Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anti-speeding adverts - effective?

• 23-10-2016 11:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,710 ✭✭✭✭

2 "slow down" TV Adverts. one Present one being shown from Ireland, and one shown a number of years back in UK , which one do you find the most effective for getting the message though? (if any of them)

Which one shocks you the most? (if any) - does the 'shock factor' work

Do you find any of them effective? - would any of these types of adverts have any effect on you?

I find the latest Irish one from the RSA weird but if it does the job I suppose, cant be a bad thing.

Apologies in advance if its been discussed before on here, also apologies I did not know whether to post it in Motors section or TV Adverts section on boards or where so I have posted it up in AH for discussion.

The Irish TV Advert running at the moment:

The older UK one:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,710 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

I think the penny has dropped and it just clicked with me looking at the Irish one again. The driver is doing 60kmh and looking at all the things around and not concentrating on the road and road signs and missed the 50kmh speed sign - is that what its all about?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 124 ✭✭Dark sun

I don't find them effective on our roads take a drive on any motorway and drive the speed limit and see how many cars pass the speed limits.

Although the road deaths are coming down in Ireland but some of that would be because our cars safety standards would be much better and better quality roads compared to years ago still doesn't stop people speeding.

Dark sun wrote: »
    I don't find them effective on our roads take a drive on any motorway and drive the speed limit and see how many cars pass the speed limits.

do you think that has a knock-on effect with people seeing them pass and not get caught and then thinking "feckit , what am I sticking to the limit for like an eejit whilst all these others are passing and getting away with it" and then joining in - I think it has that effect a lot of times

Mind u some people could fall in sh!t and still come out smelling of roses, in other words they could be doing 100kmh on a 80km/h road and never ever get caught or done - but me I could most probably to 52km/h in a 50km/h and get the feckin book thrown at me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

No I switch the channel if those ads come on

• Advertisement

Although the road deaths are coming down in Ireland but some of that would be because our cars safety standards would be much better and better quality roads compared to years ago still doesn't stop people speeding.

these self-driving cars that are becoming to seem to be a reality in the next 5 years, they are bound to stick to the speed limit and have sensors before they hit people/something - if that works as well as it should that should make the roads even more safer do you reckon?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭Totofan99

I do think they are good ads. But like another poster said, people will still speed. Will ads like those result in less people speeding? I don't know but I would hope so.

On a related note, this ad from the RSA is very effective I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

My b/f is not from Ireland and finds the ads shocking/upsetting.

I think I am so used to seeing these types of ads that I am somewhat desensitised to the content.

I did find the RSA ones featuring family members talking about loved ones they'd lost very upsetting.

Totofan99 wrote: »
    I do think they are good ads. But like another poster said, people will still speed. Will ads like those result in less people speeding? I don't know but I would hope so.

oh God thats a strange one!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

Road deaths are very low in Ireland at the moment - I know there has been a slight increase this year. Compare us to the States and we are doing brilliantly.

I'm sure I read some where that those ads have no effect on improving driving, but what they do is actually increase the publics appetite for road safety measures.

Penalty points were only politically possible to implement after extensive shocking Road safety ads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

The anti-speeding ad which sticks in the mind is the one where your man celebrates his goal with a couple of pints. Then he's driving all along all happy, singing 'there's nowhere I'd rather be', obviously forgetting he's in a ****ty 306, which then flips over into some suburban garden and deads a child.

Have I noticed a softening in one way of the adverts maybe a bit of censoring as the speed averts I saw years ago involved car's flipping and falling onto kids, that one where the kids are playing football in their back yard and the car flips over the garden fence and crushes them - that was shocking!

And even at that UK black and white one the car ploughs into the child,

But on the latest RSA advert the father and daughter are crossing the road and the scene stops there leaving it to imagination of the advert watcher ... wheras maybe years ago you would see the car actually plough into the girl and her father. Maybe they have been told to tone down the ads a bit or maybe they think it has more effect if they cut off the scene just at the right point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Eamondomc

Hammer89 wrote: »
    The anti-speeding ad which sticks in the mind is the one where your man celebrates his goal with a couple of pints. Then he's driving all along all happy, singing 'there's nowhere I'd rather be', obviously forgetting he's in a ****ty 306, which then flips over into some suburban garden and deads a child.

I think that's a not drink and drive ad.

I was working with a guy not long ago and I wanted him to speed it up a bit, he replied, it was on the telly last night, speed kills, fcuk that, I ll stick to my limit!

these self-driving cars that are becoming to seem to be a reality in the next 5 years, they are bound to stick to the speed limit and have sensors before they hit people/something - if that works as well as it should that should make the roads even more safer do you reckon?

Of course that would make roads a lot safer the majority of accidents would be down to driver error just take a look at the Garda Traffic Twitter page to see some people who share the road with you, you'll be shocked at the state some of the cars, and that's only the one that have been caught plenty still out there who take no notice to safety on our roads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Ferrari3600

No I switch the channel if those ads come on

I switch the channel when any ads come on. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

Completely pointless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Ferrari3600

I do vaguely remember that one. It put me off buying a French car.

Not sure if that was the intention of the ad, mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭Totofan99

I do vaguely remember that one. It put me off buying a French car.

Not sure if that was the intention of the ad, mind.

It kinda put me off that Fleetwood Mac song. Don't think that was the intention of the ad either.

I wonder when we do get these self-driving (driver-less) cars on the roads how long it will be before the passengers being transported get fed up with the cars sticking to the speed limits and some clever 'hackers' out there messing around with the electronics and making them go over the speed limit with a hack. I bet that will happen.

there will always be Some people , and I dunno why, whether they just dont like conforming, or whether they like to take chances/gamble, whether they are late for meetings/work, showing off to their friends/other passengers, or just simply like the thrill and adrenaline rush of speed just dont want to stick to the road limits - that seems to be a fact - as long as all that's there I dont think these adverts would be effective on those drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,233 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

I switch the channel when these Ads come on.
    I think they're completely pointless, everyone's de-sensitised to them at this stage.
    The type of driver they need to target pays no heed to them.
    They should increase the traffic corps numbers back to it's pre-recession levels.
    The strategy of replacing gards with revenue generating speed vans ins't working.
    The Ad budget would be better spent in providing grants to motorists who buy new cars with collision avoidance technology.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

When do we get the "stop driving like gob****es and crashing into each other on the motorway all the time" ads

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Skyfarm

i often wondered why they never put crashed cars at junctions,roundabouts with a sign/s saying this could be you

or visiting hospitals with drink drivers and see the effects of weekend drinking,school visits etc,it probably happens but should be more visualise and open

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Of course they don't work but I guess they give employment to the actors and creative minds behind them. Sh*t like this is ignored by people until they're personally affected doesn't matter how ingenious/confronting/shocking the advert is.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,849 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The RSA ad looks like an ad for distracted driving rather than speeding.

I've found that the people rarely stick to 50 or 60km/h limits, I use cruise control on a lot of these roads and nearly always have cars disappear in the distance, and rarely exceed 80km/h, problem is that they stick to the 80km/h in the lower zones as well as the higher ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 irishjohn104

The English one really hits home the difference of 5 km in stopping distance??.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Totofan99 wrote: »

I have to say I think this is a very good ad.

however one of the comments on youtube cracked me up;

"it would probably be more believable if it wasn't a windows phone!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

The 306 was a great drivers car, often threw mine around bends with abandon, while ignoring any road safety ads, without it flipping over.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Ads are good, but ultimately we need a shift in cultural change.
    Hopefully the ads will help, but more needs to happen.
    We're slowly seeing it with drink driving, and now it needs to happen with speeds / reckless driving.

That said, I think this is a very poignant advert, and good that it didn't focus on the stereotypical 'boy racer'.
    This hit me right in the feels.

We can all be at fault here...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

There should be more ads focused on the rules of the road and etiquette.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

They should have do real stories with people who've been affected by dangerous driving or speeding. Like that stop smoking advert with the guy Gerry I think his name was?
    I think those would work better if they can get people to do them, i understand it would be very difficult for this people.

Advertisement