Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland De-Facto Visa

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭KevinGossRoss

Myself and my girlfriend was granted a De Facto visa in 2013 after moving from South Africa. We've been living in Ireland for three years but she has decided that after 7 years of being together she wants out and it looks like it might be final. The INIS website states that I should contact them immediately once the relationship ends and that each case is assessed individually. I love this country, I love it's people. I can't leave now. I'm a photographer and partner in a small design firm. I've worked for three years to get where I am and things are just looking up for me professionally. Has anyone had any experience with this?

Desperate at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Irishgirl88

We were in a similar situation to you with similar documentation and were rejected recently. I've sent you a PM with a few more details.

I am an irish citizen going out with US citizen for three years. We lived together for two years in the US and now we want to move to ireland. I moved back few weeks ago because of a job offer and now he wants to join ASAP. We have proof of living together along with full folder of proof of relationship. Should we apple for a join spouse visa or defactp visa? And will companies be hesitant to hire him on the defacto visa status? If we break up ... He has to leave! Times/cost/chances info much appreciated!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 172 ✭✭aidanathome

I am an irish citizen going out with US citizen for three years. We lived together for two years in the US and now we want to move to ireland. I moved back few weeks ago because of a job offer and now he wants to join ASAP. We have proof of living together along with full folder of proof of relationship. Should we apple for a join spouse visa or defactp visa? And will companies be hesitant to hire him on the defacto visa status? If we break up ... He has to leave! Times/cost/chances info much appreciated!

Hi Irishgirl88, if you have full proof of living together (as a married couple) for a minimum of 2 years, I would hope that you would be ok to get a defacto visa.

For a join spouse visa, you will need proof of marriage. "Marriage certificate or civil partnership certificate – marriages/civil partnerships must be capable of recognition under Irish law for other purposes outside of the immigration system." from http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/inis/pages/join%20family

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Pixie Nixie

Hi all!

I hope you can help me out. My boyfriend is Irish and I applied to the defacto visa while in a visit visa in 2013 and it was denied so I had to come back to my home country but then I applied again this year while in a tourist visa and it was granted for only 6 months and with stamp 3.
    The letter I received says I can renew it but it doesn't say what to do to renew it.

Should I apply all over again or just go to the immigration office and pay the 300euros? Do I have to go with my boyfriend? What papers do I have to show them (passports, what else?)

Is there any way I can change the stamp 3 into stamp 4???? It's driving me insane not being able to work!!

Please anyone who can give me some advise will be very much appreciated.

TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 1 sarabethv

Boston48 wrote: »
    Hello All,

I am wondering about my eligibility for a de-facto visa. I am a US citizen currently in the US with my Irish boyfriend who is here on a work visa. He might have a professorship opportunity at a university back in Ireland and if he accepts, we would like for me to join him but want to avoid marriage (mainly due to US tax purposes).

We have been dating for 2.5 years and have been living together in the US for 6 months.

If we were to move to Ireland is there any chance for me receiving the de-facto visa despite not living together for the "required" 2 years? It seems like they have become progressively more strict with this type of visa. We will have evidence of his job at the university (and salary), shared lease in the US (and presumably Ireland when we move), shared utilities, pay-slips for both, pictures, messages, flights, reservations, etc. etc. He holds a PhD and me a master's degree if that matters at all.

Any advice about current climate for De-Facto visa appreciated!

I know this was a couple months ago, but I can tell you about my experience. There's no getting around the 2 years, and worst of all it has to be consistent. My partner and I have been together long distance for 6 years, but lived together in the US for just over a year while he was on his J1 and 6 months later I moved to Ireland and we lived together for one more year. Our application was declined because of the 6 month break (due to visa restrictions, and despite multiple trips across the pond from each of us during this time).

What worked for us though, is if you finished your Master's within the past year and are under 30, you're eligible for a Working Holiday Visa in Ireland. It was pretty simple to apply for and it will have you here for at least a year so you'll be able to extend your time with him that way. Thats what we did at least.

If you have any questions about my experience, feel free to contact me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 BRINDON

Hi folks,

Just wanted to thank everyone for their help in guiding me to finally obtaining a stamp 4 for my partner who is now my spouse since I had no other option.
    thanks again and hope you all find what you are looking for.

Bren.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 aj1980

Hi All,

I am Irish and my partner is Canadian, we have been together for over two years and living with each other since they came over on a working holiday Visa in June 2014.

Given the processing times for defacto relationships scheme we sent in the application along with all the supporting documentation only to be refused via letter on the 23rd of December citing that we hadn't been living together for 2 years.

The letter also said that the start date for the co-habitation was December 2014 despite that the fact that there was a lease for our apartment from the 1st of October and documentary proof of us being at the same address since June 2014 so clearly they hadn't looked too hard at the documentation.

I am not sure what my options are to be honest, I think I should flag the errors but I don't think it will make any difference to the final decision.

My partner has a job that he loves and is doing really well at it, being promoted 3 times in the past 2 years, its on the list of ineligible occupations for so come June I am worried that he will have to leave it as his working holiday visa expires.

I also worry that if I apply in June we are left in limbo waiting to see if we will be successful or not.

Any insights from people that have had the same experience would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭eoinola

Hi all

I have a query that some of you might be able to help with. My partner (Brazilian with Stamp 2 visa) and I are due to get married in the North in three weeks. On receipt of the marriage cert we intent to apply for her stamp 4 which will allow her to remain in ireland. She already is working under her student visa so can she work once we apply?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3 realityhurts22

aj1980 wrote: »
    Hi All,

I am Irish and my partner is Canadian, we have been together for over two years and living with each other since they came over on a working holiday Visa in June 2014.

Given the processing times for defacto relationships scheme we sent in the application along with all the supporting documentation only to be refused via letter on the 23rd of December citing that we hadn't been living together for 2 years.

The letter also said that the start date for the co-habitation was December 2014 despite that the fact that there was a lease for our apartment from the 1st of October and documentary proof of us being at the same address since June 2014 so clearly they hadn't looked too hard at the documentation.

I am not sure what my options are to be honest, I think I should flag the errors but I don't think it will make any difference to the final decision.

My partner has a job that he loves and is doing really well at it, being promoted 3 times in the past 2 years, its on the list of ineligible occupations for so come June I am worried that he will have to leave it as his working holiday visa expires.

I also worry that if I apply in June we are left in limbo waiting to see if we will be successful or not.

Any insights from people that have had the same experience would be very much appreciated.

Not yet enough either june 2014 or December 2014.They required 2 years of cohabitation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Karl88

Ok im not that good with this kind of thing and i'll probably miss a lot of details, i am an Irish citizen living with my girlfriend from Australia for 4 years, she recently forgot to renew her visa and was told she had to reapply or renew her visa back in her own country with no guarentee it wil be accepted, she is no no longer able to work and im afraid that she will not be allowed to return to work, any information or possible routes i could go down would be great, i dont want to lose my partner of 6 years..i am unemployed and she has been working ever since she has been here if that helps at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 therookiefal

Hi all,
    I have read a lot of boards posts and there seems to be a lot of variation across different experiences.

I am Irish, and I have just moved back from 4 years living in Malaysia. My Malaysian girl friend has booked flights to come join me in July, and we are trying to work out the best approach for visas.
    We have been together for 2 years, and lived together for 1 year. But I do not have proof of that such as a lease/bills in our names. We have lots of calls/photos/flights we took together on holidays.

I have a full time job here. She is 27 and has experience as a senior manager in the fund accounting industry where there are lots of job openings in ireland.

She has booked flights to arrive in July, and a return flight in 90 days to show that she will leave if she can't get a visa of sorts.

What I am trying to work out is
    - do we start the online visa process now, for a defacto partner? Can a defacto partner work?
    - Or should we just focus on her trying to find a job?

Do we start the process now, or just wait until she gets here and start the process. She wants to live and work here, and we want to do it the right way!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

Hi all,
    I have read a lot of boards posts and there seems to be a lot of variation across different experiences.

I am Irish, and I have just moved back from 4 years living in Malaysia. My Malaysian girl friend has booked flights to come join me in July, and we are trying to work out the best approach for visas.
    We have been together for 2 years, and lived together for 1 year. But I do not have proof of that such as a lease/bills in our names. We have lots of calls/photos/flights we took together on holidays.

I have a full time job here. She is 27 and has experience as a senior manager in the fund accounting industry where there are lots of job openings in ireland.

She has booked flights to arrive in July, and a return flight in 90 days to show that she will leave if she can't get a visa of sorts.

What I am trying to work out is
    - do we start the online visa process now, for a defacto partner? Can a defacto partner work?
    - Or should we just focus on her trying to find a job?

Do we start the process now, or just wait until she gets here and start the process. She wants to live and work here, and we want to do it the right way!

You can't apply for a work permit while in the country on a short stay visa. You should check the Department of Education and Skills website for the qualifying criteria for a work permit and especially this page, https://www.djei.ie/en/What-We-Do/Jobs-Workplace-and-Skills/Employment-Permits/Employment-Permit-Eligibility/Ineligible-Categories-of-Employment/, for what categories of professions that are ineligible for a work permit.

You also cannot apply for de facto while in the country on a short stay visa, see the defacto page on the immigration website. http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/De%20Facto%20Relationships

As far as I know, you need to provide proof of living together for at least 2 years.

Thanks. Although I think it's going to be difficult. Damn.

Thanks. Although I think it's going to be difficult. Damn.

Does anyone know. If the de facto partner gets rejected how long do they have to leave? Do they put them on a 90 day tourist visa?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 850731galway

Hi therookiefal,

I too am in the same boat as you in terms of the nationality of my partner at least. You are right the information provided is very vague and inconsistent. I have noticed when I have contacted the de facto email address that they like to make assumptions about my situation i.e. insinuating my Malaysian partner cannot use de facto as a means to come of a student visa. My partner never lived in Ireland and was not applying for a student visa so I'm not sure how they came up with this? Anyway thats a battle for another day. The whole process is a shambles to be honest.

We had been gathering evidence for quite some time before he arrived in Ireland. When he landed he told immigration control why he was here, they stamped him for thirty days and gave him an id number that he was to quote for immigration. They also gave him a little green slip with information on what to do. Typical to form when we followed the instructions and went to the GNIB Office at 5.30 am that morning to start queuing and finally got to inside we were told we didn't need to be there! After 2.5 hours standing outside this was not the response we were after, I kicked off a bit and we got to speak with a lovely lady at the counter who told us the application needed to be posted and not taken to the office in person as was suggested on the green slip. She told us that the two year living requirement is not needed, you just need to show that you have had a relationship for two years - holidays, pictures, etc. She also told us once the application was lodged he had permission to remain pending the outcome of the application. She said that we would get a letter from the Immigration office confirming all the above. Anyway as he had already been in the country for about 14 days so we got an extra 90 days for his visa.

Once the application had been received he received a letter from Immigration advising that his application had been received and that he was free to stay in Ireland pending the outcome of his application. Just to give you a heads up there is a huge backlog. We sent the documents at the beginning of May and we were told in the letter that they were still working on cases from November of last year! FML!! Get your girlfriend to get Malaysian Good Conduct certificate before she arrives as they will be looking for police reports as part of the application. The last thing you will want is to wait 6 months to be told you are going to the back of the queue because you don't have a police report. Not really sure what happens should your application be rejected.

My partner sits at home now looking at walls while I work. He also applies for work but of course there is the questionnaire Irish, EU or Non EU so the applications don't get past the initial application stage.

Buckle up because it's going to be a very long ride!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭FalconXV

Does anyone know. If the de facto partner gets rejected how long do they have to leave? Do they put them on a 90 day tourist visa?

You can get rejected with a Stamp 3 to remain for 12 months. Not working is the tough part of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 mahf_i

Hi therookiefal,

I too am in the same boat as you in terms of the nationality of my partner at least. You are right the information provided is very vague and inconsistent. I have noticed when I have contacted the de facto email address that they like to make assumptions about my situation i.e. insinuating my Malaysian partner cannot use de facto as a means to come of a student visa. My partner never lived in Ireland and was not applying for a student visa so I'm not sure how they came up with this? Anyway thats a battle for another day. The whole process is a shambles to be honest.

We had been gathering evidence for quite some time before he arrived in Ireland. When he landed he told immigration control why he was here, they stamped him for thirty days and gave him an id number that he was to quote for immigration. They also gave him a little green slip with information on what to do. Typical to form when we followed the instructions and went to the GNIB Office at 5.30 am that morning to start queuing and finally got to inside we were told we didn't need to be there! After 2.5 hours standing outside this was not the response we were after, I kicked off a bit and we got to speak with a lovely lady at the counter who told us the application needed to be posted and not taken to the office in person as was suggested on the green slip. She told us that the two year living requirement is not needed, you just need to show that you have had a relationship for two years - holidays, pictures, etc. She also told us once the application was lodged he had permission to remain pending the outcome of the application. She said that we would get a letter from the Immigration office confirming all the above. Anyway as he had already been in the country for about 14 days so we got an extra 90 days for his visa.

Once the application had been received he received a letter from Immigration advising that his application had been received and that he was free to stay in Ireland pending the outcome of his application. Just to give you a heads up there is a huge backlog. We sent the documents at the beginning of May and we were told in the letter that they were still working on cases from November of last year! FML!! Get your girlfriend to get Malaysian Good Conduct certificate before she arrives as they will be looking for police reports as part of the application. The last thing you will want is to wait 6 months to be told you are going to the back of the queue because you don't have a police report. Not really sure what happens should your application be rejected.

My partner sits at home now looking at walls while I work. He also applies for work but of course there is the questionnaire Irish, EU or Non EU so the applications don't get past the initial application stage.

Hi, I'm submitting my application tomorrow. Do I really need to post it? Can I not show up at the stated address and hand it in personally?
    My situation is I've been with my partner for 3 years and been living together for 2 years next month in August. Currently I'm on Stamp 2 and just graduated from UCD. I think I have all the documents needed for this application. Reading this thread is making me quite nervous plus I'm starting a new job this Thursday.
    Do you think there is any obvious reason that they might reject my application?
    Thanks

Hi therookiefal,

Hi, I'm submitting my application tomorrow. Do I really need to post it? Can I not show up at the stated address and hand it in personally?
    My situation is I've been with my partner for 3 years and been living together for 2 years next month in August. Currently I'm on Stamp 2 and just graduated from UCD. I think I have all the documents needed for this application. Reading this thread is making me quite nervous plus I'm starting a new job this Thursday.
    I'm Malaysian and I prepared all the documents myself.
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Cant answer mahf_i's question (though I would call the office and ask about posting it), but does anyone know if this application can be started from abroad? I note point 4 on the Immigration T&C's:
    ""The Applicant and the Sponsor must currently live in Ireland or they intend coming to live in Ireland."

That would mean they do allow applications from abroad and that would be vastly better than my partner sitting in Ireland unemployed for 6mths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

mahf_i wrote: »
    I'm Malaysian and I prepared all the documents myself.
    Thanks

I went to the Burgh Quay office a few years back with OH with a box of documents as well as large photo albums and the guy on the desk refused them. We had to go to the GPO and send them by post. Cost a fortune. Ridiculous, but then again, ridiculous is their modus operandi!

• Advertisement

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    I went to the Burgh Quay office a few years back with OH with a box of documents as well as large photo albums and the guy on the desk refused them. We had to go to the GPO and send them by post. Cost a fortune. Ridiculous, but then again, ridiculous is their modus operandi!

Hi guys, sent in my application and was told by the post office that I need to send it through registered post. As far as I understand, registered post is for when you want the documents to be returned back and nowhere on the website it is stated that the documents need to be posted via registered post.

For future reference of new applicants, I sent an email asking whether you need to submit the application through registered post and this is the reply I got from INIS

"You CAN register your application IF YOU WISH.

You must submit stamps if you wish to have your documents returned to you.
    Please note, we do not return photocopies of documents. Only original
    documentation will be returned."

So basically I was cheated by the GPO people at the registered post counter. They told me INIS won't entertain my application if I don't send it through registered post and they are not the most polite people.

Good luck to all applicants. It's now a waiting game for me :D

For future reference of new applicants, I sent an email asking whether you need to submit the application through registered post and this is the reply I got from INIS

"You CAN register your application IF YOU WISH.

You must submit stamps if you wish to have your documents returned to you.
    Please note, we do not return photocopies of documents. Only original
    documentation will be returned."

So basically I was cheated by the GPO people at the registered post counter. They told me INIS won't entertain my application if I don't send it through registered post and they are not the most polite people.

Good luck to all applicants. It's now a waiting game for me :D

You should register post anything you send to a government department, especially INIS as there are A LOT of instances where they have "mislaid" your documents or said they never arrived and they can't do that if you register it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Cant answer mahf_i's question (though I would call the office and ask about posting it), but does anyone know if this application can be started from abroad? I note point 4 on the Immigration T&C's:
    ""The Applicant and the Sponsor must currently live in Ireland or they intend coming to live in Ireland."

That would mean they do allow applications from abroad and that would be vastly better than my partner sitting in Ireland unemployed for 6mths.
    Ok, so to answer my own question and point out a glaring error on the INIS site and docs and staff...

- the Irish Embassy immigration advisor in Sydney said you must goto Ireland on a Short Stay visa and apply in person for a de facto Visa.
    - the INIS FAQ says (in the above quoted section) you can apply from abroad or currently live in Ireland.
    - however now we just called the embassy again and were informed the above are both incorrect and sent this link: http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/De%20Facto%20Relationships
    [font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]De Facto Partnership Immigration Permission in Ireland[/font]
    [font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]IMPORTANT NOTE[/font]
    From 21 March 2014 INIS will not accept an application for De Facto Partnership Immigration Permission if the Applicant is present in the State on a C Visit Visa or on foot of the [font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Irish Short Stay Visa Waiver Programme.[/font]
    What a train wreck of a process, its embarrassing compared to the processes I went through in other countries.

Matt I hope you get your application sorted out soon. Couldn't be of more help but if you're tracking your parcel, you will see it will be delivered to Roscrea, Co. Tipperary. INIS will re-address your application to their postbox (?). I was paranoid when I saw the location but called An Post and they said this is a normal route.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 92 ✭✭The_Bot

Has anyone know what the process of changing permission status from de-facto to married? I know they are both stamp 4 but does anything need to be done with GNIB/INIS to make the change?

The_Bot wrote: »
    Has anyone know what the process of changing permission status from de-facto to married? I know they are both stamp 4 but does anything need to be done with GNIB/INIS to make the change?

I would write them a registered letter and definitely notify them as you can apply for citizenship after 3 years married. You also don't have to pay for re-entry visas or visas to other EU countries covered by the EU treaty rights, not sure if you have to do that with de-facto.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 caitlin81293

insinuating my Malaysian partner cannot use de facto as a means to come of a student visa. My partner never lived in Ireland and was not applying for a student visa so I'm not sure how they came up with this? Anyway thats a battle for another day. The whole process is a shambles to be honest.

I emailed some 'lovely' ladies at the INIS asking some a VERY simple question:

Can I come in on the visitor visa and apply for the de-facto then?

I was very surprised to receive a reply insinuating I was trying to beat the system and come over to steal benefits or what not, that it has to be a genuine and long term relationship (I don't know about them, but I would call a 4 year de facto relationship serious) . She told me that I CANNOT come in on the visitor visa and I need to sort out my own work or student visa before I get there. She also told me that they are very generous considering that the US don't have a de-facto visa and an Australian visa costs $5000 (I would know, that is the visa my partner is currently on!)

I was infuriated, trying not to be rude, I replied that we are in a very serious 4 year relationship with 3 years living together, stayed 6 month in Ireland on a WHA and that I did know that the Australian visa price, because I have paid it!

Anyway - I talked to a lovely man at an immigration office in Dublin and you could nearly hear him rolling his eyes at the INIS workers - the false information and insinuations, I am generally shocked they told me I can't come over on a visitor visa! Maybe they are trying to stop people coming over, either way, government workers giving out false information? Horrific! I spent about an hour crying uncontrollably thinking I will never be able to live in Ireland again unless we are married!

Anyway, I am applying for my visa when I come over in December. Hopefully everything works out, I have read that they don't need proof of co-habitation for 2 whole years, only evidence that the relationship has been going on for 2 years, as in our situation, we only lived in a rental flat for around 14 months, the rest of the time together was living with family members, Australia took that as evidence so hopefully Ireland will like it!

I have jumped through the hoops of uploading endless amounts of evidence once, so hopefully I have it down pat now!

Matt I hope you get your application sorted out soon. Couldn't be of more help but if you're tracking your parcel, you will see it will be delivered to Roscrea, Co. Tipperary. INIS will re-address your application to their postbox (?). I was paranoid when I saw the location but called An Post and they said this is a normal route.

If I get mine I could go and pick it up from there! Only about 40 minutes from where I'll be living!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 850731galway

I was very surprised to receive a reply insinuating I was trying to beat the system and come over to steal benefits or what not, that it has to be a genuine and long term relationship (I don't know about them, but I would call a 4 year de facto relationship serious) . She told me that I CANNOT come in on the visitor visa and I need to sort out my own work or student visa before I get there. She also told me that they are very generous considering that the US don't have a de-facto visa and an Australian visa costs $5000 (I would know, that is the visa my partner is currently on!)

I was infuriated, trying not to be rude, I replied that we are in a very serious 4 year relationship with 3 years living together, stayed 6 month in Ireland on a WHA and that I did know that the Australian visa price, because I have paid it!

Anyway - I talked to a lovely man at an immigration office in Dublin and you could nearly hear him rolling his eyes at the INIS workers - the false information and insinuations, I am generally shocked they told me I can't come over on a visitor visa! Maybe they are trying to stop people coming over, either way, government workers giving out false information? Horrific! I spent about an hour crying uncontrollably thinking I will never be able to live in Ireland again unless we are married!

Anyway, I am applying for my visa when I come over in December. Hopefully everything works out, I have read that they don't need proof of co-habitation for 2 whole years, only evidence that the relationship has been going on for 2 years, as in our situation, we only lived in a rental flat for around 14 months, the rest of the time together was living with family members, Australia took that as evidence so hopefully Ireland will like it!

I have jumped through the hoops of uploading endless amounts of evidence once, so hopefully I have it down pat now!

They are a mayor. No one seems to know what the procedure is. I think they have had a change of lovely ladies monitoring the de facto mailbox.

The process will take 6 months. If you are planning on coming in December be prepared to sit at home for 6 months twiddling your thumbs. If possible, you should travel here lodge your application and have all correspondence sent to your beau's family's home. I lodged my application in May and still waiting. Obviously it's not sustainable financially to live here and not work for 6 months so my partner took short term contract in Denmark. The end of his contract should con invite with a successful outcome of the visa!

What were you uploading? The INIS don't have this facility for uploading documents.

When I spoke with the nice girl in the INIS office, she told me don't need two years living together proof. She said that as long as you can show holidays and living together and whatever else to make up the two years it'll be ok.

• Advertisement

They are a mayor. No one seems to know what the procedure is. I think they have had a change of lovely ladies monitoring the de facto mailbox.

The process will take 6 months. If you are planning on coming in December be prepared to sit at home for 6 months twiddling your thumbs. If possible, you should travel here lodge your application and have all correspondence sent to your beau's family's home. I lodged my application in May and still waiting. Obviously it's not sustainable financially to live here and not work for 6 months so my partner took short term contract in Denmark. The end of his contract should con invite with a successful outcome of the visa!

What were you uploading? The INIS don't have this facility for uploading documents.

When I spoke with the nice girl in the INIS office, she told me don't need two years living together proof. She said that as long as you can show holidays and living together and whatever else to make up the two years it'll be ok.

You found a nice girl to speak to? Lucky you! I had around 2-3 emailing me, and they were all very rude and derogatory.

What kind of health insurance did you or your partner get?

Well, no, not ulploading this time round, but putting eveything in a folder!

Well I have been working away very hard here saving and trying to get my qualification before I come, so won't mind a month or two off work but 6 months is excessive. I'm glad that we are allowed to stay at his parents as long as we like which saves rent, but it isn't great!

I hope you aren't waiting too much longer, I've spent 6 months apart from my boyfriend too and that wasn't fun times!

Good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ccfsg

Hi all

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ccfsg

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Sheepology

Hi folks!

Myself and my partner have applied at the end of February and untill now we didn't hear anything from INIS. It seems they are taking longer than 6 months to give answers which is a pain.

Is there anybody having the issue?

Sheepology wrote: »
    Hi folks!

Myself and my partner have applied at the end of February and untill now we didn't hear anything from INIS. It seems they are taking longer than 6 months to give answers which is a pain.

Is there anybody having the issue?

Not uncommon, just have to read through the posts on this forum about this. With the economy on the up there is a back log. Citizenship section in Tipp Town has a back log of four weeks just to look at an application.

I wouldn't be surprised that those ladies writing those emails are even Irish. When I've rang them in the past (they've often misled when those lines are attended to for queries) a Polish person has answered.
    I spent about an hour crying uncontrollably thinking I will never be able to live in Ireland again unless we are married!

Being married to an Irish citizen doesn't guarantee you a visa. There are benefits if you do get one. The Gards don't charge you a fee, after two years of being married you are entitled to a Stamp 4 for three years and you can apply for Citizenship after being married to an Irish Citizen for 3 years (and of course residing in Ireland on a Stamp 1 or 4).

The_Bot wrote: »

Don't have to write to the office. Inform your local immigration Gard that your status has changed.

Hi guys, sent in my application and was told by the post office that I need to send it through registered post. As far as I understand, registered post is for when you want the documents to be returned back and nowhere on the website it is stated that the documents need to be posted via registered post.

My documentation was returned to me when I got my de facto decision letter.

The post office probably said that it due to being personal documentation you would have to get it registered in case it goes missing in the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 n7483

Hi everyone,

Just a message of hope for those waiting. I applied for a de facto visa in May, and finally got it!
    Make sure you submit EVERYTHING and beyond.
    Registered post is the best way to send it. It takes a few days to arrive because it goes to Roscrea.
    Apparently it's quite common that they ask you for an update on certain documents when they're looking at your file (5/6 months after submitting). After that, it shouldn't take more than a week or two to get the letter.
    Best of luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 hootyorear

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone know of anybody that has gotten an de facto visa for less than 2 years? Am hoping its possible;)

As far as I know, it's the last two years living together. I applied before and got it rejected within a day :/

• Registered Users Posts: 3 amynz

Hi everyone, I'm currently organising all of my documents to send in. I have a police clearance letter from NZ (where I'm from), do I need a police clearance letter from Ireland? Or do they run a check on you themselves? Appreciate the help. Amy

You need a Police Clearance of all the countries where you´ve lived in the last five years.

The Inis website has the full list of requirements.

You can request it to your local garda station. Some of them will do it via email.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Jack09

HI,

I'm an Irish Citizen who lived in NZ for 4 years. I met my partner there and we have lived together for 3 years. We returned to Ireland in June to live here permanently. We sent in a folder load of information to INIS in July. We got a refusal letter last week which we are about to appeal. The reason for refusal is because when we returned to Ireland in June and applied for the De facto application 3 weeks later in July - for those 3 weeks we stayed at my parents house. They stated that residing with my parents for that period of time is not akin to marriage!! We are appealing on a couple of basis: 1) we no longer reside at my parents - this was a temporary measure when we first arrived and we have already provided evidence that we rent an apartment occupied solely by us now 2) that because my partner is from NZ, a non-visa required country we HAD to be in Ireland to sent the application. 3) I have copies of all correspondence for job applications and looking for a house to rent once we got back to show we were committed to setting up a life here akin to marriage.

Has anyone else been refused based on living with Parents when you first arrived back? How did you get around this?

We're not giving up !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 amynz

I can't believe you were refused on that basis! We are going to submit our application this week but are in the exact same position. We lived at my partners parents house for 2 months when we got here while we travelled the country and looked for our own place. I feel like we should leave that part out now. Please keep us updated when you get an answer, good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Jack09

Tameanseo19 : God I feel so bad for you both - at least we didn't sell a house etc. But it seems like a very broken system. We have now went to an Immigration solicitor, FLAC and 2 immigration advisors. They all reckon it would be a strong case for appeal but can't gaurantee anything with de facto scheme as it is the least reliable scheme.
    Also they all mentioned that the appeals are currently taking up to 6 months. For us that would mean 14 months unemployment in Ireland waiting for this de facto permission for my partner. This might not be an option for us.
    It is totally frustuating and disappointing. The government urge and encourage emigrants home then make it sooo difficult for their partners, it's crazy. Also to suggest that couples who live together for over 2 years and provide that evidence are merely boyfriend/girlfriend type relationship for residing temporily with family is insulting. I think if you can live for 4 years or more in another country away from family you are clearly finanicially dependent as a couple.
    I spoke to two TD's as well but got no where with it. But it was posed to Minister Frances Fitzgerald in parliamentary questions. I can't post the link as I am new user but if you go to
    Justice.ie > media centre > parliamentary questions > 2016 October 25 > question 142
    I am happy to send you the link on the private message.
    Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 3 DianeToo

Tameanseo19 & Jack09:

I feel your frustration and angst. I have no tolerance for plain bullying and putting up with the government’s complacent and incompetent approaches in processing visas/permits. It is not my first time living and working abroad. As a Malaysian citizen who lived and worked in Australia, this sort of nonsensical and unsystematic processes leaves De Facto partners with no status in the country, and no right to work in the country, is unheard of and unacceptable.

Straightforward and clear guidelines, prerequisites and ALL required documents for processing student visas, work permits, etc. are stated in black and white, and in detail, for applications going through the Australian immigration department, unlike the ones here. No guidelines or outline of all required documents, were presented on the website or at the INIS office.

My partner and I received a follow-up letter from INIS requesting for recent utility bills for current address. As my partner and I are temporarily living at his parents’ home until the De Facto decision comes through, we are unable to provide this. It seems to us the letter from INIS is implying that we should commit to a permanent residential address and perhaps, secure a mortgage for it, when my status in Ireland is unknown and uncertain. These are long term decisions and commitments. It is utterly absurd to request for this document, to be a part of the De Facto Partnership Application.

I lodged my De Facto Partnership Application with my four-year Irish partner early August 2016, in other words, approximately six months ago. We have cohabited together in Australia (where we met) and Malaysia (my country). I have not yet received any news from INIS on this but as I am reading the outcome of your applications, I am not too optimistic about the final decision.

Seeing to this, I am writing to The Irish Times a few stories similar to mine. And was hoping you’d like to participate. Do send me a personal message here.

The reason for my actions to take it to a major Irish news publication is to put forward the ongoing unjust, abusive and inappropriate language and treatment, that I have experienced throughout my correspondence with the De Facto and related INIS departments. I would love to put through a couple of stories similar to mine, and submit it to The Irish Times.

It is this sort of incidences that is now encouraging my Irish partner and I to leave Ireland for good. Thus, defeating the Irish Government’s recent campaign purpose to encourage emigrants arriving home for their Christmas holiday to move back to Ireland permanently.

Tameanseo19 & Jack09:

I feel your frustration and angst. I have no tolerance for plain bullying and putting up with the government’s complacent and incompetent approaches in processing visas/permits. It is not my first time living and working abroad. As a Malaysian citizen who lived and worked in Australia, this sort of nonsensical and unsystematic processes leaves De Facto partners with no status in the country, and no right to work in the country, is unheard of and unacceptable.

Straightforward and clear guidelines, prerequisites and ALL required documents for processing student visas, work permits, etc. are stated in black and white, and in detail, for applications going through the Australian immigration department, unlike the ones here. No guidelines or outline of all required documents, were presented on the website or at the INIS office.

My partner and I received a follow-up letter from INIS requesting for recent utility bills for current address. As my partner and I are temporarily living at his parents’ home until the De Facto decision comes through, we are unable to provide this. It seems to us the letter from INIS is implying that we should commit to a permanent residential address and perhaps, secure a mortgage for it, when my status in Ireland is unknown and uncertain. These are long term decisions and commitments. It is utterly absurd to request for this document, to be a part of the De Facto Partnership Application.

I lodged my De Facto Partnership Application with my four-year Irish partner early August 2016, in other words, approximately six months ago. We have cohabited together in Australia (where we met) and Malaysia (my country). I have not yet received any news from INIS on this but as I am reading the outcome of your applications, I am not too optimistic about the final decision.

Seeing to this, I am writing to The Irish Times a few stories similar to mine. And was hoping you’d like to participate. Do send me a personal message here.

The reason for my actions to take it to a major Irish news publication is to put forward the ongoing unjust, abusive and inappropriate language and treatment, that I have experienced throughout my correspondence with the De Facto and related INIS departments. I would love to put through a couple of stories similar to mine, and submit it to The Irish Times.

It is this sort of incidences that is now encouraging my Irish partner and I to leave Ireland for good. Thus, defeating the Irish Government’s recent campaign purpose to encourage emigrants arriving home for their Christmas holiday to move back to Ireland permanently.

Hi Tameanseo19

I am pleased to hear that you are open to sharing your story with the Irish Times. Kindly send it through to [removed - PM if you want to share contact details]

And the end of the day, it really boils down to why on earth was the De Facto Partnership Immigration Permission established in the first place? They are better off not having the department at all if they are going to decline genuine and legitimate applicants.

Looking forward to hear from you via email.

Thanks a bunch, Diane.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 erinice89

Hello all,

I have recently applied for defacto with my Irish partner. Just want to know what are the chances of my application given that there are people with experience here.

The evidence we have submitted are

Friends and family members attesting to our relationship
    dated photographs throughout the entire relationship
    air tix emails
    Photo of sisters wedding attended in Ireland
    wedding invitation cards, cards mailed from ireland to Singapore addressing both of us
    screenshots of our chat and calls throughout the relationship

unfortunately we do not have any financial evidence as it wasnt common practise to do so until married in Singapore. We are staying in a rented apartment of our own at the moment

The questions I would like to ask are:

I just sent the application through the mail. How long do i get an answer from them that they received it.
    If they were to reject, how long will it take?
    it they were to process, how long will it take?

has any of you guys submitted similar type of evidence, and what were the outcomes?

Cheers
    yuxuan

• Advertisement
Advertisement