Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dearly departed....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

To me Bread was so real and true to life. Wonderful to be able to put that on the screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

She was a great writer and brought a lot of joy to peoples' lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

Saddened by the passing of "the greatest " - Muhammad Ali has died aged 74 after receiving treatment for respiratory problems

RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I knew by the news yesterday that it was close but still so sad today. I admired Ali on so many levels. R.I.P.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

He introduced humour to professional sport. People loved to watch him being interviewed as much as see him fight. Back in the '60's people who never had any interest in boxing suddenly became interested.
    'Legend' is a word that is looseley used nowadays to describe almost anyone famous who passes, but Muhammed Ali was a true legend.
    RIP

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Louis Stewart. This happened a week ago but I was away, ironically enough learning some jazz guitar.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_Stewart_(guitarist)

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

OldGoat wrote: »
    Louis Stewart. This happened a week ago but I was away, ironically enough learning some jazz guitar.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_Stewart_(guitarist)

I heard and read that at the time and saw an obituary at the weekend but I must confess I had never heard of him before this at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,380 ✭✭✭cml387

To many people he was the definitive Willie Wonka but to me he'll always be the Waco Kid:

RIP Gene Wilder 1933 -2016

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Loved that film, and that's one of my favourite scenes, but there are so many great scenes in it, the one with the KKK was hilarious. What a horrible year it has been and it ain't over yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

I always liked him in Stir Crazy

Pete Burns (of "You Spin Me Round") has died aged 57.

Bobby Vee was one of my heart throbs when I was just a nipper in ankle socks and plaits. I still know the words of 'The Night Has a Thousand Eyes', '(Awwww)....Take Good Care of my Baby', 'Dream Lover'. Omigosh I will be on Youtube for ages now singing along with Bobby. Sad, so sad.

I knew only the more recent face of Pete Burns and the song 'You Spin Me Round', but other than that he was never on my radar really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Jimmy died a couple of days ago.

Always sharp and cheerful, for several decades of my life he was the mid morning presenter on BBC Radio 2 ( previously The Light Program ).

When Terry Wogan took to doing his early morning program on the channel there was usually a bit of banter during handover time :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pzrq4FF2gnc

My recollections of him include

A fondness for playing discs of Sheena Easton https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8hbnFqe8aw

and Rodger Whitaker https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pj3rKFlb9Q

Being Margaret Thatchers favourite interviewer

and of course https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=He0LMsn_dtg

In those days The Beeb had the Reithian mission of to inform, educate and entertain. J.Y did more than his share of all three

TTFN

Funnily enough I thought he'd toddled off a while ago.

"What's the recipe today, Jim?"

My mum and I always listened in to Jimmy Young. I also thought he was still with us. With us no more, sadly. I still have those Jimmy Young Cookery Books. I've used some of the recipes and a couple I still use today. What a great programme was Jimmy Young's.

Leonard Cohen. :(

I've always loved Leonard, first for his songs then for his poetry and finally for his humour. A truly beautiful soul.

Poem ("I heard of a man ...") from "Let Us Compare Mythologies"
    I heard of a man
    who says words so beautifully
    that if he only speaks their name
    women give themselves to him.
    If I am dumb beside your body
    while silence blossoms like tumors on our lips.
    it is because I hear a man climb stairs and clear his throat outside the door.

I wasn't a big Cohen fan myself but I was always amused how every few years, since the 70s, a group of teenage boys would think they had 'discovered' him.

• Advertisement

He was a master wordsmith but also brutally honest on occasions. The song "Chelsea Hotel" is about a brief affair he had with Janis Joplin. The last verse is kinda like "Yeah I remember you but you are not that big a deal in my life."

I don't mean to suggest
    That I loved you the best
    I can't keep track of each fallen robin
    I remember you well in the Chelsea Hotel
    That's all, I don't think of you that often

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I have been a fan of his music since ~1968 but lost touch for a while when I was busy with life's troubles, and I later discovered he had taken himself out of things at that time, for nearly a decade, during which time he was robbed of his wealth and so returned to music and touring to survive.
    I am ever grateful to that thief for bringing him back.

I am indeed saddened to hear that there will be no more new music from LC, but console myself with what he has left us with.

If all my music collection was to disappear in the morning, his music is what I would most miss.

He did not treat his women very well ...... the change from Marianne to Suzanne, as told by Marianne, was quite bizarre IMO.

What a year.... now add Robert Vaughan - The Man from U.N.C.L.E.

Just noticed BBC4 showing 'Bird on a wire' at 11 o'c in tribute to Leonard Cohen.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭meolwan

What a year.... now add Robert Vaughan - The Man from U.N.C.L.E.

yes Napoleon Solo has gone on his last mission

Isn't Vaughan the last of the magnificent 7?

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭meolwan

OldGoat wrote: »
    Isn't Vaughan the last of the magnificent 7?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Not as famous as Leonard Cohen or David Bowie, but I was saddened to learn of the recent death of Sharon Jones
    220px-Sharon_Jones_%26_The_Dap-Kings_%40_Pori_Jazz_2.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharon_Jones_(singer)

I have to say, even after I read the link, I don't know of her at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Florence Agnes Henderson 82, American actress and singer, probably best known for her role as the matriarch of the Brady Bunch, Carol Brady.....

Florence_Henderson_cropped.jpg

Advertisement