Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why can't we leave the clocks on summertime year round?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,019 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

So far, the list of people who benefit with a change are folk on here who do not want to get up an hour earlier to benefit from the lighter mornings

7am isn't the most sociable hour of the day. But of course I could get up and shoehorning in some activity or other.

Changing time zone for the whole country try is a but drastic without at least a good reason except the sunset of primary school children in the countryside who have bus drop off points that are also in the country try side and don't have any lighting who are being supervised anyway. That's a niche group, changing time zones for the country try is a bit like overkill.

Who are all the rest of these people who benefit from the change? Surely the case doesn't rest on a few children. There must be at least some good reasons. Maybe there are but nobody can think of them.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Not all parts of North American observe daylight saving time, and those that do do not all make the switch on the same day. This is true not just between different North American countries, but even within North American countries.

Europe is far more co-ordinated on this that North America is, and if there is to be agreement on standard days for making the switch, it's obvious that the existing European standard days should be adopted, since there are no North American standard days. Plus, far more people live in the EU than in North America, so having North Americans make the switch will inconvenience fewer people.

But the fact is that there is a limit to the amount of co-ordination that you can hope to acheive. Whether daylight saving makes sense at all and, if it does, what form of daylight saving, and when it should take effect, is determined to a large extent by geographical factors which - by
    definition - will vary from place to place.

By North America I mean the US and Canada where daylight saving begins on the second Sunday of March and ends on the first Sunday in November. Of course, not all parts observe summer time - individual states/provinces can choose weather or not to do so just as individual countries in the EU can do likewise (although all EU states currently observe daylight saving).

Central America & the Caribbean, being at or near tropical latitudes, would seem to have little to gain from observing daylight saving, although some parts do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Right2Write

pedigree 6 wrote: »
    I like my bright evenings.:mad:

I like my bright mornings! If we didn't adjust the clocks, it'd be dark past 8 in the morning. Horrible :(
    biko wrote: »
    Afaik wintertime is normal time and summertime is the "special" adjustment.

Indeed it is, 'winter time' is based on the sensible premise that there should be roughly the same amount of daylight either side of mid day / noon. Get's bright at 7am, gets dark at 5pm.

OP, just get up earlier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Right2Write

In fact, the logical thing to do would be just to keep the clocks on 'winter time'. Our ancestors never worried about these things, they just got up when it got bright and tended towards the fire & leaba when it got dark.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Usually people go on about farmers being the reason for this.
    Totally true. They get docked if they show up to work late.

Or maybe, just maybe farmers do most of their work during daylight hours ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Its really simple. Kids shouldn't be walking to school in the dark.
    Only one in four walk anymore.

Also if schools hours were different to work hours then traffic congestion would be much reduced. Or use school buses.

Anyway in a few years time it'll be self driving cars with infra red sensors and stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭long range shooter

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Go to Sweden or Norway and on sunny days people stand on street corners and in parks just soaking up the vitamin D

Swedes are obsessed about a sun holiday in the middle of winter. Thailand is full of them

Have you ever lived in the artic circle?
    You know its nearly 24 hour daylight in the summer and nearly complete darkness in the wintermonths.
    So vitamin D is an important factor for sure.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,626 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I hate when the clocks to back. I hate it getting dark at 5pm in the late afternoon.

Rant over.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

This Irish MEP seems to be majorly confused!

An Irish MEP has argued that the clocks should not go forward again next year.

Deirdre Clune, Member of the European Parliament for Ireland South, has said that removing Daylight Savings could promote safety on Irish roads and benefit people’s health.

“Brighter evenings would lead to improved outcomes for road safety as the roads are more dangerous from the hours of 4-7pm.

"There are obvious economic benefits such as reduced energy consumption because of less need for artificial light in the evenings with a consequent reduction in CO2 emissions," she said.

“Brighter evenings would have a positive benefit for public health.

"One study of 23,000 children, published by the BBC, found that their daily activity levels were 15 to 20 per cent higher on summer days than winter days and that moving the clocks back causes a five per cent drop in physical activity.”

Why do we have to pay people who can't even think straight?

http://www.msn.com/en-ie/news/national/were-turning-the-clocks-back-this-weekend-but-heres-why-one-irish-mep-believes-we-should-stop-daylight-savings/ar-AAjy3zj?li=BBr5KbJ

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭hytrogen

Try changing times zones every two/three days and having one day advance while retarding an hour for a month. Then you've crossed the Pacific from India to 'Merica like I did, & still in recovery!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Right so this Saturday night the clocks go back an hour.
    Why do we have to do this?
    Does this happen all over the world this weekend?

I get the argument that it was to help schoolchildren get to school in the mornings. But that was when most children walked or cycled to school.
    Nowadays kids are driven to school by their parents or schoolbus.

Are there any other reasons why the clocks have to go back an hour?

Can we just not leave it the way it is.
    I like my bright evenings.:mad:

Many countries don't operate clock changes.

In West Africa, they tend to use UTC+1 all year. No change at any point.

West Africa tends to be the same time as Ireland in summer because we move to UTC+1 from March to October. They stay at UTC+1.

In winter, we revert to UTC and they stick with UTC+1.... thus opening a one-hour gap.

I believe that Sydney changed into summertime (forward) a few weeks ago.

In our summer, we are nine hours behind Sydney.

For October, we are temporarily ten hours behind Sydney.

Tomorrow, we become eleven hours behind Sydney.

United States will change next week, so NYC is only four hours behind Dublin tomorrow.

As a complete aside, if anyone remembers Around the World in 80 Days, Passepartout accidentally realised they had crossed the International Date Line in the Pacific Ocean and didn't miss the deadline.... they gained 24 hours by crossing a line and made the Reform Club before the bell chimed.

Another piece of trivia (no longer true). Where can you throw a basketball and it will land one hour later?

The school gym in College Corner on the Ohio/Indiana State Line.

One hoop was in Ohio.... it observed Eastern Time. The shooter was throwing from Indiana on Central Time.

A time zone adjustment put an end to this

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    Many countries don't operate clock changes.

In West Africa, they tend to use UTC+1 all year. No change at any point.
    Between the tropics there's 12 hours of daylight every day so there isn't any daylight to save.

Even further north, and further back in time the Romans used a simple time system. When the sun rose it was 6 in the morning. When it set it was 6 in the evening. Flexible hours indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

I was trying to organise two separate calls with some colleagues in Sydney & San Francisco during the week and my head almost exploded trying to work out a suitable time that wouldn't mean me coming in a stupid o'clock or them having to stay too late

Oz clocks go forward in Oct back in April
    SF are 8 hours behind now but 7 behind GMT which all changes next week when our clocks go back or does it.....I give up

and Muricans seem completely oblivious to any of this going on at all which doesn't help

Nothing worse than having an online meeting with American partners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭The Raptor

It's 18.10 right now and it's getting dark. By tomorrow it'll be getting dark at 17.10.

I don't ever remember it getting dark that early at this time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,180 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

The Raptor wrote: »
    It's 18.10 right now and it's getting dark. By tomorrow it'll be getting dark at 17.10.

I don't ever remember it getting dark that early at this time of year.

Speaking of which, I remember it being dark one year at 4:30pm. Talking 20 years ago or something. My dad was coming in from work. Was a really weird sight.

Speaking of which, I remember it being dark one year at 4:30pm. Talking 20 years ago or something. My dad was coming in from work. Was a really weird sight.

That was be around Christmas?. It's dark very early then.

That was be around Christmas?. It's dark very early then.

Couldn't tell you the exact month as it was so long ago. But your probably right being around Christmas.
    It's strange tho as I've never noticed it get dark that early since. Like full on pitch black at 4:30. In recent years closet has been 5pm / 5:15.

I remember working in a call centre about ten years ago doing 12 hour shifts. I'd walk into work when it was still dark and would leave when it got dark again. Seeing how there was a cafe in the building I didn't have to even leave the place on lunch. It was so weird seeing the sun on days off lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Why can't we leave the clocks on summertime year round?

In a word 'Scotland'.

That's the real reason for the clocks changing, what with them being so far north & all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Couldn't tell you the exact month as it was so long ago. But your probably right being around Christmas.
    It's strange tho as I've never noticed it get dark that early since. Like full on pitch black at 4:30. In recent years closet has been 5pm / 5:15.

I remember working in a call centre about ten years ago doing 12 hour shifts. I'd walk into work when it was still dark and would leave when it got dark again. Seeing how there was a cafe in the building I didn't have to even leave the place on lunch. It was so weird seeing the sun on days off lol.

You're almost certainly remembering wrong, or lived at a higher latitude at the time. Sunset in December 1996 was just after 4PM, Sunset in December 2016 will be....just after 4PM.

http://www.timeanddate.com/sun/ireland/dublin?month=12&year=1996

http://www.timeanddate.com/sun/ireland/dublin?month=12&year=2016

You're almost certainly remembering wrong, or lived at a higher latitude at the time. Sunset in December 1996 was just after 4PM, Sunset in December 2016 will be....just after 4PM.

http://www.timeanddate.com/sun/ireland/dublin?month=12&year=1996

http://www.timeanddate.com/sun/ireland/dublin?month=12&year=2016

I don't know when the year was mate. Going back around or over 20 years ago. Was only a kid at the time.

But sheesh you actually went to the trouble of pulling those links?

• Advertisement

LordSutch wrote: »
    In a word 'Scotland'.

That's the real reason for the clocks changing, what with them being so far north & all that.
    Last time I went to Scotland I had to set my watch back ... to the mid 1980's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

I don't know when the year was mate. Going back around or over 20 years ago. Was only a kid at the time.

But sheesh you actually went to the trouble of pulling those links?

Newgrange is still in line with the length of day (give or take) after 5000 years, so the idea that the length of day has changed in your lifetime is a bit ridiculous. I just presented the facts.

Newgrange is still in line with the length of day (give or take) after 5000 years, so the idea that the length of day has changed in your lifetime is a bit ridiculous. I just presented the facts.

Sorry I don't know if it was your intention.. But you kinda come off as petty. I said something in passing.. Hey look maybe your right. But who gives a sh*t like to go off and post links... Then coming back with oh well new Grange etc. Who cares? :pac: is this a serious topic? We're all talking about the clocks going back. It's hardly talking about a referendum.

Not to go off topic... But I've noticed this alot on boards lately. Everyone wants to be right. No matter how small or trivial something is. Even to the point of trying to be right when opinions are expressed.

But alas maybe it's just me. But if I am correct your response to this was you are still right. While I'm still wrong. Right :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Last time I went to Scotland I had to set my watch back ... to the mid 1980's.

That bad is it? and maybe if they win their 2nd UK exit ref they can have their own time zone too :)

Failing that, they can keep changing their clocks twice yearly, while the rest of us stay on GMT.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,434 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I'll tell you something I wish we could have just the two seasons, spring and summer and drop the winter and autumn seasons.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,024 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Germans did it during World War one moving the clocks forward in the summer time to help save coal during the war now it is used to help save energy in the summer months

Has the time changed yet?

I woke up from a nap and i don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,075 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Has the time changed yet?

I woke up from a nap and i don't know.

yes

• Registered Users Posts: 12,443 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Stupid extra hour in work for no extra pay.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭Stasi 2.0

The clock on my wall says 2:19 right now and that's the way it's going to stay for the rest of the year and no government of sick corrupt perverted stinking clock molesting bastards will tell me otherwise. They can send the filth around if they like but anyone who tries coming through my door to lay their hands on my clocks will be going out the same door in a six foot wooden box. I'm sitting right here in my rocking chair with my double barrelled shotgun with my eye on the front door ready for the first of them and I have enough ammunition to take out the whole posse. I am not a violent man but I'm not having the scum anywhere near my clocks. If we sit back and let them interfere with our clocks we might as well let them interfere with our kids as well because that's what they'll do !
    Stupid extra hour in work for no extra pay.
    If it takes you below the minimum wage you should report your employer.

Advertisement