Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

MATCH THREAD: Ireland vs New Zealand on Tour

• 05-11-2016 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,950 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Soldier Field, Chicago, Co. Illinois. Kick off 8PM GMT. Live on Eir Sports 2 TV from 7:30PM. Note. This game is NOT, repeat, NOT showing on Virgin Media.
    rugbyweekend-slider.jpg

IRELAND: R Kearney (Leinster), A Trimble, J Payne (both Ulster), R Henshaw (Leinster), S Zebo (Munster), J Sexton (Leinster), C Murray (Munster), J McGrath (Leinster), R Best (Ulster, capt), T Furlong, D Toner (both Leinster), D Ryan, CJ Stander (both Munster), J Murphy, J Heaslip (both Leinster).

Replacements: S Cronin, C Healy (both Leinster), F Bealham, U Dillane (both Connacht), J Van der Flier (Leinster), K Marmion (Connacht), J Carbery, G Ringrose (both Leinster).

NEW ZEALAND: B Smith, W Naholo (both Highlanders), G Moala (Blues), R Crotty (Crusaders), J Savea, B Barrett (both Hurricanes), A Smith (Highlanders), J Moody (Crusaders), D Coles (Hurricanes), O Franks (Crusaders), P Tuipulotu, J Kaino (both Blues), L Squire (Highlanders), S Cane (Chiefs), Kieran Read (Crusaders, capt).

Replacements C Taylor (Crusaders), O Tu’ungafasi, C Faumuina (both Blues), S Barrett (Crusaders), A Savea, TJ Perenara (both Hurricanes), A Cruden (Chiefs), M Fekitoa (Highlanders).

Preview. Sweet Home Chicago. Sitting here in my central downtown hotel having travelled to see Ireland play New Zealand, I feel happy. Having found a bar to call headquarters I feel bit like my hero, Con Houlihan. Now read on.....
    Con-Houlihan

The city here is in a state of sports utopia having won a "world cup" in their eyes; it's not for rugby but for another sport. Still, the locals know and are well aware that something better is going on today. The posters are up, the flags are flying, the airports are throbbing and the numerous fans are awash in the many Irish bars, and indeed the American bars and indeed the American bars that Irish people with more sense than money frequent.

This thing is real and yet unreal in many many ways; alas no black pudding to be seen nor it's white if more porky cousin. Americans love their sport but they love the event more. Today is more an event than a game, the hard bit if if AIG and World Rugby will see a return on their investment.

The Game. Truth be known, we are likely to be wellied today but then again we were due a wellying in 2013 in the game that like Len Brennan Jr, is never to be mentioned. What can be called a first choice tight five starts but as ever, the back row is a big concern this weekend. No O'Brien and no O'Mahony this time at the expense of maybe seeing them in 2 weeks time. That said there is a return for the mercurial Jordy Murphy.
    PANews%20BT_P-cbace6f6-df70-4ee1-9ad4-c24db850f585_I1.jpg

CJ Stander (above) can be assured of a big game as well while Josh van der Flier is a fine sniper to call in and he surely will be called in. Behind Sexton, Payne and Henshaw will cause hassle, no bones about it and you can expect them to slow things down enough to play the game as we want is, one of Jared's finest assets. Keep an eye out for Gary Ringrose and Joey Carbery; both will get their debut caps at some stage today, one of which will be for returning Rob Kearney.
    Garry+Ringrose+Junior+World+Championship+Match+fWziaHVCJS2l.jpg

The Kiwis's have a few changes in their pack for today. Jerome Kaino (Below) moves to the second row owing to injuries to the ver reliable Brodie Retallick and Sam Whitelock. The Barratt brothers will become yet another NZ brother pair to play together if lock Scott makes the field; his sibling Beauden renews his partnership with Aaron Smith who returns at scrum half.
    1467343733496.jpg
    ]

Predictions Ireland need to make the most of our stable line out and maul if they are to compete today. The home away from home crowd will help but against a team looking for their 19th test win on the trot, it's a tall order and one that's too tall for today IMO. Expect the capitulation after 65 minutes unlike 2013 when we capitulated after 82 minutes. I say NZ to win 38-22 but for Ireland to remember Axel in style pre Haka but we will win the drink off.

And now for pizza and a singalong....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,950 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Oh yeah, just for the crack. Post up the best match related meme in this thread and I'll get you some sort of Chicago related prize :)

Most I've looked forward to a match in a long time. Would love to see the All Black's win, and win well.....but won't be upset if Ireland make history tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

Don't expect a win tonight,....but what I do expect is for Joe to see some weaknesses in the AB team.and target them in a fortnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

Great write up, small glitch though with Murray, McGrath (both Leinster) no way ye're claiming Murray :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,950 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

case885 wrote: »
    Great write up, small glitch though with Murray, McGrath (both Leinster) no way ye're claiming Murray :D

Blame the Belegraph; I copy pasted their team lists :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

Great write up Losty fair play. Hope you really enjoy yourselves over there all of ye lucky enough to be in Chicago.
    Keep them somewhere in the territory of 15-18 points and I'll be content enough. That'll line up 2 weeks time just nicely.

Worth highlighting I think that the biggest losing margin under Joe has been 23 points to Argentina last year... Joe doesn't normally lose games by big margins.

Just sayin! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Cathalthesmart

kuang1 wrote: »
    Great write up Losty fair play. Hope you really enjoy yourselves over there all of ye lucky enough to be in Chicago.
    Keep them somewhere in the territory of 15-18 points and I'll be content enough. That'll line up 2 weeks time just nicely.

Worth highlighting I think that the biggest losing margin under Joe has been 23 points to Argentina last year... Joe doesn't normally lose games by big margins.

Just sayin! ;)

Joe doesn't normally play the All Blacks though :P.

Ive been looking forward to this game since yesterday...now I'm starting to get a feeling of despair :/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

I think I'm more fascinated than anything else. I'm not unrealistically optimistic, but I do expect us to show up.
    I think it's just an extremely intriguing encounter!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

So I caved.

I subscribed to Eir Sport.

I feel dirty. And not in a good way.

• Advertisement

So I caved.

So did I yesterday. I don't have HD, do you? It used to be standard when it was the Setanta package.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Basil3 wrote: »
    So did I yesterday. I don't have HD, do you? It used to be standard when it was the Setanta package.

There is no Eir Sport 1 HD. Try channel 424, Eir Sport 2 HD which is showing the game.

There is no Eir Sport 1 HD. Try channel 424, Eir Sport 2 HD which is showing the game.

Yeah, for me that is just Eirsport 2. HD is 460 and it says I need to subscribe. They're as bad as Sky.

• Administrators Posts: 53,330 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

So I caved.

You should!

People like you are the reason they take these games :mad: ;)

Coverage of the match has now been put on the TV in the pub. This now feels very real.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

excited1.gif

• Site Banned Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Adbrowne

CwhaGxuVEAA8cyF.jpg

Can't help but feel Raynal is going to show once again that he's completely out of his depth.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Adbrowne

Can't help but feel Raynal is going to show once again that he's completely out of his depth.

At least wait until he gives NZ their first try before we start blaming the ref !!!

Adbrowne wrote: »
    At least wait until he gives NZ their first try before we start blaming the ref !!!

Just warming up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭fire_man

any link please PM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

****all here tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭anais

Anyway to watch without an account for BTW or eir?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Just really can't see us winning this game. Hopeful we should definitely cover the bookies +24 handicap.

Few question marks over the all blacks with the second row and the wingers under the high ball so hopefully we can target these areas.

• Administrators Posts: 53,330 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This is the worst thing I've ever heard.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Let the game commence :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

awec wrote: »

I didn't think it possible to make that song worse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭TeoReid

it's ireland so better get the fiddle out! sure what else would ya do.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭aidanathome

Could they not just sing it, nevemind this rubbish!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

awec wrote: »

A fiddle...ffs...

Advertisement