Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phoenix Park Tunnel

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

What was done at Tara?
    devnull wrote: »
    New lift,, re-signing, changing the PIS font from Red to white? :)

Just the lift came from the PPT funding.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Does the €13.7 include the resignalling project, and the improvements allowing the turn back platform?

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭willbeuptuesday

Can I now get a trading from Adamstown to Connelly station via this tunnel.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,686 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Does the €13.7 include the resignalling project, and the improvements allowing the turn back platform?

No
    Can I now get a trading from Adamstown to Connelly station via this tunnel.

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭AngryLips

I'm amazed that some of our infrastructure is so under-utilised. Rush hour only services will always suffer because they don't have the frequency to become a reliable service that commands mindshare. I don't understand why Docklands station, PPT, Navan line and Maynooth line suffer from such poor services.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,919 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

AngryLips wrote: »
    I'm amazed that some of our infrastructure is so under-utilised. Rush hour only services will always suffer because they don't have the frequency to become a reliable service that commands mindshare. I don't understand why Docklands station, PPT, Navan line and Maynooth line suffer from such poor services.

Commuters are too subserviant to those who will never ever have to commute like them.

The decision makers/policy makers drive straight into a free car park somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,310 ✭✭✭cgcsb

When you see dozens of bus routes running jam packed parallel to the Maynooth line you have to question what technical skills are being employed in central government and the semi-state companies. Perhaps the organisation of transport services should be outsourced to somewhere with a few more brains.

cgcsb wrote: »
    When you see dozens of bus routes running jam packed parallel to the Maynooth line you have to question what technical skills are being employed in central government and the semi-state companies. Perhaps the organisation of transport services should be outsourced to somewhere with a few more brains.

The people who make the decisions should experience commuting too.

That is not happening. If it was, things would be very different I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,310 ✭✭✭cgcsb

The people who make the decisions should experience commuting too.

That is not happening. If it was, things would be very different I think!

Don't think that's the solution. In Germany, France and Spain the relevant government ministers don't actually commute either way. The problem is when Irish politicians knock on doors nobody says ' No , Paschal Donohoe, I will not vote for you again because millions was wasted by your department commissioning more reports and redesigning the Metro North and DARTu schemes while people suffer extremely difficult commutes.' Irish people ask if he can get them a medical card or if he can sort out some disagreement they might have with the council.

cgcsb wrote: »
    Don't think that's the solution. In Germany, France and Spain the relevant government ministers don't actually commute either way. The problem is when Irish politicians knock on doors nobody says ' No , Paschal Donohoe, I will not vote for you again because millions was wasted by your department commissioning more reports and redesigning the Metro North and DARTu schemes while people suffer extremely difficult commutes.' Irish people ask if he can get them a medical card or if he can sort out some disagreement they might have with the council.

OK. That is a problem with multi seat constituencies. Not for this thread really.

List systems in Europe obviate the potholer fixers that abound here.

Still, the decision makers do not experience real life for commuters. It is obvious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,122 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

OK. That is a problem with multi seat constituencies. Not for this thread really.

List systems in Europe obviate the potholer fixers that abound here.

Still, the decision makers do not experience real life for commuters. It is obvious.

You're bit ahead of your time here. Please wait until regular posters actually realise that Joe Public doesn't give a fiddlers fart about PT come election time. Furthermore, the electorate come from a well established rural background that depended on and wanted the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

AngryLips wrote: »
    I'm amazed that some of our infrastructure is so under-utilised.
    A classic of that particular genre is the 6 million euro Kishogue railway station. It was due to be opened during the Celtic Tiger once a housing estate was built nearby, but the estate was never built so the station remains closed. "Kishogue" might sound like the middle of nowhere, but within about 20 minutes walk is 20-30,000 people in Lucan.

hmmm wrote: »
    A classic of that particular genre is the 6 million euro Kishogue railway station. It was due to be opened during the Celtic Tiger once a housing estate was built nearby, but the estate was never built so the station remains closed. "Kishogue" might sound like the middle of nowhere, but within about 20 minutes walk is 20-30,000 people in Lucan.

And Adamstown is within 25 minute walk......

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

GM228 wrote: »
    Just the lift came from the PPT funding.

Why would ppt funding be used for a lift in one of the busiest stations in Dublin? Why was the lift not funded as part of the dart network shutdown a decade ago?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Jamie2k9 wrote: »

And Clondalkin / Fonthill on the other side of it. Only half of which I believe they use too.

And Clondalkin / Fonthill on the other side of it. Only half of which I believe they use too.
    Pennyhill to Adamstown railway station is 47 minutes per Google maps.
    Pennyhill to Fonthill railway station is 35 minutes.

Neither are particularly realistic for much of new Lucan.

hmmm wrote: »
    Pennyhill to Adamstown railway station is 47 minutes per Google maps.
    Pennyhill to Fonthill railway station is 35 minutes.

Neither are particularly realistic for much of new Lucan.

Come be honest here, opening the new station would maybe cut 5-10 minutes walk at most. Not practical and TBH not an area where I would feel safe once day light goes and I expect many would agree,

• Registered Users Posts: 68,147 ✭✭✭✭L1011

and TBH not an area where I would feel safe once day light goes and I expect many would agree,

And Fonthill is?

Or Connolly for that matter!

L1011 wrote: »
    And Fonthill is?

Or Connolly for that matter!

From an isolation prospective, Fonthill isn't much better and is likely shown by lowish usage apart from a few commuters.

Opening this station makes no sense at all, who is going to walk 20+ minutes to get an hourly train service...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Adamstown station is a 25 minute walk from parts of Adamstown! And no sooner had it opened that DB carpet bombed it with a frequent bus route.

• Advertisement

Opening this station makes no sense at all, who is going to walk 20+ minutes to get an hourly train service...
    The tunnel changes everything - now there is a train service that runs directly into the city centre it makes a very attractive option for many Lucan commuters. The bus service is reasonably good, but it cannot compete with the train for comfort & the reliability of departure and arrival times.

Some estates are 20 minutes away, there are an awful lot which are probably no more than 10 minutes away. Adamstown railway station is a long way from Adamstown let alone Lucan ;), and most people I know would be uncomfortable with the safety of walking to Fonthill.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭Vic_08

n97 mini wrote: »
    Adamstown station is a 25 minute walk from parts of Adamstown! And no sooner had it opened that DB carpet bombed it with a frequent bus route.

Aren't you the same person also complaining about the lack of connections, but in this instance a frequent bus route linking to a train station is a bad thing?

DB and Irish Rail don't seem to want to work together.

Feeder buses to train stations are not generally available. Same with feeders to the Luas.

Why is that? Oh yes, the fares they each would get.

Honestly, is PT for the user or the company profits or what!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Anyone know what are the price changes for tickets from Sallins to Grand Canal Dock?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

DB and Irish Rail don't seem to want to work together.

Feeder buses to train stations are not generally available. Same with feeders to the Luas.

Why is that? Oh yes, the fares they each would get.

Honestly, is PT for the user or the company profits or what!

Routes are controlled by the NTA now

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭kc56

Anyone know what are the price changes for tickets from Sallins to Grand Canal Dock?

At present it's the fare to Heuston plus the city centre add-on. From 1st Dec, Sallins is in the short-hop zone, so max singe fare of 4.90 with Leap Card to anywhere in the zone. Fares not yet on IrishRai web site but machine work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭mullyboyee

On the 6.50 from Hazelhatch &Celbridge atm and it's one of the proper train carriages (same as the Cork intercity ones)

Huge change from the rancid sweatbox of a commuter carriage that runs from Maynooth via Leixlip at the same time.

I wonder if they might swap these carriages at some stage as this train is VERY quiet with lots of seats available.

I hope not for my sake

• Registered Users Posts: 68,147 ✭✭✭✭L1011

mullyboyee wrote: »
    On the 6.50 from Hazelhatch &Celbridge atm and it's one of the proper train carriages (same as the Cork intercity ones)

Huge change from the rancid sweatbox of a commuter carriage that runs from Maynooth via Leixlip at the same time.

I wonder if they might swap these carriages at some stage as this train is VERY quiet with lots of seats available.

I hope not for my sake

Those are not suitable for heavily loaded services - there would be war if they tried to use them on such. Albeit they already do on M3 services

mullyboyee wrote: »

I hope not for my sake

They are most likely safe for 12-18 months at least however I wouldn't expect much capacity increase once it fills up in coming months.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

L1011 wrote: »
    Those are not suitable for heavily loaded services - there would be war if they tried to use them on such. Albeit they already do on M3 services

They are not cut out for any standing at all, they are intercity trains with next to zero provision for standing and should be kept for intercity services and lightly loaded services.

The commuter trains, should be kept for commuter services since there is plenty of provision for standing on these trains.

However Irish Rail being Irish Rail, you can never know what will happen :)

Advertisement