Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Brewing Potsize

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Is there anywhere to buy a 30L induction brewpot in Ireland?

http://www.hughjordan.com/en/336-litre-pujadas-stainless-steel-stockpot

You can get almost anything once you have the readies for it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

That's steep alright, will look in the UK so.

My brew has been fermenting now for 2 days, do you think it's too cold? I have it wrapped in a blanket. FNaB3wH.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,716 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

no - 18 is perfect.

So I plan on dry hopping this, I've a couple of questions.

When fermentation finishes, should the krausen/foam fall into the beer so I can see liquid at the top of the fermentor?

I bought a nylon hop bag, I was planning on putting the dry hop pellets into this and just throwing on top of the beer. Do I need to weigh down the bag? (Seeing plenty of opinions on this online)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

should the krausen/foam fall into the beer so I can see liquid at the top of the fermentor?
    It will.
    I was planning on putting the dry hop pellets into this and just throwing on top of the beer.
    I don't see the point of putting pellets in a bag. The pellets will just break apart anyway.

So I'll just chuck the pellets on top when fermentation finishes, planning on dry hopping for 5 days all in the primary FV.

Next stage question - I'm going to syphon the beer into a bottling FV, but before I do I'm going to dilute the appropriate amount of corn sugar with water and pour into the bottling FV to carbonate the beer. Give it a gentle stir so as not to airate the beer, leave sit for 10mins then start bottling.
    Does this sound correct?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

So I'll just chuck the pellets on top when fermentation finishes, planning on dry hopping for 5 days all in the primary FV.

Next stage question - I'm going to syphon the beer into a bottling FV, but before I do I'm going to dilute the appropriate amount of corn sugar with water and pour into the bottling FV to carbonate the beer. Give it a gentle stir so as not to airate the beer, leave sit for 10mins then start bottling.
    Does this sound correct?

I never bother stirring it, if you syphon on top of the sugar solution it'll mix up grand. Otherwise, sounds good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Use a bag with pellet hops, they are a pain in the arse when siphoning into your bottle bucket

RasTa wrote: »
    Use a bag with pellet hops, they are a pain in the arse when siphoning into your bottle bucket
    So it's easier to take the bag off the top of the beer before syphoning?

I bought an auto syphon, I assume I put that half way into the FV so I don't disturb the sediment at the bottom.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I'll defer to your experience on this one :)
    I bought an auto syphon, I assume I put that half way into the FV so I don't disturb the sediment at the bottom.
    Put it right down to the base. It's designed so it doesn't suck up what's on the bottom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

boil the sugar/water solution, or it could introduce infection

Do you put a sanitized spoon or something in the bag to weigh it down or not?

Do you put a sanitized spoon or something in the bag to weigh it down or not?

I use a few snooker balls

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭BeardySi

I use a few snooker balls

Surely OTT? I've found a single spoon in the bag is enough to weigh it down.

So my OG was about 1.04, just tested it there and its 1.008 so about 4.2% which I'm happy with.

Thing is the beer is quite cloudy in the tester, anything I can do to help clear it? I don't have a spare fridge to cold crash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

bottle it then put the bottles in the fridge is the only thing that you can do really now.

Treadhead wrote: »
    Surely OTT? I've found a single spoon in the bag is enough to weigh it down.

The bag I use is pretty big so just floats if I add a spoon.

Update on this, Fermentation has finished, I threw the bag of hops in earlier with a sanitised spoon (need something heavier next time)

Does it look ok?

IMAG0389.jpg

Advertisement