Advertisement
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)

anti-speeding adverts - effective?

124

Comments

  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭ Jesus.


    What a load of nonsense. In the last few years there's been ads on phones, attentive driving, drink driving, drug driving, driving while tired, driving without a seatbelt, as well as over a dozen instructional videos on different maneuvers and situations.

    Its a pity they don't do one about driving in the left lane unless you're overtaking


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭ Little CuChulainn


    Jesus. wrote: »
    Its a pity they don't do one about driving in the left lane unless you're overtaking

    Actually they did. They did a campaign of about six ads on safe driving including driving on a motorway (including lane use), keeping distance from the drive in front and using a roundabout safely.

    http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Road-Safety/Campaigns/Current-road-safety-campaigns/Better-Safer-Driver/


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭ Steve F


    N53 between Haskballcross and Dundalk Co Louth No hard shoulder, quite a few bad bends in places, blind entrances 100 kph
    R178 stretch between Ballykelly and Carrickmacross Co Louth, Superb road,straight,great visability,wider than N53 as it has a hard shoulder yet it is 80kph
    I know everyone will say one is an R and one is N but when you are stuck behind someone on the R road tootling along at 70-75 because it's a 80 road and you are scared to overtake because you will be exceeding the speed limit and Mr Gatso is waiting down the road with a speed "trap"
    Why can't we have variable speed limits where good "safe" parts of roads are 100 and poor "dangerous" parts of same roads are 80?


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭ Eamondomc


    Steve F wrote: »
    N53 between Haskballcross and Dundalk Co Louth No hard shoulder, quite a few bad bends in places, blind entrances 100 kph
    R178 stretch between Ballykelly and Carrickmacross Co Louth, Superb road,straight,great visability,wider than N53 as it has a hard shoulder yet it is 80kph
    I know everyone will say one is an R and one is N but when you are stuck behind someone on the R road tootling along at 70-75 because it's a 80 road and you are scared to overtake because you will be exceeding the speed limit and Mr Gatso is waiting down the road with a speed "trap"
    Why can't we have variable speed limits where good "safe" parts of roads are 100 and poor "dangerous" parts of same roads are 80?

    Is it not legal to exceed the speed limit while overtaking, I always thought it was?


  • Registered Users Posts: 18 ✭✭✭ jakethepirate1


    If I'm being honest I used to speed a fair bit. Not at a stupid speed but still not sensible. What scared me into slowing down is the amount of crashes that have happened on my road in the past two years, the majority of them being single car crashes. Its a National road and is relatively wide and straight for the most part. So people think that it is safe to take chances. I can't count the amount of times I have been late for work because the road has been closed because of a crash. My colleagues have said to me that they think the road is cursed. Even my young son has asked me why there are so many crashes and why do people speed. That scared me into slowing down. I think every single crash that happens, no matter how big or small should be photographed and put up on the Garda Facebook/Twitter account. Obviously taking care to be considerate of the family of those involved, so just taking a picture of the car and the damage and uploading after family has been notified where it has been fatal. That way it not only raises awareness of the number of collisions every day, but also might work as a deterrant because people don't want their car being broadcast particularly if they were in the wrong.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭ Steve F


    Eamondomc wrote: »
    Is it not legal to exceed the speed limit while overtaking, I always thought it was?

    Yes,yes...but you HAVE missed the point slightly,no? :)
    Steve


  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Shenshen


    Steve F wrote: »
    N53 between Haskballcross and Dundalk Co Louth No hard shoulder, quite a few bad bends in places, blind entrances 100 kph
    R178 stretch between Ballykelly and Carrickmacross Co Louth, Superb road,straight,great visability,wider than N53 as it has a hard shoulder yet it is 80kph
    I know everyone will say one is an R and one is N but when you are stuck behind someone on the R road tootling along at 70-75 because it's a 80 road and you are scared to overtake because you will be exceeding the speed limit and Mr Gatso is waiting down the road with a speed "trap"
    Why can't we have variable speed limits where good "safe" parts of roads are 100 and poor "dangerous" parts of same roads are 80?

    Because that would mean hiring people to actually go out, look at the road, tick a lot of boxes and have plenty of tea breaks.
    Not to mention having to shell out for new road signs.

    As it's the councils who need to apply for "special" speed limits (as in, limits that differ from the national limits which are tied to what type the road is considered to be), I can't see that happen in any grand scale.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭ Little CuChulainn


    Shenshen wrote: »
    Because that would mean hiring people to actually go out, look at the road, tick a lot of boxes and have plenty of tea breaks.
    Not to mention having to shell out for new road signs.

    As it's the councils who need to apply for "special" speed limits (as in, limits that differ from the national limits which are tied to what type the road is considered to be), I can't see that happen in any grand scale.

    Are you sure your info isn't outdated? National limits don't exist anymore do they? Councils often review speed limits and road signage on request. How many times have any of you actually written in to a council about a speed limit in an area?


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,188 wil


    Are you sure your info isn't outdated? National limits don't exist anymore do they? Councils often review speed limits and road signage on request. How many times have any of you actually written in to a council about a speed limit in an area?
    Many many limits are a joke, but that's been said so many times it's become a joke in itself. Unfortunately many requests to councils have resulted in even more inexplicable, laughable and expensive solutions. Yes, I've spoken to council engineers.
    Many limits are based more on politics and other issues, way before safety. Back in the good old days it was desireable that roads passing your land were lower because that gave a better chance of getting that land rezoned residential. Hence dual carriageways "inexplicably" slowed to 60 kph. Yet roads passing well built up areas, factories, passing through golf courses (inconveniently close to halting sites), winding roads you'd be skidding off at 60 kph, all rated to be legally driven on at 100 kph.

    As today's deteriorating stats show, concentrating on so called "speeding" at the expense of most everything else is foolish.

    It happened in the USA. They used to be well up in the safety leagues, but at some point they started concentrating on making cars safer and reduced emphasis on driver training, so even despite having a reasonably visible enforcement policy, they plummeted down the safety leagues.

    We now have speed vans popping up everywhere, people driving slower than ever, but little else and our road death stats are on the way up. Go figure:(


  • Registered Users Posts: 15,937 ✭✭✭✭ osarusan


    wil wrote: »
    and our road death stats are on the way up. Go figure:(

    No they aren't. Last year was the 2nd lowest total ever, and the numbers are less than half what they were a decade ago.

    2006 365

    2007 338

    2008 279

    2009 238

    2010 212

    2011 186

    2012 162

    2013 190

    2014 197

    2015 165


  • Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Shenshen


    Are you sure your info isn't outdated? National limits don't exist anymore do they? Councils often review speed limits and road signage on request. How many times have any of you actually written in to a council about a speed limit in an area?

    Citizen Information seems to think they exist, so I took their word for it.

    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/roads_and_safety/road_traffic_speed_limits_in_ireland.html


  • Registered Users Posts: 28,793 ScumLord


    Eamondomc wrote: »
    Is it not legal to exceed the speed limit while overtaking, I always thought it was?
    Is it? The speed vans did a blitzcrieg in my area recently and of course many people who saw the vans would jam on the brakes and crawl past at 60kph even though the limit is 100. I always overtake them staying inside the speed limit while passing the speed van. But I guess I'd have a bit more leeway when passing.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭ Steve F


    Are you sure your info isn't outdated? National limits don't exist anymore do they? Councils often review speed limits and road signage on request. How many times have any of you actually written in to a council about a speed limit in an area?

    Very good point


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭ jackofalltrades


    osarusan wrote: »
    No they aren't. Last year was the 2nd lowest total ever, and the numbers are less than half what they were a decade ago.
    Yes but for this year they're on the way up.
    156 so far this year according to the Garda website.
    Averaging 15 deaths per month and with a bank holiday weekend approaching.
    We could be looking at 186 deaths this year, which is a good deal up on last years 162.
    These figures are showing us that you can't replace the traffic corp with speed vans.
    No doubt though this will be ignored and they'll be even more speed checks.
    Far be it for the people that have the power to change this to come up with new ideas, or even just copy other countries.


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,246 ✭✭✭✭ bodhrandude


    An ad I always remember was the one with Samantha Mumba doing that David Bowie cover, it was related to speeding but more about wearing your seat belt. The onus being if you are not belted in, someone unnecessarily speeding could do you some damage if they plough into the back of you.

    If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)



  • Registered Users Posts: 26,263 ✭✭✭✭ freshpopcorn


    When in saw this thread tittle I knew it was going to be an Andy From Sligo thread.
    I was young enough when these ads started at I find my generation were sort of just grew up with them and I find we didn't take much notice of them now. I even remember when Gay Byrne was the chairperson of the saying something along the lines of No matter how many crashed cars or bodies we show the message is just not across.
    I remember the ad with the Samantha Mumba song and people saying they always thought of that ad when the song was on the radio.
    I think road deaths have decreased because of the motorways. There used often be cross over collisions on the old N7/N8/Etc before the motorways opening.
    I also think safety features in cars have improved to reduce road deaths. People walk out of collisions which would have being fatal twenty years ago.


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭ Jesus.


    Actually they did. They did a campaign of about six ads on safe driving including driving on a motorway (including lane use), keeping distance from the drive in front and using a roundabout safely.

    http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Road-Safety/Campaigns/Current-road-safety-campaigns/Better-Safer-Driver/

    Well that's not the one you've linked up. No sign of Motorway driving there.


  • Registered Users Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭ Andy From Sligo


    I do think though eventually if people dont sit up and listen and take notice of these ads and information then eventually the government will take things into their own hands (if they havent already in places where there are problems with speeding) and start introducing even more draconian measures to 'force' people to slow down thus re-enforcing the 'nanny state'

    Making roads narrower, speed humps (sleeping policeman) , chicanes, roundabouts, traffic signals all that jazz to force people to drive slower have already been introduced to make people drive slower and i just think if people continue to drive over the speed limits even more things like this will be introduced by local and national authorities


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭ Jimmy Garlic


    I do think though eventually if people dont sit up and listen and take notice of these ads and information then eventually the government will take things into their own hands (if they havent already in places where there are problems with speeding) and start introducing even more draconian measures to 'force' people to slow down thus re-enforcing the 'nanny state'

    Making roads narrower, speed humps (sleeping policeman) , chicanes, roundabouts, traffic signals all that jazz to force people to drive slower have already been introduced to make people drive slower and i just think if people continue to drive over the speed limits even more things like this will be introduced by local and national authorities

    People in a village near where I come from recently dumped silage bales on the spot where the speed van used to hang out to catch people coming down a steep hill out of the village on their way home from mass and the like. The governments primary concern is extracting money from people.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭ Little CuChulainn


    Jesus. wrote: »
    Well that's not the one you've linked up. No sign of Motorway driving there.

    There are multiple ads in the TV Ads box. The first three are about motorway driving.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭ gerogerigegege


    waste of money.
    as are those digital signs saying slow down. 22g a piece
    people did driving lessons and a test. they know the rules


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭ Jesus.


    There are multiple ads in the TV Ads box. The first three are about motorway driving.

    Do you work for the RSA Sir?


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭ Totofan99


    Eamondomc wrote: »
    Is it not legal to exceed the speed limit while overtaking, I always thought it was?

    "You must not break the speed limit, even when overtaking."

    Page 54 here: http://www.rulesoftheroad.ie/Rules_of_the_road.pdf


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭ Little CuChulainn


    Jesus. wrote: »
    Do you work for the RSA Sir?

    No. Do you? Is that the best you have? Can't beat someone in an argument so try and make them a shill instead.


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭ Jesus.


    No. Do you? Is that the best you have? Can't beat someone in an argument so try and make them a shill instead.

    Not at all. I finally found your clip when you showed me where it was. I'm just wondering why you haven't mentioned the fish in a barrel approach to speed detection that's all.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭ Little CuChulainn


    Jesus. wrote: »
    Not at all. I finally found your clip when you showed me where it was. I'm just wondering why you haven't mentioned the fish in a barrel approach to speed detection that's all.

    Why would I?


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭ hadepsx


    What I unintentionally got from the Irish ad is that the family didn't bother to look before stepping out onto the pedestrian crossing.the amount of people that just step out this way is shocking. I always tell my children to make sure the car has stopped as you can not rely on any driver. (Obviously I also spotted it's aim was to not speed and look around everywhere bar the road ahead).


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 47 ✭✭✭ WindomEarle


    waste of money.
    as are those digital signs saying slow down. 22g a piece
    people did driving lessons and a test. they know the rules

    That's not their main purpose. They also provide advance notice of any major blockages.


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭ Jesus.


    Why would I?

    It would lend a bit of credence to your otherwise obvious insistence that the RSA's "speed kills" spiel is genuine and productive.

    You reading me Cuchulainn?


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭ Little CuChulainn


    Jesus. wrote: »
    It would lend a bit of credence to your otherwise obvious insistence that the RSA's "speed kills" spiel is genuine and productive.

    You reading me Cuchulainn?

    Not really sure what your point is.


Advertisement