Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why can't we leave the clocks on summertime year round?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,414 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

But your post time says 1:19?

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Willie Stroker 1976

Dont wind him up he has a double barrell and sounds like a lunatic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Imagine if we kept putting the clocks back an hour, every hour, like there's no tomorrow. There would be no tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Mr. FoggPatches

Every f%cjin year.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭cumulonimbus

Stupid extra hour in work for no extra pay.

why do you not get 1hr overtime if you are working an extra hour.:confused:
    I get paid for the extra hour in autumn timechange and get paid for the full 8 hours even though I only work 7 hours in spring changeover.
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭meath4sam

RayM wrote: »
    Imagine if we kept putting the clocks back an hour, every hour, like there's no tomorrow. There would be no tomorrow.

Sure there's a song about that. If tomorrow never comes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭The Raptor

I was up far too early this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

its never going to happen,

pointless having this debate every year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭Stasi 2.0

Post 118 01:48
    Post 119 01:00
    I mean what the actual f**k
    Germans did it during World War one moving the clocks forward in the summer time to help save coal during the war now it is used to help save energy in the summer months

It was actually the UK and when they tried extending it to Ireland in 1916 there was an uprising yet the Quisling traitors of the so-called Free state went along with it.
    fryup wrote: »
    its never going to happen,
    pointless having this debate every year

Its actually twice a year and lots of countries have seen the swindle for what it is (up there with Fiat currency and Incorporation) and did away with it

Anyways Its still 15:07 by my clock and my shotgun is still loaded and ready !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

I love it getting dark early in the evenings I hate the long evenings in the summer.

I commute by bus so the long evenings mean I can't sleep as well during the summertime on the journey home but now it's perfect.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'd miss the morning light I have to say but equally on a gloomy day almost dark by 5 is a bit dismal.

Why can't we just invent an extra hour for winter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I'd prefer just leaving the clocks on GMT all year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

I agree with the op, I'm sick of this sh't. I didn't even put my clocks back. I'm just going to watch RTE+1 for the next few months. Won't notice the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Usually people go on about farmers being the reason for this. I really detest it. Dark at 5pm, it's horrible. I kind of like dark mornings however. If it is to do with farmers, can't they just adjust their working days?

Blame the farmers for everything :D I'm a farmer and I can tell you that whoever says that, it's baloney.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

If clocks were left forward the year round then farmers and other outdoor workers lose an hour in the morning, not to mention commuters. In some more northern areas sunrise wouldn't occur until close to 10AM at the most extreme.

I'm a farmer and it's dark when I get up (5:30am) since September, it doesn't make a blind bit of difference to farmers so why is everyone on here blaming them for it :confused: In fact I would rather it stayed at summer time all year round as it would suit me better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Sam Kade wrote: »
    I'm a farmer and it's dark when I get up (5:30am) since September, it doesn't make a blind bit of difference to farmers so why is everyone on here blaming them for it :confused: In fact I would rather it stayed at summer time all year round as it would suit me better.

But not the farming community of Scotland.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,340 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Officially winter time is the real time is it not before the UK and Ireland introduced it? I much prefer the summer time as well! Longer evenings not so dark than brighter mornings. The hour change didn't make much a difference for me as it would for the summer would miss that hour!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,884 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I have jetlag now FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,697 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Only the government would think that it could cut a foot off the top of a blanket and sew it to the bottom of a blanket and then have a longer blanket.
    Daylight saving, meh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭long range shooter

Last time I went to Scotland I had to set my watch back ... to the mid 1980's.

So did i, coming from Norway to Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

So standing in the dark is only likely to be a problem for primary school children. The demographic is getting smaller. Shouldn't primary school children be supervised by someone in charge of them anyway?

Isn't that just part of the normal risk of leaving the house? Wouldn't high vis vests be a more measured solution?

Changing the time school starts and ends would be a more measured solution than changing the time zone for the whole country to protect primary school children who should he supervised anyway.

There might be only one or two children at each bus 'stop' (usually the crossroads or somewhere along a country road). Parents either going to work themselves or dealing with other children. Who could do the supervision?
    It's generally secondary students though, as most villages have a primary school.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,173 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

You're almost certainly remembering wrong, or lived at a higher latitude at the time. Sunset in December 1996 was just after 4PM, Sunset in December 2016 will be....just after 4PM.

http://www.timeanddate.com/sun/ireland/dublin?month=12&year=1996

http://www.timeanddate.com/sun/ireland/dublin?month=12&year=2016

It's 4:43 and its been dark for the last 20 minutes. Couldnt help but remember what you said. So yeah...

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭md23040

Apologises for digging up an old thread but it's not worth the subject matter starting a new one.

I do not mind the clock going back at the end of October (although it could wait a week), otherwise the morning would be dark to after 9am in late November and December. But what really grates me is that we have to wait until the last Sunday in March until they go forward again. Based on the North West of Ireland being possibly the time zone within GMT that it is last to get light in the morning, there is brightness emerging from 7.20am. So if the clocks went forward now this weekend, it would be lighting up at the latest at 8.20am.

Think of the stretched evening if the clocks went forward now and how good that would be for peoples general well being and also the massive savings this would have on central heating, as instead of the house feeling cold at 5.00 after sun down it would be 6.00 o clock. One less hours of heating would save households a considerable amount of money and help Ireland meet its Co2 targets rather than sticking pointless carbons taxes on fuel.

Should governments across Europe change earlier than the last week in March, or can someone explain the rationale or logic behind it. Maybe there should be a petition. I'd like to come home from work these days and be able to go walking etc in more light, and getting outdoors in sunshine, what little bit there is to make the most it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,551 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

md23040 wrote: »
    But what really grates me is that we have to wait until the last Sunday in March until they go forward again. Based on the North West of Ireland being possibly the time zone within GMT that it is last to get light in the morning, there is brightness emerging from 7.20am.

You are about 10° West, so 40 minutes different to Greenwich. If you got what you wanted, many people in London might be unhappy.

I can see the logic of changing clocks close to the Spring Equinox. But they don't change again until the end of October. Closer to the Autumn Equinox would be more logical.

md23040 wrote:
    Think of the stretched evening if the clocks went forward now and how good that would be for peoples general well being and also the massive savings this would have on central heating, as instead of the house feeling cold at 5.00 after sun down it would be 6.00 o clock. One less hours of heating would save households a considerable amount of money and help Ireland meet its Co2 targets rather than sticking pointless carbons taxes on fuel.

Should governments across Europe change earlier than the last week in March, or can someone explain the rationale or logic behind it. Maybe there should be a petition. I'd like to come home from work these days and be able to go walking etc in more light, and getting outdoors in sunshine, what little bit there is to make the most it.

I don't enjoy the long evenings and much prefer the brightness in the morning. Can't you just be happy that you get your fake time for over half the year as it is? More and more studies are showing the adverse effects on health of switching to this artificial time - with little evidence it has much impact on energy conservation at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭md23040

You are about 10° West, so 40 minutes different to Greenwich. If you got what you wanted, many people in London might be unhappy.

I can see the logic of changing clocks close to the Spring Equinox. But they don't change again until the end of October. Closer to the Autumn Equinox would be more logical.

Why would people on London be unhappy the clocks go forward start of February? Sunrise there is 7.30am with light building from around 6.50am, and they have sun set about 4.40pm at moment and would gain an extra hours light when most people are out and about. Sunrise is 8.15am in North West Ireland with light emerging from 7.30am. But each to their own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

I don't enjoy the long evenings and much prefer the brightness in the morning. Can't you just be happy that you get your fake time for over half the year as it is? More and more studies are showing the adverse effects on health of switching to this artificial time - with little evidence it has much impact on energy conservation at all.

How much brightness do you need. Summertime sunrise is 5 AM but it’s plenty bright before that as the sun doesn’t dip very deep before the horizon. In fact we don’t get real night time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

md23040 wrote: »
    Why would people on London be unhappy the clocks go forward start of February? Sunrise there is 7.30am with light building from around 6.50am, and they have sun set about 4.40pm at moment and would gain an extra hours light when most people are out and about. Sunrise is 8.15am in North West Ireland with light emerging from 7.30am. But each to their own.

Yeh he got that totally wrong. Sunrise is later here.

The best compromise is the end of February, not the start. If we set the clocks forward in a month the sunset would be about 7pm and the sunrise about where it is now, which is 40 minutes earlier than a month ago.

And due to the rapid changes in March sunrise will be earlier more than 15 minutes a week.

4 months of winter time makes sense. 5 months makes no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,134 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Interesting to hear that clocks, in the 19thC had a second minute hand, giving local time.
    It should change in Mid Feb at the latest. 8 weeks at most, each side of the shortest day. March is ridicolous.

• Advertisement

How much brightness do you need. Summertime sunrise is 5 AM but it’s plenty bright before that as the sun doesn’t dip very deep before the horizon. In fact we don’t get real night time.

I'm referring to now, at this time of the year and throughout Spring. But how much brightness do you need in the evening in June for that matter? Why do we need it to be bright until after 11 pm? Why is that better than 4am?

Why can't we just stick with actual real scientific time? And stop all the associated adverse effects (increased car crashes, increased heart attacks, poorer academic performance, signigicant decreased quality of life for several weeks in Spring) that come from messing around with it.

Advertisement