Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bargain watch.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,457 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Just the one pair? :eek: Must drop in myself for a look.

I got one top and two long johns. That was all that was left in my size in the Aldi store that I went to. And it took a good bit of searching to find them as well. It was like a bomb went off in the aisle, with skiing stuff everywhere and anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭AlternateID

I got one top and two long johns. That was all that was left in my size in the Aldi store that I went to. And it took a good bit of searching to find them as well. It was like a bomb went off in the aisle, with skiing stuff everywhere and anywhere.

That's why I shop online from the comfort of my throne.

That's why I shop online from the comfort of my throne.

:) I would normally shop online too. But since this was my first time buying merino wool baselayers, I didn't want to spend too much, and I wanted to be able to return them easily if they didn't fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

Well, I went to TKMaxx in Blanch yesterday, only saw one jacket which was bright bright orange for 259 Euro which was Gore-Tex, really small choice tbh.

Then also went to 53DegreesNorth next to TKMaxx and well they were packed with ski clothing and I was surprised to hear: "We don't sell any snowboard jackets unfortunately"

So I will be ordering online.
    My budget expanded so I have more options available now.

No snowboard jackets? There is some really baggy jackets that are snowboard specific and there's more streamlined jackets that are ski orientated but everything else is fair game.

Their loss. Probably all black, grey or white anyway.

Have a look at http://www.the-house.com/ for more ideas.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

arleitiss wrote: »
    Well, I went to TKMaxx in Blanch yesterday, only saw one jacket which was bright bright orange for 259 Euro which was Gore-Tex, really small choice tbh.

Then also went to 53DegreesNorth next to TKMaxx and well they were packed with ski clothing and I was surprised to hear: "We don't sell any snowboard jackets unfortunately"

So I will be ordering online.
    My budget expanded so I have more options available now.

Gore-tex ski gear is hard to come by in TK Maxx and even in a lot of the out door shops as its very expensive (and arguably not necessary/worth it for ski/boarding). Snow and Rock would be worth a visit.

Checked out the-house.com , nice site but stuff is shipped from US and I would like avoid shipping from outside of EU.

Visited Snow and Rock, fell in love with one specific jacket.
    http://www.snowandrock.com/dc-mens-torstein-corruption-jacket/dc-jacket/ski-snowboard-outdoor-sports/fcp-product/69027?listing=true

Will still look around, if I don't find anything else I might go for that one.

arleitiss wrote: »
    Checked out the-house.com , nice site but stuff is shipped from US and I would like avoid shipping from outside of EU.

Visited Snow and Rock, fell in love with one specific jacket.
    http://www.snowandrock.com/dc-mens-torstein-corruption-jacket/dc-jacket/ski-snowboard-outdoor-sports/fcp-product/69027?listing=true

Will still look around, if I don't find anything else I might go for that one.

Don't worry about price. First find what you like. Colours, features and so on. Then the hunt begins to find it, or similar, at an affordable price.

This might help. This seasons kit will cost €200 plus. Last season and before will be just as good for far less.

DC 2013-14 catalogue.

https://app.box.com/s/bp52fr15vhhd4etkbay3

Can't seem to find the 14-15.

This might help. This seasons kit will cost €200 plus. Last season and before will be just as good for far less.

DC 2013-14 catalogue.

https://app.box.com/s/bp52fr15vhhd4etkbay3

Can't seem to find the 14-15.

Thanks, that's helpful.
    I also checked if there are any DC stores in Dublin, apparently there is one in Galway :D but not in Dublin for some reason.

• Advertisement

There is loads of clothing on the 53 Degrees North website with 20% off. Free delivery over €49 I think. The sale is only online, and I don't think it's advertised in-store.

I bought a North Face jacket last week for €264. It was €330 in their shops, and in Snow + Rock, and on The North Face website.

Gonna go to Snow+Rock tomorrow in Dundrum considering I live 10 minutes from it.

Well, trip to Snow+Rock was good.
    Bought all stuff totalling 730 Euro.

Got decent gloves black and red (Salomon)
    Salomon black and red jacket.
    Trousers with suspenders (Schoffel)
    Anon MIG Goggles with two lenses.
    Some thermal layers.

Thanks for help guys, sorry for causing a chat here.

Awesome Animal Chilam jacket for a bargain price if someone wants it. This is one of the jackets I currently use. It says it's a large.

Ends in an hour.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Animal-snowboard-and-ski-jacket-/262169028103?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

Awesome Animal Chilam jacket for a bargain price if someone wants it. This is one of the jackets I currently use. It says it's a large.

Ends in an hour.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Animal-snowboard-and-ski-jacket-/262169028103?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

I have that exact jacket too, it's very good. Bought it on Amazon summer 2014 for 50e

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

Quiksilver went busto back in September and similar to when Nike Snowboarding was gone - I can't find any of their stock going cheap!

stevire wrote: »
    Quiksilver went busto back in September and similar to when Nike Snowboarding was gone - I can't find any of their stock going cheap!

I think it was only Nikes hard goods. Boards and bindings.

Quicksilver are gone but the products are still the same price with retailers. It's not often you'd return a jacket for a warranty claim. I must have a look for some.

Love my Animal kit.

Id expect a big lag in stuff coming on stream. TK Maxx might see the stuff next season assuming that it doesn't all end up in discount malls in the US.

Rew wrote: »
    Id expect a big lag in stuff coming on stream. TK Maxx might see the stuff next season assuming that it doesn't all end up in discount malls in the US.

If the factory does some kind of sale on left over stock it will be snapped up by one of the big retailers in the states or the distributors themselves will take it as it's still good quality kit.

TK won't see any of it unless it's left over at the end of the season and return to distributors.

For anyone interested in the quicksilver story. I wouldn't expect to see any cheap stuff.

http://www.northernstar.com.au/news/quicksilver-doing-fine-locally-despite-going-bust-/2768805/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

http://ie.sportsdirect.com/pricecrash/price-crash-7

Heap of Helly H gear on sale on SportsDirect.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Skibunny77

Thanks Cardinal J - just picked up a fab Helly Hanson ski jacket down from 383 to 96! How's that for a bargain?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

CardinalJ wrote: »

DAMN YOU! I WANT IT ALL!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

olaola wrote: »
    DAMN YOU! I WANT IT ALL!

That first orange mens jacket is nice. I could really see myself tumbling down the mountain in that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

A few salomon bits on sports direct

http://www.sportsdirect.com/pricecrash/price-crash-1

http://ie.sportsdirect.com/flash-sale-two

Heaps of stuff on sportsdirect but the sale ends at 6am tomorrow morning though.

http://ie.sportsdirect.com/flash-sale-two

Heaps of stuff on sportsdirect but the sale ends at 6am tomorrow morning though.

Do Snow and Rock normally have a Ski gear sale annually? If so any ideas when it normally kicks in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

Rew wrote: »
    Do Snow and Rock normally have a Ski gear sale annually? If so any ideas when it normally kicks in?

Normally around the start of March, but it is normally pretty poor until they start getting to low stock levels.

TK Maxx starting to get gear in. One in Ilac Centre has a ton of Mountain Hardwear and Colombia down jackets which may suit some.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

CardinalJ wrote: »
    TK Maxx starting to get gear in. One in Ilac Centre has a ton of Mountain Hardwear and Colombia down jackets which may suit some.

Yep Swords, has Spyder mid layers and jackets, Mountain Hardware stuff by the bucket load, especially puffer jackets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

Also worth checking on Amazon for bargains.
    I get a lot of stuff from there , check both warehouse deals and brand labels selling old stock.
    I picked up a couple of eider jackets for £30 each and a nice trespass one for £20
    Tends to be oddball sizes for the cheaper options but you strike lucky now and then

edit: had a quick look myself , red eider jacket for women size medium £32

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Eider-Aoraki-Womens-Jacket-Fabricant/dp/B00L7LCC2K/ref=sr_1_41?ie=UTF8&qid=1474360199&sr=8-41&keywords=eider%2Bski%2Bjackets&th=1&psc=1

Still have a load of cheap trespass jackets , 15k waterproof and 8k breathability for £30ish

Loads of Gore-Tex in TK Maxx Stephens Green, Volcom and Okaley, and not just in XXXXXL sizes shockingly!

• Advertisement

Lidl have a load of ski gear coming in on 3/11

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭peejay1986

cormee wrote: »
    Lidl have a load of ski gear coming in on 3/11

As a beginner (going skiing for first time in March) I'd be very interested to hear opinions of Lidl's ski gear from those with more experience.

Worth buying?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

peejay1986 wrote: »
    As a beginner (going skiing for first time in March) I'd be very interested to hear opinions of Lidl's ski gear from those with more experience.

Worth buying?

not sure about Lidl stuff, but if looking to keep it cheap and still get good gear
    https://www.mountainwarehouse.com/eu/clearance/ski/

Worth buying?

Most, if not all, of it is going to meet a basic standard. If you're just starting out, and unsure of whether you are going to keep it up or not you could do worse than getting some of their gear. Then, if you do decide to continue, replace the Lidl stuff that you aren't happy with, as needs be.
    When I started out it was with a complete €100 set of gear from Capel Camping, it was fine for a year or two, and I built it up from that.
    The first year you probably won't be venturing beyond greens, blues and maybe an easy red, that's not going to put massive stress on the gear so you should be OK.
    I'm not suggesting for a second it would be suitable for an experienced skier/boarder who spends more time on trickier slopes.
    If you are starting out, by the way, invest in padding, certainly in the case of snowboarding, I don't ski so I'm not sure how important it is, but I'd imagine at the very least you should get wrist guards.

Worth buying?

It's terrible spend the extra 20-30 euro and go to TK MAXX! None of the lidil stuff is breathable so you will get wet from the inside out

• Advertisement

Fattes wrote: »
    It's terrible spend the extra 20-30 euro and go to TK MAXX! None of the lidil stuff is breathable so you will get wet from the inside out

I wore a pair of Lidl ski pants for most of a trip last year, after my own, far more expensive pants ripped, and they were absolutely perfect, almost as good as the pair that cost over ten times more. We were out in all conditions too, and there were no issues. I certainly didn't get wet from the inside out.

The button burst and the zip ripped after I took a fairly hard fall, but that was because they were a bit too small for me, as they weren't mine.

He can spend 20-30 more on each item though and get better quality, but by the time he's bought a full outfit he'll have spent at least €100 more, if that's not a concern then go for it, but there is always the risk he'll never ski again and have about €300 worth of gear he's only worn for 5 days sitting in the wardrobe.

The only thing they are selling, that I'd be dubious of (for someone on their first trip), would be the goggles.

I wore a pair of Lidl ski pants for most of a trip last year, after my own, far more expensive pants ripped, and they were absolutely perfect, almost as good as the pair that cost over ten times more. We were out in all conditions too, and there were no issues. I certainly didn't get wet from the inside out.

The button burst and the zip ripped after I took a fairly hard fall, but that was because they were a bit too small for me, as they weren't mine.

He can spend 20-30 more on each item though and get better quality, but by the time he's bought a full outfit he'll have spent at least €100 more, if that's not a concern then go for it, but there is always the risk he'll never ski again and have about €300 worth of gear he's only worn for 5 days sitting in the wardrobe.

The only thing they are selling, that I'd be dubious of (for someone on their first trip), would be the goggles.

What they sell is basically a black bag in terms of breath ability. Beginners tend to be on the warmest lowest slopes in resorts, they tend to exert more physical effort than more experienced holidaymakers. They spend more time, getting up walking and working harder than you or other regular snow sports participants.

The only basic snowsports kit that is not usable on a regular basis is the pants. Jacket and gloves are reusable every day in winter

Fattes wrote: »
    What they sell is basically a black bag in terms of breath ability. Beginners tend to be on the warmest lowest slopes in resorts, they tend to exert more physical effort than more experienced holidaymakers. They spend more time, getting up walking and working harder than you or other regular snow sports participants.

The only basic snowsports kit that is not usable on a regular basis is the pants. Jacket and gloves are reusable every day in winter

Regarding breathability - that doesn't tally with my experience, the pants were fine - no sweat or dampness. Have you ever worn them?
    Regarding effort - are you really trying to suggest that someone traveling at about 5-10k p/h on a nursery slope is using more physical effort than someone traveling at 50k + down a black or red slope, trying to keep control?
    Regarding wearing a ski jacket in day-to-day life - personally speaking, my gear goes in the closet in March and stays there until January. Even if I wasn't ever going to snowboard again I wouldn't, with all the pockets and zips they look silly anywhere but in a ski resort. I've used an old one for gardening in the past but that's it.

Anyway, I'm sure peejay1986 has enough information to make his decision, so I'm leaving it at that.

Regarding effort - are you really trying to suggest that someone traveling at about 5k p/h on a nursery slope is using more physical effort than someone traveling at 50k + down a black or red slope, trying to keep control?

Someone new to it will exert them selves because they aren't conditioned or experienced, their adrenaline will get going their body is trying to figure out what muscles to use, they will use brute force over technique.

I can get down any black handy enough but if Fattes and I did the same one I guarantee you I would exert my self more. I sweat way less now then I did on my first few trips.

Regarding breathability - that doesn't tally with my experience, the pants were fine - no sweat or dampness. Have you ever worn them?
    Regarding effort - are you really trying to suggest that someone traveling at about 5-10k p/h on a nursery slope is using more physical effort than someone traveling at 50k + down a black or red slope, trying to keep control?
    Regarding wearing a ski jacket in day-to-day life - personally speaking, my gear goes in the closet in March and stays there until January. Even if I wasn't ever going to snowboard again I wouldn't, with all the pockets and zips they look silly anywhere but in a ski resort. I've used an old one for gardening in the past but that's it.

Anyway, I'm sure peejay1986 has enough information to make his decision, so I'm leaving it at that.

Yeah and not me saying it, tons of research done about energy expended. When you are travelling at 50kph gravity and natural centrapidal and centrifugal forces make the movements easier on your muscle and skeletal system. Also again beginners areas tend to be at lower altitudes ad with warmer exposures. Beginners expend more physical force, expend more energy and are also more tense due to the Unknown. Normally the first 30 min of a ski board lesson you don't use a lift! They are walking up, The effort of getting themselves up on a flat slope say 4/5 times in a 3 hour lesson! Absolute bucket loads of industry research on it. It's not just my opinion, it is a well researched and proven reality.

Yes I have worn there kit, the max breath ability any of their kit had last year was 8,000mm per sq. it's a pretty exact scientific measurement of material breath ability! Industry Average is approx 10,000-12,000. Same with waterproofing. It makes a difference, if my father a man who loves Lidil and Aldi can notice the difference between his good kit and the stuff he bought there, that is the ultimate test! My dad is a big believer in sure that is just overpriced! However he wore also Gear once for a week and won't wear it again

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭akasudonim

OK, so now my plan's kinda in tatters. Taking our 3 kids to Austria in Jan, first time skiing for them, ages 15, 13, and 11. Was planning kitting them out with Lidl gear (ski gear in tomorrow) for their first time, as it may be their last too, though I think they'll love it.
    Everything's needed, from underwear to goggles. For me too, as it's been some years since I skiied and I need the full suite.
    So instead of Lidl, or in conjunction with some of Lidl gear (thermals & socks perhaps), any online recommendations that wont break the bank for x4 sets? Would there be value in the resorts themselves (I'm assuming not, captured audience etc.)
    Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭maddness

If you have time tomorrow go to Lidl and get your socks, gloves and thermals.
    Then go to TK Max and see what you can pick up. It's not as cheap as Lidl but tends to be much better quality kit. I got a pair of ski trousers last year for €39 and I've a Quicksilver jacket that wa less than €100 I think.
    Online is ok but sizes can be funny in ski gear, I've a small and a medium jacket that both fit perfectly from the same brand!

They had Spyder jackets in St Stephens Green TK Maxx for €99 today, 5k/10k breathability/waterproof

akasudonim wrote: »
    OK, so now my plan's kinda in tatters. Taking our 3 kids to Austria in Jan, first time skiing for them, ages 15, 13, and 11. Was planning kitting them out with Lidl gear (ski gear in tomorrow) for their first time, as it may be their last too, though I think they'll love it.
    Everything's needed, from underwear to goggles. For me too, as it's been some years since I skiied and I need the full suite.
    So instead of Lidl, or in conjunction with some of Lidl gear (thermals & socks perhaps), any online recommendations that wont break the bank for x4 sets? Would there be value in the resorts themselves (I'm assuming not, captured audience etc.)
    Thanks.

First off you won't need Goggles! You could get a week of blue skies and sunshine and never use them! If you really need them you can pick up really cheap ones in resort normally around 10 euro depending on where you are.

The base layers will be fine, from Aldi, especially the natural fibre ones, If it is the difference between a holiday and no holiday go for it! The teenagers will have or should have enough fun that they may not notice, or have the same issues as adults would in the gear.

Spyder! ewwww Good for Russians ;) There mid layers, base layers are excellent the tech specs on their outerwear kit is terrible. e

Fattes wrote:
    Spyder! ewwww Good for Russians There mid layers, base layers are excellent the tech specs on their outerwear kit is terrible. e

Haha. Ive a similar block about spyder. Few trips to Innsbruck airport where you see the Aeroflot flight just FULL of spyder gear.

• Advertisement
Advertisement