Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

anti-speeding adverts - effective?

• 23-10-2016 11:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,840 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

2 "slow down" TV Adverts. one Present one being shown from Ireland, and one shown a number of years back in UK , which one do you find the most effective for getting the message though? (if any of them)

Which one shocks you the most? (if any) - does the 'shock factor' work

Do you find any of them effective? - would any of these types of adverts have any effect on you?

I find the latest Irish one from the RSA weird but if it does the job I suppose, cant be a bad thing.

Apologies in advance if its been discussed before on here, also apologies I did not know whether to post it in Motors section or TV Adverts section on boards or where so I have posted it up in AH for discussion.

The Irish TV Advert running at the moment:

The older UK one:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,840 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

I think the penny has dropped and it just clicked with me looking at the Irish one again. The driver is doing 60kmh and looking at all the things around and not concentrating on the road and road signs and missed the 50kmh speed sign - is that what its all about?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 124 ✭✭Dark sun

I don't find them effective on our roads take a drive on any motorway and drive the speed limit and see how many cars pass the speed limits.

Although the road deaths are coming down in Ireland but some of that would be because our cars safety standards would be much better and better quality roads compared to years ago still doesn't stop people speeding.

Dark sun wrote: »
    I don't find them effective on our roads take a drive on any motorway and drive the speed limit and see how many cars pass the speed limits.

do you think that has a knock-on effect with people seeing them pass and not get caught and then thinking "feckit , what am I sticking to the limit for like an eejit whilst all these others are passing and getting away with it" and then joining in - I think it has that effect a lot of times

Mind u some people could fall in sh!t and still come out smelling of roses, in other words they could be doing 100kmh on a 80km/h road and never ever get caught or done - but me I could most probably to 52km/h in a 50km/h and get the feckin book thrown at me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

No I switch the channel if those ads come on

• Advertisement

Although the road deaths are coming down in Ireland but some of that would be because our cars safety standards would be much better and better quality roads compared to years ago still doesn't stop people speeding.

these self-driving cars that are becoming to seem to be a reality in the next 5 years, they are bound to stick to the speed limit and have sensors before they hit people/something - if that works as well as it should that should make the roads even more safer do you reckon?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭Totofan99

I do think they are good ads. But like another poster said, people will still speed. Will ads like those result in less people speeding? I don't know but I would hope so.

On a related note, this ad from the RSA is very effective I reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

My b/f is not from Ireland and finds the ads shocking/upsetting.

I think I am so used to seeing these types of ads that I am somewhat desensitised to the content.

I did find the RSA ones featuring family members talking about loved ones they'd lost very upsetting.

Totofan99 wrote: »
    I do think they are good ads. But like another poster said, people will still speed. Will ads like those result in less people speeding? I don't know but I would hope so.

oh God thats a strange one!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

Road deaths are very low in Ireland at the moment - I know there has been a slight increase this year. Compare us to the States and we are doing brilliantly.

I'm sure I read some where that those ads have no effect on improving driving, but what they do is actually increase the publics appetite for road safety measures.

Penalty points were only politically possible to implement after extensive shocking Road safety ads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

The anti-speeding ad which sticks in the mind is the one where your man celebrates his goal with a couple of pints. Then he's driving all along all happy, singing 'there's nowhere I'd rather be', obviously forgetting he's in a ****ty 306, which then flips over into some suburban garden and deads a child.

Have I noticed a softening in one way of the adverts maybe a bit of censoring as the speed averts I saw years ago involved car's flipping and falling onto kids, that one where the kids are playing football in their back yard and the car flips over the garden fence and crushes them - that was shocking!

And even at that UK black and white one the car ploughs into the child,

But on the latest RSA advert the father and daughter are crossing the road and the scene stops there leaving it to imagination of the advert watcher ... wheras maybe years ago you would see the car actually plough into the girl and her father. Maybe they have been told to tone down the ads a bit or maybe they think it has more effect if they cut off the scene just at the right point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Eamondomc

Hammer89 wrote: »
    The anti-speeding ad which sticks in the mind is the one where your man celebrates his goal with a couple of pints. Then he's driving all along all happy, singing 'there's nowhere I'd rather be', obviously forgetting he's in a ****ty 306, which then flips over into some suburban garden and deads a child.

I think that's a not drink and drive ad.

I was working with a guy not long ago and I wanted him to speed it up a bit, he replied, it was on the telly last night, speed kills, fcuk that, I ll stick to my limit!

these self-driving cars that are becoming to seem to be a reality in the next 5 years, they are bound to stick to the speed limit and have sensors before they hit people/something - if that works as well as it should that should make the roads even more safer do you reckon?

Of course that would make roads a lot safer the majority of accidents would be down to driver error just take a look at the Garda Traffic Twitter page to see some people who share the road with you, you'll be shocked at the state some of the cars, and that's only the one that have been caught plenty still out there who take no notice to safety on our roads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Ferrari3600

No I switch the channel if those ads come on

I switch the channel when any ads come on. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

Completely pointless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Ferrari3600

I do vaguely remember that one. It put me off buying a French car.

Not sure if that was the intention of the ad, mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭Totofan99

I do vaguely remember that one. It put me off buying a French car.

Not sure if that was the intention of the ad, mind.

It kinda put me off that Fleetwood Mac song. Don't think that was the intention of the ad either.

I wonder when we do get these self-driving (driver-less) cars on the roads how long it will be before the passengers being transported get fed up with the cars sticking to the speed limits and some clever 'hackers' out there messing around with the electronics and making them go over the speed limit with a hack. I bet that will happen.

there will always be Some people , and I dunno why, whether they just dont like conforming, or whether they like to take chances/gamble, whether they are late for meetings/work, showing off to their friends/other passengers, or just simply like the thrill and adrenaline rush of speed just dont want to stick to the road limits - that seems to be a fact - as long as all that's there I dont think these adverts would be effective on those drivers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

I switch the channel when these Ads come on.
    I think they're completely pointless, everyone's de-sensitised to them at this stage.
    The type of driver they need to target pays no heed to them.
    They should increase the traffic corps numbers back to it's pre-recession levels.
    The strategy of replacing gards with revenue generating speed vans ins't working.
    The Ad budget would be better spent in providing grants to motorists who buy new cars with collision avoidance technology.

• Advertisement

When do we get the "stop driving like gob****es and crashing into each other on the motorway all the time" ads

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Skyfarm

i often wondered why they never put crashed cars at junctions,roundabouts with a sign/s saying this could be you

or visiting hospitals with drink drivers and see the effects of weekend drinking,school visits etc,it probably happens but should be more visualise and open

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Of course they don't work but I guess they give employment to the actors and creative minds behind them. Sh*t like this is ignored by people until they're personally affected doesn't matter how ingenious/confronting/shocking the advert is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The RSA ad looks like an ad for distracted driving rather than speeding.

I've found that the people rarely stick to 50 or 60km/h limits, I use cruise control on a lot of these roads and nearly always have cars disappear in the distance, and rarely exceed 80km/h, problem is that they stick to the 80km/h in the lower zones as well as the higher ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 irishjohn104

The English one really hits home the difference of 5 km in stopping distance??.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,721 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Totofan99 wrote: »

I have to say I think this is a very good ad.

however one of the comments on youtube cracked me up;

"it would probably be more believable if it wasn't a windows phone!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

The 306 was a great drivers car, often threw mine around bends with abandon, while ignoring any road safety ads, without it flipping over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Ads are good, but ultimately we need a shift in cultural change.
    Hopefully the ads will help, but more needs to happen.
    We're slowly seeing it with drink driving, and now it needs to happen with speeds / reckless driving.

That said, I think this is a very poignant advert, and good that it didn't focus on the stereotypical 'boy racer'.
    This hit me right in the feels.

We can all be at fault here...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

There should be more ads focused on the rules of the road and etiquette.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

They should have do real stories with people who've been affected by dangerous driving or speeding. Like that stop smoking advert with the guy Gerry I think his name was?
    I think those would work better if they can get people to do them, i understand it would be very difficult for this people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

There should be more ads focused on the rules of the road and etiquette.

I think that's a good idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Ray Darcy did a road safety ad a few years back that could only be aired on radio after the watershed due to it using the F word. I only ever heard it once. The BAI probably ordered that it be removed as it could be offensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Irish drivers are overwhelmingly poor at driving. I think the most effective ads are those that actually teach people how to drive because many people don't already know what the ad shows them. The thing with speeding is many drivers think that any speed is ok once the conditions are right. They have absolute confidence in their own ability to control the vehicle and assess the surrounding conditions. You'll often hear people in threads like this say something like "speed didn't cause the crash, bad driving did". The only speeding ad I ever though was effective is the one that showed the difference between impacts at different speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

More and more people now are whizzing through ad breaks whilst watching a recording...who sits through ad breaks these days when there are multiple ways of avoiding them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

Skyfarm wrote: »
    i often wondered why they never put crashed cars at junctions,roundabouts with a sign/s saying this could be you

or visiting hospitals with drink drivers and see the effects of weekend drinking,school visits etc,it probably happens but should be more visualise and open
    I was driving in Thailand a few years back and on a stretch of road was an elevated platform with the remains of a crashed car on it. There was no sign or anything but it made you think "f**k sake nobody got out of that in one piece." Irony was cars were speeding by me but I couldn't help thinking would it make a difference if it was done here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,692 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Very good ad from New Zealand a few years back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

They should have do real stories with people who've been affected by dangerous driving or speeding. Like that stop smoking advert with the guy Gerry I think his name was?
    I think those would work better if they can get people to do them, i understand it would be very difficult for this people.

They did them already. They were on around Christmas a few years ago.

A friend of mine was killed in a road traffic accident and her mother did one of the ads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

osarusan wrote: »
    Very good ad from New Zealand a few years back.

That's some advert. Got goose bumps watching that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

We have mixed messages about road safety in this country.

Only today a judge reduced (on appeal) the sentence of a convicted drunk driver who killed a child.

What possible grounds could the judiciary have for doing this. He killed the child a bit less than previously thought? He's more sorry about it that he was originally?

I'd love for the judge to have to sit down in a room across the table from the child's parents and explain exactly why yer man deserves to get out of prison earlier, or at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The only thing that slowed me down as a young driver was actually driving too fast losing control and crashing

never took chances after that,never crashed since

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I think these ads are counter productive. People seem to have an assumption that driving slow equals driving safe and it's far from the truth. I see people in cars not paying attention to what they're doing, either they're engrossed in conversation, looking out the side windows, on the phone, or just day dreaming, but because they're doing 70kph on a 100kph road they think their safe, even though they wobble all over the place and brake in all the wrong places.

We need proper driving lessons in this country. This safe is slow campaign is like a band aid they found in the bin, it's not helping and it's just creating an infection of utter ignorance when it comes to driving. Now we have people out the country that are too afraid to overtake a tractor doing less than 50kph. Get two or three of them type of people in a row and you've got tailbacks just begging for an accident to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

Yeah, the "speed kills" thing is a bit of a red herring. Sure, you are more likely to be killed in a collision at a higher speed but speed in itself doesn't cause the collision in the first place.

It's every second person i meet being on their mobile while driving, the numerous people i meet daily eating while driving, people arguing with their child in the backseat, yer man on his way home after 'only having a few' and/or people just straight up bumbling around in a selfish daze not actually just doing the only thing you are supposed to do when driving which is to ****ing drive.

The RSA ads should just be white text on a black background saying: "Don't be a moron. Drive your ****ing car properly or else you will die or kill someone else."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

Valentina wrote: »
    They did them already. They were on around Christmas a few years ago.

A friend of mine was killed in a road traffic accident and her mother did one of the ads.

Of course they did, they completely slipped my mind. But thinking back I remember them now.

They have absolute confidence in their own ability to control the vehicle and assess the surrounding conditions. You'll often hear people in threads like this say something like "speed didn't cause the crash, bad driving did".

Didn't take long.
    lawlolawl wrote: »
    Yeah, the "speed kills" thing is a bit of a red herring. Sure, you are more likely to be killed in a collision at a higher speed but speed in itself doesn't cause the collision in the first place.

Didn't take long.
    But what he said is true. Slowing down doesn't make up for being a terrible driver. "Speed kills" is a nonsense statement.

ScumLord wrote: »
    But what he said is true. Slowing down doesn't make up for being a terrible driver. "Speed kills" is a nonsense statement.

Slowing down gives you more time to react to unexpected events and conditions. It also reduced the overall damage caused in the event of a collision. Slowing down also gives others more time to react to your driving.

Slowing down gives you more time to react to unexpected events and conditions. It also reduced the overall damage caused in the event of a collision. Slowing down also gives others more time to react to your driving.
    Unexpected events can happen at any speed, being aware of your surroundings can prevent "unexpected events" rather than just minimising the damage. This is precisely the problem I have with the Irish approach. Instead of dealing with the actual problem of terrible driving we'll just tell them to slow down so they do less damage when they inevitably have an accident. Makes accident reporting easier for the state too. If he was speeding they can just take that as the reason for the accident and go home without investigating anything else.

People don't just fall out of the sky when your driving, they don't jump out from behind bushes, there are times and situations when you're likely to encounter people.

There are a lot of slow drivers that aren't driving slow out of consideration, that's just the speed they want to do. I've encountered plenty of people doing 70kph on a main road and when they get to a town limit they'll continue on at 70kph.

The majority of Irish drivers don't know enough about driving. Telling them to slow down is the very least the government can do, it also takes any responsibility off them to make sure the roads are auitable for cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 jakethepirate1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9swS1Vl6Ok

Videos like these are effective. Draws attention to the fact that even using your phone to change the song can distract you for long enough to crash. And reminds that it's not just our own lives we're putting at risk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Say you were a wonderful driver who can handle a car way better than anyone else. You're cruising down the road at 20kph over the marked speed limit because the road conditions are far better than those twats in the RSA think they are, they're just pandering to the slowcoaches. All of a sudden a youngfella on a bike emerges from a gate on a bike, crosses the hard shoulder and stops with his front wheel on the road. There's an oncoming car, you can't swerve around him. You have to use your well serviced, top of the range brakes. You almost get stopped in time. Almost.

Now, are you going to spend the rest of your life saying to yourself that stupid wee bastard shouldn't have been out on the road, or are you going to say to yourself that if I'd being going a bit easier I wouldn't have killed him.

Speed does kill. I'm sorry, lots of great drivers don't like hearing that, but it does.

Unexpected events can happen at any speed, being aware of your surroundings can prevent "unexpected events" rather than just minimising the damage. This is precisely the problem I have with the Irish approach. Instead of dealing with the actual problem of terrible driving we'll just tell them to slow down so they do less damage when they inevitably have an accident. Makes accident reporting easier for the state too. If he was speeding they can just take that as the reason for the accident and go home without investigating anything else.

People don't just fall out of the sky when your driving, they don't jump out from behind bushes, there are times and situations when you're likely to encounter people.

There are a lot of slow drivers that aren't driving slow out of consideration, that's just the speed they want to do. I've encountered plenty of people doing 70kph on a main road and when they get to a town limit they'll continue on at 70kph.

The majority of Irish drivers don't know enough about driving. Telling them to slow down is the very least the government can do, it also takes any responsibility off them to make sure the roads are auitable for cars.

Being aware of your surroundings can help you prevent some unexpected events but not all. That's what makes them unexpected. Sometimes people will simply jump out in front of you. Sometimes things will hit your car without warning. Sometimes other drivers will respond in an unexpected manner to hazards. You can't predict or plan for every eventuality and the slower you are going, the more time you have to react to that thing you did not expect.

• Advertisement
Advertisement