Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Walking Dead | Season 7 | Episode 2 | The Well [AMC] [SPOILERS]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Okon

I thought it was an okay episode myself. Nothing spectacular mind you, but after last week's events things were obviously going to quieten down a bit.

I like Tigers, so that's a cool addition to the TV show... I bet Shiva gets to see a bit of bone munching action before the year is out too; it'd be fairly boring if all she did was stay on her chain!

I gave this episode a 7 in the poll as it wasn't a bad episode; it was enjoyable enough for what was in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

In a world where food is scarce, would anyone really want to hang around or do any deals with a guy that likens himself to a King and insists on having a pet Tiger?

Pity the Tiger didnt eat everyone in the camp while they were out 'hunting'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭BetsyEllen

I absolutely expected a slightly boring episode after the season opener, but this was really poor.

The tiger...as someone already said, it's funny how I will gladly accept flesh eating zombies as real but a tiger on a leash is just too far fetched.
    I think the producers should have played it down a little and gone with a wolf or something, to make it slightly more believable?

But hey ho, I'm not a comic reader so maybe the tiger has a large part in the future so has to be in it. I don't know.

I only voted a 3 as I didn't really enjoy the episode at all and seeing as I was looking forward to it all day yesterday I was extremely disappointed.

Really hoping next week will be better!

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Pete Moss

I think if I hadn't have read the comics, then I'd have disliked this episode. The background music with the royal harpsichord type melody going on really took this episode out of the Walking Dead realm (pun intended :D) a lot of the time for me.

Ezekiel's openness in the garden was a good reveal for TV viewers at the façade of the Kingdom, but I agree with the sentiment that a lot of this episode could have been done in conjunction with another side-plot. While I really enjoy TWD, episodes tend to focus on one story or pocket of characters a lot more now than it did in the past, which IMO, is the reason for snoozefest-esque episodes at times.

All in all, it was important to introduce some new characters, location and story arc, however, I don't think an entire episode needed to be dedicated to this introduction.

On the plus side though, I thought the CGI for Shiva was fantastic and I'm thinking Ezekiel's right-hand man (big Samoan guy, can't remember his name) will become a good comic relief character.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Star_Nupa

I think the meeting with Carol in the auditorium and with the guy folding the clothes was intentionally exaggerated to bring a little bit of comedy and light relief. I don't think the writers were taking her response seriously and we're well aware the viewers would know it was a little ott, even for "fake Carol".

I imagine going forward it's going to be a dark as sh1t season and a little bit of silly comedic scenes in an episode or 2 can be excused.

Comedy? It's not that kind of show. I think a little more complexity to the scene would've been far better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Star_Nupa wrote: »
    Comedy? It's not that kind of show. I think a little more complexity to the scene would've been far better.

It was comedic in the lighthearted less serious sense of the scene. There has been plenty of little bits of humour thrown into The Walking Dead over the years. Fans like a laugh also. I think people are getting carried away with Carol's reaction to be honest. It is her way of hiding her suspicions and opening up or exposing herself to people she doesn't trust.

Anyway, thats the way I saw it. Knowing Carol's character I definitely bought into her characters response to the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭Guffy

..... soooo... the king and Carol are hooking up?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

could have been half an episode intercut with whatever our other friends are doing. I enjoyed it but now I'm waiting another week to drip fed another ounce of story. Might flow better when watched back to back.

nice parallel between the whole situation and 'A bugs life'

found that posted on another site. someone else said it's just seven samurai. all I know is that bug feller is a lot like negan

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I'm all for meaningful introductions of important characters but I don't know why they can't focus on two story arcs at the same time.

We get an incredibly gruesome and tension filled episode last week and then we get drawn out filler the next. There's no real balance to this show and the pacing of it suffers big time and has done for several seasons.

Really poor episode. Can't stand Morgan or Carol as it is so my judgement may be more negative than most.

Flip flopping between stories every other week can fúck right off.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I liked this episode. I needed something to cleanse the palate after last week -- if we had guts and glory every week, it'd get pretty old fast. Ezekiel was interesting, as was his deal with Negan's crew (zombie-fed pigs). Didn't find it boring at all.

• Advertisement

Does tainted pig eating zombie meat kill you??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

It obviously hasn't yet. Maybe they think it will, but as I said to herself last night, "It's like they're p1ssing in their corn flakes."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

Why bother with the pigs eating tainted meat?

Why not just actually poison the food to be sure you kill the enemy?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Okon wrote: »
    I thought it was an okay episode myself. Nothing spectacular mind you, but after last week's events things were obviously going to quieten down a bit.

I like Tigers, so that's a cool addition to the TV show... I bet Shiva gets to see a bit of bone munching action before the year is out too; it'd be fairly boring if all she did was stay on her chain!

I gave this episode a 7 in the poll as it wasn't a bad episode; it was enjoyable enough for what was in it.

Shiva to eat Negan..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

As far as I can tell it shouldn't, I don't think Bobs leg infected the cannibals (although we never found out). Plus if they have been doing it for awhile, surely Negans groups would know. I think it is just done out of spite, kind of like that guy who was pissing in the coffee pot in the US, won't kill anyone, just really spiteful (and in this case, justifiable).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭wally79

I don't think so. People are already infected. That's why when they die in non zombie incidents they turn anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 14,614 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

At the least it should give them a serious dose of apocalyptic trots

skipper_G wrote: »
    At the least it should give them a serious dose of apocalyptic trots

But zombie bacon tastes good, zombie pork chops taste good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Olishi4

I always thought animals wouldn't eat Zombie meat??

Shiva to eat Negan..
    Olishi4 wrote: »
    I always thought animals wouldn't eat Zombie meat??

Pigs will pretty much eat anything. If they don't get infected like humans, no need to worry for them.

• Advertisement

Agree that the tiger would have been better or more believable as a wolf.

Also, there have only been 3 songs that caught my attention on the show.

Oats in the Water by Ben Howard played while Hershal was having a moment and people were dying in the jail after getting ill, the record player with old music playing in the intro scene looking out from a country kitchen where lizzie was playing outside and this one where a group sang "Dont think Twice" by Bob Dylan. I loved the other two and thought they fit so well but i didnt like the way they did the Bob Dylan song here.

Other than that I didn't mind the episode and wasnt expecting anything crazy. I don't think the show needed shocking and crazy this week. I like Ezekiel.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Pigs will pretty much eat anything. If they don't get infected like humans, no need to worry for them.

Ye it's just I thought that zombie flesh was spoiled meat? Would they eat that?

Olishi4 wrote: »
    Ye it's just I thought that zombie flesh was spoiled meat? Would they eat that?

Pigs will eat almost anything that is edible. If the zombie was all that was their, so long as it didn't flail to much, I see no reason they wouldn't

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Pete Moss

CramCycle wrote: »
    As far as I can tell it shouldn't, I don't think Bobs leg infected the cannibals (although we never found out). Plus if they have been doing it for awhile, surely Negans groups would know. I think it is just done out of spite, kind of like that guy who was pissing in the coffee pot in the US, won't kill anyone, just really spiteful (and in this case, justifiable).

I think it's an element of this, as well as not using the Kingdom's food supply to fatten up the pigs. Using zombie meat for livestock food supply offers great economies of scale in the apocalypse. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Unless they are providing freshly turned zombies, which it doesnt look like, no animal no matter how hungry would eat meat that has been decaying in warm weather for weeks & months because it would just make themselves sick and die.

I guess it means they don't have to use their own supplies to fatten up the pigs. I imagine that is the main reason. Also, Ezekiel is trying to keep Neagan's orders a secret from the general Kingdom population (apart from his main guys) so taking away and using their supplies would raise the suspicions of his people and may cause a bit of issues.

Obviously spite comes into it also. If it killed Neagan's people or, even made them ill, they would cop on soon enough where the cause of the illness emanated from.

Ezekiel seems to be very rational and knows the score with Neagan and his brutality, hence why he even allowed the long haired Saviour " a free shot" on that other Kingdom guy.

Here is a reasoning I found online, gives a good answer to this:

Ezekiel says his people want to fight, and that’s not something he wants to feed into. The Saviors would give his people a reason to fight, so he devises a plan to kill them off. Ezekiel orders his men to make the pigs they give to The Saviors eat the dead, therefore tainting the meat. The Saviors would have no way of knowing they’ve poisoned the food supply. If the Saviors get sick, the illnesses can be attributed to lack of refrigeration or someone not cleaning the meat properly. Ezekiel is a lot smarter than he appears to be

Dempsey wrote: »
    Unless they are providing freshly turned zombies, which it doesnt look like, no animal no matter how hungry would eat meat that has been decaying in warm weather for weeks & months because it would just make themselves sick and die.

Yes, but the pigs are slaughtered soon after anyway. May depend how long it takes effect to make them sick. As someone said, they are under the virus anyway. It is death that turns them into zombies. Loss of blood, etc. Thats why Hershel's leg could be amputated and tended to and he still survived.

You also have to consider that during slaughters of zombies during attacks, zombie blood can easily be sprayed into the human's soft tissue like mouths and eyes, wounds etc. Yet they don't die.

Killing activates the virus, not the blood etc itself.

In 28 days later you could contract zombieism by exposing diseased blood to soft tissue (eyes, mouth, open wounds, etc).

At the end of the day, there are different rules in these fictional zombie programmes so you have to just go by this.

So, if they absolutely HAD to, they could possibly eat the zombies without repercussion if they could get their minds around the cannibalism factor.

Yes, but the pigs are slaughtered soon after anyway. May depend how long it takes effect to make them sick. As someone said, they are under the virus anyway. It is death that turns them into zombies. Loss of blood, etc. Thats why Hershel's leg could be amputated and tended to and he still survived.

You also have to consider that during slaughters of zombies during attacks, zombie blood can easily be sprayed into the human's soft tissue like mouths and eyes, wounds etc. Yet they don't die.

Killing activates the virus, not the blood etc itself.

In 28 days later you could contract zombieism by exposing diseased blood to soft tissue (eyes, mouth, open wounds, etc).

At the end of the day, there are different rules in these fictional zombie programmes so you have to just go by this.

So, if they absolutely HAD to, they could possibly eat the zombies without repercussion if they could get their minds around the cannibalism factor.

I think Dempsy meant more that the flesh on a zombie is rotting meat and that they wouldn't eat it and if they did, that's what would make them sick, nothing to do with the virus.

But like you say, all zombie theories and rules are different in other movies/shows. I had just recently read a fairly reasonable explanation somewhere on zombies and their biology, where it was said that they are basically just like an active rotting corpse and the virus just activates the brain to an extent so if a zombie was a good few weeks old, i thought the pigs would naturally stay away so that was in my mind when I watched it.

"You got to starve the pigs for a few days, then the sight of a chopped-up body will look like curry to a pisshead. "

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

of course it was good/important to the overall architecture of the season, it introduced one of the most important characters going forward. It also was required to give a somewhat bckground to him and The Kingdom.

Whatever about the episode itself, it was an extremely pivotal introduction to Ezekiel.

You're looking at this retrospectively as it seems you're familiar with the comics. Otherwise it just felt like a lot of filler.

Advertisement