Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland De-Facto Visa

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 therookiefal

Hi all,
    I have read a lot of boards posts and there seems to be a lot of variation across different experiences.

I am Irish, and I have just moved back from 4 years living in Malaysia. My Malaysian girl friend has booked flights to come join me in July, and we are trying to work out the best approach for visas.
    We have been together for 2 years, and lived together for 1 year. But I do not have proof of that such as a lease/bills in our names. We have lots of calls/photos/flights we took together on holidays.

I have a full time job here. She is 27 and has experience as a senior manager in the fund accounting industry where there are lots of job openings in ireland.

She has booked flights to arrive in July, and a return flight in 90 days to show that she will leave if she can't get a visa of sorts.

What I am trying to work out is
    - do we start the online visa process now, for a defacto partner? Can a defacto partner work?
    - Or should we just focus on her trying to find a job?

Do we start the process now, or just wait until she gets here and start the process. She wants to live and work here, and we want to do it the right way!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

Hi all,
    I have read a lot of boards posts and there seems to be a lot of variation across different experiences.

I am Irish, and I have just moved back from 4 years living in Malaysia. My Malaysian girl friend has booked flights to come join me in July, and we are trying to work out the best approach for visas.
    We have been together for 2 years, and lived together for 1 year. But I do not have proof of that such as a lease/bills in our names. We have lots of calls/photos/flights we took together on holidays.

I have a full time job here. She is 27 and has experience as a senior manager in the fund accounting industry where there are lots of job openings in ireland.

She has booked flights to arrive in July, and a return flight in 90 days to show that she will leave if she can't get a visa of sorts.

What I am trying to work out is
    - do we start the online visa process now, for a defacto partner? Can a defacto partner work?
    - Or should we just focus on her trying to find a job?

Do we start the process now, or just wait until she gets here and start the process. She wants to live and work here, and we want to do it the right way!

You can't apply for a work permit while in the country on a short stay visa. You should check the Department of Education and Skills website for the qualifying criteria for a work permit and especially this page, https://www.djei.ie/en/What-We-Do/Jobs-Workplace-and-Skills/Employment-Permits/Employment-Permit-Eligibility/Ineligible-Categories-of-Employment/, for what categories of professions that are ineligible for a work permit.

You also cannot apply for de facto while in the country on a short stay visa, see the defacto page on the immigration website. http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/De%20Facto%20Relationships

As far as I know, you need to provide proof of living together for at least 2 years.

Thanks. Although I think it's going to be difficult. Damn.

Thanks. Although I think it's going to be difficult. Damn.

Does anyone know. If the de facto partner gets rejected how long do they have to leave? Do they put them on a 90 day tourist visa?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 850731galway

Hi therookiefal,

I too am in the same boat as you in terms of the nationality of my partner at least. You are right the information provided is very vague and inconsistent. I have noticed when I have contacted the de facto email address that they like to make assumptions about my situation i.e. insinuating my Malaysian partner cannot use de facto as a means to come of a student visa. My partner never lived in Ireland and was not applying for a student visa so I'm not sure how they came up with this? Anyway thats a battle for another day. The whole process is a shambles to be honest.

We had been gathering evidence for quite some time before he arrived in Ireland. When he landed he told immigration control why he was here, they stamped him for thirty days and gave him an id number that he was to quote for immigration. They also gave him a little green slip with information on what to do. Typical to form when we followed the instructions and went to the GNIB Office at 5.30 am that morning to start queuing and finally got to inside we were told we didn't need to be there! After 2.5 hours standing outside this was not the response we were after, I kicked off a bit and we got to speak with a lovely lady at the counter who told us the application needed to be posted and not taken to the office in person as was suggested on the green slip. She told us that the two year living requirement is not needed, you just need to show that you have had a relationship for two years - holidays, pictures, etc. She also told us once the application was lodged he had permission to remain pending the outcome of the application. She said that we would get a letter from the Immigration office confirming all the above. Anyway as he had already been in the country for about 14 days so we got an extra 90 days for his visa.

Once the application had been received he received a letter from Immigration advising that his application had been received and that he was free to stay in Ireland pending the outcome of his application. Just to give you a heads up there is a huge backlog. We sent the documents at the beginning of May and we were told in the letter that they were still working on cases from November of last year! FML!! Get your girlfriend to get Malaysian Good Conduct certificate before she arrives as they will be looking for police reports as part of the application. The last thing you will want is to wait 6 months to be told you are going to the back of the queue because you don't have a police report. Not really sure what happens should your application be rejected.

My partner sits at home now looking at walls while I work. He also applies for work but of course there is the questionnaire Irish, EU or Non EU so the applications don't get past the initial application stage.

Buckle up because it's going to be a very long ride!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭FalconXV

Does anyone know. If the de facto partner gets rejected how long do they have to leave? Do they put them on a 90 day tourist visa?

You can get rejected with a Stamp 3 to remain for 12 months. Not working is the tough part of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 mahf_i

Hi therookiefal,

I too am in the same boat as you in terms of the nationality of my partner at least. You are right the information provided is very vague and inconsistent. I have noticed when I have contacted the de facto email address that they like to make assumptions about my situation i.e. insinuating my Malaysian partner cannot use de facto as a means to come of a student visa. My partner never lived in Ireland and was not applying for a student visa so I'm not sure how they came up with this? Anyway thats a battle for another day. The whole process is a shambles to be honest.

We had been gathering evidence for quite some time before he arrived in Ireland. When he landed he told immigration control why he was here, they stamped him for thirty days and gave him an id number that he was to quote for immigration. They also gave him a little green slip with information on what to do. Typical to form when we followed the instructions and went to the GNIB Office at 5.30 am that morning to start queuing and finally got to inside we were told we didn't need to be there! After 2.5 hours standing outside this was not the response we were after, I kicked off a bit and we got to speak with a lovely lady at the counter who told us the application needed to be posted and not taken to the office in person as was suggested on the green slip. She told us that the two year living requirement is not needed, you just need to show that you have had a relationship for two years - holidays, pictures, etc. She also told us once the application was lodged he had permission to remain pending the outcome of the application. She said that we would get a letter from the Immigration office confirming all the above. Anyway as he had already been in the country for about 14 days so we got an extra 90 days for his visa.

Once the application had been received he received a letter from Immigration advising that his application had been received and that he was free to stay in Ireland pending the outcome of his application. Just to give you a heads up there is a huge backlog. We sent the documents at the beginning of May and we were told in the letter that they were still working on cases from November of last year! FML!! Get your girlfriend to get Malaysian Good Conduct certificate before she arrives as they will be looking for police reports as part of the application. The last thing you will want is to wait 6 months to be told you are going to the back of the queue because you don't have a police report. Not really sure what happens should your application be rejected.

My partner sits at home now looking at walls while I work. He also applies for work but of course there is the questionnaire Irish, EU or Non EU so the applications don't get past the initial application stage.

Hi, I'm submitting my application tomorrow. Do I really need to post it? Can I not show up at the stated address and hand it in personally?
    My situation is I've been with my partner for 3 years and been living together for 2 years next month in August. Currently I'm on Stamp 2 and just graduated from UCD. I think I have all the documents needed for this application. Reading this thread is making me quite nervous plus I'm starting a new job this Thursday.
    Do you think there is any obvious reason that they might reject my application?
    Thanks

Hi therookiefal,

Hi, I'm submitting my application tomorrow. Do I really need to post it? Can I not show up at the stated address and hand it in personally?
    My situation is I've been with my partner for 3 years and been living together for 2 years next month in August. Currently I'm on Stamp 2 and just graduated from UCD. I think I have all the documents needed for this application. Reading this thread is making me quite nervous plus I'm starting a new job this Thursday.
    I'm Malaysian and I prepared all the documents myself.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Cant answer mahf_i's question (though I would call the office and ask about posting it), but does anyone know if this application can be started from abroad? I note point 4 on the Immigration T&C's:
    ""The Applicant and the Sponsor must currently live in Ireland or they intend coming to live in Ireland."

That would mean they do allow applications from abroad and that would be vastly better than my partner sitting in Ireland unemployed for 6mths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

mahf_i wrote: »
    I'm Malaysian and I prepared all the documents myself.
    Thanks

I went to the Burgh Quay office a few years back with OH with a box of documents as well as large photo albums and the guy on the desk refused them. We had to go to the GPO and send them by post. Cost a fortune. Ridiculous, but then again, ridiculous is their modus operandi!

• Advertisement

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    I went to the Burgh Quay office a few years back with OH with a box of documents as well as large photo albums and the guy on the desk refused them. We had to go to the GPO and send them by post. Cost a fortune. Ridiculous, but then again, ridiculous is their modus operandi!

Hi guys, sent in my application and was told by the post office that I need to send it through registered post. As far as I understand, registered post is for when you want the documents to be returned back and nowhere on the website it is stated that the documents need to be posted via registered post.

For future reference of new applicants, I sent an email asking whether you need to submit the application through registered post and this is the reply I got from INIS

"You CAN register your application IF YOU WISH.

You must submit stamps if you wish to have your documents returned to you.
    Please note, we do not return photocopies of documents. Only original
    documentation will be returned."

So basically I was cheated by the GPO people at the registered post counter. They told me INIS won't entertain my application if I don't send it through registered post and they are not the most polite people.

Good luck to all applicants. It's now a waiting game for me :D

For future reference of new applicants, I sent an email asking whether you need to submit the application through registered post and this is the reply I got from INIS

"You CAN register your application IF YOU WISH.

You must submit stamps if you wish to have your documents returned to you.
    Please note, we do not return photocopies of documents. Only original
    documentation will be returned."

So basically I was cheated by the GPO people at the registered post counter. They told me INIS won't entertain my application if I don't send it through registered post and they are not the most polite people.

Good luck to all applicants. It's now a waiting game for me :D

You should register post anything you send to a government department, especially INIS as there are A LOT of instances where they have "mislaid" your documents or said they never arrived and they can't do that if you register it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Cant answer mahf_i's question (though I would call the office and ask about posting it), but does anyone know if this application can be started from abroad? I note point 4 on the Immigration T&C's:
    ""The Applicant and the Sponsor must currently live in Ireland or they intend coming to live in Ireland."

That would mean they do allow applications from abroad and that would be vastly better than my partner sitting in Ireland unemployed for 6mths.
    Ok, so to answer my own question and point out a glaring error on the INIS site and docs and staff...

- the Irish Embassy immigration advisor in Sydney said you must goto Ireland on a Short Stay visa and apply in person for a de facto Visa.
    - the INIS FAQ says (in the above quoted section) you can apply from abroad or currently live in Ireland.
    - however now we just called the embassy again and were informed the above are both incorrect and sent this link: http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/De%20Facto%20Relationships
    [font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]De Facto Partnership Immigration Permission in Ireland[/font]
    [font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]IMPORTANT NOTE[/font]
    From 21 March 2014 INIS will not accept an application for De Facto Partnership Immigration Permission if the Applicant is present in the State on a C Visit Visa or on foot of the [font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Irish Short Stay Visa Waiver Programme.[/font]
    What a train wreck of a process, its embarrassing compared to the processes I went through in other countries.

Matt I hope you get your application sorted out soon. Couldn't be of more help but if you're tracking your parcel, you will see it will be delivered to Roscrea, Co. Tipperary. INIS will re-address your application to their postbox (?). I was paranoid when I saw the location but called An Post and they said this is a normal route.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭The_Bot

Has anyone know what the process of changing permission status from de-facto to married? I know they are both stamp 4 but does anything need to be done with GNIB/INIS to make the change?

The_Bot wrote: »
    Has anyone know what the process of changing permission status from de-facto to married? I know they are both stamp 4 but does anything need to be done with GNIB/INIS to make the change?

I would write them a registered letter and definitely notify them as you can apply for citizenship after 3 years married. You also don't have to pay for re-entry visas or visas to other EU countries covered by the EU treaty rights, not sure if you have to do that with de-facto.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 caitlin81293

insinuating my Malaysian partner cannot use de facto as a means to come of a student visa. My partner never lived in Ireland and was not applying for a student visa so I'm not sure how they came up with this? Anyway thats a battle for another day. The whole process is a shambles to be honest.

I emailed some 'lovely' ladies at the INIS asking some a VERY simple question:

Can I come in on the visitor visa and apply for the de-facto then?

I was very surprised to receive a reply insinuating I was trying to beat the system and come over to steal benefits or what not, that it has to be a genuine and long term relationship (I don't know about them, but I would call a 4 year de facto relationship serious) . She told me that I CANNOT come in on the visitor visa and I need to sort out my own work or student visa before I get there. She also told me that they are very generous considering that the US don't have a de-facto visa and an Australian visa costs $5000 (I would know, that is the visa my partner is currently on!)

I was infuriated, trying not to be rude, I replied that we are in a very serious 4 year relationship with 3 years living together, stayed 6 month in Ireland on a WHA and that I did know that the Australian visa price, because I have paid it!

Anyway - I talked to a lovely man at an immigration office in Dublin and you could nearly hear him rolling his eyes at the INIS workers - the false information and insinuations, I am generally shocked they told me I can't come over on a visitor visa! Maybe they are trying to stop people coming over, either way, government workers giving out false information? Horrific! I spent about an hour crying uncontrollably thinking I will never be able to live in Ireland again unless we are married!

Anyway, I am applying for my visa when I come over in December. Hopefully everything works out, I have read that they don't need proof of co-habitation for 2 whole years, only evidence that the relationship has been going on for 2 years, as in our situation, we only lived in a rental flat for around 14 months, the rest of the time together was living with family members, Australia took that as evidence so hopefully Ireland will like it!

I have jumped through the hoops of uploading endless amounts of evidence once, so hopefully I have it down pat now!

Matt I hope you get your application sorted out soon. Couldn't be of more help but if you're tracking your parcel, you will see it will be delivered to Roscrea, Co. Tipperary. INIS will re-address your application to their postbox (?). I was paranoid when I saw the location but called An Post and they said this is a normal route.

If I get mine I could go and pick it up from there! Only about 40 minutes from where I'll be living!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 850731galway

I was very surprised to receive a reply insinuating I was trying to beat the system and come over to steal benefits or what not, that it has to be a genuine and long term relationship (I don't know about them, but I would call a 4 year de facto relationship serious) . She told me that I CANNOT come in on the visitor visa and I need to sort out my own work or student visa before I get there. She also told me that they are very generous considering that the US don't have a de-facto visa and an Australian visa costs $5000 (I would know, that is the visa my partner is currently on!)

I was infuriated, trying not to be rude, I replied that we are in a very serious 4 year relationship with 3 years living together, stayed 6 month in Ireland on a WHA and that I did know that the Australian visa price, because I have paid it!

Anyway - I talked to a lovely man at an immigration office in Dublin and you could nearly hear him rolling his eyes at the INIS workers - the false information and insinuations, I am generally shocked they told me I can't come over on a visitor visa! Maybe they are trying to stop people coming over, either way, government workers giving out false information? Horrific! I spent about an hour crying uncontrollably thinking I will never be able to live in Ireland again unless we are married!

Anyway, I am applying for my visa when I come over in December. Hopefully everything works out, I have read that they don't need proof of co-habitation for 2 whole years, only evidence that the relationship has been going on for 2 years, as in our situation, we only lived in a rental flat for around 14 months, the rest of the time together was living with family members, Australia took that as evidence so hopefully Ireland will like it!

I have jumped through the hoops of uploading endless amounts of evidence once, so hopefully I have it down pat now!

They are a mayor. No one seems to know what the procedure is. I think they have had a change of lovely ladies monitoring the de facto mailbox.

The process will take 6 months. If you are planning on coming in December be prepared to sit at home for 6 months twiddling your thumbs. If possible, you should travel here lodge your application and have all correspondence sent to your beau's family's home. I lodged my application in May and still waiting. Obviously it's not sustainable financially to live here and not work for 6 months so my partner took short term contract in Denmark. The end of his contract should con invite with a successful outcome of the visa!

What were you uploading? The INIS don't have this facility for uploading documents.

When I spoke with the nice girl in the INIS office, she told me don't need two years living together proof. She said that as long as you can show holidays and living together and whatever else to make up the two years it'll be ok.

• Advertisement

They are a mayor. No one seems to know what the procedure is. I think they have had a change of lovely ladies monitoring the de facto mailbox.

The process will take 6 months. If you are planning on coming in December be prepared to sit at home for 6 months twiddling your thumbs. If possible, you should travel here lodge your application and have all correspondence sent to your beau's family's home. I lodged my application in May and still waiting. Obviously it's not sustainable financially to live here and not work for 6 months so my partner took short term contract in Denmark. The end of his contract should con invite with a successful outcome of the visa!

What were you uploading? The INIS don't have this facility for uploading documents.

When I spoke with the nice girl in the INIS office, she told me don't need two years living together proof. She said that as long as you can show holidays and living together and whatever else to make up the two years it'll be ok.

You found a nice girl to speak to? Lucky you! I had around 2-3 emailing me, and they were all very rude and derogatory.

What kind of health insurance did you or your partner get?

Well, no, not ulploading this time round, but putting eveything in a folder!

Well I have been working away very hard here saving and trying to get my qualification before I come, so won't mind a month or two off work but 6 months is excessive. I'm glad that we are allowed to stay at his parents as long as we like which saves rent, but it isn't great!

I hope you aren't waiting too much longer, I've spent 6 months apart from my boyfriend too and that wasn't fun times!

Good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ccfsg

Hi all

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ccfsg

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Sheepology

Hi folks!

Myself and my partner have applied at the end of February and untill now we didn't hear anything from INIS. It seems they are taking longer than 6 months to give answers which is a pain.

Is there anybody having the issue?

Sheepology wrote: »
    Hi folks!

Myself and my partner have applied at the end of February and untill now we didn't hear anything from INIS. It seems they are taking longer than 6 months to give answers which is a pain.

Is there anybody having the issue?

Not uncommon, just have to read through the posts on this forum about this. With the economy on the up there is a back log. Citizenship section in Tipp Town has a back log of four weeks just to look at an application.

I wouldn't be surprised that those ladies writing those emails are even Irish. When I've rang them in the past (they've often misled when those lines are attended to for queries) a Polish person has answered.
    I spent about an hour crying uncontrollably thinking I will never be able to live in Ireland again unless we are married!

Being married to an Irish citizen doesn't guarantee you a visa. There are benefits if you do get one. The Gards don't charge you a fee, after two years of being married you are entitled to a Stamp 4 for three years and you can apply for Citizenship after being married to an Irish Citizen for 3 years (and of course residing in Ireland on a Stamp 1 or 4).

The_Bot wrote: »

Don't have to write to the office. Inform your local immigration Gard that your status has changed.

Hi guys, sent in my application and was told by the post office that I need to send it through registered post. As far as I understand, registered post is for when you want the documents to be returned back and nowhere on the website it is stated that the documents need to be posted via registered post.

My documentation was returned to me when I got my de facto decision letter.

The post office probably said that it due to being personal documentation you would have to get it registered in case it goes missing in the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 n7483

Hi everyone,

Just a message of hope for those waiting. I applied for a de facto visa in May, and finally got it!
    Make sure you submit EVERYTHING and beyond.
    Registered post is the best way to send it. It takes a few days to arrive because it goes to Roscrea.
    Apparently it's quite common that they ask you for an update on certain documents when they're looking at your file (5/6 months after submitting). After that, it shouldn't take more than a week or two to get the letter.
    Best of luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 hootyorear

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone know of anybody that has gotten an de facto visa for less than 2 years? Am hoping its possible;)

Advertisement