Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Billy McCarthy RIP

Options
  • 20-11-2016 9:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭

All over Facebook that Billy McCarthy has died suddenly. I don't have a link just yet.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭independent11

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

What a shock, RIP he will definitely be missed from the local airwaves.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

rip, thats a shock

• Registered Users Posts: 37,773 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Heard he was sick a few weeks ago but didn't knw it was that serious. Big Shock

Rip thoughts and his prayers go to his family, friends and all his colleagues

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭91wx763

Boringly conservative ("I'll run it past the legal people...."), couldn't work the mixing desk and the ultimate product of Ray Burke's local radio disaster.

But a very nice man. People didn't hear the "real" him on the radio.

RIP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Alpha Centauri

RIP Billy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Awful news, talk about making your mark in Waterford, all you had to say was Billy and people knew what you were referring to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

He had been off the air quite a bit this year (dunno if that was related to health though), while he was never my cuppa he was pretty much the ID of WLR and he's a big loss for them as well as his loved ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

RIP Billy.

A very funny and accurate description of the typical complaints Billy had to deal with every day- a great tribute to him!

Sorry to hear of this very sad news, condolences to his family and friends. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

Very sad to hear RIP Billy one of our own.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CaLZETYkmU

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

RIP Billy, how old was he. I wud have said only late 40's

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

danjo-xx wrote: »
    RIP Billy, how old was he. I wud have said only late 40's

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭The Bowling Alley

RIP Billy. Thought he was much younger than 62

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

There'll be a tribute show on the Deise AM slot from 10 tomorrow for those of you interested.

An awful sad day for Irish radio with Billy's passing, not just Waterford radio although it'll obviously be the locals who'll be more affected.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭taytobreath

rest in peace, the mornings wont ever be the same without that voice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

I personally wouldn't agree that he'll be a loss to radio.

He appealed to a certain group of radio listeners and that's it.

In my opinion he was nothing more than a nuisance on radio.

He was no Gerry Ryan and that's for sure!!!

Still though, too young to die and may he rest in peace!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭jimmyw

His last broadcast two weeks ago.

https://soundcloud.com/wlrfmwaterford/deise-am-7-nov-2016

He didn't always appreciate other peoples opinions I thought, but alot of Waterfordians loved him, so he had a biggish following.

A bloody shock to a lot of people though.RIP.

jimmyw wrote: »
    His last broadcast two weeks ago.

https://soundcloud.com/wlrfmwaterford/deise-am-7-nov-2016

He didn't always appreciate other peoples opinions I thought, but alot of Waterfordians loved him, so he had a biggish following.

A bloody shock to a lot of people though.RIP.

A sober Father Jack so!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭thesultan

I always thought he was very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

RIP. Sad he died so young.

He probably was an institution in Waterford alright. However I know from personal experience he was not pleasant to other people. Probably should leave it at that. Again, RIP, it is too young to die.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭dzilla

I personally wouldn't agree that he'll be a loss to radio.

He appealed to a certain group of radio listeners and that's it.

In my opinion he was nothing more than a nuisance on radio.

He was no Gerry Ryan and that's for sure!!!

Still though, to young to die and may he rest in peace!

Je5us, somethings are probably best not said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭91wx763

The outpouring of grief being orchestrated by WLR is actually embarrassing. Books of condolence ? Constant sombre music like some eastern bloc dictator had died ?

I'd be of the firm belief that if poor Billy was in a situation to have an opinion he wouldn't have had all this panto.

WLR at its finest. Big JNLR figures for the last time because whether you liked him or not Billy got those.

The hope from the radio point of view is that the Eamonn Keane contributor is engaged, he is organised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Whenever there's a rip thread on boards, someone always have to come in with some stupid or disrespectful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

91wx763 wrote: »
    The outpouring of grief being orchestrated by WLR is actually embarrassing. Books of condolence ? Constant sombre music like some eastern bloc dictator had died ?

I'd be of the firm belief that if poor Billy was in a situation to have an opinion he wouldn't have had all this panto.

WLR at its finest. Big JNLR figures for the last time because whether you liked him or not Billy got those.

The hope from the radio point of view is that the Eamonn Keane contributor is engaged, he is organised.

I think its only a fitting tribute to Billy McCarthy. How could they not give him a tribute like such? He was the voice WLRFM, and one of the pioneers of radio in Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭invara

It is very sad to hear that he is gone. Radio in Ireland is very special, most countries do not have the vibrant local and national conversation that is here. And Billy was a great example of that warm friend on the radio, that staves of loneliness, and makes people feel part of a community. The response to his passing has a very natural character, big JNLR numbers are a sign of how strongly he connected with people. His show went toe-to-toe with RTE and Newstalk and usually won. So his passing is very sad.

dzilla wrote: »
    Je5us, somethings are probably best not said.

Does that mean that you agree with me?

I would agree completely although I don't listen to local radio I can only imagine

the 'grief' being broadcast across the airwaves.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Wow. Where to begin with this.

Their biggest and most talked about presenter passed away. He had the biggest listenership of the station and by far the biggest engagement with listeners for nearly 30 years. What were they supposed to do? Say 'Billy's died lads, sorry about that'?

No. They, along with his listeners, choose to remember him. He was clearly a popular character in there. Beat were giving him loads of tributes as well, and I don't ever remember them mentioning WLR.

I get the impression you didn't like Billy McCarthy and/or his show, but fact of the matter is a lot of people did. Just because you didn't doesn't mean you can sh*t on what WLR are doing to remember him.

Listen to the Deise AM tribute show. Billy was the man who married the Managing Director and his wife, he sang at a lot of weddings for those guys. He clearly means a lot to them.

Listen to Geoff Harris choking up at nearly every second word and Theresane O'Reilly clearly in tears as she speaks. And by the way, you don't know what Billy would want. Judging by the tributes for him and his love for the arts, music and theatre, he probably would have loved it.

If you really believe the bile you're coming out with, go down to WLR and tell them how you feel. And while you're there, look at the staff's faces, look at that nearly full book of condolence, and then you'll realise how much he meant to them. If you're not going to do that, keep those disgraceful, disrespectful comments to yourself instead of hiding behind a keyboard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭iphonehead

I wouldn't expect everybody to like Billy, and everybody is entitled to their opinion but my god I 100% agree with the previous reply. If you don't like Billy or WLR that's fine with all of us I'm sure, but they have done a great remembrance of Billy for those of us who do care and who do miss him. It will be interesting to see how many remember you or for that matter care when you are gone. Typical waterford begrudging crap. No change there.

Advertisement