state of the art warp core, 70 years after

Ms

CramCycle wrote: »
    The short one is the one they planned, the long one is the actual size when you look at the likes of the shuttle bay and certain design features.

Long story short, it was meant to be the short one, but artistic license meant that some of the shots are impossible with that size and you end up with giant enterprise.

Artistic license my ar... I think they were just to lazy to do it with the smaller ship and to mean too. They made the ship bigger because it cost less and saved them money from having too do special effects and close ups of the slightly smaller ships. Its not like the smaller version of it is small so I think it was just a lame excuse for the fact that they really did not know how to do it. I could be wrong but that just some of what I think of it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

Watched Beyond, or should I say I watched the first half hour. Appalling movie.

It's really sad that CGI, and the overuse of it, is the primary focus of most sci-fi movies these days.

It's true what they say that the 3rd is always the worst. And if it was true of any movie franchise that proved it, it was Beyond.

Ms

learn_more wrote: »
    Watched Beyond, or should I say I watched the first half hour. Appalling movie.

It's really sad that CGI, and the overuse of it, is the primary focus of most sci-fi movies these days.

It's true what they say that the 3rd is always the worst. And if it was true of any movie franchise that proved it, it was Beyond.

Have you gone to "Arrival" yet. I think would enjoy it as its a clever interesting film.

As for Beyond I don,t think its as bad as you say. I think its the best of the rebooted films. I went to see it twice in the cinema and would have went to see it a third time. I nearly did.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

AMKC wrote: »
    Have you gone to "Arrival" yet. I think would enjoy it as its a clever interesting film.

As for Beyond I don,t think its as bad as you say. I think its the best of the rebooted films. I went to see it twice in the cinema and would have went to see it a third time. I nearly did.

No I haven't. Trailer looks interesting.

I thought the first reboot of Star Trek was excellent, despite the fact I didn't like the idea of a reboot. Can't believe anyone would think Beyond was as good or better than 2009 but there you go !

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Yeah this film is meh.

Very forgettable for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Jan_de_Bakker

Star Trek from 2009 was fantastic - it just got it right.

Into Darkness was a bit of a mess, and this while an improvement was still way off the 2009 film.

Silly actions scenes but the ending slightly improved things - we need a good new series and a total reboot character wise.

I don't think they got any of them just right, and in my opinion, it wasn't any overriding major flaw. They were so close but there was something in all of them that made me not like it as much as I should have.

1. I enjoyed it up until the end,that sequence with Spocks ship just did not sit right. this said, best of the three.
    2. Why did they make him Kahn, absolutely no need, ruined an average leave your brain at the door movie.
    3. Somebody made Mass Effect the movie, and stuck the Enterprise in there.

• Advertisement

2009 was Star Wars lite FFS

Any pretense of the Sci in sci-fi was dropped.
    Time and distance meant nothing, plotholes abound, red-fecking-matter, cadet captain, and enough random chance for it to be guided by some kind of omnipresent influence (maybe created by some microbes or something?)

Advertisement